Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Now when Randy Orton slaps on a side headlock? Shivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ToxicIWCTweets/status/1482239712421359616

lmao, definitely an accurate stat, yep

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I don't even care if it is or isn't accurate, "expresses the mainstream audience" may actually happen. It's loving Brody King, he's a big boy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Internet marks are all unemployed and single, you heard it hear first folks

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/cristinaberkov1/status/1452688337353908229?s=21
The Tony Khan Cum Getter

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

When Marvel Studios bring in a new character from the comics they act like the character is a big deal even though most of the audience don't know who they are. Because the only way for them to be a big deal is to treat them like one.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

I'm also withholding judgement until I see whether or not Brody King can turn casual fans into female monarchs.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
A couple of good thread titles in there.

But when TK finally jizzes I'm sure he'll tweet about it.
"Dave Meltzer just made me CUM in my pants and in the afterglow I put together an awesome show for you. I also released Kenny Omega because his wrestling just isn't up to snuff. WATCH #AEWDynamite @AEWonTNT"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lamuella posted:

When Marvel Studios bring in a new character from the comics they act like the character is a big deal even though most of the audience don't know who they are. Because the only way for them to be a big deal is to treat them like one.

Movies would have been much better if Thanos jobbed out Captain Marvel in 20 seconds while The Watcher yelled, "Welcome to the big leagues, kid!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WWE wouldn't have gone more than two movies without breaking up the Avengers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Black Widow would have been a very short movie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Clint Barton gets repackaged as a Giant Man knockoff because Hawkeye didn't get over

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

well yeah, its what DC did

step one introduce superman

step two have batman try and kill superman

it might explain some of the issues in why their cinematic universe cant get a foot off the ground

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

tbf neither did Marvel :v:

(what do you mean they got back together after Civil War shut up)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's just weird when AEW bring in a big scary tattooed guy who does Lucha moves on the good guys and people go "I have no idea who this is!"

It's a big scary tattooed guy who does Lucha moves on the good guys. In what world is that not enough?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

It's just weird when AEW bring in a big scary tattooed guy who does Lucha moves on the good guys and people go "I have no idea who this is!"

It's a big scary tattooed guy who does Lucha moves on the good guys. In what world is that not enough?

The world where people have to handwring about what some hypothetical "casual fan" they imagine to have the intelligence of a beetle will think of the wrestling show they're watching instead of just watching it.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

if you arent getting the cm punk return pop then what good are you

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Rarity posted:

Black Widow would have been a very short movie

The film probably would have lost several hundred million less if they booked it as a Queens crown first round match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wack Blidow

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

Even if every wrestler that debuted in AEW got a pop at that level, they'd just handwave it away as "they're only entrance/theme song/gesture/etc. over, people don't really like them otherwise"

There is no mental gymnastic maneuver too great for someone with WWE brain to perform, to justify why anything WWE does is manna from heaven that we aren't worthy of receiving and why anything AEW does is a literal crime against humanity

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adam Cole *still* gets a reaction to that level (and the crowd even started doing things on their own that have caught on, like going "boom!" when he hits his finisher) and they still insist he isn't over and he is being misused.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Said it before but it's astounding how obsessed WWE Stans are with "casual fans" when like every other nerd fandom on the planet despises casuals to borderline psychotic degrees.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Adam Cole getting unscheduled pops must a be a mindfuck

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Even though Dumb Louis deleted his tweets, don't fear because even dumber Pete is there to pick it right back up.

https://twitter.com/Rosenbergradio/status/1482126137501392899

also, lmao at Pete having 350k followers and getting basically no interaction on his tweets.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Drakkel posted:

Said it before but it's astounding how obsessed WWE Stans are with "casual fans" when like every other nerd fandom on the planet despises casuals to borderline psychotic degrees.

Those imaginary people are just a bludgeon for them against The Other. They don't actually care about other people. The fed fandom is deeply ingrained as part their own personal identity and they see competition against the fed as a personal attack on themselves as individuals. It's pathetic.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Lamuella posted:

you don't remember civil war, where spider-man gets trapped in his own webs right after making his debut and ant-man shouts 'welcome to the big leagues, kid!'??

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

you guys throwing stones should look at the glass house the AEW thread here the night the Butcher and the Blade were introduced was

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

To be fair they slowly climbed out from under the ring and beat up Cody a little bit for no apparent reason, whereas Brody King appeared out of thin air and immediately wrecked some dudes to save his evil friend.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Drakkel posted:

It's cargo cult fandom, basically. The Attitude Era and Hulkamania/national expansion days were the biggest and most recent boom periods for wrestling in general and WWE in particular, with a lot of people who wouldn't normally watch wrestling becoming familiar with who Austin, Rock, Foley, Hogan etc. were by cultural osmosis.

Nowadays WWE's ratings are tanking and its pop culture cachet is basically non-existent. WWE Stans therefore believe that anything that attracts "casual viewers" is good, because it'll mean a return to the good old days when their preferred corporate brand was part of the pop culture lexicon. So anything that isn't solely aimed at their mythical "casual viewer" is a waste of time at best and detrimental to wrestling sports entertainment at worst.

What they fail to realize is that "casual viewers" are like "undecided voters" in this day and age: they don't exist.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think it has something to do with people identifying the activity with the brand and the business because UFC fans get like that too - they're always crowing about the evil stuff that the UFC does to screw over fighters as being "good for the sport" because it gets more casual eyes on things.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

To some degree the obsession over draws has stifled the ability for more niche promotions to exist in the same space. Promotions/wrestlers/gimmicks that make more money are treated as objectively better in a really weird way. I had an argument with someone the other day where I got called elitist and a gatekeeper for expressing the sentiment that I don't want AEW to change in a way that draws in more "casual" eyes if that means it gets worse to me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Pylons posted:

To some degree the obsession over draws has stifled the ability for more niche promotions to exist in the same space. Promotions/wrestlers/gimmicks that make more money are treated as objectively better in a really weird way. I had an argument with someone the other day where I got called elitist and a gatekeeper for expressing the sentiment that I don't want AEW to change in a way that draws in more "casual" eyes if that means it gets worse to me.

I mean that sentiment exists within Wrestling too. I remember that shoot interview where Al Snow said that anyone who talks about what the best match on a card is is a goddamn idiot because the best match on the card is the one that draws the most money, objectively.

Which was great because he did another one a while later where some wrote in and asked if that meant his entire career was objectively worthless

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zombie Lemur posted:

I'm also withholding judgement until I see whether or not Brody King can turn casual fans into female monarchs.

Asuka confirmed to AEW

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If somehow during 2022 all the ratings and revenue numbers between WWE and AEW flipped, these idiots would be like "money and ratings and the demo don't matter" and completely forget about these nebulous "casual fans".

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I mean that sentiment exists within Wrestling too. I remember that shoot interview where Al Snow said that anyone who talks about what the best match on a card is is a goddamn idiot because the best match on the card is the one that draws the most money, objectively.

Which was great because he did another one a while later where some wrote in and asked if that meant his entire career was objectively worthless

The question was "Al, you have been quoted as saying 'a good match is one that draws the most money.' By your very own logic, is it fair to say you haven't had a good match in your entire career?"

His response was "If I haven't drawn money then there's been a lot of stupid people who have employed me for the last 36 years", which doesn't exactly deny the claim about match quality.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Didn’t Al work for free for Vince? There was a story on a shoot video where he refused to job, and he was like “they can’t fire me, they can’t dock my pay, they don’t pay me!”. I wonder who the stupid one is

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

Internet marks are all unemployed and single, you heard it hear first folks

When I first heard of internet marks back in like 2002 it made sense to me. But the idea that these people think in 2022 there is anyone who isn't a wrestling fan who uses the internet. Baffling.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

boxcarhobo posted:

This would require these types to acknowledge that was a good pop

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AngelFerreiraDG/status/1478540894550691841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi