Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This is still feeling very Heaven's Gate-y just not from the same people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Love how the comic is immediately agreeing with Renard that this whole 'fairness' concept is clearly bullshit, and also the Court is clearly being unfair. It just doesn't seem well thought out!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this might have been easier to swallow if aata was the one being interrogated. shell can't even articulate the court's side of the argument, much less make it convincing

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Joe Slowboat posted:

Love how the comic is immediately agreeing with Renard that this whole 'fairness' concept is clearly bullshit, and also the Court is clearly being unfair. It just doesn't seem well thought out!

I mean, that part is consistent. The Shadow Men have identified a genuine instance in which life is unfair; the problem is that their reaction is vastly out of proportion to the problem, causes as least as much unfairness as it solves, and... doesn't really solve the problem at all except insofar as Coyote doesn't live in New Jersey.

Oxxidation posted:

this might have been easier to swallow if aata was the one being interrogated. shell can't even articulate the court's side of the argument, much less make it convincing

This is the problem. Shell is the only person who gets to articulate the Court viewpoint, and Shell is a loving moron with the emotional maturity of a twelve-year-old, who doesn't even know what the Court's plan is, and is so dumb that she didn't even realize she didn't know the plan until someone asked her what it was.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, on this page we see Shell expressing the Court's goals, and the art is clearly intended to express "the Court is a bunch of boring men who worship boringness." Even in their own big art pieces they get treated with contempt!

At this point I just don't know what Siddell is attempting to convey, unless it's "the antagonists of this story are both unworthy of being treated as adults, and are completely incompetent, and if they are not stopped, they will carry out their threat: they will take their ball (which nobody wants) and move to New Jersey."

I guess it's technically a threat to the people of New Jersey.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I don't really know why this is being treated like a big stinger moment with a closeup on Kat's face.

Kat's mom cannot go because she is capable of wielding the ether. Kat's father would not go, because he loves his wife and would be pissed off that she's excluded after all she's done for the court.

Kat's best friend cannot go because she is capable of wielding the ether. The best friend she just broke time and space for. Nor can Robot, or Renard, or Shadow.

The entirety of robot civilization she just got done making and has been passionately throwing herself into, also unable to go.

I feel like if she chose to go anyway it would feel out of character on the level of that time that she magically became besties with Tony overnight because he likes a science and that somehow is more important than the emotional neglect she witnessed her best friend go through for years of critical childhood development. Maybe Paz will go because magic talents are somehow cool and okay and have nothing to do with the ether? And Kat wants to be with her love? That feels like the only angle you could lean on to make it anywhere close to believable.

That said, one question I am very interested in is this: What will happen to Jones? They say nonhumans aren't allowed, but Jones is one of their best assets and has been for quite some time. But she's inarguably not human, physically and mentally. It would be interesting if they had some hypocrisy in that regard.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Wait so like, does the Court care about etheric unfairness or YOOMANITY? Why do we care that Arthur isn't human? He's as etherically a non-entity as any regular human.

Tiny Myers posted:

I don't really know why this is being treated like a big stinger moment with a closeup on Kat's face.

Also this lmao. Wow! This might require half a second of thought!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, that part is consistent. The Shadow Men have identified a genuine instance in which life is unfair; the problem is that their reaction is vastly out of proportion to the problem, causes as least as much unfairness as it solves, and... doesn't really solve the problem at all except insofar as Coyote doesn't live in New Jersey.

I don't mean that the Shadow Men are not obviously reacting in the most useless way imaginable to their situation, they are, I mean Renard on the previous page went directly to "Life's not fair, your claim of unfairness is actually jealousy" and then immediately goes "ah but see YOU are unfair."

He's not expressing a coherent point of view on unfairness, naturalness, cruelty or acceptance. He's just coming out with negations for each specific concept put in front of him with no thought for what position he's actually presenting in aggregate.

When it would be very very easy to go 'yeah, that's unfair and pretty bad, but what's the Court's solution? Oh, it's terrible, oh well.'

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Joe Slowboat posted:

I don't mean that the Shadow Men are not obviously reacting in the most useless way imaginable to their situation, they are, I mean Renard on the previous page went directly to "Life's not fair, your claim of unfairness is actually jealousy" and then immediately goes "ah but see YOU are unfair."

He's not expressing a coherent point of view on unfairness, naturalness, cruelty or acceptance. He's just coming out with negations for each specific concept put in front of him with no thought for what position he's actually presenting in aggregate.

