Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tonga has deployed the Tsar Bomba….that or someone pissed off Haku.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The gods have angered this man.

Pray they do not anger him further.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone's gonna have to volunteer to please that man

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

my face after a night of beer and pizza

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The gods have angered this man.

Pray they do not anger him further.

Ahem.

https://youtu.be/DaHLgerU5o8

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haku has to pass on his crown at some point. Olympic flag bearing man is a worthy successor in terms of media exposure. Who doesn't remember that from Rio?

When I saw Tonga in my newsfeed this morning, dude was the first thing I remembered about the place.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

That's a big earth zit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The ending to The Expanse show was really confusing. Are we really not getting another season or a movie or something? They spent all that time building up the Laconia plot towards the very end.

I've got the book to read so I'm glad people are saying it wraps things up well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Haku has to pass on his crown at some point. Olympic flag bearing man is a worthy successor in terms of media exposure. Who doesn't remember that from Rio?

When I saw Tonga in my newsfeed this morning, dude was the first thing I remembered about the place.

But can he rip a guys eye out with his hand in a bar fight?

Yes, he’s from Tonga, and much like Samoa, you don’t mess with guys from the Pacific Islands, so far point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The current king of Tonga’s dad personally lead an expedition to reclaim the Minvera Reefs from a bunch of libertarians.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Not really spoiling anything if you want to read the books, it would be VERY hard to continue the series: there is a 30 year time jump between this book and the next

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

The current king’s dad personally lead an expedition to reclaim the Minvera Reefs from a bunch of libertarians.

I don’t like Royalty…but King Toga ruled.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Carteret posted:

Not really spoiling anything if you want to read the books, it would be VERY hard to continue the series: there is a 30 year time jump between this book and the next

I figured that was a place where the show could diverge further from the books and roll into another season but I guess not.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

It really is shocking to me that the mafia hasn't tried to expand more into legitimate businesses over the years. I know the cartels have diversified into very strange or at least atypical avenues
I know zilch on the subject, but it was my vague understanding that they absolutely had done so? A combination of realizing they can make real money with their front companies for a fraction of the risk plus a serious and effective effort by the FBI to root out the worst actors ended up pushing a lot of mafiosos to either get out of the game or keep a much lower profile. Tons of drug trafficking still, just not the kind of stuff that attracts a lot of public attention.

Now they make their millions like proper American capitalists, on the backs of the working class and through stock market bullshit :patriot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know of at least one Italian luxury manufacturer who fell on hard times and was offered a cash infusion by some Sicilian gentlemen.

I am sworn to secrecy as to the details, but it happens. This guy turned them down, no hard feelings.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bird food bathtub posted:

loving reality just making the wildest fiction look dumb. Nobody who wrote cyberpunk said "and the first armed contender in the corporate wars was a package delivery company." Nobody would believe that in a novel it's supposed to be some shadowy international mercenaries-for-hire group or a defense R&D company.

William Gibson posted:

Cyberspace, as described in Neuromancer, is nothing at all like the Internet that we live with, which consists mostly of utterly banal and silly stuff.

much like my posting

I do feel like Snow Crash was the most accurate portrayal though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Thwomp posted:

The sound of the eruption captured from Fiji, more than 500 miles away.

I can’t really process something so loud and violent that if it happened in NYC, I could hear it like that in Toledo, OH. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/portiajessene/status/1482331548330659841?s=20

Awfully suspicious that this person was ready with their camera rolling right when it exploded. With all the Russia-Ukrainian false flag op talk going around.. I’d be very skeptical about this being naturally occurring.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

piL posted:

much like my posting

Oh god that book is so cringe in 2022. Listen to the audiobook sometime, it’ll make you physically uncomfortable. Particularly the statutory rape and poo poo. But yeah, it is by far the most spot on accurate portrayal.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

Awfully suspicious that this person was ready with their camera rolling right when it exploded. With all the Russia-Ukrainian false flag op talk going around.. I’d be very skeptical about this being naturally occurring.

😂

No. :lol: just loving no.

