Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
None of these charts have been physically difficult so far. It's just the marathon aspect of it. Until you start doing bracket jumps, BPM changes, and 12th notes all together on a 300BPM song...

Especially since this isn't a sight reading push for Spooty. He's been training on this soundtrack for a while. It's still better than anything I could do, but go check out happyf33tz's poo poo from the last two GDQs if you want pure physicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Flesnolk posted:

I don't understand how one is supposed to play this. The arrows are invisible half the time!

I can only assume some part of the feed loop is skipping frames.

Unless it's fine on the 60fps stream. My internet dies at that rate so I dunno

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Modded ITG is very fun to watch from a technical standpoint.

As for how hard these charts are to actually play, there is always a disconnect between low skilled (or people who don't play) rhythm games and skilled players when it comes to reading charts in literally ANY rhythm game. Modded charts are the epitome of that. The challenge from this sort of thing for a skilled player would come almost entirely from sight reading the charts, so when the player has already seen them it isn't as impressive.

But it's been years since i've seen cool rear end ITG mod charts, so I am enjoying it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

I can only assume some part of the feed loop is skipping frames.

Unless it's fine on the 60fps stream. My internet dies at that rate so I dunno

A lot of sight reading is doing snap shots in your mind. Just like the commentators were saying, you start reading whole pattern blocks over individual arrows after a while.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"And he's coming up on a break here, which means we've got time for a donation!"
[Four hold steps that last less than 3 seconds, then the step chart goes right back to 198 BPM]

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

A lot of sight reading is doing snap shots in your mind. Just like the commentators were saying, you start reading whole pattern blocks over individual arrows after a while.

yeah i've never gotten remotely as good as this at a rhythm game but they are a constant progression of your brain getting better at reading things and there's always a lot of "oh this was illegible a week ago but now it's easy"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This is very dazzling, but I don't think it's the inhuman feat it appears to be.

Consider that, with some training, people can sight-read sheet-music for a whole piano's worth of notes (88). How fast you can do that depends how long you've been practicing, but even someone relatively new to musical notation can hit notes on a slow beat as they come.

This game has four buttons. Provided those arrows contain the information for which button to press —and the time to press it— the rest is just pocket sand and glitter.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is very dazzling, but I don't think it's the inhuman feat it appears to be.

Consider that, with some training, people can sight-read sheet-music for a whole piano's worth of notes (88). How fast you can do that depends how long you've been practicing, but even someone relatively new to musical notation can hit notes on a slow beat as they come.

This game has four buttons. Provided those arrows contain the information for which button to press —and the time to press it— the rest is just pocket sand and glitter.

NAH I'm pretty sure it's magic

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah I think most of the challenge for the runner here is to filter out visual info cuz the screen is just spouting noise. Trust your instincts and all that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

what in tarnation

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

None of these charts have been physically difficult so far. It's just the marathon aspect of it. Until you start doing bracket jumps, BPM changes, and 12th notes all together on a 300BPM song...

Especially since this isn't a sight reading push for Spooty. He's been training on this soundtrack for a while. It's still better than anything I could do, but go check out happyf33tz's poo poo from the last two GDQs if you want pure physicality.

huh I'll have to check out those runs after this, that sounds fun

Azza Bamboo posted:

Willing to believe all y'all who are saying it's much easier with some practice but even those most accomplished pianist is gonna have trouble reading the sheet if somebody's dumping a truckful of glitter on them while also throwing pocket sand in their eyes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Now, see, this is magic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was worried about the flashing lights but instead what's hitting me is the chart giving me motion sickness

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Like, I could almost see myself following the stuff up until now with a whole bunch of practice, but this is madness.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

site posted:

I was worried about the flashing lights but instead what's hitting me is the chart giving me motion sickness

Viewership is steadily dropping so you're not the only person feeling that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It is very impressive to see people sight reading fast and difficult songs, and absolutely the pocket sand is added difficulty. What we're seeing with this guy's feet is very impressive. I just think it's not as intimidating as it looks.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mendacious is what this is and I hate it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the way people who are good at this move is wild, the motions are so small/efficient the whole thing looks easier than a normal person doing a song 1% as hard

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The real notes being the empty spaces is amazing. I love how creative this is.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i think it's super cool to create difficulty from the sight reading, as opposed to the technicality of input. it's a very different kind of challenge and one i probably wouldn't enjoy myself, but it's still very neat as an idea.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Some of these effects are pure bullshit, though. We're at level 13-14 now? Cool.

eke out posted:

the way people who are good at this move is wild, the motions are so small/efficient the whole thing looks easier than a normal person doing a song 1% as hard

This is one thing I never bought into. When Pump It Up became more arrow stomping than "dancing" game, I never followed. I still look down on people who hold the bar the whole time. :colbert: But I can't break lvl 15 on PIU doubles without doing that, and I'm not sure it's physically possible. I've been arrow stomping since 1998, and I'm too :corsair: at this point.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I do think it's interesting in that this basically seems way more wild in terms of visual information to sort from the noise to translate I to reactions. Way more than basically any other game genre and I wonder if that says something about what human brains and poo poo evolved around although this is definitely the upper end of average human for those sorts of things.

But poo poo, star craft dudes etc? Of course amazing but in terms of pure visual things flying at you and needing to react this is something else

Still a mendacious loving genre and I hate it.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
this is cool and it's really funny how chat acts like 2 hour of light cardio is verging on lethal

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

This is one thing I never bought into. When Pump It Up became more arrow stomping than "dancing" game, I never followed. I still look down on people who hold the bar the whole time. :colbert: But I can't break lvl 15 on PIU doubles without doing that, and I'm not sure it's physically possible. I've been arrow stomping since 1998, and I'm too :corsair: at this point.

yeah same, i like that there's no bar holding here, he just barely moves when he can at all avoid it

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I appreciate how much they openly poo poo all over their own work. They know exactly what they did, and they're not proud.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Still picking up my jaw from the floor from the bear sans fight he danced his way through a few minutes ago.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 15, 2022

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

DanielCross posted:

I appreciate how much they openly poo poo all over their own work. They know exactly what they did, and they're not proud.

"I made a fake chart display and thought it was cool at the time. Now everyone does it and I realize it sucks and hate it."

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Definitely enjoying this, also definitely can't watch too closely because it's making me motion sick and all the noise is giving me a headache.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

"Are you ready for the worst thing you've ever seen?"

man. no joke.

e: I can't follow any of this and trying to do so is starting to hurt my brain, I was fine with most of the other ones but this one's off the wall

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
They sound like they're having war flashbacks over some of these maps.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I physically flinched when it started those intense flashes kicked in, and I'm not even photosensitive, jesus this is a thing

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

“Just on the border of fair”.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
okay I've been following the red notes up until now, but now I'm lost.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh my god

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
If they hit this incentive, it's gonna be tight

Edit: Less tight than I thought!

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS