Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd like to inform the thread that I accidentally left goons.xlsx on a train

e: nice

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You won't believe where I accidentally left goats.xlsx (and neither will A&E)

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like the decline of mao posting has coincided with a decline in crisp posting

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

sebzilla posted:

This is a fun place to start, I suppose. Enjoy a thread full of terminal centrist Labour brain where anyone left of Brown is prima facie an antisemite.

https://www.theforum365.com/topic/250-official-labour-party-thread-not-as-deranged-as-we-used-to-be/?do=findComment&comment=3934969

Everyone else, do your best to not touch the poop. It can be intoxicating.

i do not have the permission to view that page, apparently

though i'm pretty sure this thread would easily weather a centrist invasion. i also doubt the invaders would be successful in finding anything even remotely resembling antisemitism here

also, i sincerelly doubt Prole is a centrist plant on the merit of their avatar choice alone (i wouldn't rule out them being a KGB plant though :v:)

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

nurmie posted:

i do not have the permission to view that page, apparently

though i'm pretty sure this thread would easily weather a centrist invasion. i also doubt the invaders would be successful in finding anything even remotely resembling antisemitism here

also, i sincerelly doubt Prole is a centrist plant on the merit of their avatar choice alone (i wouldn't rule out them being a KGB plant though :v:)

Haha you're the first person to ever recognise that! :)

Edit: I can't view the link either. Whatever though. I say let them come. They won't stick around once they start getting debated with informed opinion... They're not used to that, the Centrists.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Oh dear me posted:

Statistically, since we are a lefty group, a good chunk of us must be MI5 plants. My money is on Camrath with his fudge-making scheme to get our names and addresses.

I mean, up until I switched to using a webstore in December 2020 I did literally have a UKMT.xls to keep track of my orders and shipments. (Now long since deleted).

You got it the wrong way around though- as I’ve said several times, I started really paying attention to the LF incarnation of the thread like 13 years back because I worked in security management for RBS/Coutts around the time of the big protests at the back end of the noughties and Group Risk asked me to gather intelligence. I just went native, hardcore. Turns out exposure to left wing ideas and discussion can convert a person, who’d have thunk it?

Edit: Also, first fudge batch of the new year dropping tonight with some amazing new flavours! Watch this space!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 15, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Prole posted:

I'm no re-reg. Scout's honour.

Now who's the prat :colbert:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I doubt anyone could be arsed invading because really who's paying :10bux: to get dunked on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is this the setup to a labour members joke?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Is this the setup to a labour members joke?

That reminds me, must cancel my membership...

I've been putting it off because I want to be able to vote in the internal elections but ehhhh

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

StAy AnD fIgHt

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Christ. Almost 6m people dead worldwide, but Helen Lewis wants her life back... These people make me sick, you know.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The more people try to just Make (Pretend) Everything Normal Again the more they prolong it for themselves (and for the rest of us too)

The problem with living in Boomer Todestrieb Nation is that you can't escape being sucked down with them

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've always assumed that about 80% of us are plants. Fully expect to discover I've been working for GCHQ all along without realising it.

If i'm a plant, then i sexually identify as a wild rose.... little bees, little bees!!!!!! :kiss: :centrism:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Decent turnout at the Kill The Bill marches across the country by the looks of things. Awesome.

https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1482344222502105089?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Why is it strange XR is there?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is it strange XR is there?

Apart from the fact that they actually are 85% cops, I think she means because they haven't really bothered protesting the Bill thus far. Vaguely remember someone from XR (and someone from that astroturf group that bailed on the Everard vigil) saying they're supportive of the Bill because breaking the law is bad or some such nonsense.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

as if I just cut my thumb on the foil of a tray of paracetamol lol

how is that even possible

I literally have a scar obtained from a bouncy castle over 20 years ago.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Prole posted:

As for objectionable statements: I haven't been here long but everyone seems absolutely on the level to me. Nothing objectionable here.

Wait 'till Dry January is over and I return to irregular late night postings of my big daily poo, high impact examinations on subjects such as "Does everybody still know that Bodger loves mashed potatoes?" and the occasional musing about tiny models.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Prole posted:

Christ. Almost 6m people dead worldwide, but Helen Lewis wants her life back... These people make me sick, you know.
The wording as well. A brief google reveals it's 15.1 million 150k dead just in the UK, an estimated 1.1 million living with long covid according to ONS, and this absolute weapon decides she wants her 'life' back.