😂

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

loving reality just making the wildest fiction look dumb. Nobody who wrote cyberpunk said "and the first armed contender in the corporate wars was a package delivery company." Nobody would believe that in a novel it's supposed to be some shadowy international mercenaries-for-hire group or a defense R&D company.

piL posted:

:hmmyes:

SnowCrash was parody of Neuromancer but ended up with the ludicrous plot of an armed delivery driver losing his job because he was late because his boss was GPS tracking the company delivery vehicle through corporate housing slums. It sounds completely plausible now, gently caress...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I went to high school in CA with an unusually high percentage of islanders from Tonga and Samoa. In fact our varsity defensive line was heavier than the NFL average. In peace the kindest most friendliest cultures. We even tried to take our honeymoon in American Samoa but it’s simply to far and too much money. I hope that because American Samoa exists that the area will get the relief they may need in the coming months.

Just don’t pick a fight with one. Even if you think you may have a chance they always have a brother, cousin or uncle who’s just a little bit bigger.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crab Dad posted:

I went to high school in CA with an unusually high percentage of islanders from Tonga and Samoa. In fact our varsity defensive line was heavier than the NFL average. In peace the kindest most friendliest cultures. We even tried to take our honeymoon in American Samoa but it’s simply to far and too much money. I hope that because American Samoa exists that the area will get the relief they may need in the coming months.

Just don’t pick a fight with one. Even if you think you may have a chance they always have a brother, cousin or uncle who’s just a little bit bigger.

I played rugby in college and a lot of Samoans learn rugby before american football / are pretty big into it. A couple of guys in our club were previously there at the school to play football and either ran out of eligibility or got cut due to grades or whatever. I was in really good shape in college, like 6ft 220 <10% body fat kinda deal and was very fast for an amateur. Then the 2 samoans joined mid-season and both were like 6'4" 240 and could run a 4.6 forty yard and bench like 375 and poo poo, just absolute beasts, both were linebackers at our DI school. It was loving brutal going up against those guys in tackling drills. Outside of practice they were fun as poo poo to hang out with, would literally do anything to help anyone. Going out to bars though... poo poo. Those dudes just loved to get drunk and fight, just sucker punch a dude and be smiling about it. We got in so much loving trouble because of those two but drat it was a lot of fun too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously the stories I’ve heard of pacific islanders who were professional wrestlers and people tried to be racist assholes to them or test them at the bar, oh boy talk about mistakes in ones life choices. Very large mistakes indeed.

Conversely also wonderful people with a strong sense of family.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I figured that was a place where the show could diverge further from the books and roll into another season but I guess not.

Probably

Clarissa having 5 years to live according to the Autodoc in the show makes me think they'll pick up season 7 about 5 years after the end of season 6. While not the 30 year gap between the two, it makes sense from a story telling point.
Laconia did build up their military strength in the 30 years between book 6 and 7 and the colonies were able to build up, but from a narrative perspective I don't think anything is lost from having the time gap reduced.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
We made our post rugby practice bar the one across from the strip club in Reno that was frequented by all the biker gangs, Hells Angels and whoever else with swastikas and white power tats. I was always the smallest one since I was just a 200 lb white boy so everyone would gently caress with me over the islanders but that was only the first night we were there cause the team captain put someone down with one punch.

Everyone wanted to talk racist poo poo at matches but not within hearing of them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

The ending to The Expanse show was really confusing. Are we really not getting another season or a movie or something? They spent all that time building up the Laconia plot towards the very end.

I've got the book to read so I'm glad people are saying it wraps things up well.

On top of what has already been said - The Expanse is a VERY expensive show to produce and we're lucky we got a 6th season as it stood. SyFy couldn't justify continuing past season 3, as most viewers *bought* the show versus watching on SyFy through cable. That was the justification for Amazon to pick up 4/5 (plus Bezos liked the show). Negotiations for Season 6 were the friendly-but-rocky type - Alcon/Expanse folks quoted a super-high price to make a normal season, Amazon was like ehhhhhh, then everyone eventually agreed that 6 episodes was the BARE minimum they could do to wrap up the story (plus a few vingnettes).

