Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

why are you using “we” here, you and I have nothing to do with the machinations of the imperial war machine

nothing said in this thread, isn’t something I’ve heard either from other officers or while I was at the academy literally as a class discussion topics.

like the book gradenko is going through was an assigned reading lol. a fair bit of the thread discussion is along US military internal heterodox lines of argument.

and lol if you are a US citizen it’s we. and this world doesn’t have innocents period. existing bloodies all hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Also, “we” and “our” are grammatically correct in those two instances.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and lol if you are a US citizen it’s we

language is political, it's a little awkward at first but you don't have to use possessive pronouns when discussing the evils of the US

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

language is political, it's a little awkward at first but you don't have to use possessive pronouns when discussing the evils of the US

If you are a US citizen (obviously not everyone is etc), I think it is necessary to own up to it even if you oppose it. We have lived a standard of living dependent on treasure from abroad, it isn’t really possible to sweep it under the rug at this point.

Every time you take apart of the political process and vote you put a stamp of approval on the system as a whole.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ardennes posted:

If you are a US citizen (obviously not everyone is etc), I think it is necessary to own up to it even if you oppose it. We have lived a standard of living dependent on treasure from abroad, it isn’t really possible to sweep it under the rug at this point.

Every time you take apart of the political process and vote you put a stamp of approval on the system as a whole.

I absolve you of your sins, my child. Go forth and denounce empire, free of the yolk of obligation to confess complicity!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the author of that technowar book did a public access tv interview to promote the book and this is an interesting watch

https://youtu.be/lFvcuuS5eUI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

and lol if you are a US citizen it’s we. and this world doesn’t have innocents period. existing bloodies all hands.

troop brain. everyone’s a bad guy that’s why we had to gun down this village

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yes it is, and at the very least I do tho.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

troop brain. everyone’s a bad guy that’s why we had to gun down this village

no.

only naive idealists think they are innocent. it’s kindof the biggest tell for that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yep

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
You can only win a war, if you know the win condition.

Eg. for North Vietnam it was national independence and unification of the country.

What could it have been for USA? How would they know that they have won?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I absolve you of your sins, my child. Go forth and denounce empire, free of the yolk of obligation to confess complicity!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

You can only win a war, if you know the win condition.

Eg. for North Vietnam it was national independence and unification of the country.

What could it have been for USA? How would they know that they have won?

The US wins by keeping post-colonial states broken up indefinitely. We only gave up on South Vietnam because it was too obviously a lost cause.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that's why i never ever called trump "our president" because he's not MY president #stillwithher

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

that's why i never ever called trump "our president" because he's not MY president #stillwithher

imagine having a parasocial attachment to the us president lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Fulda Gap was the right place to anticipate confrontation with the Warsaw Pact for all sorts of geographical reasons. There's no way for instance that anybody was going to be doing amphibious exercises in the Arctic or the Pacific, without even knowing who could win the naval war. Central Asia was a non-starter because the terrain is too difficult for large scale operations. The rest of the "Iron curtain" in Europe wouldn't work for the same reasons. The relatively flat terrain of Northern Germany was the only way to go for a big conventional war.

It just smacks of this is the most obvious place for the Soviets to attack so it must be there, kind I'd like all the Nazis thinking oh no the Allied invasion has to come around Calais in France and oh Normandy must be a distraction, well into June 1944. The North German Plain is yeah the only way Soviet and NVA forces were going to cross into West Germany to fight the Brits, but America focusing exclusively on the Fulda gap in the South seems like maybe they picked the spot they wanted the Soviets to actually invade from and built every assumption around that without ever thinking that the a Soviets might not want to do what was so obviously expected of them. I'm sure NATO being loaded with the losers who got their poo poo wrecked by the Soviets didn't play into that at all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

It just smacks of this is the most obvious place for the Soviets to attack so it must be there, kind I'd like all the Nazis thinking oh no the Allied invasion has to come around Calais in France and oh Normandy must be a distraction, well into June 1944. The North German Plain is yeah the only way Soviet and NVA forces were going to cross into West Germany to fight the Brits, but America focusing exclusively on the Fulda gap in the South seems like maybe they picked the spot they wanted the Soviets to actually invade from and built every assumption around that without ever thinking that the a Soviets might not want to do what was so obviously expected of them. I'm sure NATO being loaded with the losers who got their poo poo wrecked by the Soviets didn't play into that at all

Anywhere else the Soviets could've attacked would've been across mountains, and that's not happening. It's not like an Ardennes situation where the French thought it was literally impossible to drive tanks through the forest, it's that mountainous terrain is too defensible, and there's not enough room for maneuvering.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anywhere else the Soviets could've attacked would've been across mountains, and that's not happening. It's not like an Ardennes situation where the French thought it was literally impossible to drive tanks through the forest, it's that mountainous terrain is too defensible, and there's not enough room for maneuvering.

That's a fair point, going to be pretty tough to get a tank division over a mountain

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it seems like a dumb thing from both sides. a conventional European war was never in the cards

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

it seems like a dumb thing from both sides. a conventional European war was never in the cards

Conventional war is a step on the path of escalation. There needs to be a conventional war first to justify a nuclear exchange.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
weren't there lots of West German defensive deployments on the north German plain, too? fulda gap was just where the us troops were stationed so it got the Anglosphere spotlight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Aglet56 posted:

weren't there lots of West German defensive deployments on the north German plain, too? fulda gap was just where the us troops were stationed so it got the Anglosphere spotlight

and also British, but yes

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1481643227715276807

no one has told texas that they should always be paying their troops huh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"always pay your troops" is like rule #1 in how not to collapse your state

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

"always pay your troops" is like rule #1 in how not to collapse your state

to be fair the mutiny of the texas state guard would be the most ineffectual revolt in the history of militaries

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Conventional war is a step on the path of escalation. There needs to be a conventional war first to justify a nuclear exchange.

