Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
remember that we once pooped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

super sweet best pal posted:

The lentil soup recipe in the cookbook is good. Definitely take the books advice about garnishing it with croutons though. Saltines are fine too.

Hell yeah I made this last night, it turned out great. Going to make the Cawl Cennin next.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Re: P3S adds, it is a fairly tight check but definitely doable with pentamelded gear. The main hangup really does seem to be people stopping DPS while positioning tethers. Don't worry, you have plenty of time to get into place, so keep taking swings at whichever bird happens to be closed to you at that point. Doesn't matter which it is, all damage helps during that part. If it's still uncomfortably tight, don't be afraid to blow some of the cooldowns you were probably saving for when the boss becomes targetable again (which just happens to coincide with potion 2 and a full party burst phase). Don't throw EVERYTHING at the adds unless somebody died, but missing out on a few oGCDs from your optimal burst on the boss to make sure you don't wipe to adds is worth it.

Also re P3S, my retro static has already imploded so I guess I'll be pugging the rest of the fight. :v:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Onean posted:

That's not the problem (obviously). The problem is the actual bad strats that ignore fight mechanics to make the fight way more complicated just so people can sit and farm adds for parse numbers. Stuff like the EX2 parse strats where you do the actively wrong thing just to get a small percentage boost (if that).

thats still terrible. That add phase doesn't even work the same, for one. The EX2 adds are mostly killed by the crystal feedbacks and such and you prolly only like what, 5%? of their bar in honest damage. You have to actually kill the 3s adds by hand. The closest to padding is people sandbagging for 1 player to cleave a little more and going out of the way to remove it from logs is an awful decision.

Even if people are going to pad more in later weeks, something that would mostly be gained from lenience...fine? That'd mostly impact pink and golds anyways, which is already pretty fine tuned to fights to achieve and this is just something to tune around. For assessing groups? Kill Speed is already the best metric there, and even how group parses have been ranked for god knows how long, and I would bet that LB adds is the faster kill method anyways. It's just nonsense, people getting scared of the mere possibility of some padding and making GBS threads themselves in raw terror

say hi to your sage for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'wipe' is right

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

There are moments where "I disconnected" is a fine lie to tell.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A real gamer would just power through it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Perhaps they were having a hard time with the "farm" and figured this would be less embarrassing to admit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah I gotta poop

Peace
Out
Of
Party

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

From the deepest pit of the gut, to the very pinnacle of the rectum, this rear end shall tremble! UNLEASH SHARTIMA!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Augus posted:

SUCH DEVASTATION
THIS WAS NOT MY INTENTION

SUCH DEFECATION

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WOW that was a long final quest. Really awesome msq and a great ending to the entire saga up until this point

I thiiiiink I might prefer shb msq though? Both are great but something about shb hit so hard. This one is also a great continuation of it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

all parsing is bullshit and fake imo. no matter what rules you put in place for what counts/doesn't, you're kinda damned either way. if you count adds, it encourages people to do dumb and risky strats, possibly causing wipes because everyone wants to pad in the middle, then suddenly all adds die on top of each other. if you don't count adds, it encourages people to sandbag and hold everything so they can do damage on targets that "matter", meaning you inch closer and closer to enrage every time. no matter what you pick, people will find a way to game it.

fflogs has been a great tool to help me improve at the game but i hate the front page chasing it enables. as a tank, let me tell you about how adps is the real metric, not this silly rdps which encourages selfish play, grumble grumble

it's just something that, going into EW, i'm super done with. hell i'm probably retiring from savage after this tier. upcoming ultimate undecided. i'm doing what it reasonably takes to clear the tier. i ate the intemperance tank damage down for week 1 prog until people came up with better strats. i just don't care about these dumb numbers anymore lmao.

edit: crit rates and kill times aaaaaaaaaaa

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 15, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Sir this is the Last Stand drive through.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

one archon burger, please

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Stop this foolishness. You can't mount in Old Sharlayan

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They must've made the lentils too.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

super sweet best pal posted:

They must've made the lentils too.

It's clearly the archon loaf

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

Stop this foolishness. You can't mount in Old Sharlayan

YOU can't...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Detheros posted:

It's clearly the archon loaf

This reminds me I should continue the Culinarian studium quest...

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Going through the MSQ as Red Mage and I've gotta laugh at the Shadowbringers role quest line that replaced job quests.

RDM job questline: You and the primary quest dude rescue a young, short-haired blonde girl who has lost her memory. After spending some time taking care of her and trying to unravel her past, it becomes apparent that she is actually a powerful wizard! But she's also kind of a weenie with no confidence. You and Questline Man train her in the art of magical combat so that she can hold her own. As part of her training she receives a frilly outfit with thigh-high boots.

Magic DPS role questline: You and the primary quest dude rescue a young, short-haired blonde boy who has lost his memory. After spending some time taking care of him and trying to unravel his past, it becomes apparent that he is actually a powerful wizard! But he's also kind of a weenie with no confidence. You and Questline Man train him in the art of magical combat so that he can hold his own. As part of his training he receives a frilly outfit with thigh-high boots.

I'm expecting Endwalker to have the same thing with a new nonbinary child.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Stay calm, everyone! The Eorzean Civilian Rescue Corps. has arrived.