That said, the showrunners/writers have been very clear that they don't want another Save The Expanse effort or Amazon Studios getting badgered about it. That has essentially put the series into hiatus rather than completely over, but the actors involved have already been released to do other projects and stuff and books 7-9 might be a bit... hard to put on screen :v:

Edit: oh and two days ago, the less-talkative writer even mentioned that "discussions are ongoing about other stuff we can't talk about yet" and randomly there's going to be a Telltale prequel game about Drummer, starring Cara Gee. So this all feels dramatically different than the SyFy cancellation.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 15, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Krakatoa eruption was heard 3,000 miles away and sent pressure waves that went around the entire world several times, and people knew about it back in 1883. It’s entirely reasonable that people would know when the sound would hit and be outside to film it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Blind Rasputin posted:

Even Russia isn't stupid enough to take on a bunch of angry Tongans

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Holy loving lol

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1482027800496377858?t=WEOfJe0Xf1acDEBWpSJAmA&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
For any country with any industry at all those probably shouldn't be too difficult to make right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Seriously the stories I’ve heard of pacific islanders who were professional wrestlers and people tried to be racist assholes to them or test them at the bar, oh boy talk about mistakes in ones life choices. Very large mistakes indeed.

Conversely also wonderful people with a strong sense of family.

Probably 2/3 of my fun college stories start in our local bar in the woods in Northern Louisiana surrounded by a bunch of rednecks and one of them gives a dirty look or says something to a Samoan roughly 25% bigger than him. The second act is also always the same, a Samoan smiling laughing yelling and usually one shotting a redneck into the floor. I really hated living there but those guys made it a lot of fun and I will always love them for that and miss them still.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just finished The Expanse season 2. It's growing on me and I mostly like the show but Holden is still one of the most annoying characters I've ever watched in a show. More people need to punch him in the face, and keep on punching him until he shuts the gently caress up. How is this guy the leader???

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

IDGI

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
When we were in Iraq, the IRGC gave Shiite militias those copper things which are EFPs or Explosively Formed Penetrators, which essentially negate almost any kind of armor protection that most vehicles have by turning the copper into a white hot plasma that penetrates the armor and kills the people inside. You put the explosive behind the EFP and boom, the copper does the rest. That's my non EOD dumbed down understanding of it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/soleimanis-legacy-the-gruesome-high-tech-ieds-that-haunted-u-s-troops-in-iraq/

quote:

The weapons, compact but potent, are deployed against armored vehicles in a way similar to traditional IEDs but are much deadlier and more effective, Castner said. But they are also more complex and difficult to produce.

Shaped like a coffee can but a little smaller, with a slightly concave end, the device is packed with plastic explosives that turn a copper plate into molten slugs that barrel through several inches of armor, sending elongated shards tumbling through bodies and vehicles, and producing entry and exit holes similar to gunshots.

“They were really bad,” Castner said, and by far the most-dreaded explosive device he encountered because of their deadly efficiency.

EFPs killed at least 196 U.S. troops and wounded nearly 900 between 2005 and 2011, defense officials revealed in 2015, and Castner said a high number of amputations throughout the war were the direct result of the weapons. In the 2006 attack, slugs took both legs off a soldier and one from a gunner, he wrote in his memoir, “The Long Walk.”

The copper slugs, which form into a tadpole shape, can reach Mach 6, or 2,000 meters per second, The Post previously reported. By comparison, a .50-caliber round fired from a sniper rifle has a muzzle velocity of less than 900 meters a second.

Shaped charges have roots in World War II, but their variants, EFPs, were employed by Hezbollah as early as the 1990s against Israelis before migrating to Iraq in 2004, according to the U.S. Army’s history of the war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/01/03/soleimanis-legacy-gruesome-high-tech-ieds-that-haunted-us-troops-iraq/

Calibre Obscura is making a joke saying that there's probably going to be a lot of those being made by Ukraine for their guys to make IEDs that'll to go up against Russian armored vehicles.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 15, 2022

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator#Use_in_improvised_explosive_devices

Edit: gently caress, penetrated.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mustang posted:

I just finished The Expanse season 2. It's growing on me and I mostly like the show but Holden is still one of the most annoying characters I've ever watched in a show. More people need to punch him in the face, and keep on punching him until he shuts the gently caress up. How is this guy the leader???

the purpose of his character is to be punchable but also keep accidentally winding up in the right place to save the universe

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1482436739738316801

Ugggghhhh I hope this ends peacefully for the sake of everyone in there

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Well gently caress...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustang posted:

Just end your journey into the expanse here, because you’re not gonna be happier if you don’t. Though there are some Amos story arc only episodes later that are good. That’s it though, you’ll hate yourself for the rest IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let me guess, white male, 30s-40s, christian, probably baptist.

Guys, I'm starting to think religion is a huge part of the problem.