Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I mean, I doubt they'd add a Bliztballer job without adding Blitzball. And who doesn't want to kill gods by throwing a beach ball at them?

PvP currently kinda sucks. Replace all pvp with blitzball and everyone wins except for the 10 people who would whine on the official forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HackensackBackpack posted:

The yard boat you get for 100 gemstones when you max out Thavnair FATEs is pretty bad, texture-wise.

Beautiful. I must have this abomination

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Grimoire posted:

PvP currently kinda sucks. Replace all pvp with blitzball and everyone wins except for the 10 people who would whine on the official forums

Frontlines (minus Secure) is great so leave it alone!

Still not really sure how to feel about all that pvp stuff they announced for EW. Guess we will see.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I am looking forward to the new reward structure but i'm unclear on what they said about making changes to class design. it sort of sounded like everyone will be DPS with different utility skills but it was really vague.

Speaking of Frontline, i had a game yesterday where we were losing horribly to the yellow team who all had battlehigh 5, but they were so bad at playing objectives that we stole the win from them. A bunch of people in that alliance were from excalibur and spamming goon squad in chat so if it was people from here that game was fun.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't want to have to rebuild my PvP bars again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't want to have to rebuild my PvP bars again.

It can't be that hard to replace all seven buttons

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's probably not popular to say this, but frontline is surprisingly enjoyable for an abandoned mode with a laughably busted rewards structure where 2 of the 4 maps are in the bad to terrible range. Lately I have more fun doing that daily than I do any of the others, by far

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zeruel posted:

A blogpost announcing the OCE servers and the bonuses including 1mil gil for leveling 1-30, and double exp to 80.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lode...N6DCKbJWQutImVM

Anyone have any idea if the "double exp to 80" is only applicable if you don't have a max level job? I really want to bash out as many jobs to 80 as I can.
The ultimate Road to 70 guide
Few notes about road to 70 (now road to 80) from someone who was brokebrained enough to do it twice to get alts leveled.

1) It doubles your *final* exp. What this means is that any other bonuses are also doubled. So the brand new ring, food, FC bonuses, squad manuals, armory bonus, etc. This means that you want to stack as many bonuses as you possibly can.
2) It also works on crafters. Since crafters can stack a bunch of other EXP buffs, you can easily end up with bonuses of up to +1100%.
3) It works on MSQ, side quests, challenge logs, etc, unlike other buffs.

Generally the most efficient order of operations is go far enough into the MSQ to unlock dungeons on a healer or tank, grind out to about level 30-40, then start banging out the MSQ while constantly cycling DPS jobs, while doing daily roulettes on healers/tanks. For the early levels of jobs, hunting/challenge logs are extremely efficient now that they're doubled, you can easily get high enough level to do satosha and copperbell in 20 minutes, tops. Do this for every ARR job as soon as you can. Make sure you have one job a fair bit ahead of the MSQ level-wise, I'd recommend Scholar in order to double up on Summoner. Unlock expansion jobs as soon as you're high enough level for them (or are at ishgard for drk/ast/mch).

With this method you should easily get most of ARR jobs to at least level 60-70 by the end of Shadowbringers, which should take you at most 2-3 weeks if you're skipping cutscenes. Once you have that done (and a job at 80), I'd recommend banging out some crafting just for a change of pace, while doing your daily roulettes. Be sure to go deep enough into Squadrons to get Squadron Battle Manuals if you can't find an FC with level 3 heat of battle.

You have, at minimum, 90 days, so you can take pretty easy here. The main thing is making sure you're spreading the love around and making sure MSQ exp isn't being 'wasted', plus understanding what separates road to 80 from other exp boosts.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I've tried a bit of frontlines for leveling jobs. Like 12(ish?) first of the day queues. I still have never been on the winning team. I either feel useless half the time, or I'm getting hooked, stunned and mobbed from downtown despite trying my best to stick with the team.

I don't plan to do any after getting all my jobs to 90. Not really a fan.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Frontlines (minus Secure) is great so leave it alone!

