Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I can vouch for Lee Valley Tools. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Maigius posted:

Where are some places to get higher quality kitchen cabinet hardware? My four year old handles from Home Depot already have the paint coming off.

https://www.mockett.com/

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Maigius posted:

Where are some places to get higher quality kitchen cabinet hardware? My four year old handles from Home Depot already have the paint coming off.

Very pleased with Stoffer Home's kitchen hardware.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Hi thread

What should I do with this boring empty wall??

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Consider putting said wall in context of it's surroundings?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hang the bike on it.

More seriously, people usually hang pictures. Go to a local art fair. Blow up a photograph you took. Get a poster for your favorite band. Buy a museum replica. Pick something you like looking at and put it on the wall.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tear it down.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

falz posted:

Consider putting said wall in context of it's surroundings?

the wall exists in a context-less void, a friction frictionless vaccum

e:

Just off to the right is my front door.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hang the bike on it.

Honestly I thought about this and I think it would be a great idea if my bike wasn't so ugly and utilitarian-looking.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 18, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
What's the difference between the bike leaning up against the wall and the bike hanging on the wall? It's still visible.

Edit : sorry, I meant to the op, like why is the bike ugly and utilitarian on the wall but not on the ground?

Hutla fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It gives it an intentional look and turns the bike into an art treatment. I can’t say for sure it would be a success but I have friends that have fantastic looking gear walls.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

For decades my Grandpa hung tools on a pegboard in his garage without any rhyme or reason. One day, he took a marker and drew outlines around everything. There's still no rhyme or reason, but now everything looks like it's where it's supposed to be.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

The Dave posted:

It gives it an intentional look and turns the bike into an art treatment. I can’t say for sure it would be a success but I have friends that have fantastic looking gear walls.

Yeah, this. On the ground, the bike is just a bike. On the wall it's also something to be looked at. But I also wish I could store that bike somewhere else entirely, but I don't have room.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The bike is also less likely to be knocked over

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I feel like anyone into bikes would immediately appreciate your well used bike, and anyone not into bikes would be impressed that you got it up on a hanger.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Finally approaching the end of our attic renovation. The attic space was always very roughly finished and was serviceable at best even when we first moved in. (Here the few things up there were pushed to the side so I could vacuum.)

Turns out it was terribly insulated, too. So we needed to fix that.

Yes, those windows were always there, covered up by the walls. From the outside you could look in and see the steel studs with fiberglass stuffed between them..

Anyway, at this point, roof leaks made themselves known. Not surprising, it was reroofed over twenty years ago, by not the last owner but the prior. The roof was replaced, with 1/2" of plywood placed atop the original decking, which was in rough shape. But then we could insulate after raising those collar ties.

Turns out the floor was even more horrifically uneven than anticipated...

... but that got taken care of as well, and rebuilding could commence.

And that brings us to today. There're still some details left (like the radiator, which is original to the house but from the living room), but the television and speakers go in this week and I am ready for people no longer to be working in my home.

Now I need the damned couch to show up.

Bonus shot of the skylight blinds opening:
https://i.imgur.com/l08bZ52.mp4

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
wow that's awesome

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That is a lovely space. Cute kid, too!

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What system did you go with for the skylight blinds?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is a lovely space. Cute kid, too!
Thanks. He certainly thinks so!

Smithwick posted:

What system did you go with for the skylight blinds?
It's just the company shades, Velux. Fixed skylights, solar-powered shades. There is a gateway, but the little remote is fine and I don't need to control them from anywhere else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bltzn posted:

Hi thread

What should I do with this boring empty wall??

Ryijy.

(Not necessarily that one, I just liked the design.)

Consider also getting an old guy to sit in front of it - really ties the room together:

Or a cool smoker:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Do you have to vacuum the wall if you do this?

bltzn posted:

Just off to the right is my front door.

Honestly I thought about this and I think it would be a great idea if my bike wasn't so ugly and utilitarian-looking.

Make a (preserved) moss wall with a bike shaped hole in it, hang bike in hole. We can help you in this dead thread.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I got a new dinette set.

What king of tableware should I get? I need small and large plates and bowls, plug place mats. I have a ton of Vignelli designed Heller melamine pieces -- I love the look, and I think they're absolutely perfect, except I'm trying to move away from plastic.

Suggestions? Bright solid colors and simple forms preferred, no white or black, although I'm open to whatever would look good with this set.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 21, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wallet posted:

Do you have to vacuum the wall if you do this?

Do you not normally vacuum your walls?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

I got a new dinette set.

What king of tableware should I get? I need small and large plates and bowls, plug place mats. I have a ton of Vignelli designed Heller melamine pieces -- I love the look, and I think they're absolutely perfect, except I'm trying to move away from plastic.

Suggestions? Bright solid colors and simple forms preferred, no white or black, although I'm open to whatever would look good with this set.

whoa that's cool, I'm guessing you are a big postmod person? were you the one that had some kartell stuff like the componibili?

have you looked at chilewich for placemats? they make great stuff, you can get any solid color, and they have some colorful multi ones that would contrast well with that table. The ones I'm thinking of are "color tempo rectangle" in indigo, or "signal rectangle" in twilight

https://www.chilewich.com/store/table/placemats-runners.html

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Neat!

Wallet posted:

Make a (preserved) moss wall with a bike shaped hole in it, hang bike in hole. We can help you in this dead thread.

