Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine most voters even watch the debates.

Why would they? Most voters know who they intend to vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HootTheOwl posted:

He did not and Hillary's polls went up after each one, with the biggest bump coming after the first one. Her numbers would plateau or be declining going into each of them.
I feel like this could also be interpreted as Hillary winning the "watches the debates live" audience, with Trump catching up and overtaking her as soundbites trickle down to the general voting public.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine most voters even watch the debates.

only the most deranged do

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like this could also be interpreted as Hillary winning the "watches the debates live" audience, with Trump catching up and overtaking her as soundbites trickle down to the general voting public.

While this is probably correct the thing to remember is that these are the same polls that told us Hillary was 98% certain to win. Why would anyone in 2022 talk about what the polls showed to support an argument about 2016? We know in hindsight that they were wrong.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LastInLine posted:

While this is probably correct the thing to remember is that these are the same polls that told us Hillary was 98% certain to win. Why would anyone in 2022 talk about what the polls showed to support an argument about 2016? We know in hindsight that they were wrong.
I mean, there is also the votes vs. states issue. It's entirely possible for Hillary to have won every debate in terms of voters, and even some of them in terms of states initially, while still being a big loser on election day.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

LastInLine posted:

I always wondered if they were naively "wrong" or if there was something more sinister going on.

For one, there is the relatively well known phenomenon that most people who still are on the fence and are about to cast their vote - seeing this will want to cast their vote for the winner, in order to avoid "wasting" their vote.... so this could have very well been an attempt to create a narrative and thus electoral momentum for Pillory

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, there is also the votes vs. states issue. It's entirely possible for Hillary to have won every debate in terms of voters, and even some of them in terms of states initially, while still being a big loser on election day.

We all know the rules of the game

VomitOnLino posted:

I always wondered if they were naively "wrong" or if there was something more sinister going on.

For one, there is the relatively well known phenomenon that most people who still are on the fence and are about to cast their vote - seeing this will want to cast their vote for the winner, in order to avoid "wasting" their vote.... so this could have very well been an attempt to create a narrative and thus electoral momentum for Pillory

I believe this 100% absolutely no doubt whatsoever

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I am not sure that's true.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

B.F. Pinkerton posted:

the demographic obsession is what weirds me out about a lot of liberals. i grew up in south texas and was surrounded by mexicanos and tejanos for most of my life but I don't give a poo poo; there were still racists and dumbasses, they were just a different shade than the usual racists and dumbasses. also even if minorities make up a majority of americans in the near future that isn't going to prevent the system from just... acting to preserve the power of a white minority. you can't pretend that minorities are a hivemind and then bank on them fixing all of the issues with your country

I once got into an argument with a dude in my college Dems group that the area where I come from (Victorville, CA) is pretty conservative. State and federal reps were Republicans. He was surprised because Latinos make up 40% of our population.

He did, of course, blame lack of education for Latinos not behaving.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LastInLine posted:

^ Literally the only thing anyone remembers from those debates

Hrmmmm it's almost as if debates don't matter and winning them also didn't matter beyond the next news event because the people who are swayed by debates are swayed by any shiny object!

But memes? Memes are forever.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Why would they? Most voters know who they intend to vote for.

also the actual content sucks rear end. the moderators do nothing, all the questions are some softball bullshit and most of the time the candidates just ignore the actual question and recite some talking points

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
harris went into them specifically to sell merch and sort of succeeded. that's better than she's managed at most other tasks.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

HootTheOwl posted:

Hrmmmm it's almost as if debates don't matter and winning them also didn't matter beyond the next news event because the people who are swayed by debates are swayed by any shiny object!

But memes? Memes are forever.

no one wins debates.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Anyone who thinks Hillary "won" those debates bought and still buys the media narrative that she was just the best ever and should be checked for residual brainworms.

Link's to the stage show reproduction of the debates where they flipped the genders of Trump and Hillary to "prove" he won due to misogamy. Turns out Trump would win even harder as a woman.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

I believe this 100% absolutely no doubt whatsoever

It very obviously didn't work, though.

Griz posted:

also the actual content sucks rear end. the moderators do nothing, all the questions are some softball bullshit and most of the time the candidates just ignore the actual question and recite some talking points

It's also not like campaign promises or policies reflect how any presidential administration is actually going to govern.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1482087905820618759

The more stories I see like this, the more I think the Democrats are doomed in November. The "Everything's fine, back to normal" viewpoint doesn't work when people are constantly seeing signs of collapse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

The more stories I see like this, the more I think the Democrats are doomed in November. The "Everything's fine, back to normal" viewpoint doesn't work when people are constantly seeing signs of collapse.
Millions of voters in England hate Labour to this day because no one came to pick up the bins for like a week in the '70s.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Millions of voters in England hate Labour to this day because no one came to pick up the bins for like a week in the '70s.
What will be the US equivalent of "remember when the bin man was hard"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trump literally did more to mitigate the spread, and his administration started off wanting to pursue "herd immunity." Deadenders will always be deadenders, but people with misgivings or who are fence sitters aren't going to take much more of this. The suburban voters that Democrats have an uncontrollable perverted lust for are going to remember life being better under Trump.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump literally did more to mitigate the spread, and his administration started off wanting to pursue "herd immunity." Deadenders will always be deadenders, but people with misgivings or who are fence sitters aren't going to take much more of this. The suburban voters that Democrats have an uncontrollable perverted lust for are going to remember life being better under Trump.

