Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7d34y/when-joss-whedon-was-our-master

May we return to our roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All I think about when I see Whedon now is that tweet ripping into him that was just “Hey honey, come read my new pilot script about mind-controlled sex slaves who suck and gently caress all comers!”

The guy was a real innovator in the field of parasocial relationships because he knew that could help to give him cover for his transgressions, just like publicly positioning himself as a loud feminist did.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

I somehow knew this would be Gita Jackson before I opened it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Schlong Connery posted:

Mass Effect is one of the most egregious examples of the late 00s-early 10s obsession with morality systems and choice, but the choice is very shallow, between good and evil.

Once you've made a few choices to be good or evil, you pretty much have to stick with it, as you build a meter in either direction over the course of the game and you won't fill either enough if you alternate between paragon and renegade. It also doesn't make sense narratively to alternate between choice types since, Shep just comes off as psychotically insane as he/she alternates between bro-hugging or mercing various side characters.
Well apart from this Renegade action in 2. Why would you never take that option even as Paragon?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Media that did not age well -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIiDLId9_U&t=2250s

THE TODAY SHOW looks forward from the 1980's to the far future of 2022.

Is 4K Netflix as good as watching 35mm film and having better ways to communicate through Don't Look Up?

GOOD NEWS 1980's- WE CURED A COLD VIRUS. Isn't being in the future wonderful!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Croccers posted:

Well apart from this Renegade action in 2. Why would you never take that option even as Paragon?

The game almost forces you to take this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkmU0vkExyY

E: It's not clear from the video but the krogan has a whole speech and the interrupt icon stays on there the entire time

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was so obvious too, they were basically begging you to torch that guy. The whole camera work of the cutscene where it kept cutting back to the target, then the Krogan, then the target again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Moments like those is what makes me furious at Bioware adding a hidden stat that punishes you for not sticking to either Paragon/Renegade through the whole game. I heard the Legendary Edition removed this, luckily.

I'm glad RPGs seem to moving away from the Karma Meter in favor of simple consequence based outcomes (stuff like Dragon Age and Witcher being prime examples).

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Moments like those is what makes me furious at Bioware adding a hidden stat that punishes you for not sticking to either Paragon/Renegade through the whole game. I heard the Legendary Edition removed this, luckily.

I'm glad RPGs seem to moving away from the Karma Meter in favor of simple consequence based outcomes (stuff like Dragon Age and Witcher being prime examples).

I never heard of this. In what way does it punish you?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

I never heard of this. In what way does it punish you?

In case you haven't played the games, choosing Paragon/Renegade options is tied to something called "Charm/Intimidate" (in the first game it unlocked points in the skills while in the second the skill is directly bound to it). Paragon choices boost Charm and Renegade boosts Intimidate. If you have a high enough score in certain dialogue scenes, you can use a special Charm/Intimidate dialogue option that usually grants you a big benefit, either items wise or plot wise.

The punishment comes from the fact that at least in ME2 BioWare has admitted to using a hidden stat that boosts Charm/Intimidate growth as long as you consistently keep choosing choices of the same alignment. Meaning if you are playing a Paragon and you do the occasional Renegade Interrupt like the ones linked, you are hampering your Charm growth. While I was playing ME2 I had the occasional choice suddenly blocked to me (though admittedly it was the harder checks). This can be a big deal since these Charm/Intidimiate checks can have massive effects on the story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disco Elysium has a number of stats based on your choices, especially on political alignment, which are mostly hilarious. And not mutually exclusive. It will be commented on.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Regular reminder that everyone reading this should play Disco Elysium. Everyone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AceOfFlames posted:

Regular reminder that everyone reading this should play Disco Elysium. Everyone.

I would, but it's $60 or something. I could buy 15 bottles of wine for that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AceOfFlames posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

That could certainly be an equivalent experience.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Comstar posted:

Media that did not age well -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIiDLId9_U&t=2250s

THE TODAY SHOW looks forward from the 1980's to the far future of 2022.

Is 4K Netflix as good as watching 35mm film and having better ways to communicate through Don't Look Up?

GOOD NEWS 1980's- WE CURED A COLD VIRUS. Isn't being in the future wonderful!

I like how commercials have become blipverts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tiggum posted:

I'll forgive it as long as you go to a hotel, put on a horrific necktie and green snakeskin shoes before buying the 15 bottles of wine

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I'll forgive it as long as you go to a hotel, put on a horrific necktie and green snakeskin shoes before buying the 15 bottles of wine

Oh, you mean a typical Friday night. Why didn t you say so?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Tiggum posted:

Elecro-chemistry: I would, but it's $60 or something. I could buy 15 bottles of wine for that.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I like how commercials have become blipverts.

So that's what those little zaps are. And here I thought it was just static. Good thing I move around enough that I didn't get the full blipvert experience.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

AceOfFlames posted:

In case you haven't played the games, choosing Paragon/Renegade options is tied to something called "Charm/Intimidate" (in the first game it unlocked points in the skills while in the second the skill is directly bound to it). Paragon choices boost Charm and Renegade boosts Intimidate. If you have a high enough score in certain dialogue scenes, you can use a special Charm/Intimidate dialogue option that usually grants you a big benefit, either items wise or plot wise.

The punishment comes from the fact that at least in ME2 BioWare has admitted to using a hidden stat that boosts Charm/Intimidate growth as long as you consistently keep choosing choices of the same alignment. Meaning if you are playing a Paragon and you do the occasional Renegade Interrupt like the ones linked, you are hampering your Charm growth. While I was playing ME2 I had the occasional choice suddenly blocked to me (though admittedly it was the harder checks). This can be a big deal since these Charm/Intidimiate checks can have massive effects on the story.