Don't need to justify anything if everyone is dead!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah, I'm not getting the "only way to attack" idea. The northernmost third of Germany is close to the flattest part of Europe, with easy access to further flat land in the Netherlands and Denmark. The Fulda Gap is just where you go if you wanted to directly push into central Germany too.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
NVA: Gerade aus Fulda.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

indigi posted:

and even Iraq 2 went so poorly it led to ISIS

Which destabilized Syria so working as intended imo.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

for sure but there's virtually no scenario where a conventional war in Germany wouldn't escalate within a day or two. it's just weird to plan for one as if it might begin and end without nukes flying. border skirmish with limited casualties sure, but actual factual war with armored companies advancing from either side? unless it's a cakewalk to Berlin NATO is gonna mash that launch button. I'd imagine that Moscow might have more restraint but if "tactical" US kt nukes come out who knows honestly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

for sure but there's virtually no scenario where a conventional war in Germany wouldn't escalate within a day or two. it's just weird to plan for one as if it might begin and end without nukes flying. border skirmish with limited casualties sure, but actual factual war with armored companies advancing from either side? unless it's a cakewalk to Berlin NATO is gonna mash that launch button. I'd imagine that Moscow might have more restraint but if "tactical" US kt nukes come out who knows honestly

I think that was kind of the point. Both sides came out of World War 2 with fully modernized militaries that ended up never being totally demobilized. The equipment and doctrine was all expecting a lightning fast war because of the scale of mechanization they were achieving. That means the most decisive phase of battle is the earliest stage, when most of your assets are going to get knocked out. Even if you're only looking at 2-5 days of combat before a nuclear exchange, you want to plan to win as decisively & as early as possible. Or if you weren't expecting to win on the ground like NATO did, you're trying to buy as much time as possible for a chance of de-escalation.

Those attitudes came later though. American commanders were operating on nuclear supremacist delusions until well through the 60s and couldn't wait to start armageddon. They were planning to win up until the proliferation of thermonuclear weapons gave some perspective on the chances of "winning" any nuclear exchange.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
as bad as the civilian leadership was at times during the cw, the military was frequently worse. There were really a lot of total lunatics running the asylum in Dexedrine induced psychosis

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

my impression of the whole Fulda Gap thing was that NATO ground forces were always weaker than the nominal/predicted Warsaw Pact offensive force, and that they were designed to be deliberately be like this, such that they'd be overrun, which justifies the use of tactical nuclear weapons to stop the Russian tanks, but in the knowledge that use of tactical nukes would develop into escalations that go all the way up to MAD, and that the Soviets knew this, and it turns into a version of interlocking MAD all by itself: if you cross into West Germany, you will beat us, then we will nuke you, and you will nuke us back, and the world ends

but that only works if you manage to thread the needle of maintaining an army in Germany that's strong enough that it looks like you're going to resist and defend, but not so strong that they could beat a Soviet offensive in a stand-up conventional fight

Its called a "plate glass wall" and its been our strategy in Korea for a very long time. All the US military stationed there would be wiped out by the initial exchange, same with the NK side. Then you can point to little johhny, the American Patriot who died for Our Freedom, as justification for nuclear exchange, without the cost of actually building and maintaining an even more robust conventional army.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Can someone explain the special forces tier one operator space marine fetish please? I recall this particular time where a commonwealth doctrine following line infantry regiment straight up smoked a US trained special forces unit in terrain that special forces were supposed to be dominant in. Hell even in pop history books like charlie wilson's war the US brain trust realised that the Soviets using special forces in regular firefights was a huge L because the situation had become too desperate. Smash cut to the entire post 9/11 world and you have so many special forces units running around and creating their own cult following and are returning home to be giga rightwing cranks.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I’m looking forward to betraying the US and joining China at literally the first opportunity

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Can someone explain the special forces tier one operator space marine fetish please? I recall this particular time where a commonwealth doctrine following line infantry regiment straight up smoked a US trained special forces unit in terrain that special forces were supposed to be dominant in. Hell even in pop history books like charlie wilson's war the US brain trust realised that the Soviets using special forces in regular firefights was a huge L because the situation had become too desperate. Smash cut to the entire post 9/11 world and you have so many special forces units running around and creating their own cult following and are returning home to be giga rightwing cranks.

It's a combination of the US entering forever war with insurgencies all around the globe and the various services wanting to be relevant in the apparent future of no more conventional wars. Small units that can be deployed everywhere and can ideally also punch above their weight are more ideal for this because there's less political hassles, less logistical requirements, and less manpower requirements compared to a standard divisional deployment.

Basically the same reason why the US moved to all the BCTs and slashed their artillery force to the bone: it's easier to use for forever wars with insurgents.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

I’m looking forward to betraying the US and joining China at literally the first opportunity

they will be greeted as liberators

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure that was literally the plan for everyone NATO Solider in West Berlin, fight to the death for nothing

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Those delusions weren't really at play in Vietnam though. The US military is just fundamentally not capable of fighting a political conflict because it's institutionally "depoliticized" at the national level. It's an organization designed to defeat foreign armies whenever the government tells them to and that's it. There's no room for the USM to have a political doctrine because that leaves the door open for the military to challenge civilian authority.

i mean the Ethiopian army under the DERG was one of the most politicized armies in history, and yet it constantly kept losing to guerrilas.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Tankbuster posted:

movies and video games and hero worship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A Bakers Cousin posted:

movies and video games and hero worship

take out the air support and you are left with an inflated ego that won't last an hour against run of the mill chinese police