In what way did he do more to mitigate the spread? Are there any actual policies he pursued?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, we had more of a lockdown under Trump than we did with Biden

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I mean, we had more of a lockdown under Trump than we did with Biden

But those were down to state policies, Trump didn't order any lockdowns

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Trump theorized about internal UV light therapies, Biden tells me to Google vaccine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

In what way did he do more to mitigate the spread? Are there any actual policies he pursued?

No.

Trump doing nothing or trying to downplay the virus only fueled public skepticism and encouraged people to self-isolate. The Biden admin on the other hand did a broad front offensive on getting people to think the worst was behind us and everything can go back to normal - just in time for the most virulent strain of the virus to come to America.

I mean look at this poo poo:

these are objective measurements of Biden doing worse than Trump ever did

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Jan 15, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Job for the National Guard?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No.

Trump doing nothing or trying to downplay the virus only fueled public skepticism and encouraging people to self-isolate. The Biden admin on the other hand did a broad front offensive on getting people to think the worst was behind us and everything can go back to normal - just in time for the most virulent strain of the virus to come to America.

I mean look at this poo poo:

these are objective measurements of Biden doing worse than Trump ever did
I feel it would be more accurate to say that Biden did more to increase spread, rather than Trump did more to mitigate it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Trump railed against institutional authority and sowed distrust and skepticism. Biden weaponized science and institutions to make people feel permitted to throw away their masks and act immune, and to trust authorities that are putting out dangerous misinformation in the pursuit of short term profiteering. Trump sent out trump bucks. Biden still owes me money. I give Trump a 25/100, and Biden a 0

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Jan 15, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bi crimes posted:

Trump railed against institutional authority and sowed distrust and skepticism. Biden weaponized science and institutions to make people feel permitted to throw away their masks and act immune, and to trust authorities that are putting out dangerous misinformation in the pursuit of short term profiteering. Trump sent out trump bucks. Biden still owes me money. I give Trump a 25/100, and Biden a 0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PeterCat posted:

Job for the National Guard?

you need trained sanitation workers or like garbage trucks explode trying to compact a propane tank or the whole waste facility goes up in flames cause they chucked a bunch of hosed up batteries in with everything

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Real hurthling! posted:

you need trained sanitation workers or like garbage trucks explode trying to compact a propane tank or the whole waste facility goes up in flames cause they chucked a bunch of hosed up batteries in with everything

So yes, the National Guard then.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

But those were down to state policies, Trump didn't order any lockdowns

he was president nerd

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bi crimes posted:

yup. i want my fuckin money

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I talked a lot about the pending legitimacy crisis back during the Floyd riots (specifically, see that time the mayor of NYC politely asked the NYPD to please not trample people to death with their horses and in response the NYPD kidnapped his daughter) but man, I'm honestly a little shocked at how completely useless every institution and every government agency has become in this country. I shouldn't be shocked, but I am.

Does the government do anything anymore aside from feed tax money to arms manufacturers and kill people of color?

Edit: I just realized I'm literally a civil servant and I'm not sure if the government does anything. I know my job primarily consists of seeing court cases get rescheduled over and over forever

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

blue states tried to fight Covid harder to spite Trump and then promptly stopped when Befuddled Boy Blue got in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

liberalism is premised on a kind of legalistic egalitarianism that precludes the existence of "class." to them the only distinction between rich & poor is their ability to consume, and political & social relations are tertiary concerns. so if your ideology doesn't see class, then race is the only possible faultline. There's an assumption that racial identity forms political identity because that's been America's relationship to blackness - but other people do not engage with American society the same way. They have their own ideas about race and politics.

Yes, but their outlook is one where they win either way. Either the minorities vote Dem and they can feel pride in being allies, or they don't vote Dem and they can finally have the sweet release of saying all the insanely racist poo poo they feel deep down.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Fame Douglas posted:

It's also not like campaign promises or policies reflect how any presidential administration is actually going to govern.

Check the website!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

DoubleDonut posted:

I talked a lot about the pending legitimacy crisis back during the Floyd riots (specifically, see that time the mayor of NYC politely asked the NYPD to please not trample people to death with their horses and in response the NYPD kidnapped his daughter) but man, I'm honestly a little shocked at how completely useless every institution and every government agency has become in this country. I shouldn't be shocked, but I am.

Does the government do anything anymore aside from feed tax money to arms manufacturers and kill people of color?

Edit: I just realized I'm literally a civil servant and I'm not sure if the government does anything. I know my job primarily consists of seeing court cases get rescheduled over and over forever

Covid revealed America only has financial power and no government left lol

We’re good at subsidizing rich failsons and bombing third world countries. That’s it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You're all wrong, the actual winner was Admiral Stockdale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

MLSM posted:

Covid revealed America only has financial power and no government left lol

We’re good at subsidizing rich failsons and bombing third world countries. That’s it

We aren't even good at the bombing anymore either, see Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, et al