Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A lot of sport karate tournaments allow hits to the head, but not the face. That only makes sense if you wear sport karate gear, though. (It doesn't cover the face, which answers the obvious question of where the head ends and the face begins.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Xealot posted:

Also, just having an awareness of their audience. Miguel already won, so it's not interesting to see it again. But Hawk is kind of a breakout character, so they embraced it. Glad they did, that was a much cooler choice.

Also, where MMA and UFC don't exist. I've voiced this opinion before, but I'd be surprised if "learning karate" is a thing teens are doing in isolation in 2022. That is, vs. learning a little karate with some Krav Maga techniques and some Jiu Jitsu and Tae Kwon Do and a little Muay Thai.

Source: my wife does martial arts for self-defense, and although it started as mostly Krav Maga she's learned elements of a dozen different disciplines, because apparently that's just how martial arts training is done these days (unless you have some philosophical reason to be doing one rigid discipline, which Daniel does but this gang of misfit teens probably doesn't.)

My son has been practicing karate for 6 years now, but his dojo has classes in karate and jiu-jitsu, and the instructors tend to mix it up between the two classes. Also, his sensei told him he is an extra in Season 5 of Cobra-kai!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

Miguel namedrops UFC in season 1 :V

The rules seem to have changed though, because in the tournaments in Cobra Kai people are kicking, punching, and elbowing each other in the face all day long

Yeah the rules definitely change, I watched the end of Karate Kid 3 and the judge explicitly says only light ("emphasis on light Mr. Barnes!") contact to the body scores points and forbids blows to the head, which is in direct contradiction to what happens in Karate Kid 1.

Also holy smokes Daniel spends the entirety of the Karate Kid 3 finale running out of bounds, until he realizes he knows karate and scores a single point in sudden death. I guess on the one hand it's way more realistic that a scrawny kid with a year or so of training in karate is naturally just going to get demolished by someone way more athletic and skilled, but I definitely prefer Cobra Kai's method of "training for a few weeks lets you do crazy movie fights complete with flying kicks and blocking a roundhouse kick from someone who has 50 pounds on you with a quick wrist flick".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Also holy smokes Daniel spends the entirety of the Karate Kid 3 finale running out of bounds, until he realizes he knows karate and scores a single point in sudden death. I guess on the one hand it's way more realistic that a scrawny kid with a year or so of training in karate is naturally just going to get demolished by someone way more athletic and skilled, but I definitely prefer Cobra Kai's method of "training for a few weeks lets you do crazy movie fights complete with flying kicks and blocking a roundhouse kick from someone who has 50 pounds on you with a quick wrist flick".

It's best to judge things by Karate Kid 3's standards as little as possible. It's very odd that 'new rules' mean Daniel just gets to wait for the final challenger like he's a New Jersey Shang Tsung.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I did like Johnny calling that out. "You got to skip to the finals? Bullshit!"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rewatched KK1 a few nights ago and it's funny how Johnny Lawrence hands the winning trophy to LaRusso at the end of the movie with tears in his eyes and says "You're alright, LaRusso. You're the best." Seemingly ok with the outcome.

JUST WAIT 30 YEARS, JOHNNY.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 12, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The ref shrugging when Robbie took his gi off was hilarious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

AndyElusive posted:

Rewatched KK1 a few nights ago and it's funny how Johnny Lawrence hands the winning trophy to LaRusso at the end of the movie with tears in his eyes and says "You're alright, LaRusso. You're the best." Seemingly ok with the outcome.

JUST WAIT 30 YEARS, JOHNNY.

I’m sure this was color by the events immediately following in the parking lot

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Golden Bee posted:

I’m sure this was color by the events immediately following in the parking lot

Doesn't the show basically say this when they got to that flashback?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love how Terry Silver is a man with a deep layered personality. It's just that all of those layers are cartoonish supervillains.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senerio posted:

I love how Terry Silver is a man with a deep layered personality. It's just that all of those layers are cartoonish supervillains.

It's funny that he's toned down in Cobra Kai from KK3 where he plays the kind of villain in a movie where the protagonists would be like a band of scrappy kindergartners. I firmly believe there's a deleted scene out there where Silver runs around in a panic with his butt having been set on fire.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He's just getting back into the cocaine, give him time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wonder how losing his CEO position is going to play out in the final season.

If Cobra Kai had done karate better, surely his business partners would have been impressed!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder how losing his CEO position is going to play out in the final season.

If Cobra Kai had done karate better, surely his business partners would have been impressed!

Isn't he already retired at this point?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't he already retired at this point?

I'd gotten the impression he had retired very wealthy from the lucrative... let me check Karate Kid 3... ah, the 'chloride sludge dumping' game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He's definitely still "working," but he does seem to be at that stage where you sit on a board and don't actually do anything.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still amazed at how all of us across the fanbase spent hours puzzling out how they would justify Silver's behavior in the original series.

Lots of cocaine is such an obvious but unexpected answer, I love it so much. The premise, not cocaine :)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Clearly Silver has had a lot of time on his hands since KK3, given how he is now accomplished enough a pianist to be able to play La Campanella, which is well beyond the abilities of most amateurs, even keen ones. Hope he's had time to keep up his practice in between the karate training and evil scheming!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm still amazed at how all of us across the fanbase spent hours puzzling out how they would justify Silver's behavior in the original series.