The only way we're getting through this catastrophe is TOGETHER! To that end, I need everyone who is able, to post their BEST SAGE GLAMOURS in this thread! Everyone else... pray.

*wark*

(Sage has finally clicked with me and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Though I am still having trouble when panic-healing the team back to their feet after we eat a bunch of avoidable mechanics.)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

all parsing is bullshit and fake imo. no matter what rules you put in place for what counts/doesn't, you're kinda damned either way. if you count adds, it encourages people to do dumb and risky strats, possibly causing wipes because everyone wants to pad in the middle, then suddenly all adds die on top of each other. if you don't count adds, it encourages people to sandbag and hold everything so they can do damage on targets that "matter", meaning you inch closer and closer to enrage every time. no matter what you pick, people will find a way to game it.

fflogs has been a great tool to help me improve at the game but i hate the front page chasing it enables. as a tank, let me tell you about how adps is the real metric, not this silly rdps which encourages selfish play, grumble grumble

it's just something that, going into EW, i'm super done with. hell i'm probably retiring from savage after this tier. upcoming ultimate undecided. i'm doing what it reasonably takes to clear the tier. i ate the intemperance tank damage down for week 1 prog until people came up with better strats. i just don't care about these dumb numbers anymore lmao.

edit: crit rates and kill times aaaaaaaaaaa

I mean, going by this it's better to take a more lassez-faire response right. Trying to force these fights to be cleaned up doesnt end up working anyways, youre just adding rules that encourage a different kind of gaming the system so now youve altered the math and not solved anything. Better to just present As Is
i also prefer adps as a metric anyways, i think it's a better assessment of you as a player lining up your damage with buffs. Its not without flaws, it definitely encourages a more selfish style in general but I think it's more equitable to roles in general

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yea for the record i voted for "just leave it as is" because i'd rather just have damage be damage

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i vote for them not putting any more add phases into fights

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Crackerjack posted:

The only way we're getting through this catastrophe is TOGETHER! To that end, I need everyone who is able, to post their BEST SAGE GLAMOURS in this thread! Everyone else... pray.

*wark*

(Sage has finally clicked with me and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Though I am still having trouble when panic-healing the team back to their feet after we eat a bunch of avoidable mechanics.)

i know i've already posted these screenshots at least once in this thread but i'll post them again because i still love this glam. who knew the farlander hat of healing would go so well with the plague doctor set!!

https://twitter.com/qestiri/status/1472838876645494785?t=8zcJWkvZJnuxjJ6D92s-4g&s=19

also featuring the prophet's armwraps; they're hardly visible from under the plague doctor coat's cuffs, but it's one of my favorite hand pieces in the game and i like the subtle bit of flair they add here!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I like the harder content and I'm excited to start doing the stuff with Endwalker but I've made it clear to my friends that unless someone has polite and succinct advice for how I can get my numbers up, don't talk to me about them, and especially if you're gonna be a pissbaby about it. This poo poo's supposed to be fun, you know? If I wanted to get yelled at by somebody that cared a little too much about numbers, I'd go to work.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Crackerjack posted:

*wark*

The l'il commissar is here to keep the tank alive through judicious application of the immortal science:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ferrinus posted:

The l'il commissar is here to keep the tank alive through judicious application of the immortal science:

OK I must know more about this.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

OK I must know more about this.

Lv83 dungeon drops the cool cold-weather military coats the Garlean holdouts wear

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, that's just the hat and coat from the 83 dungeon plus the /atease emote you get from doing command squadron stuff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

Lv83 dungeon drops the cool cold-weather military coats the Garlean holdouts wear

Tanks get a bathrobe!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Having a poetry reading character named (fifth zone)Sappho and have her chilling with some dude seems like a huge missed moment.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
New monk meta just dropped:

(Hero's Gauntlet, level 80)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

seiferguy posted:

(Hero's Gauntlet, level 80)

they just got that button and by god they're going to use it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

... Ushankas really don't make any sense with pointy ears....

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, when would you actually use Six-Sided Star? Is it meant to be a thing where you time it just right to use it before a boss goes invulnerable or out of reach or something?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Crackerjack posted:

*wark*

<blip> COMBAT UNIT OMEGA WAS GIFTED WITH NOULITHS. <beep> THIS WILL ALLOW DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF MORTAL COMBAT TECHNIQUES. <bleep> ADDITIONALLY THEY CAN FIRE LASERS ON LARBOARD OR STARBOARD PER PROTOCOL.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Crackerjack posted:

*wark*

It's not my preferred healer, but I felt the need to make a glamour anyway. Nothing fancy or special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, when would you actually use Six-Sided Star? Is it meant to be a thing where you time it just right to use it before a boss goes invulnerable or out of reach or something?

both of these are valid. i use it a few times in 83 EX, for example, for both of those

it’s a way to eke out more damage before the boss becomes untargetable (before meteors). i only have time to hit the boss one more time before he goes away — might as well pick the move that does more damage

it’s also a way to disengage from the boss. like if the front row is unsafe, i could SSS at the last second, run away with my speed buff, and run back before the gcd finishes rolling

it’s still pretty niche because ideally you’re never disengaging at all, but yea. those are the use cases.

you also pad your parse by using it as the final hit on the boss before it dies