Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

HenryEx posted:

:raise:
Something seems.... off about the anatomy in this but i can't quite put my finger on it.

And i can't really parse the clothes situation either

He has a bit of a case of moobs instead of abs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think they are just boobs

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He has a bit of a case of moobs instead of abs.

Uhm... :ssh: She's a girl

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh?
Usually even even the more crazed fight manga dont make their female characters that muscled, even ones that are supposed to be able to lift buildings. (cowards, the lot of them)
her biceps are rippling

count me as interested
i immediately wrote it off because I read its yet another sengoku era manga

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 14, 2022

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I just read what was out there and the Shuumatsu no Valkyrie comparison is very, very apt. It's definitely not Vagabond by a country mile.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The "can't quite put my finger on it" wasn't meant to be a dumb joke about titties, i genuinely can't quite figure out what's setting me off there. Maybe it's just the weird skintight turtleneck suit (y'know, the thing Garou wears in OPM) somehow vanishing (???) halfway down the torso.

I guess it's not too common to see Fuma as a woman, it's usually just Magoichi or maybe Ranmaru Mori

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
P sure the "vanishing" is just very exaggerated shading (or highlights, in this case).

E: nevermind it's just that she has a massive boob/abs window.
E2: tbf if I had abs that nice I'd be showing them off too

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 14, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, their version of Fuuma Kotaro is fun, and while she's exceedingly unlikely to be a finalist (too many obviously interesting matchups that she can't be a part of thanks to her place in the tournament bracket), I hope the author finds a way for her to make it out alive.

https://twitter.com/asedeiya/status/1479490575241994245?s=21

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So it's not just me who got thrown for a loop

I checked it out and this guy also wears it and it makes sliiightly more sense from a side angle and without the robe:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 29, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There's armor that kinda looks like that in FFXIV, though only on male characters: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Shisui_Joi_of_Fending

Seems like something you'd wear under regular armor to protect your shoulders? But it's a variation on a real thing, anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well
Tenkaichi is fuckin weird as hell.

Featuring Ranmaru Mori as Monster can Astolfo
a legion of generic oda retainers to be used as comedic relief

This goofy stance

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well

This goofy stance

Seems like a picture for rheumatoid arthritis

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Can't help it, I love these dumb tournament mangas. This one has fun art so I'm down for all the groanworthy cliches of the genre.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well

This goofy stance

Are we talking about Baki?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Are we talking about Baki?

Depends, were you cut down by an imagination blade as soon as the overwhelming battle aura of

hit you?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So is this what seinen manga is now? Just shounen with boobs? I've been following this thread hoping to catch a new 20th Century Boys or Berserk, but it seems like everything being discussed here is just a bog-standard tournament fighting manga with maybe some extra gore or tits.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seinen != high brow.

And anything good enough to be notable is gonna have its own thread anyways.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah, tournament with gore/tits suck but I think you might be placing Berserk on too high a pedestal, when it's also not much different than shounen + gore, just with a different era's standard story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I personally like my junk food just as much as I like my fine gourmet dinners, they both have their place

Also Berserk is absolutely deserving of that pedestal

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

So is this what seinen manga is now? Just shounen with boobs? I've been following this thread hoping to catch a new 20th Century Boys or Berserk, but it seems like everything being discussed here is just a bog-standard tournament fighting manga with maybe some extra gore or tits.

You can find plenty of other stuff but i suggest other ways. Personally I just look at new releases (of fully translated manga) and try everything that sounds a bit unique.

But stuff that isn’t shonen+ is also just less popular with translators

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I started this discussion off by asking about one of those kinds of series tbf. I think a bigger issue for a 20th century boys type series is that to make a really good one is incredibly hard so they're few and far between

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mary Annette posted:

Depends, were you cut down by an imagination blade as soon as the overwhelming battle aura of

hit you?

I was bisected by Baki's Musashi. The other one just made my extremely thirsty.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think the hottest seinen coming out of Japan rn (critically at least) is About the Movement of the Earth, which covers geocentricism vs heliocentricism in 15th century Europe, so it’s more of a philosophical drama but also interspersed with really nasty violent bits. Been getting regular scanlation updates, too

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That looks ace, thank you for redeeming this thread

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I think the hottest seinen coming out of Japan rn (critically at least) is About the Movement of the Earth, which covers geocentricism vs heliocentricism in 15th century Europe, so it’s more of a philosophical drama but also interspersed with really nasty violent bits. Been getting regular scanlation updates, too

Yes, thank you. More like this, please.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

That's always what seinen has been, you just don't have a coherent critical consensus to point you to the gems that exist in the translation glut

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Coaaab posted:

ahh i didn't know this was being scanned, good to know :cheerdoge:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In fact id say the hit rate for seinen manga being good is lower than shonen.
Then they have to be translated to reach non japanese shores.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I agree. There is absolutely gigantic amount of seinen trash that's basically just tits and gore. Also most of isekai are seinen, IIRC? (yes, I know I basically said the same thing twice :v:)

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Is Helck a seinen? Anyway, the author has a new work Volundio about running a bar in a world dominated by swords with strange powers. It's pretty fun. Looks like translation isn't caught up yet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A generic bad seinen would be Ubel Blatt

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've found something new and thought a while about what to say but i'll just present it without comment

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 29, 2023

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Read Bakune Young, what an absolutely wild snd incredible manga

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

It’s some good poo poo

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Not unless you give me some idea what it's about.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

There isn't a pithy description that makes for an easy hook. Google Toyokazu Matsunaga to see the quality of the art and jump in. It's good to take chances sometimes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nipponophile posted:

quote:

It started with a brutal beating at a pachinko parlor, and now Bakune Young -- maniac, moron or mastermind -- has taken Japan's biggest crime boss as a hostage as Step One of his plan to rule the world! Soon, yakuza, police, hapless detectives and Bakune's former gym teacher collide as Bakune holes up with his hostage in Osaka Castle, and the manly men of the Japanese mob vow to do anything to rescue their boss!

Can Russian-roulette-playing police chief Sorigami salvage the situation with his highly trained army of human robots? Will Johnson Membodeath, the ninja, stop the madness by killing everyone in sight? Savage satire of the action-violence manga genre!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Don't humor him, for Christ's sake. That description is awful.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Must everything have a hot synopsizable angle to be worth checking out? Can't a piece of art's ability to make us think and feel be enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GorfZaplen posted:

Must everything have a hot synopsizable angle to be worth checking out? Can't a piece of art's ability to make us think and feel be enough?

Sure, but there's a lot of art out there, and not enough time to engage with all of it. You don't need some perfect pithy slogan, just a basic description of the premise.