Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Watched eternals and it was boring as hell. The gold mage spells were cool (classic color for gods and such especially of the Greek variety) and the giant space god was badass but everything else was a slog. Just dreck. sorry our friend Chloe had to wrestle with that script. Unsure why she took this gig but I’m sure she got hella paid for it so good on her. Stack that paper, never know if this job’l be your last.

It was readily apparent that this was a Twitter d&i movie but that’s not here nor there. the cast was cool and my favorite dude was the beefy punch guy and also the monster which could have been cool but then was written out for no reason. there was a whole plot line of the monsters and the eternals being basically the same especially once that one became sentient and then, uh, just unceremoniously executed by a bizarre looking Angelina Jolie. I wouldn’t have cast her for this role.

Only other above the line notes is that Gemma Chan is a top tier mega babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Michael Douglas as JJJ is absolutely spot on casting.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

In 95 there's no way Arnie doesn't play Thor but yeah otherwise this tracks.

Did people care who NPH was back then? Seems like he wouldn't have really been taken seriously enough yet, you probably end up with someone like Will Smith as Spidey.

In 95, Eddie Furlong would Spidernan and rocket would be voiced by Jim Carrey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

More people need to watch Alan Moore’s movie The Show so I can talk about it. :argh:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Smythe posted:

sorry our friend Chloe had to wrestle with that script. Unsure why she took this gig but I’m sure she got hella paid for it so good on her.

Didn't she write the script?

And given Disney I wouldn't count on her getting a huge paycheck.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

More people need to watch Alan Moore’s movie The Show so I can talk about it. :argh:

I will soon I promise

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I thought Gemma Chan and Richard Madden were two of the worst parts of that movie. The only thing worse is the really obnoxious heel turn by Sprite in the last third.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sandwolf posted:

I thought Gemma Chan and Richard Madden were two of the worst parts of that movie.

Incredibly boring characters played by two incredibly bored looking performers.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't she write the script?

lol so it appears

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I thought Gemma Chan and Richard Madden were two of the worst parts of that movie. The only thing worse is the really obnoxious heel turn by Sprite in the last third.

And Jolie was the best part, largely because she ignored the Whedony house style. I actually cared about her space illness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wait why would you cast Denzel was Wonder Woman lmao

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CelticPredator posted:

Denzel Washington is a very good actor.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I hope the Denzel Magneto rumors actually prove true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The joke was "Denzel Washington is such a good actor he could fill any role and do it well."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Disposable Scud posted:

Wait what

that would be amazing on several levels.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Here's a great video on Cameron's Spider-Man that irons out a lot of the misinformation surrounding it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjRHwY1qQU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Here's a great video on Cameron's Spider-Man that irons out a lot of the misinformation surrounding it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjRHwY1qQU

This is a great channel btw. Does a deep dive on a lot of movies that didn't happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We saw Eternals today and it wasn't the ultra-disaster I was expecting from reactions to it but it definitely dragged. I have to agree with some other posts that more than the large cast the way the Deviants are used in it felt kind of pointless, all of the action scenes involving them were weak to me too but I enjoyed the humanoid on humanoid fights and I appreciated that this had a consistent look and stuff that wasn't like the other MCU movies.

I liked the less quippy characters A LOT also and most of the cast seemed to not be performing anything like any other MCU folks so it was refreshing in that respect.

Kind of frustrating since there was some stuff in there I liked so much but the early deviant fights and some of the flashbacks really drag it down for me, and especially the fight when they're in the Amazon just felt really lifeless. But overall it was fine.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sandwolf posted:

Try spending 7000 years in middle school. You'd get pretty obnoxious too.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Disposable Scud posted:

Goddamn that would own immensely. But then who do you get to play Xavier that can hold their own against that?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Goddamn that would own immensely. But then who do you get to play Xavier that can hold their own against that?

Ethan Hawk, just for kicks.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

Ethan Hawk, just for kicks.

That was my immediate thought honestly. It'd be an interesting rematch of sorts, Hawke has always been good but I think he's leveled up since Training Day. If you haven't seen First Reformed or Good Lord Bird I highly recommend both.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
David Oyelowo is the Xavier rumor.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeesh. I know he's a good actor but Oyelowo seems like a very boring choice. What's Ken Watanabe up to these days?

