Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StoicRomance posted:

Kid 1 and Wife have the rona. Eight days of positive rapid tests. Kid 2 and I, more vulnerable because of the comorbidities of "being a baby" for her and "loving everything" for me, are isolating in a different part of the house.

If there is a Hell it's isolating a 3.5 year-old in a master bedroom for a week. In a way it would be better if we all got it and my wife weren't so determined to keep this half of the family from getting it. At least we could languish together in the full space. That's how bad it has been, I'm fantasizing about the convenience of just having COVID.

you should probably stop loving everything during the pandemic

that really sucks. I'm also in a house with 4 people including a baby, and being the one without covid taking care of the baby all day by myself would be brutal. hope your wife and kid get better soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

“Recovered patients: Patients who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to have detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA in upper respiratory specimens for up to 3 months after illness onset. However, replication-competent virus has not been reliably recovered from such patients, and they are not likely infectious.”

quote:

This page is for healthcare professionals caring for people in the community setting under isolation with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19. See Quarantine and Isolation for more information for the general population in the community.
First of all, this is based on a May 2020 Korean study, which is about a virus that has demonstrably different contagiousness. (I assume from digging through the document, because that specific conclusion is not cited). It's also based on whatever testing regimen SK had at the time.
The study also isn't about continually testing positive, it is about testing positive after being released from isolation. It's a study about reinfection
https://www.mofa.go.kr/eng/brd/m_22743/down.do?brd_id=20544&seq=3&data_tp=A&file_seq=1

From the CDC site:

quote:

Infectiousness peaks around one day before symptom onset and declines within a week of symptom onset, with an average period of infectiousness and risk of transmission between 2-3 days before and 8 days after symptom onset.
So 8 days of positive rapid tests is perfectly average and nowhere near the point where someone should say "eh, it's probably a false positive."

The three months specifically cited in your quote is qualified in the body as:

quote:

Studies of patients who were hospitalized and recovered indicate that SARS-CoV-2 RNA can be detected in upper respiratory tract specimens for up to 3 months (12 weeks) after symptom onset
Which tracks with other things they say about severity of infection affecting both how long someone is transmissible and how long someone tests positive.

Again from the link:
Limitations of Current Evidence

quote:

More data are needed to understand the frequency and duration of infectious SARS-CoV-2 shedding among the spectrum of mild to severely immunocompromised people, including both asymptomatic and symptomatic people.

The other study cited on that CDC page in relation to length of isolation:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33029620/

quote:

Persistently positive SARS-CoV-2 RNA PCRs in recovered patients are common but are generally associated with high Ct values, reflecting low viral loads.
This indicates that what you quoted may be correct in terms of PCR tests, but does not necessarily mean it is true for much less sensitive rapid tests.

Maybe your interpretation is right, I am not a doctor either and I loving hate reading papers like this. But there's nothing that I could find that says that quote is about rapid tests, nor that indicates that testing positive while non-contagious for extended period is normal for non-hospitalized infections.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Yes. Reading more it seems to say that pcr tests can detect for 3 months but RATS are only during peak infection

My bad. Guess I’m an example of why people keep saying that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Without wading into the probably pointless distinction between "admitted to hospital for covid" versus "with covid", the interesting bit to me of this summary

quote:

Nova Scotia is reporting today that there are 58 people in hospital who were admitted because of COVID symptoms, 10 of whom are in ICU. Those 58 range in age from 0 (one is a child under 5) to 100 years old, and the average age is 66.

Additionally, there are:
• 51 people admitted to hospital for other reasons but who tested positive for COVID during the admissions screening or who were admitted for COVID but no longer require specialized care
• 108 people in hospital who contracted COVID in the hospital outbreaks
is that previously Nova Scotia would decrement the number in hospital two weeks after admission, even if you were still in hospital, because it was assumed you no longer had covid (?). Now you'd presumably count under "no longer require specialized care"?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

When does it start getting warm again. -20 is rude.

Prob April tbh, then it's wildfires till November

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

When does it start getting warm again. -20 is rude.

I bought a Switch because it's too loving cold to jump on my fatbike and pretend to enjoy winter this year.

Today it was supposed to be warmer so we went to the lake to fish but lmao it's basically a winter hurricane out there.

Fish haven't been biting where we are but gently caress it I'm parked beside the heater playing Zelda.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

pokeyman posted:

Without wading into the probably pointless distinction between "admitted to hospital for covid" versus "with covid", the interesting bit to me of this summary
[url=https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/nova-scotia-covid-report-jan-15-58-hospitalized-627-new-cases/]

is that previously Nova Scotia would decrement the number in hospital two weeks after admission, even if you were still in hospital, because it was assumed you no longer had covid (?). Now you'd presumably count under "no longer require specialized care"?

