Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow you just expect everyone to be able to afford a three button mouse? Way to poverty shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm not even sure what "good" keybinds would be in Monster Hunter, at least for the melee weapons. It's like trying to play a fighting game on kb+m.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Stux posted:

https://i.imgur.com/r0jqrx9.mp4
look what you can do when you simply plug in a controller liek a normal person. rise ftw

I even went to the store and bought a fresh pack of batteries in case the ones I replaced in my controller were simply dead instead of the controller being dead, but nope, it is the device itself.

This isn't guitar hero, "just buy a controller" really isn't an excuse for awful design sorry that's so offensive, even if you can rebind the keys.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

attempting to play racing and fighting games on a keyboard and raging at how bad it controls

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Triarii posted:

I'm not even sure what "good" keybinds would be in Monster Hunter, at least for the melee weapons. It's like trying to play a fighting game on kb+m.

Weird example considering that K+BM more closely replicates the inputs of most fighting games, so companies are designing fight controllers that are all keypresses

https://twitter.com/Hit_Box/status/1476598968121446405

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just realized PUBG is now called PUBG: Battlegrounds which... since PlayerUnknown and Battlegrounds are already singular words, the fully expanded acronym would be:

PlayerUnknown's Unknown's Battlegrounds Grounds: Battlegrounds

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Something I'll add to the God of War advice list before you play it:

Normal difficulty starts out feeling balanced and ends feeling very easy.

Hard difficulty starts out feeling absurdly tedious but gets slowly easier as the game goes on, eventually hitting something that feels like what "Normal" should be. When I say "tedious" I mean the difficulty is an absolute slog with extremely bullet spongy enemies (or I guess axe spungy in this case), meaning each enemy feels like it takes like 30+ hits to kill while you can only take a few hits from them, and they've very aggressive so more of your time will be spent dodging than hitting.

I'd recommend starting on Normal for the first half or so of a playthrough, then bump the difficulty up to Hard when things start feeling easy.

edit: beaten, sorta kinda.

I thought I remembered that you couldn’t change difficulty but maybe that was God of War difficulty, or turning the difficulty down instead of up.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Was Phoenix Point ever patched to a level where it wasn't a buggy mess? I'm keen to scratch an xcom itch with something that's not just EW or xcom 2.

Other recs for similar games also welcome

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've missed 10 pages but I had to just say God of War is so good on PC holy poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

I thought I remembered that you couldn’t change difficulty but maybe that was God of War difficulty, or turning the difficulty down instead of up.

Yeah, I started on Normal but the GOW difficulty has a menu warning that you can't change it. Is there a NG+?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Barreft posted:

I've missed 10 pages but I had to just say God of War is so good on PC holy poo poo.

I like that one of your weapons is "just punch poo poo"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tirade posted:

Was Phoenix Point ever patched to a level where it wasn't a buggy mess? I'm keen to scratch an xcom itch with something that's not just EW or xcom 2.

it seems fine, I played it a little - the thread here is extremely lukewarm on it, I don't really know where it stands after all the recent updates and expansions

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I started on Normal but the GOW difficulty has a menu warning that you can't change it. Is there a NG+?

Yes there is. At least I think so from when I played it on PS4. Ok back to playing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

it seems fine, I played it a little - the thread here is extremely lukewarm on it, I don't really know where it stands after all the recent updates and expansions

I think the general consensus is "just replay XCOM2."

Which I'm actually doing right now, stuffed to the gills with mods.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

There is. NG+ scales the difficulty up for enemies and gives a few of them some new attacks. It also gives you some new armor and such to craft though most of which is just rescaled versions of regular game armor. I think you can choose your difficulty again for NG+ so if you wanted to you could beat the game on the easiest difficulty and then go into God of War difficulty with all the unlocked skills on NG+ (or vice versa) instead of doing it from scratch. It’s a really good NG+. I think it only scales up once though so no NG++, +++, etc.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Spermando posted:

This is what I'm seeing after updating the driver and rebooting.

Pick your GeForce card, don't set it to auto

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can someone tell me in stupid terms what Nvidia reflex is and why I'd want it for god of war?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

considierng you are the kind of braindead moron to play a sony game you will want to click that box VERY HARd and then pretend you can feel the difference. ganbatte :hai:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm not aware of any games that have specifically THOSE types of puzzles, but if you're open to logic puzzle games in general, I highly recommend the Hexcells series.

Puzzle Agent is another game with a variety of puzzles wrapped in a goofy x-files-esque plot in Scoggins, Minnesota.