Oh frontlines rules because of easy quick levels, decent glams, and fast queues. Rewards good, mode bad imo

edit: the worst bit is the optimal strategy is 1) follow your blob even if the blob is dumb 2) objectives are meaningless if alone or in small group, you need to blob or be blobbed 3) you are fighting for not third, as opposed to getting first place

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 14, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really understand your point 3 but I agree with the other two. If you want my advice on the easiest way to pull or exceed your weight, play white mage and follow the blob around spamming throughput healing. That's basically all I do and my winrate cracked 50% last week

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

love power tripping in frontlines with a light party stack

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.
How to have fun in Frontlines:
    1) You can switch to a different class to the one you queued as while you're waiting for the match to start (you will still get the roulette XP on your original class). This means you can play an actually good PvP class instead of having to suffer through it as a healer. For incredible KDAs with a minimum of effort, I recommend Machinist.
    2) Make sure "target nearest enemy" is bound to something easily-reachable because you're going to be spamming it a lot.
    3) There's also two very important generic PvP actions, a sprint one and a medipack one that are buried inside the PvP actions menu somewhere. Drag them out and put them on your hotbar.
    4) Stay with the group, and make drat sure that you are never in a position where they can focus *you* with "target nearest enemy". At least one human shield between you and the enemy at all times.
    5) Mash "target nearest enemy". When in range of a suitable victim, fire off crowd control. This is the signal for the rest of your team to focus the poor schmuck. They will die quickly unless they have healer friends nearby. Repeat.
(Healers and tanks are actually super good in PvP but you need to understand how PvP works in order to play them well. Ranged DPS can just hang back and shoot people.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJ posted:

I am looking forward to the new reward structure but i'm unclear on what they said about making changes to class design. it sort of sounded like everyone will be DPS with different utility skills but it was really vague.

As I understand it everyone's going to be identical toolkits with a different LB depending on job. The goal is to let people play without being forced into specific jobs/roles to try and keep balance like how Feast required melee/healer/tank/ranged(including caster).

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

In addition to the points made, one of the biggest things is to not fight pointless battles. This means don't try to be a solo hero, don't meaninglessly defend a captured node in Onsal Haikkir, don't throw yourself against a team that's already way behind, and don't overextend into enemy territory.

If course, most of these are dependent on what your team as a whole does, so effectiveness may vary. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you want my advice on the easiest way to pull or exceed your weight, play white mage and follow the blob around spamming throughput healing. That's basically all I do and my winrate cracked 50% last week

Yup. If you're interested in getting 1st more consistently, you should either play a high throughput healer like WHM, or a ranged DPS like MCH that can pick enemy healers out of the crowd and CC chain them with Bind/Heavy for long enough to nuke 'em.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Raised By Birds posted:

I've tried a bit of frontlines for leveling jobs. Like 12(ish?) first of the day queues. I still have never been on the winning team. I either feel useless half the time, or I'm getting hooked, stunned and mobbed from downtown despite trying my best to stick with the team.

I don't plan to do any after getting all my jobs to 90. Not really a fan.

The most effective way to win frontlines is to corral your group into working together.

I have a macro that explains the game rules and scoring work (mainly how sticking together and building battle high is important), which by itself led to a noticeable increase in win rate. Turns out a lot of people don't even know battle high is a thing or dying gives the other team your points.

After that having a target macro so people can focus targets, and calling out objectives in chat with an alert sound so people notice it and go as a group is the most important thing.

Personal skill helps too but getting 24 people roughly following the same plan is the most important thing by far.

Bruceski posted:

As I understand it everyone's going to be identical toolkits with a different LB depending on job. The goal is to let people play without being forced into specific jobs/roles to try and keep balance like how Feast required melee/healer/tank/ranged(including caster).

That sounds like complete dogshit.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJ posted:

That's because it's not what they're doing. They want each job to feel unique to the point where they're stripping role actions out and giving each job new buttons in PvP along with their own limit break. The only big question mark is that since they're taking role queueing out, they can't keep healers being as strong as they are - if you've ever gotten BH5 as WHM in PvP you know what I'm talking about. Presumably they'll rebalance them to be like a more support-oriented caster DPS.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Frontline aficionados that have instructional macros setup are cool.

But my favorite is when there's instead one guy that just bitches about everyone else playing badly without any specifics. So they just make everyone else hate being there, solidifying last place through demoralization.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vitamean posted:

Dunno what there is to argue about when they are.