Lots of cocaine is such an obvious but unexpected answer, I love it so much. The premise, not cocaine :)

You can make room in your heart for both!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Fingers crossed Miguel's dad turns out to be a capoeirista crime lord from Only the Stong. They can definitely change up the rules to allow an unorthodox martial art at the next All Valley.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Goffer posted:

Fingers crossed Miguel's dad turns out to be a capoeirista crime lord from Only the Stong. They can definitely change up the rules to allow an unorthodox martial art at the next All Valley.

Bonus points if he just so happens to run his own Hispanic or Brazilian karate dojo where he trains his militia and then teaches Miguel some sweet MMA moves or some poo poo. I can't think of a clever name for it but it's eeeeevil. But knowing this show, how it subverts a lot of expectations and with no obvious way to fold a character in that has no relation to the franchise, it wouldn't shock me if his dad was just dead or some poo poo, Miguel gets stuck in Mexico and has to karate kick his way out with Johnny's help.

I'm gonna guess his dad is a fuckup that's in jail for some reason and Miguel bonds with him by teaching HIM karate somehow. But I hope they don't over do Miguel's Journey to Find His Father too much though since the show really excels at straddling the line between drama, cheese, action, family, nostalgia, violence and romance where introducing a whole new character with that much weight in an already crowded cast might backfire since the drama might not be earned and they can't really draw inspiration/motivation from the movies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miguels dad is Mike Barnes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaius Marius posted:

Oh....poo poo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gaius Marius posted:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Be right back, gonna go stare at the sky for hours just to make a wish on a shooting star.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Miguel Barnes, Chico Malo de Kárate.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I'm thinking the Mexico City / Miguel in search of his evil father is a set up to up the show's dramatic intensity by killing Miguel off. It would be a pragmatic move given how his own screen appearance increasingly no longer matches the character of a teenage boy. It would also free up Johnny to truly be a father to his real son and come full circle there, versus this psuedo son arrangement with Miguel. Maybe Silver being the evildoer and world connected man he is will have a hand in Miguel's death.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 15, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't think this show's tone can handle child death, even in a final season.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nah, son. Tori is Mike Barnes' daughter. I guarantee it.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
wanna get that Miyagi-Fang t-shirt now

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BiggerBoat posted:

They went to prom so I assumed they were seniors but then again we didn't a graduation scene or anything so maybe it was Jr Prom.

Also, I read an interview with the guy that plays Hawk and he said that the actors were in the dark about who would win but heavily implied that he was matched up with RObbie's actor because the two of them were the most physically skilled. He said he was jazzed when he found out he won

I think it was on Screen Rant but I can't find it.

Are we still spoiler tagging ITT?

It was expressly Junior prom.

Show was great, I think this was one of the best seasons.

Robbie’s end felt earned. He tried to be a father figure to show up Johnny, and realized how terrible it was.

I liked how they portrayed Eli as just struggling to find his own identity, when so many people have so many wildlife different expectations of him.

TIG is a gift. It was amazing watching him slide from “is that even the same guy?” Through “oh poo poo, straight up 80s villain!” His entire posture, body language, mannerisms, facial expressions, everything. Watch how much he slouches and cowers when he first hooks back up with Kreese, compared to how he looms at the end. I think the character has decided Kreese isn’t orthodox enough.

The fight choreography was way better. Even Macchio looked plausible.

Looking forward to Eagle Fang series in twenty years.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

I liked how they portrayed Eli as just struggling to find his own identity, when so many people have so many wildlife different expectations of him.

Re: Eli

I really liked how they "inadvertently" had him take off his gi and show off his tattoo at the end when he ended up winning. It did a better job of showing how he needed to incorporate the best parts of everything he learned in a fun visual way than the various coach lectures. He wasn't the over-the-top punk hair Hawk, but he was still confident and capable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The tournament had better choreography, granted, but how can anyone not love the insane teen karate brawls?

Best line of the series was the two sides lined up, and Dmitri going "oh no, not another rumble..."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The tournament had better choreography, granted, but how can anyone not love the insane teen karate brawls?

Best line of the series was the two sides lined up, and Dmitri going "oh no, not another rumble..."

:wrong:

Best line was "no be there"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of the best lines is from Kyler in s4 something along the lines of "My Dad wants me to go to Harvard but I'm like ASU is the Harvard of the West"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This show is so drat good, just masterful TV. Delivering the goods, I'm putty in this show's hands, just like the movie Ghost. Just watched the latest season over the past weekend or so, good lord, this is directly beaming the goods right into my soul. The return of Stingray! The agony and the ecstacy of the karate wars! The hearts of these warriors, on the streets of the Valley. I need season 5 asap.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dawgstar posted:

It's best to judge things by Karate Kid 3's standards as little as possible. It's very odd that 'new rules' mean Daniel just gets to wait for the final challenger like he's a New Jersey Shang Tsung.

"like he's a New Jersey Shang Tsung" is not getting nearly the love it deserves.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Agreed. That's some fine work.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My favourite thing is how Daniel's wife is fully aware that everyone around her is stuck in an 80's teen action/drama film and refuses to take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
She's busy running a dang car dealership while her husband is trying to defeat bullying with secret ko-ryu kyusho-jutsu techniques.