Its an important distinction, especially since case numbers are no longer at all reliable indicators of how prevalent covid is. Instead lots of places look to hospitalization rates but these numbers can lie in new and interesting ways.

Only recently did NS start reporting the data with this level of detail. It used to be they'd only list the people that were in hospital because of covid (testing positive and having breathing trouble *I think* is the definition). I don't know when someone is considered recovered in these cases.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

EvilJoven posted:

Fish haven't been biting where we are

They're all frozen, yo.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bleck posted:

They're all frozen, yo.

Yeah you basically punched a hole in the roof of their house and let the cold air in, plug it up and go home!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol got to watch one of my fishing buddies fill on tackle an ice fishing tent that's blowing away in this poo poo storm. Dude needs to try out for the bombers.

After a riding buddy had his thighs freeze to the point where they turned purple while we were out riding yesterday and dealing with this snowcane today I've determined that this winter also needs to calm the gently caress down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You live in Manitoba, IDK what you were expecting.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Its an important distinction, especially since case numbers are no longer at all reliable indicators of how prevalent covid is. Instead lots of places look to hospitalization rates but these numbers can lie in new and interesting ways.

Only recently did NS start reporting the data with this level of detail. It used to be they'd only list the people that were in hospital because of covid (testing positive and having breathing trouble *I think* is the definition). I don't know when someone is considered recovered in these cases.

Honestly I feel like case numbers haven't been a reliable or great metric throughout the entire pandemic. How prevalent are asymptomatic carriers? We'd never really know except using the sewage testing perhaps? The government would have to be doing fully randomized sampling of the population to try and get good reliable case numbers. I've been using hospitalization and ICU rates (absolute values, not the ratio stuff) to track how well or poor any given area is doing. The slope of the graph is what I find most important. Steep upward slopes == "a bad time"

What I'd REALLY like to see are stats on the long COVID population. How severe the symptoms are: duration, frequency, intensity. I have a vested interest in this as I have what I refer now to "long C. Diff." I got C. Difficile in Oct 2016 and after multiple rounds of harsh antibiotics over a period of a few months I finally managed to eliminate the bacteria and it stopped recurring. But I had to go off work for half a year to recover from the whole thing. Some of the symptoms that started at this point and which have never stopped are brain fog, lethargy, severe executive dysfunction, and "intestinal distress." I very rarely have an appetite and can walk through an entire grocery store, feeling my stomach aching because I need to eat, and not find anything that I actually want to eat. My brain basically feels broken 99% of the time. Despite a degree in Comp Sci and over a decade of programming/tech work experience, my brain won't function at the level necessary to do that work for very long before the brain fog starts and then increases if I try and keep pushing through.

I really hope that those who have or get long COVID have things easier than me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

You live in Manitoba, IDK what you were expecting.

Manitoba is just frozen Australia, everything there is trying to kill you. Including Especially your government.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Then: "let's keep crowing about how kids don't get covid and we can keep schools open"

Now: 44% of eligible 5-11 year olds have their first shot

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I contacted my son's school and was able to put him in 'short term virtual learning' so we bought ourselves some time. He has both shots but his little sister isn't eligible yet. I'm pretty glad Waterloo's public school board has made this an option because I was really struggling with making a decision.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I can't loving wait until my 4-year-old is eligible. It's stressing me out.

I don't think I can wait until he turns 5 this summer.

MarquisDeSade
Jun 25, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I can't loving wait until my 4-year-old is eligible. It's stressing me out.

I don't think I can wait until he turns 5 this summer.

Do you need to wait until he turns 5 or is he eligible as long as he turns 5 this year? I know when they first started rolling out last year, as long as a child turned 12 in 2021, they were immediately eligible for a shot. The same happened for the 5-11 group too. But I can see it differing by province and it only applying to initial rollout and not afterwards.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I remember that happening too, but he's already in the BC register, and we haven't gotten a notification yet.

Good point though. Maybe I'll give them a call.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Count Roland posted:

I figure if the whole game is "prevent hospitals being overrun" then it doesn't really matter much where the covid box gets ticked on the admittance form. I'm all for keeping and sharing the stats, I'm just not sure what to do with them. I'm definitely no expert though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Manitoba is just frozen Australia, everything there is trying to kill you. Including Especially your government.

