Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Predator's also aren't allowed within a half mile of schools but you don't normally see them boasting about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Introducing the new Dodge Pederast

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you guys made fun of the dodge too much and they deleted the tweet

e: proof that bullying works

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

lobster shirt posted:

saw this in the cum warriors thread

https://twitter.com/SpiroAgnewGhost/status/1481372834987274240

the story has some great details

okay what happened

wow thats crazy is there any precedent to this situation

amazing that they let you keep your gun and your car after a road rage incident where you brandish a gun at another person. good poo poo.

anyway here is the intersection where all this happened if you want to see what some great american urban planning looks like.

Died the way he lived, a BMW driver.

In LA people think that driving a base model luxury car that half the city has makes them special and exempt from any law, it's their world and you're just living in it. The shoulder is just another lane to them. They'll sit at a red light, all of a sudden decide to just go, and then honk back (at a minimum) at the cross traffic who question what the hell he's doing.

At least he can't just white privilege his way out a gun shot wound. No jail would have ever held him and no fine would have ever stuck .

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoU39Rpp4FI&t=43s

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dolphin posted:

yeah, not to mention

the wealth in the mid 90s is beyond recognition

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dolphin posted:

yeah, not to mention

is that cumshitter standing behind Slick Willie?

they had sex, cumshitter's perma'd now so you have to take my word for it

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

road rage is so normalized it's crazy

any time anyone posts a video online where someone touches a car — like, if they reach out and give a car a little slap with their palm — 75% of the comments are like: "I would have killed you op"

Literally had to tap on the rear window of a range rover in traffic today because I was on my bike in the middle lane waiting to turn and they didn't see the light change after 5 seconds because they were on their phone.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The phone use is what gets me more than anything

Like, I have to drive every so often and it takes *all* my concentration

Constantly checking for pedestrians, monitoring my speed, checking mirrors hazards, etc

Never in a million years could I imagine being so casual driving so as to interact with my phone while driving beyond a glance at a map, even at a stop

Pure insanity to be posting while driving

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jestery posted:

The phone use is what gets me more than anything

Like, I have to drive every so often and it takes *all* my concentration

Constantly checking for pedestrians, monitoring my speed, checking mirrors hazards, etc

Never in a million years could I imagine being so casual driving so as to interact with my phone while driving beyond a glance at a map, even at a stop

Pure insanity to be posting while driving

It's crazy. And obviously screen-watching things like texting/posting/watching Netflix are terrible, but even talking on the phone is crazy distracting. And the government response is always to ban handheld calling and mandate hands-free only. That's not the distracting part! What's more likely to cause a crash - holding a conversation with someone in another place over an imperfect connection, or holding a banana to your ear?

When I started driving, I occasionally did call hands-free, until one day I got off a call and realised I couldn't remember anything about the last X km of driving. So I stopped. Now when I say "sorry I missed your call, I was driving" people look at me like I have 2 heads. Or ask if I've heard of Bluetooth.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I remember being (edit in the back ) in a car with my (then) girlfriend's sister and her boyfriend (they were in the front /driving)

They were doing a Livestream and answering questions and tapping the screen and holding conversations etc

Somehow I was the rear end in a top hat for having an issue with this

Jestery has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Jan 14, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jestery posted:

I remember being in a car with my (then) girlfriend's sister and her boyfriend

They were doing a Livestream and answering questions and tapping the screen and holding conversations etc

Somehow I was the rear end in a top hat for having an issue with this

I told my friend to slow down once and he got really pissy with me. The car is a safe space

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bobstar posted:

It's crazy. And obviously screen-watching things like texting/posting/watching Netflix are terrible, but even talking on the phone is crazy distracting. And the government response is always to ban handheld calling and mandate hands-free only. That's not the distracting part! What's more likely to cause a crash - holding a conversation with someone in another place over an imperfect connection, or holding a banana to your ear?

When I started driving, I occasionally did call hands-free, until one day I got off a call and realised I couldn't remember anything about the last X km of driving. So I stopped. Now when I say "sorry I missed your call, I was driving" people look at me like I have 2 heads. Or ask if I've heard of Bluetooth.

when you drive w passengers do you all just sit in silence ?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I don't tend to have detailed conversation and my speech is rather monotone and monosyllabic

But I barely drive so I guess the novelty of danger hasn't worn off yet

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i do my best posting while driving

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That's a totally different experience. Passengers can react to the road along with you - if you stop talking because a thing is happening in front of you, a passenger won't go "hello, hello, are you still there?" like a person on the phone might. Partly because of this, I feel like part of my mind goes "away" to deal with the phone call.

