Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

silicone thrills posted:

Holy gently caress the planetary scale from the goes satellite

https://i.imgur.com/Hvb9wkn.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
bdelloid ape rot(ifer) club

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Sometimes it feels like the bad poo poo is accelerating.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

toggle posted:

i asked this before, but would be the first things to break in order to complete the collapse? the survey results few pages back said goons assume its going to happen 2033 or 2050s.. what would happen is these coming 11 years for it to kick off?

The collapse of the gulf stream would be it for me, everything would be a cascade effect from that

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Mameluke posted:

bdelloid ape rot(ifer) club

been thawed. all my bdelloids gone.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Blue Ocean event

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what about ocean-spanning algae blooms

red ocean event

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
first blue then red then green then yellow when it finally settles on pissworld

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

how do you even remotely begin to give a gently caress about anything after spending a few minutes in this thread

asking for a friend.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
crack ping until u become a nihilist

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

silicone thrills posted:

Sometimes it feels like the bad poo poo is accelerating.

it’s not that bad, yet

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Shima Honnou posted:

crack ping until u become a nihilist

i swear to god i thought i was but i keep loving up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Many Birds posted:

how do you even remotely begin to give a gently caress about anything after spending a few minutes in this thread

asking for a friend.
cuz things are still fun while they're around. and also pizzas, rent, power, and lentils currently still requires money. which means getting in a 4000lb bubble of plastic n steel bubble risking imminent death to go to work and doing just enough to appear competent to management. the only thing guaranteed to any one person is death; might as well do whatever you want in between: might as well have some fun and things are also very funny. like fishes still try to swim upstream even if their waters are shallow drying out polluted death cesspools filled with broken glass and oil spills.

also monster hunter rise whips rear end

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Massive volcanic eruption may keep the thermometer of pre-industrial times from rising for at least a few months.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Too Many Birds posted:

asking for a friend.

develop an appreciation for xtreme gallows humour because we're the punchline of the bleakest joke imaginable

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

asking for a friend.

Buddhism my dude 😎

You suffer reading this thread because you are attached to the way things were and your ego's place in them. Once you realize the only constant in the universe is change and that you aren't actually you (no mind, eliminate your ego) you can read this thread without going crazy.

A noob mistake is thinking that Buddhism leads to nihilism or hedonism or inaction. If what I wrote is true, why not just accept that climate change is inevitable and go hog wild on consumerism? But actually if you go deeper the opposite is true, once we understand our true nature we see we have a duty to do what we can to improve the world.

The main thing to understand is that calm contentedness (enlightenment at the limit) and suffering (which are opposites) are on an axis that is totally different and perpendicular to sadness and happiness. You can be sad about climate change, but not be in a state of suffering about it.

Of course I'm not enlightened and reading this thread does make me suffer sometimes but lots of meditation has been helping. But in my opinion meditation is most useful when understood through Buddhism, without that aspect of it you end up with poo poo like the Marines teaching mindfulness to help them be more effective killers.

Edit: oh but it's true I barely give a gently caress about having a "career" or helping contribute to industrial capitalism anymore

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Jan 15, 2022

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHPt_9tBe0

Home of the oaks and the weeds and the trash that will cover us given any time
Stranded at the tournament soaking up blood, nourished by the black art of the palace floor
Charging up the hill into machine guns with a plumed helmet and a broken sword

And the ice, sewage ice, it's selling like hot cakes additive slime
Herded to a yellow tape cordoned off place. We were just conscripts forced to wield arms
Lining up the pit with pointed sticks, drive them men downhill into the pit

And the ice, sewage ice, it's selling like hot cakes additive slime
Beast of carthage makes his call a carrion smell in the foreman's yard,
climbing up the dig site just for some rear end in a top hat named Halliwell on the phone for you

i dunno if i posted this already, but i'm definitely still drunk and willing to break internet forum laws

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

oh poo poo, actually i think i did post it already, actually

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990921

:rubby:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

not big enough, not even news outside cspam

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Too Many Birds posted:

asking for a friend.

Show your friend this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

also there are also a few hundred thousand people in south sudan who lost their homes in floods

but it should be ok because the pope gave them *checks notes*

https://twitter.com/GVayali/status/1469579023634341893

fuckn,,

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
volcano twitter seems to think it was between a VEI 5 (st helens, vesuvius) and a VEI 6 (pinatubo, krakatoa), probably closer to a 5.

on a planetary scale, things don't start getting interesting until VEI 7, and apocalyptic at VEI 8 (yellowstone, toba). like tornadoes, each point is a 10x increase in intensity.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Don't gently caress in the front hole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyumGSF9-4

I love him more than words can say.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Mola Yam posted:

volcano twitter seems to think it was between a VEI 5 (st helens, vesuvius) and a VEI 6 (pinatubo, krakatoa), probably closer to a 5.

on a planetary scale, things don't start getting interesting until VEI 7, and apocalyptic at VEI 8 (yellowstone, toba). like tornadoes, each point is a 10x increase in intensity.

VEI7 pls

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oy VEI

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
would be sweet to get some tempo global cooling up in this bitch tho

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

asking for a friend.

i got a low rent racing wheel & have to learn how to drift like a god man

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Jan 15, 2022

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

i swear to god i thought i was but i keep loving up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

speaking of fossil fuels a local little town has been evacuated since august when one of the old ng wells capped beneath the town exploded and took out three whole buildings on their main street. they can’t tell if there will be another explosion so nobody is allowed home and all their houses sit empty and unheated as the pipes freeze

this is also the town whose main highway shuts down on the other side because officials fear that the cliffy area it’s built on is eroding and will take the road with it

also lol this is in loving ontario

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in alberta alone there are more than seventy thousand abandoned wells in who knows what states

lol

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mola Yam posted:

Still hoping for a supervolcano to save the planet :pray:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

i may have slept too long but i'll take a sixer for this. hell, I'd take two sixers

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Too Many Birds posted:

asking for a friend.

At this point, I'd just focus on using whatever time there is left to do things that are meaningful to you and bring happiness. As far as "saving" the biosphere goes, that ship sailed decades ago. Individual action is meaningless and is basically a form of coping. It's abundantly clear that there is zero will to actually attempt degrowth or even reduce our dependence on fossil energy and destructive exploitation of natural resources.

Personally, I just want to live long enough to see the incredible content when this poo poo comes crashing down. And laugh all the way until I become a skull ornament on someone's wasteland buggy.

In short, lol lmao

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Is that oiled up Tongan Olympic athlete OK?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
11 alarm chemical fire this morning :allears:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

mediaphage posted:

would be sweet to get some tempo global cooling up in this bitch tho

Won't happen until after we've already sprayed a bunch of aerosols to try and bring the temps down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Booourns posted:

Won't happen until after we've already sprayed a bunch of aerosols to try and bring the temps down

new ice age by our own hands ftw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

11 alarm chemical fire this morning :allears:

11 alarm? I thought the alarms only went up to five :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

11 alarm? I thought the alarms only went up to five :stare:

The term generally refers to the amount of responding departments (an alarm being their activation signal)