Barry Foster posted:

The more people try to just Make (Pretend) Everything Normal Again the more they prolong it for themselves (and for the rest of us too)
The easiest way to 'get your life back' is to obey mask mandates and be careful in public spaces to minimise the spread of the virus. New Zealand did it by not being absolute children about it. The more people piss about being 'clever' and wearing masks on their chin or not at all on public transport and in shops, the longer we delay the 'return to normality' they want.

Again, this is just wankers who think your gran should die so they can go back to standing round at a poo poo dinner party spraying everyone with their germs and poo poo opinions.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 15, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The easiest way to 'get your life back' is to obey mask mandates and be careful in public spaces to minimise the spread of the virus. New Zealand did it by not being absolute children about it. The more people piss about being 'clever' and wearing masks on their chin or not at all on public transport and in shops, the longer we delay the 'return to normality' they want.

Again, this is just wankers who think your gran should die so they can go back to standing round at a poo poo dinner party spraying everyone with their germs and poo poo opinions.

Indeed

It's loving tiring

Nonvoluntarily trapped in an endless prisoner's dilemma game where the Other defects every single time

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

That reminds me, must cancel my membership...

I've been putting it off because I want to be able to vote in the internal elections but ehhhh

My local MP (David Lammy) recently apologised for nominating corbyn for leader. Last straw for me, voting green from now on I guess

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The wording as well. A brief google reveals it's 15.1 million dead just in the UK,

Like a quarter of the population?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Like a quarter of the population?

15m *cases* confirmed I think.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was going to say, 15m dead would give most antivaxxers pause for thought, permanently (because they'd all be dead).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yes, that's google showing me total cases over the entire pandemic when I asked specifically for total deaths in the uk

Total deaths is about 152,000 so far, so add those to the austerity deaths and you have upwards of 300k brits dead as a result of Tory ideology.

ONS still reports 1.1m living with long covid as of sept 2021 (so before the latest spike), of whom 706k say the symptoms adversely affect their day to day lives, and of those 211k saying their quality of life was impacted severely.

But no, Helen needs her treats.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Speaking of melt invasions, loads of people in the thread were lib dem voting decorum centrists in the past. I certainly was...

It's just very hard to stay that way in the face of the folks in this environment if you have even an ounce of good faith... Because hey guess what, if you want the most people to have the best quality of life and the most actual freedom not at the expense of another race or culture... Leftism is the only actual solution and everything else is just a half measure.

People that don't argue in good faith get spotted and run out pretty drat quicky because loads of us came from there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I doubt anyone could be arsed invading because really who's paying :10bux: to get dunked on

I think if anybody would do that it would be centrists, tbh, they're all little pain piggies.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes, that's google showing me total cases over the entire pandemic when I asked specifically for total deaths in the uk

Total deaths is about 152,000 so far, so add those to the austerity deaths and you have upwards of 300k brits dead as a result of Tory ideology.

ONS still reports 1.1m living with long covid as of sept 2021 (so before the latest spike), of whom 706k say the symptoms adversely affect their day to day lives, and of those 211k saying their quality of life was impacted severely.

But no, Helen needs her treats.

And along with the whinging from the IWantToSpeakToTheManagerOfCovid types, you also get the more passive consent manufacturing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59970281

"The only major curve ball would be a new variant that can outcompete Omicron and cause significantly more severe disease."

Surely such a thing will never happen, though

E sorry, I'm gonna stop after this, my new year's resolution was to stop relentlessly spreading negativity around. I can only plead that I'm cross and frustrated because I'm on day 17 of being sick (and it's not even covid)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

^^^^
I may have this wrong but is it not quite unusual for viruses to evolve to be more deadly, just because it's actually far easier for them to reproduce where they don't kill their hosts, so the usual trajectory is more contagious/less deadly until they become unremarkable endemic diseases

Mebh posted:

Speaking of melt invasions, loads of people in the thread were lib dem voting decorum centrists in the past. I certainly was...

It's just very hard to stay that way in the face of the folks in this environment if you have even an ounce of good faith... Because hey guess what, if you want the most people to have the best quality of life and the most actual freedom not at the expense of another race or culture... Leftism is the only actual solution and everything else is just a half measure.

People that don't argue in good faith get spotted and run out pretty drat quicky because loads of us came from there.

I mean we put up with pissflaps for a long time

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 15, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We all want things, I want to be able to fly, and also to not be terrified of being more than about six feet off the ground as being able to fly would have very little utility otherwise, but just wanting things does not make them so, astonishingly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

We all want things, I want to be able to fly, and also to not be terrified of being more than about six feet off the ground as being able to fly would have very little utility otherwise, but just wanting things does not make them so, astonishingly.