If you're a monk using the Emperor's New Fists, then something like 70% of the physical damage you deal enemies is technically water damage, which is higher than the 0% that Fleche and Contre Sixte do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chillgamesh posted:

That's because it's not what they're doing. They want each job to feel unique to the point where they're stripping role actions out and giving each job new buttons in PvP along with their own limit break. The only big question mark is that since they're taking role queueing out, they can't keep healers being as strong as they are - if you've ever gotten BH5 as WHM in PvP you know what I'm talking about. Presumably they'll rebalance them to be like a more support-oriented caster DPS.

I completely misunderstood, then.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I once got BH5 as a Sage in Frontlines and was basically unkillable for the remainder of the match, on top of being able to just delete whoever was closest to me if they didn't get immediate healer backup. Normally I'm kind of dumb about when to advance and when to withdraw so I don't usually get past 50-60% though.

It's very true that the trick to having good times in Frontlines is be a healer, tank, or phys ranged, and try to get your team to stay vaguely together and murderball between major objectives. Overwhelming and steamrolling a slightly less cohesive enemy team's pack is usually worth more points than spreading out to hit several minor objectives at once.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I completely misunderstood, then.

To be fair you might end up being correct anyway, it's possible they don't do it right and make them too same-y with a rebalance.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CJ posted:

The most effective way to win frontlines is to corral your group into working together.

I have a macro that explains the game rules and scoring work (mainly how sticking together and building battle high is important), which by itself led to a noticeable increase in win rate. Turns out a lot of people don't even know battle high is a thing or dying gives the other team your points.

After that having a target macro so people can focus targets, and calling out objectives in chat with an alert sound so people notice it and go as a group is the most important thing.

Personal skill helps too but getting 24 people roughly following the same plan is the most important thing by far.

Can you post the rules macro? I would love to have one too but tbh "dying loses points and kills gain points" without any specific numbers seems to get ignored

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
frontline fuckin owns here's a recent scoreboard.jpg

I can pretty consistently get BH5 on any of my primaries (WHM, MCH, or SMN) and just wreck poo poo. Just follow the pack, keep your map open and GCD rolling, and don't die. It's easy as hell and you get loads of exp!

e: it's better than wow battlegrounds and gw2 wvw :colbert:

acumen fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 14, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I am optimistic about the new pvp format but if the ttk isn't close to what it is with max battle high or flying high it's going to be frustrating to play.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i literally never know what i'm doing in pvp so i just play whm, follow a group, heal people and debuff enemies, and hope my team knows better than i do

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am convinced that Frontlines isn't real and is, in fact, a stress-induced hallucination in which I struggle to find any kind of sense or reason to my actions and no matter how well I try to play, I am always among the lowest-ranked team.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

How to get Battle High V when you haven't even set up your bar and song uptime is like maybe 50% and hitting flashing buttons even though you're supposed to wait for Pitch Perfect and oh yeah Apex Arrow exists too sometimes? Limit Break?????

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1482063271234580484

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I keep watching this and it keeps getting funnier

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

a kitten posted:

I keep watching this and it keeps getting funnier

it's funny because it's true

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You stand in your cousin's quinceanera then grow up and become a savage raider using the exact same skill set

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I long for the simpler days of Light Rampant.

(This was a joke.)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Admittadly this was mainly to test the new Nvidia driver goodies, Supersampled with AI enhancement from 2x resolution. And the new Auto Depth of Field filter. I actually have been using it during gameplay as well though it does make quest text blurry in certain circumstances. No real reason to use it over normal depth of field options while taking a still photo, but I did it anyways.

BTW, taking portrait photos in GPOSE still sucks. As the camera moves as if it was still right way up as you move the joysticks @_@

EDIT: Supersampling is not in the image, when you do alt-F1 shots it includes the supersampled image, but Ansel photo takes it at internal resolution. Now I feel sheepish.

Here use this pic of me stalking Ziddar instead to see how this stuff looks on my actual monitor

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 15, 2022

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the difference in texture quality on newer assets is kinda ridiculous

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kitten emergency posted:

the difference in texture quality on newer assets is kinda ridiculous

:hmmyes:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
you leave smooth rock alone

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

All hail smooth rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is that the infamous rock that some SE employee took a picture of?