When it would be very very easy to go 'yeah, that's unfair and pretty bad, but what's the Court's solution? Oh, it's terrible, oh well.'

I guess?

I would probably be more judgmental of Renard's swift dismissal of Shell's position if she actually had a position worth defending, but as it is he just took two panels to write her off as a muppet baby instead of three.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
renard's retort seems to consist of "you claim that your position is borne from outrage at cosmic injustice, but you're just answering it with further exclusion and injustice," but the whole thing is built on a weak foundation because, again, shell's incapable of eloquently arguing her side

god i miss coyote. he was an all-powerful dickhead but he fully acknowledged and accepted that his position was ultimately subordinate to the imagination of humans because of the way the ether functioned, which made the world feel "balanced" even if only one side of it could casually become tall enough to flick over a skyscraper. in comparison, every one of loup's monologues was a desperate attempt to justify his own presence in the story and even those were pleasant compared to this - a high schooler with a fivehead sitting in a beige room, mumbling into her collarbone

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 14, 2022

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Tiny Myers posted:

The best I can think of is it's a "you don't actually have a choice in the matter", but that's immediately squashed by the point that Juliette immediately refuses to go as well, which passes without comment.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I figured the singling out was foreshadowing for Kat's apotheosis. Possibly a callback to the Torn Sea as well especially since we know Zimmy is likely involved in some way.

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think this is a setup for the Paz vs Annie subplot to come to a head: Paz will for some reason be allowed to go, really want to go, and when Kat demurs on leaving Annie behind, Paz will explode and demand she choose between the woman who loves her or her ungrateful, emotionally negligent "friend".

This will also complete the other part of Paz's subplot: you cannot hope to change the Court for the better, association with the Court can only slowly rob you of your humanity.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Doesn't Paz have an etheric ability in regards to animals? Or is my memory conjuring up something fake?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she’s a Doolittle, yeah. can’t have a quirky magic school without a Doolittle

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's unclear whether that counts as interacting with the ether or not. We've been told the court specifically seeks out and cultivates people with Special Talents, such as Paz's ability to speak with animals. Similarly, Kat has an obvious supernatural affinity for robotics that goes far beyond simple "gifted student", whether she'd admit it to herself or not. So if they're accepting that, it stands to reason they'd allow Paz, as well, because neither of them peer directly into the ether (yet?) that we're aware of.

But Kat was probably grandfathered into the court as a result of her mom working there, so it's possible they don't understand the full extent of her gift, unlike Paz. They didn't notice or care about her etherically creating a body for a boat robot, either, I guess? Just chocked that one up to Zimmy magic and didn't pursue it any further?

It raises a lot of questions about where the line between "student that fucks with the Ether" and "student that has Special Powers" is drawn. Feels a little arbitrary, tbh.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Can Smitty go? He clearly has some sort of thing going on, does that count as magic or not?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Kat's totally gonna throw Annie + her parents in a dumpster and go with the Court

It doesn't make any sense but it's absolutely happening

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Kat's totally gonna throw Annie + her parents in a dumpster and go with the Court

It doesn't make any sense but it's absolutely happening

Or it'll be, "We need a person on the inside for some reason and I will sacrifice my connections with others for the greater good."

I don't know why they'd even care about taking their ball and going to a new home but here we are.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I assume it will be a big deal for the same reason Tony trying to resurrect Surma ended up being a big deal - it wouldn't be an issue by itself, but the unintended side-effect will result in death of all etheric beings, or it will lobotomize all humans so that they can longer feed ether, or something like that.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 15, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I assume once we get the full picture of what the shadow men are planning it’ll be less “everyone gets on a plane to Ohio” and more “the shadow men trigger third impact”.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I assume once we get the full picture of what the shadow men are planning it’ll be less “everyone gets on a plane to Ohio” and more “the shadow men trigger third impact”.

Clearly they’re all going to the Metaverse, invented by Kat Zuckerberg

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Look, you just need to kill enough people who believe the ether doesnt, or shouldnt, exist, and bada bing bada boom...

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood
Leaving in the normal, physical way is out of the question. The Ether is a fundamental component of their universe. They need something on the order of Coyote’s power to either rewrite the intrinsic laws of existence or rip a hole in space time to escape into another reality. Of course there will be world shattering consequences. That would be freakishly dangerous even before the Shadow Men were revealed to be bumbling fools.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

machine god kat is a massive chekhov's gun to leave on the table and I don't see how somehow or another its existence won't end up factoring in to the story whether through plot contrivance and/or interdimensional fuckery

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can Smitty go? He clearly has some sort of thing going on, does that count as magic or not?