Casting choices aside I wonder what historical event they replace the WW2 stuff with. Not much in scale to compare obviously but depending on the angle and time frame there are some interesting options for sufficiently traumatizing and radicalizing events. Erik Lensher, lone survivor of the MOVE bombing, for example.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just have it so omega level mutants age slower.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeesh. I know he's a good actor but Oyelowo seems like a very boring choice. What's Ken Watanabe up to these days?

Casting choices aside I wonder what historical event they replace the WW2 stuff with. Not much in scale to compare obviously but depending on the angle and time frame there are some interesting options for sufficiently traumatizing and radicalizing events. Erik Lensher, lone survivor of the MOVE bombing, for example.

Civil Rights movement

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Charlz Guybon posted:

Civil Rights movement

Yeah, people really forget (of were never taught) just how bad things were in the American South during the lifespan of your grandparents, if not in the lifespan of your older parents.*

*poo poo was plenty bad in a lot of the American North, but...

EDIT: For example, Denzel would've only been 8 or 9 at the time of the Birmingham church bombing (4 Little Girls).

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 16, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah, people really forget (of were never taught) just how bad things were in the American South during the lifespan of your grandparents, if not in the lifespan of your older parents.*

*poo poo was plenty bad in a lot of the American North, but...

EDIT: For example, Denzel would've only been 8 or 9 at the time of the Birmingham church bombing (4 Little Girls).

You could write that and a deft hand could make something good out of it but it is so full of pitfalls even before you consider it is something being made under the aegis of Disney.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

David Oyelowo is the Xavier rumor.

Oyelowo is very boring so that's perfect. Though I guess there's no course correction coming for movie Xavier's Britishness.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Denzel magneto

Lance reddick xavier

Anatol yusef wolverine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Denzel magneto

Lance reddick xavier

Anatol yusef wolverine

Lmfao at lance reddick prof x. ActUlly fully sick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Spacebump posted:

Just have it so omega level mutants age slower.

Reminds me of X-Men Evolution, which has a pretty great episode with a flashback sequence of WW2-era Logan rescuing young Magneto from a concentration camp. Also establishes an interesting take on Captain America; the 'Rebirth' treatment that gave him his powers is also slowly killing him, and he's deliberately cryogenically frozen til they can find a cure. However, the same treatment applied to mutants actually rejuvenates them, and Magneto seeks it out- succesfully.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My main issue with Eternals was that ensemble casts really benefit from an origin story, or you don't care who anyone is at the start. It felt like 1/2 of a decent origin movie and 3/4 of a pretty good sequel were mashed together into one overlong non-linear narrative, but neither part quite gets there because the origin beats come too late and the reveal comes too early. As-is, there's no weight to the emotional beats and it doesn't earn its runtime.

The other issue is that the 7000 year olds are written like modern humans with modern problems. I would've easily dropped 20 minutes of "oooh who's Sersi gonna kiss?" in favor of some deep immortal wisdom or world-weariness. The only character who makes a salient point of what living that life for thousands of years must do to a person is Druig, but that's portrayed as misguided.

It also would've been nice if they had clearly connected the Celestials to Ego and Knowhere to tie it in better with the greater MCU. Or if they wanted to make an actual bold move, destroy Earth and birth Tiamut, then have the Eternals cross over to become part of the whole multiverse setup.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sticklefifer posted:

My main issue with Eternals was that ensemble casts really benefit from an origin story, or you don't care who anyone is at the start.

This is such a wild take because people firmly believe it despite the massive trove of counter examples and the idea of an “origin story” for an ensemble being invented by Marvel less very recently to sell more movie tickets. Did you watch Seven Samurai and walk away confused and unmoved because you hadn’t watch 14 hours of other movies to introduce the eponymous seven?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is such a wild take because people firmly believe it despite the massive trove of counter examples and the idea of an “origin story” for an ensemble being invented by Marvel less very recently to sell more movie tickets. Did you watch Seven Samurai and walk away confused and unmoved because you hadn’t watch 14 hours of other movies to introduce the eponymous seven?

No, but I only really remember Mifune.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pretty late on this, but The Suicide Squad (2021) was surprisingly good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My biggest issue with Eternals is that the Natural History Museum isn’t a school.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

I think Cameron wanted Arnie to be the Goblin

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1468717717104447492

[edit] Oh wait, the article says he was supposed to be Otto, lmao.

gently caress. Arnold as Doc Ock is something that would be dope as hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress. Arnold as Doc Ock is something that would be dope as hell.

Pretty sure it'd be basically Mr Freeze with octopus puns instead of ice puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure it'd be basically Mr Freeze with octopus puns instead of ice puns.

So basically perfect.