Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's not a terrible idea, but having enemies in the system lowers accessibility. You can eventually kill them or your patrols and random mercenary spawns will attrit them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Bruc posted:

Is it a bad idea to build a colony in a low risk beacon system?. They don't attack me flying around normally but I have no clue waht will happen if i build stuff.

The NPCs will trigger then and they'll pretty much all die off eventually.

I highly suggest everyone get the object analysis mod because it will loving save you so much time. So many times i've either jumped into a system then left or wasted time trying to do a search pattern but now i know whats in a system so i can just safely ignore it or begin to search knowing there's something worth searching for.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Low risk systems are fine. Usually whatever remnants are present will be so weak that they can't even threaten small trade fleets.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Surely someone's making an Expanse mod?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Bruc posted:

Is it a bad idea to build a colony in a low risk beacon system?. They don't attack me flying around normally but I have no clue waht will happen if i build stuff.

it's only a problem if there is a remnant station. they will spawn endlessly from there. otherwise you're good

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

smooth jazz posted:

Surely someone's making an Expanse mod?

Seriously i'd love a long range armor only set of ships, they'd pretty much sit at 1000m lobbing really fast missiles that packed a wallop or use rail guns. All small mounts would be for PDC's which would be 500m with amazing coverage but the balance would be the flux. You could wear them down with long range weapons if you survived the torpedo and rail gun barrage but the optimal would be to rush them. Give each ship built in shield shunt + expanded missile racks to ensure they don't get cheesed. You'd only need 3 weapon types and you could add variety with the missile warhead types and maybe some rail gun sizes. Plasma missiles for anti armor, nuke for clearing, and flechette for overloading. Give even the smallest ship at least 15 missiles and belter ships could specialize in shooting a ton of them at once before diving in with PDC's.

Give em the burn ability to encourage them flying all around the battle field and doing sick flips to decelerate. A donnager class with 20+ small mounts, 2 large rail mounts, and like 60 missiles would be able to stand toe to toe with shielded capitals.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TTS Ideas Guy is in danger of suffering critical malfunctions

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Raine posted:

it's only a problem if there is a remnant station. they will spawn endlessly from there. otherwise you're good

That is orange and red only, Green beacons are safe.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This game's combat is pretty fluid but it does not play the way the expanse TV show looked which seems to be what the nerds who keep bringing it up want. Go look at nebulous for expanse stuff, it too looks very good. Play starsector for starsector, because starsector owns.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think the way starsector does combat is in almost any way applicable. also, the average destroyer is the size of a expanse battleship

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Arghy posted:

Seriously i'd love a long range armor only set of ships, they'd pretty much sit at 1000m lobbing really fast missiles that packed a wallop or use rail guns. All small mounts would be for PDC's which would be 500m with amazing coverage but the balance would be the flux. You could wear them down with long range weapons if you survived the torpedo and rail gun barrage but the optimal would be to rush them. Give each ship built in shield shunt + expanded missile racks to ensure they don't get cheesed. You'd only need 3 weapon types and you could add variety with the missile warhead types and maybe some rail gun sizes. Plasma missiles for anti armor, nuke for clearing, and flechette for overloading. Give even the smallest ship at least 15 missiles and belter ships could specialize in shooting a ton of them at once before diving in with PDC's.

Give em the burn ability to encourage them flying all around the battle field and doing sick flips to decelerate. A donnager class with 20+ small mounts, 2 large rail mounts, and like 60 missiles would be able to stand toe to toe with shielded capitals.

Honestly given how specific your desires are I feel like you're better off just trying to make a mod yourself by this point.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know very little compares to an angry Legion unleashing hell, but how is the Mora as a Cruiser sized combat carrier?

Are there any good mod ships that are combat carriers that are grossly expensive in DP?

Give me more Battlestars.

You definitely want Diable Avionics, Dassault-Mikoyan, ScalarTech and Interstellar Imperium. They will give you all the Carrier™ you could ever need.

Also yes, if you want burn 20, it's time to embrace that tugboat life. Diable even has pre-militarized tugs with salvage gantries and you can fit insulation + overhaul on them with no problem. :getin:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Goddamnit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

TTS Ideas Guy is in danger of suffering critical malfunctions

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Arghy posted:

The NPCs will trigger then and they'll pretty much all die off eventually.

I highly suggest everyone get the object analysis mod because it will loving save you so much time. So many times i've either jumped into a system then left or wasted time trying to do a search pattern but now i know whats in a system so i can just safely ignore it or begin to search knowing there's something worth searching for.

what's it called? search for object analysis on the mods forum pops up nothing

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20331.0

this it?

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
So question, what does the Polarized Armour skill do? I just don't quite understand it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

looks like

plurals, a plague upon searches

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stopgap1 posted:

So question, what does the Polarized Armour skill do? I just don't quite understand it.

do you have the description to hand? if it's "increases your armour for the purposes of damage calc" then it can be summed up as You Take Less Damage From Small Hits, but i haven't actually played the latest release yet so dunno if it's changed or new or something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't remember the specifics either but isn't it more damage reduction from armor and EMP protection + vent speed if elite

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

stopgap1 posted:

So a skill in parts:
Maximum damage reduction by armor increased from 85% to 90%
The beefiest part of the skill. So under the damage formula - Damage multiplier = weapon damage/(armor + weapon damage) - if a weapon will do under Armor*0.15 final damage to the ship it'll be increased to that minimum. This changes that formula to Armor*0.1 minimum damage. It makes small, frequent hits hurt far less.