Bugger. So me wanting to lose 25kg in 1 week by stuffing icecream down my fizzog every night isn't going to work then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bugger. So me wanting to lose 25kg in 1 week by stuffing icecream down my fizzog every night isn't going to work then?

Probably not directly but if you can get enough people to pay for a seminar where you tell them to do that despite it not actually working you can probably pay for someone to remove 25kg from you in some fashion.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prole posted:

Same, except it's been nearly 12 years Helen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did imgur change their interface yet again? It's harder than ever to get a straight up link to the image you want to post.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

^^^^
I may have this wrong but is it not quite unusual for viruses to evolve to be more deadly, just because it's actually far easier for them to reproduce where they don't kill their hosts, so the usual trajectory is more contagious/less deadly until they become unremarkable endemic diseases

That only pertains when the virus's ability to replicate and spread is stymied by its sickening and killing the host.

Covid gets all its spreading done just before/just after you develop symptoms, but kills you weeks later, so there's no selective pressure to make it less deadly. That's not to say it can't or won't become less deadly, but it's all a dice roll (that's evolution) and there's no guarantee it's what will happen. A more deadly variant is perfectly possible.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

For better or for worse, internet forums tend to be an organic entity. A thread may start off with an eclectic mix of opinions and views from a range of backgrounds, but through sheer group dynamics you find they congeal into a sort of bubble of similar opinion. Either people get swayed by the opinions of others or those with what we might call "dissenting opinion" find it better for their brain to slide off elsewhere. I'd hazard a guess that almost everyone in here is a working class/emergent wc person aged between 25 and 50 with broadly "hard left" views and a penchant for poking the bees nest in terms of debate. Among ourselves, disagreement is still a thing, but it's more about the nuances.

Twitter is slightly different. It's the very reason the libs on twitter are so roundly owned so often: The likes of Baddiel and Lewis aren't used to rubbing up against people who will say "hang on, that's bullshit". Twitter, unlike internet forums, doesn't have that same sense of self-cultivated membership. I love debating centrists more than I love debating tories and the right, simply because they aren't used to being held accountable or facing any kind of challenge to their viewpoint at all. It's maybe the only aspect of the bullshit "horseshoe" theory that fits - the left and right are the same in one way: both are well used to having to defend their ideological standpoint in the face of often aggressive challenge...

I'm all for letting the libs in, but in a year it'll be back to being a roundly leftist collection of chronically online but almost certainly correct individuals, either because the centrists will run away or because the good faith actors among them acquiesce to the arguments we make. When I started writing this I had a point, but I've forgotten it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We do occasionally get the odd liberal blundering in with some silly take but yeah, it usually ends with them wandering off complaining about echo chambers having failed to persuade anybody.

To be honest I don't buy at all the notion that "echo chambers" are a thing, I don't believe there are actually people who voluntarily hang out with people they don't at least broadly agree with. Who the gently caress wants to spend time with people you just have constant arguments with?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Leftists. Always infighting in their echochambers :rolleyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

That only pertains when the virus's ability to replicate and spread is stymied by its sickening and killing the host.

Covid gets all its spreading done just before/just after you develop symptoms, but kills you weeks later, so there's no selective pressure to make it less deadly. That's not to say it can't or won't become less deadly, but it's all a dice roll (that's evolution) and there's no guarantee it's what will happen. A more deadly variant is perfectly possible.

Conversely there is very little space for any variant to out-compete Omicron, which is already considerably more contagious than any other respiratory disease, and a huge reason for that efficiency in spread is where it most likes to reproduce, which limits its deadliness.

The more likely bad outcome, especially given the massive worldwide pool it can try out new stuff in, is a variant closer in transmissibility and deadliness to Delta, but completely immune-evading, putting us right back to square 1 (or in fact square zero because a *lot* of vaccines were rolled out before Delta hit, and also people were much more willing to go along with NPIs). This is still relatively unlikely (the immunity evasion bit, anyway - between vaccines and Omicron a massive amount of the population have an immune system that is a lean, mean, coronavirus killing machine) but at the same time just 3 months ago we were all starting to breathe a sigh of relief that Delta seemed to be on its way out and thinking maybe it was all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Bobstar posted:

Leftists. Always infighting in their echochambers :rolleyes:

It's sort of true, in a sense... but...

When leftists in-fight it's about "how best to make things better for everyone", whereas the libs argue "should we even try to make things better for everyone?"