To be honest, I don't think so. When Annie peered into the ether there were a bunch of threads tethered to him that seemed to indicate how his powers work. So even if he can't see it, he's still using it.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

machine god kat is a massive chekhov's gun to leave on the table and I don't see how somehow or another its existence won't end up factoring in to the story whether through plot contrivance and/or interdimensional fuckery

at this point i'm assuming that the entire machine god storyline is supposed to be neatly wrapped with a nice little bow.

... i'm getting to be desperate for a pleasant surprise.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Remember when this happened in 2016?

Did they literally ever talk about it later? Maybe they had that conversation during the 6 months that Annie was in the forest.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Tiny Myers posted:

Remember when this happened in 2016?

Did they literally ever talk about it later? Maybe they had that conversation during the 6 months that Annie was in the forest.

Annie drew her a picture, but I think they left it at that.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe Kat is Omega.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sway Grunt posted:

Annie drew her a picture, but I think they left it at that.

...does Annie think the angel she saw was the tool?

She doesn't realize that's Kat, does she?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

^ I hadn't realised that. That's hillarious.

Tiny Myers posted:

Kat's mom cannot go because she is capable of wielding the ether. Kat's father would not go, because he loves his wife and would be pissed off that she's excluded after all she's done for the court.

Kat has grown up in the court, she's made her whole life around fixing the problems of the court. She's only ever left for a few holidays. The closeup is her realisation that she can either choose her friends, or her home, and that the home is quite willing to discard her without a second though. ("Juliette could go" "no!" "well she couldn't then") but she can no longer have both.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Potato Salad posted:

...does Annie think the angel she saw was the tool?

She doesn't realize that's Kat, does she?

Oh man I never caught that either. Haha wow.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Kat has grown up in the court, she's made her whole life around fixing the problems of the court. She's only ever left for a few holidays. The closeup is her realisation that she can either choose her friends, or her home, and that the home is quite willing to discard her without a second though. ("Juliette could go" "no!" "well she couldn't then") but she can no longer have both.
That would be a tough choice if her parents were going, which I assume she'll quickly realise can't be the case. If home is a building, it isn't moving. If home is everyone she knows, most of them aren't moving either.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

maswastaken posted:

That would be a tough choice if her parents were going, which I assume she'll quickly realise can't be the case. If home is a building, it isn't moving. If home is everyone she knows, most of them aren't moving either.

Yeah, if her parents were going, I could see it being a tough decision for her that could go either way. But literally every single person she has any emotional connection with, outside of Paz (and even that is maybe, she can talk to animals after all), is staying behind. I can't see how she could decide NOT to stay behind, without being wildly out of character (or the story spending some drat good effort in giving her more temptations and reasons for going).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Court isn't really giving much motivation for any of the main characters we've met to go with them when they leave, nor has the story provided a reason yet for why them leaving is a bad thing.

Right now it's just: "So you know those people who've been hassling you all these years? Yeah, they're leaving. No, you don't have to go with them, you can to refuse to come for any reason, in fact the majority of the people you care about aren't even allowed to go. You can continue living your lives now free from the shadowy forces that have been oppressing you."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Um, were there even any shadowy Court forces oppressing main characters in the story? I mean more than is usual for British boarding school? :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 16, 2022

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, were there any even shadowy Court forces oppressing main characters in the story? I mean more than is usual for British boarding school? :v:

basically only the headmaster, and the faceless shadow men we've seen around a few times. so... kinda no.

also the wiki doesn't even have a page for shadow men, if you try to find it it just redirects you to Shadow's species.

e: alsoalso there's this page, which shows aata and shell as part of the group that was trying to shut down kat's workshop just after loup's attack.

Niavmai fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 16, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, if her parents were going, I could see it being a tough decision for her that could go either way. But literally every single person she has any emotional connection with, outside of Paz (and even that is maybe, she can talk to animals after all), is staying behind. I can't see how she could decide NOT to stay behind, without being wildly out of character (or the story spending some drat good effort in giving her more temptations and reasons for going).

How old is Kat, because it's possible she doesn't really have a choice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
her mother is besties with a valkyrie, i don't think kat's parents are on the court's short list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

How old is Kat, because it's possible she doesn't really have a choice.

I mean, her parents are alive, well-adjusted and love her (and are staying behind), so I have hard time seeing them pressuring her into anything she doesn't want just because she is a minor. And if the Court/shadow men would try doing that instead, her parents would almost certainly not like that at all and intervene.