Up to +50% armor for damage reduction calculation only, based on current hard flux level
Damage multiplier = weapon damage/(armor + weapon damage) - This skill specifically affects the bolded part - 0% bonus at 0% flux, 50% bonus at 100% flux, 25% at 50, etc. This doesn't affect the overall armor of the ship which is used for the cell that control how much armor the ship has left in spots after hits. It's still a big buff.

EMP damage taken reduced by up to 50%, based on current hard flux level
The easiest part to calculate as it's simply 0% damage reduction at 0% flux and 50% damage reduction at 100% flux. 25% DR at 50% flux, etc.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Polarized Armor does three things:
1) Increases max damage reduction of armor from 85% to 90% This means that a 100 damage hit against armor that's tough enough will be reduced down to 10 damage instead of 15. This significantly helps armor brick ships as after a certain point that extra armor loses some of its usefulness against lighter hits (outside of just being more armor to chew through). Hits that didn't hit that 85% cap in the first place will be unaffected... UNTIL
2) Increases the effective armor by up to 50% for calculations, depending on ship flux. More flux = more bonus armor for damage reductions. This means that that 90% cap could potentially include heavier hits as well, which can be quite significant.
3) Increases EMP resistance by up to 50% depending on ship flux (EMP stuff is arcane and I don't fully understand it, but EMP is also the bane of armor tanking, so this helps reduce that)

Against lighter hits #1 applies more. Won't matter too terribly much against a 10 damage hit (I think the game does do decimals?), but against a 50 point hit that's only 5 damage instead of 7.5 getting through. 500 point energy hit? Your armor would only take 50 instead of 75. This *also* applies to the residual 5% armor protection even after the armor is stripped, which really helps with those small but rapid hits.

Against heavier hits #2 applies more, especially at high flux. This really helps when it comes to 'finishers' as that's probably when the ship's flux is pushing that 80% or more. If you've got over 2k armor that means you can actually eat a Reaper and not be utterly crippled, though it's still going to hurt like hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's complicated but basically "if your ship has, and uses, lots of armour, take the skill and it will help a lot"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It works pretty nicely with the other skill that has the elite ability of reducing the severity of a big hit every few seconds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In general the way to make a ship good is to stack some sort of attribute, something it's already good at. So if you have a good armour ship you should put the armour/survivability skills on it and also the hullmods

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

In general the way to make a ship good is to stack some sort of attribute, something it's already good at. So if you have a good armour ship you should put the armour/survivability skills on it and also the hullmods

Basically. Gryphons you just stack missile ammo and reload speed and just watch them poo poo out hundreds of missiles.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I understand why the map size is the same for every system but it just makes me mad seeing this giant seemingly empty map and now knowing that they will hide poo poo in the emptiness. I jumped into a no planet system like i've done now 10s of times and did a pulse around the star didn't see anything. I remembered i had that mod so i took a look and sure enough 2 derelict ships in the system probably near unspawned stable points but you'd never loving know unless you tried to use the lovely neutrino scanner in every system.

I used the neutrino scanner to find the ships but otherwise you'd never know and just waste time and volatiles.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I wish it was a little less annoying to use.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Console commands

Reveal.

Enjoy 2 million sensor range. Don't interdiction pulse, it lags like a motherfucker.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Note that reveal is still limited by a line in the settings file that limits how far you can actually detect things.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Neutrino detector is basically never worth the hassle yeah

note to Alex if he's reading: that doesn't mean it'd be better to move more poo poo to the middle of nowhere a billion miles off the map

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brandfarlig posted:

Console commands

Reveal.

Enjoy 2 million sensor range. Don't interdiction pulse, it lags like a motherfucker.

this is what I do when I buy blueprint locations and can't find it etc

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I would use the neutrino detector if 1. it didn't require the skill and 2. if I could just get the game to keep a stockpile of volatiles.

Or frankly I don't know that the volatiles are necessary? You already spend supplies trying to use the thing, seems weird to have a second resource just for that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Would anyone be able to post a mod guide for Nexelrin to slow down invasions and diplomatic events by, like, half? Once you have a bunch of faction mods the information is overwhelming

hmm
fresh install, fresh mods. getrting a crash on loading in: "org.json.JSONException: JSONObject["enableAutosaves"] is not a Boolean."
any ideas how to fix it?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 16, 2022

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

There is a mod for the neutrino that removes the false positives.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's actually pretty easy, go to your starsector mods folder, nexelerin, then excelerin_config. Crank "pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet" up. I usually just double it on a fresh install, or leave it be but turn "invasionGracePeriod" up to a much higher number.

If the pace itself is fine for you setting "diplomacyEventFilterLevel" to 1 will get rid of pop-ups for all factions that aren't you or your commissioner

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is also a setting that controls invasion fleet size you can reduce to make them a bit less likely to succeed.

I tweaked both and it prevented the Hegemony from snowballing badly. Worlds still change hands occasionally, but its not too bad.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

i will have to check that file, presumably I can tweak Vengeance fleets there too?

Got a Great House Legion and really liking it btw

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sandweed posted:

There is a mod for the neutrino that removes the false positives.

The false positives aren't really a big deal, if you move around a bit and the signal doesn't change direction it's a fake. It's that there's almost never actually anything to pick up that you wouldn't find faster just going to every destination on the map and doing a sensor burst, with a single hardcoded exception since the campaign updates. unless the thought of leaving even one ship un-scavenged tortures you you're better off pretending the detector doesn't exist

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I like the mechanics of the detector, it's just that what it shows you isn't worth the faff of keeping volatiles and picking the skill. I would use it if i had it and the volatiles on hand but I almost never do.