Australia is far more interesting

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Apparently nature abhorred the plan to send Ontario kids back to school today.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What’s interesting is because we’re already set up for remote learning the kids don’t get a snow day, they get a “virtual classroom” day instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I would be so pissed if I were a kid.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Perhaps we have seen the last of snow days? What a terrible thing to miss out on.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

What’s interesting is because we’re already set up for remote learning the kids don’t get a snow day, they get a “virtual classroom” day instead.

Nice, that makes sense. We don't in renfrew county, we got a 5am email saying buses are cancelled but schools are OPEN.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Nice, that makes sense. We don't in renfrew county, we got a 5am email saying buses are cancelled but

[quote="Postess with the Mostest" post="520774842"]
Nice, that makes sense. We don't in renfrew county, we got a 5am email saying buses are cancelled but schools are OPEN.

My dad used to be one of the people that made the call to close schools in Ottawa, and I used to get so mad when he’d cancel busses but still make me walk to school.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's clear that we overvalue the idea of school/education, and undervalue the people in charge of actually doing the education.

gently caress it, school is not so important that you can't take the day off in the middle of a snowstorm. Let one go!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can’t recall us ever having a snow/weather day in Regina. I do know they cancel busses when the weather gets too lovely though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I was in highschool our busload decided we were having an ice day when the drat thing slid sideways at an intersection until it came to rest against the sidewalk after coming to a stop, just from road crown. Our route would have taken us along some twisty rural roads on the side of a little cliff face before heading into the city and we collectively said 'gently caress that'. When the driver wouldn't let us out so we could walk back to our houses we all jumped out the emergency door at the back. gently caress you bus driver lady, we aren't going to risk dying in a car fire for another day of learning algebra and reading Shakespeare, even if McBeth is baller.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't remember having official snow days, but I do remember my parents being like "gently caress this poo poo, you don't need to go to school in this trash."

Honestly, I skipped school plenty (both with and without my parents' permission) and it never ever loving mattered.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nothing like skipping school to go to Science North with a buddy that had a year membership. I think I learned more on that cut day than I did in a week of school.

Still got in poo poo. Don't loving care, I got to hold the flying squirrel.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

It's clear that we overvalue the idea of school/education, and undervalue the people in charge of actually doing the education.

gently caress it, school is not so important that you can't take the day off in the middle of a snowstorm. Let one go!
Part of the issue is that, in Ontario at least, school board funding is based on how many days the schools are open. For every snow day where they close the schools, the boards lose funding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Part of the issue is that, in Ontario at least, school board funding is based on how many days the schools are open. For every snow day where they close the schools, the boards lose funding.

Maybe the issue is, and I'm just brainstorming here... that policy is absolutely dumb as all gently caress.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snow days are generally more for rural schools here. If you're in Winnipeg you're going. Although the one snow day we had it was like 6 foot high snow drifts - no lie. Wind and accumulation sucks.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The only legit snow day I can remember was the big blizzard in 1999 where the army was called in and whatnot. Otherwise it was always just cancelled buses but my parents usually insisted on driving me to school anyway.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Weird question for the AB/BC folks in here, is tobacco advertising legal out there? I don't mean vape products (which sort of fly under the radar here in ON), I mean like cigarettes and other tobacco products?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weird question for the AB/BC folks in here, is tobacco advertising legal out there? I don't mean vape products (which sort of fly under the radar here in ON), I mean like cigarettes and other tobacco products?

I don't know if it's changed since plain packaging, but yes, you could have tobacco advertising in 18+ bars in Alberta. I also remember seeing a lot of tobacco ads in magazines and such.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Huh. That's been illegal here for quite a few years so I wasn't sure. I just came across something that appeared to be placing cigarette ads in a restaurant and it struck me as odd. It didn't occur to me that the restrictions were provincial rather than federal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Huh. That's been illegal here for quite a few years so I wasn't sure. I just came across something that appeared to be placing cigarette ads in a restaurant and it struck me as odd. It didn't occur to me that the restrictions were provincial rather than federal.

It's very rare here because very few places are 18+-only, it's basically just lovely dives that have VLTs. You could very easily never see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

I remembered snow days in Lower Mainland where we were told on the radio not to go to school. That was the norm for us.

In Northern BC, we never had a snow day or cold day even when it was -40 C outside for the last 8 days. The schools would be kept open and it would be more or less non-instructional day.

In Northern BC we had a significant number of marginalized families and students. There was a risk of one of those kids walking to school in -40 and/or in 5’ of snow, finding the doors locked, and going full Matchstick Girl. So the doors stayed unlocked and staffed with essential staff like administration and custodial.