This was only a problem if you were skipping content or if you take Renegade interrupts that deny you Paragon interrupts. As long as you consistently take every Paragon option possible, it doesn't matter, you're going to cap Paragon points. On a first playthrough you aren't really supposed to beat the Quarian check or the Miranda/Jack check anyway. And Renegade was crazy easy to max in any case.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sweet geek swag posted:

This was only a problem if you were skipping content or if you take Renegade interrupts that deny you Paragon interrupts. As long as you consistently take every Paragon option possible, it doesn't matter, you're going to cap Paragon points. On a first playthrough you aren't really supposed to beat the Quarian check or the Miranda/Jack check anyway. And Renegade was crazy easy to max in any case.

Maxing the bar technically didn’t matter. The stat was a percentage thing where the game measured how many renegade points you could potentially have at that point vs how many you actually racked up and that’s how the checks were determined. So even with the bar full you could still potentially end up with those checks unavailable even with a full bar.

Also when you landed on Ilium, for example, the game now suddenly counted all the renegade options in the hub as points you could have, so your score for the checks would immediately plummet.

AFAIK they didn’t remove this in the remaster, they just loosened up the checks.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

christmas boots posted:

Maxing the bar technically didn’t matter. The stat was a percentage thing where the game measured how many renegade points you could potentially have at that point vs how many you actually racked up and that’s how the checks were determined. So even with the bar full you could still potentially end up with those checks unavailable even with a full bar.

Also when you landed on Ilium, for example, the game now suddenly counted all the renegade options in the hub as points you could have, so your score for the checks would immediately plummet.

AFAIK they didn’t remove this in the remaster, they just loosened up the checks.

What I was saying though was that as long as you took every available Paragon option it didn't matter how many Renegade options you took. You just can't take any Renegade interrupts that prevent either a Paragon interrupt or a conversation that gave you a Paragon choice. Now granted, I played ME2 a lot, so I knew pretty much where all of these were. But generally speaking it was easy to guess when a Renegade action would lock you out of a Paragon response. Generally, all the quick violent reactions where you did some crazy stunt didn't lock you out, while the ones where you are being an rear end in a top hat did.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Croccers posted:

lol yeah that one ruled

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mass effect is star trek written by people who think the iraq war was justified

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Alaois posted:

mass effect is star trek written by people who think the iraq war was justified

Speaking of poo poo not aging well, Star Trek Enterprise S3 was also Star Trek written by people who think the Iraq war was justified.
And also Discovery S1 but they did a last minute switcheroo in the finale so it's fine.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I AM GRANDO posted:

All I think about when I see Whedon now is that tweet ripping into him that was just “Hey honey, come read my new pilot script about mind-controlled sex slaves who suck and gently caress all comers!”

The guy was a real innovator in the field of parasocial relationships because he knew that could help to give him cover for his transgressions, just like publicly positioning himself as a loud feminist did.

My friend and I talk about this somewhat often, and our big conclusion is that he was someone who was told that he was a good feminist in 1995 and decided that meant he didn't need to improve ever again and could just coast forever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neito posted:

My friend and I talk about this somewhat often, and our big conclusion is that he was someone who was told that he was a good feminist in 1995 and decided that meant he didn't need to improve ever again and could just coast forever.

yea someone 100% told him in the 90's 'oh hey, that's pretty feminist' about seeing how actiony Buffy was or something and he just completely stopped thinking he'd ever need to improve or reassess how he views things because he got his feminist gold star.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Idk if yall taking the piss but that "someone" was literally every media outlet that focused on tv shows

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Idk if yall taking the piss but that "someone" was literally every media outlet that focused on tv shows

So no one with any credibility is what you are saying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think he cultivated the feminist thing deliberately to make it harder for his victims to accuse him of anything, and possibly to position himself to have easier access to vulnerable women. I don't think anything about his politics or public persona was genuine. Maybe he was really a nerd, but that just taught him how nerds rally around their idols. He's a hollywood nepotism predator, like Max Landis.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It *was* kind of groundbreaking at the time, at least in terms of a show like that, that (seemed) so centred on female experience, hitting so big. It was revelatory for a lot of people. The trouble is what's groundbreaking one moment is tired and old-fashioned the next and Whedon's paper-thin 'feminism' couldn't cloak his disgusting genuine beliefs forever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

So no one with any credibility is what you are saying.

Well they've never been good people used to pay attention to the media and trust it much more than they do now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whedon was never feminist so much as he had fetishes that happened to be different from those of the boomers who made most media at the time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The first Whedon thing I ever watched was Firefly sometime in the early 2010s. I was baffled to discover that "strong female characters" meant literally women who could beat people up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Joss Whedont talk about him anymore

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The sad thing is that his actual name is Joe Hill Whedon, which suggests that his parents must have been kind of cool people to name him that.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Shiroc posted:

The first Whedon thing I ever watched was Firefly sometime in the early 2010s. I was baffled to discover that "strong female characters" meant literally women who could beat people up.

Agreed. The gender politics in Firefly were odd as hell. She's strong because she can fight, and she's strong because she's a mechanic and only boys can do that (that's cute!), and she's strong because she has sex (but our hero still calls her a whore a lot just so you don't think we're encouraging that kind of thing).

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
That's still better than most other films/shows that were around at the time, though? I'm not saying it's good, far from it. But it was hardly being compared to anything better (I may well be wrong here, but not much is springing to mind).

I couldn't stand the cutesy language myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's amazing what people will put up with when there isn't any good Star Trek on the air.