:sigh: Already played both. Puzzle Agent wasn't for me, but I loved Hexcells.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I even went to the store and bought a fresh pack of batteries in case the ones I replaced in my controller were simply dead instead of the controller being dead, but nope, it is the device itself.

This isn't guitar hero, "just buy a controller" really isn't an excuse for awful design sorry that's so offensive, even if you can rebind the keys.

You should seriously just refund a game that's clearly meant to be played with a controller if you don't have a working controller.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

considierng you are the kind of braindead moron to play a sony game you will want to click that box VERY HARd and then pretend you can feel the difference. ganbatte :hai:

I needed something simple after just beating SMTV on god's console the Switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

game on :cheers:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is bringing back memories of flipping around with no idea what I was doing but having a great time with the Insect Glaive in World, and maybe I should actually "finish" that game someday.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tirade posted:

Phoenix Point suffers from some real serious jank on top of having a really weird progression curve (researched items are all sidegrades unlike every other example of the genre, and yes aliens still get tougher) It's completable and even fun if you're a fan of Xcomalikes, but it's also noticeably inferior both old X-COM and the FiraxComs.

Play Xenonauts if you haven't - it's basically UFO Defense with a fresh coat of paint and a couple twists on the formula that also has surprisingly good writing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There's also that enormous pirate mod for UFO Defense. I have heard nothing but great things about it but ugghhhh it's so painful to go back to old XCom.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psycho Landlord posted:

Phoenix Point suffers from some real serious jank on top of having a really weird progression curve (researched items are all sidegrades unlike every other example of the genre, and yes aliens still get tougher) It's completable and even fun if you're a fan of Xcomalikes, but it's also noticeably inferior both old X-COM and the FiraxComs.

Play Xenonauts if you haven't - it's basically UFO Defense with a fresh coat of paint and a couple twists on the formula that also has surprisingly good writing.

Gears of war tactics is surprisingly good.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Still haven't played that one myself but I hear that is the case

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that the one with funko pops

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beat Halo 1 :toot:

That game owned. I can see why it was so famous - the story was good/interesting, the enemies were a delight to fight, the twists were fun (343 Guilty Spark! The Flood!) and I had a ton of fun driving and shooting things.

I'm genuinely surprised I managed to live to the ripe ol' age of thirty without finding out what the Flood is, because I went into that unspoiled.

Next up: Halo 2 with more co-op.

Right now, for solo play:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sinteres posted:

You should seriously just refund a game that's clearly meant to be played with a controller if you don't have a working controller.

I was trying out the free demo actually

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

credburn posted:

There's also that enormous pirate mod for UFO Defense. I have heard nothing but great things about it but ugghhhh it's so painful to go back to old XCom.

That specific mod is a real slog. As is XFILES, but to a much lesser extent. Why not just... play Open XCOM as XCOM? Still a classic, and it has lots of nice quality of life features and classic bugs patched. No more getting shot through the thunderbolt, or insanely low item limits.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Casual gamer checking in: I've been playing these logic puzzles and now I'm wondering - are there any like, actual collections of these on steam? I love doing these kinds of puzzles and would enjoy a more gamified element to them.

Some parts of Zoombinis/Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, although the version on Steam redid the art for the titular Zoombinis so they look kinda lame. But there's paths you can take that are entirely logical deduction, though it might take a while to ramp the difficulty up to an adult-appropriate level.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/397430/Zoombinis/

If you liked Hexcells, Tametsi is like that, but more chaotic:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

And Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is Sudoku-esque, but adding more and more mechanics until eventually it gets weird:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/Everyday_Genius_SquareLogic/

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yup. its official. this is the besbt monster hunter

https://i.imgur.com/Vy74kFL.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Awww man, they don't have the Swole Cat chef anymore? :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all cringe has been removed, leaving only the most based experience possible.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stux posted:

all cringe has been removed, leaving only the most based experience possible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stux posted:

For real, I love how quick it is to get into a hunt. The whole game feels a lot more condensed than World in all the right ways. The same formula with a big part of the tedium removed makes it my favorite one yet by far.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

I do like racing games but I have nowhere to put a wheel so I don't bother buying them on PC.

You should try Trackmania for racing-on-keyboard-action. The simplicity of the controls (forward, back, right, left) makes it super easy to play on PC. I've played various versions of the game for a longass time and it makes me sad that more people don't play it. You can also design and play your own tracks, paint your car, etc.

The latest version (2020) is a subscription model that I have mixed feelings about despite the game itself being good (thanks Ubisoft), but if you want a free older version, give this a try:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/11020/TrackMania_Nations_Forever/

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Stux posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Vy74kFL.mp4

I really like that dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002