Not just me I don't think
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36475180

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I don't remember which podcast it was (probably the War on Cars and it just doesn't have a descriptive-enough title for me to pull up), but there was a good episode where they spoke with an expert on distracted driving about how conversations affect driving and the research is clear that talking with an external Interlocutor is significantly more distracting than the same conversation with someone in the vehicle. Exact causation is unclear, but the above about non-idiot/child passengers naturally toning it down in response to road conditions, plus the way talking with a phone puts the brain in a mode of trying to picture itself in a different, shared context with the person on the line, are theories.

Passengers absolutely can be distracting too, of course, and gently caress with decision making. The person who tboned me when they failed to yield at a stop sign had two small children in the back likely constantly demanding attention.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

seems like a good deal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

driving with my kid screaming and losing his mind in the backseat is definitely a challenging experience, i definitely reduce speed when he gets like that (even though it's tempting to speed up to get to your destination more quickly)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This morning while walking to work I got passed by a real country boy -- complete with carhartt work jacket, matching work boots, baseball cap, and faded blue jeans -- on a mountain bike with a modded engine. Yeehaw, brother.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm starting to see more and more stuff like this pop up in the wild. Still mostly within left-wing spheres but it's bubbling up:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my youngest son reliably throws up if he's in the car for more than 15 minutes. so we just don't drive anywhere really. kind of a nice feature.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its been on average -40c the past month and i love it. Its nice bundling up and being very toasty on my walks. if only i was not in constant danger of sliding into traffic :argh:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lobster shirt posted:

saw this in the cum warriors thread

https://twitter.com/SpiroAgnewGhost/status/1481372834987274240

the story has some great details

okay what happened

wow thats crazy is there any precedent to this situation

amazing that they let you keep your gun and your car after a road rage incident where you brandish a gun at another person. good poo poo.

anyway here is the intersection where all this happened if you want to see what some great american urban planning looks like.

the only good 2A story ive heard of

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Suplex Liberace posted:

its been on average -40c the past month and i love it. Its nice bundling up and being very toasty on my walks. if only i was not in constant danger of sliding into traffic :argh:

Actually it's been -40f

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ikanreed posted:

Actually it's been -40f

:v:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

but what is the windchill?!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
first time in ages today I had a bad time on public transit because a guy on the bus was yelling loudly about how he was going to kill a bunch of people because the Bible told him so

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oh no not a conservative

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

first time in ages today I had a bad time on public transit because a guy on the bus was yelling loudly about how he was going to kill a bunch of people because the Bible told him so

I didn't think Congressional salaries were so bad that they're resorting to public transit now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're saying the same thing in private vehicles too

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I like motor vehicles.

Specifically trains

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ikanreed posted:

I like motor vehicles.

Specifically trains

if america was a high tech nation, filled with skilled engineers and people with strong project management skills, you too could be doing this

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

pointsofdata posted:

if america was a high tech nation, filled with skilled engineers and people with strong project management skills, you too could be doing this

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
beginning to think maybe this america place is maybe not so good after all

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pointsofdata posted:

ive been on the ice trains in Europe a fair bit and ii gotta say its pretty awesome. but this one time i bought a train ticket in Poland to go from Gdansk to somewhere else (can't remember) and the lady selling me the ticket said something like "oh this is for one of the slow trains". i knew it wasn't an ice train I was ok with the travel time and thought I could get some photos so I said it was no problem and bought the ticket anyway. the "slow" train still went 220km/h.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

ive been on the ice trains in Europe a fair bit and ii gotta say its pretty awesome. but this one time i bought a train ticket in Poland to go from Gdansk to somewhere else (can't remember) and the lady selling me the ticket said something like "oh this is for one of the slow trains". i knew it wasn't an ice train I was ok with the travel time and thought I could get some photos so I said it was no problem and bought the ticket anyway. the "slow" train still went 220km/h.

Even the actually slow trains are preferable to driving imho, I'd rather the journey take longer but get to look out the window, read a book, sip a coffee or beer, be able to get up to go pee, etc... gently caress cars

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've always wanted to ride a slow train for a week or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've always wanted to ride a slow train for a week or some poo poo

I think the one between Moscow and Beijing takes about that long.

i'm on the eurostar rn (posting from under the sea!) and the couple in front of me are debating whether the train travels in a U shape or a square one (I_I shaped). They also seem to think the tunnel is in the water not the rock