Oh, that's an idea! I love dead threads, too.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

whoa that's cool, I'm guessing you are a big postmod person? were you the one that had some kartell stuff like the componibili?

have you looked at chilewich for placemats? they make great stuff, you can get any solid color, and they have some colorful multi ones that would contrast well with that table. The ones I'm thinking of are "color tempo rectangle" in indigo, or "signal rectangle" in twilight

https://www.chilewich.com/store/table/placemats-runners.html

Those are pretty good, maybe a bit muted though. I'm ideally looking for something with a lot of graphical impact. I don't have any Kartell pieces but I'm no stranger to postmodern design

These are wild, I'm not totally sold on them though https://comingsoonnewyork.com/products/placemat-round

My other option is setting up my gf's loom and try my hand at weaving some myself, which could be a whole new HCH thread

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

greazeball posted:

So yeah, is there some software/website I can use to visualise room layouts with different furniture arrangements? And is there a good resource I can use to see examples of different styles and figure out what I like?

I have no advice to add, I just wanted to say that looks like a really nice place to live with a rad vibe and view.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I know this is the interior design thread but I have a question about outdoor furniture...

Basically we're redoing our backyard and I decided to get some items from Loll Designs. I got a couple of their Adirondack chairs in sky blue and the Adirondack bench in driftwood.

Anyway, I'm thinking we should get a cocktail table. I prefer the Hennepin over the Lollygagger, the issue is that couch is 53" wide and the Hennepin is 52" while the Lollygagger is 32". By general design principles the Lollygagger fits the 2/3 rule and it is cheaper but the other one looks better. Thoughts?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kreeningsons posted:

I got a new dinette set.

People may scream, but I'm partial to Fiestaware, both old and new. It's easily available, comes in a wide range of colors, and a variety of plate, bowl, and cup sizes.
https://www.fiestatableware.com/

A sampling of the colors (not my photo)

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 14, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We did fiestaware for all our plates and bowls and they’ve been really great and we don’t have to worry about having a perfectly matching style for everything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kreeningsons posted:

I got a new dinette set.

Iittala's Teema when they're doing bright colours (like now there's a nice red, yellow, and blue).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol just lol if all your dishes match

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

lol just lol if all your dishes match

It's good to have dishes that are the same shape, even if the pattern is different, because they'll fit much better in a dishwasher. (If you could have a dishwasher and don't, you're literally killing the planet, thanks a lot.) Also, of course, they stack well in the cupboard.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Finally approaching the end of our attic renovation. The attic space was always very roughly finished and was serviceable at best even when we first moved in. (Here the few things up there were pushed to the side so I could vacuum.)

Turns out it was terribly insulated, too. So we needed to fix that.

Yes, those windows were always there, covered up by the walls. From the outside you could look in and see the steel studs with fiberglass stuffed between them..

Anyway, at this point, roof leaks made themselves known. Not surprising, it was reroofed over twenty years ago, by not the last owner but the prior. The roof was replaced, with 1/2" of plywood placed atop the original decking, which was in rough shape. But then we could insulate after raising those collar ties.

Turns out the floor was even more horrifically uneven than anticipated...

... but that got taken care of as well, and rebuilding could commence.

And that brings us to today. There're still some details left (like the radiator, which is original to the house but from the living room), but the television and speakers go in this week and I am ready for people no longer to be working in my home.

Now I need the damned couch to show up.

This is so cool, looking really great.

Did you need to do any engineering before moving the collar ties up?

Is your HVAC blower in the basement and if so do you get any air flow through those ducts? I've got a similar attic that I'm slowly prepping for finishing and I'm trying to figure out how to heat/cool it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spf3million posted:

This is so cool, looking really great.

Did you need to do any engineering before moving the collar ties up?

Is your HVAC blower in the basement and if so do you get any air flow through those ducts? I've got a similar attic that I'm slowly prepping for finishing and I'm trying to figure out how to heat/cool it.

Code for collar ties is really not that demanding (since they only act in tension, the requirements are 1x4s every 48"). But since this was a house built in 1925 that very clearly had much beefier collar ties prior to when it was renovated two owners ago, I hired a structural engineer to see what he would recommend.

We have two A/C units and one of the air handlers is up in the attic, so we get too much air flow up there if anything. The old unit was 21 years old and every once in a while didn't want to start up, so I upgraded to a two-stage York ... and when my HVAC guy went to the distributor to pick it up they'd given it to another customer and since he does tons of business with them they upgraded it to a fully-variable unit. In any case, the eaves access points are set up how they are largely in part to facilitate access to the HVAC stuff. Eventually there will be some roll-out shelving in those spaces.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm not sure what to do with these side tables. I made them for my old sofa and they don't fit with my new sectional.

The one in the back is 23.5" tall and looks weird. The one in the front I've stacked to 20.5". I think that might be a better height? I know the classic mid century look is with the really low side tables, but I always felt like tables that low aren't really functional.

I also don't like the leg style I went with. I'm thinking maybe something like these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1003166312/set-of-4-table-legs-high-quality-metal

or these:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/952129437/18metal-table-leg-coffee-table-leg

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's good to have dishes that are the same shape, even if the pattern is different, because they'll fit much better in a dishwasher. (If you could have a dishwasher and don't, you're literally killing the planet, thanks a lot.) Also, of course, they stack well in the cupboard.

My wife has bought random sized bowls and doesn't seem to be concerned with dishwasher loading efficiency, and I struggle not to lose my mind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Small question: my wife is getting annoyed at the bottles of cooking oil & vinegar hanging out on the counter. She wants to get a lazy susan for them, which sounds like a terrible idea to me since it massively expands their storage footprint and also seems like a lot of accidents waiting to happen. I would like to get some kind of little basket or rack for them but most of what I'm seeing is part of a set of little pour bottles and gently caress if I want to be refilling those all the time. Any recs for where I could pick up some kind of nice wire rack or stand that I could just chuck whatever random bottles of assorted sizes? I have seen some pantry wall baskets that would be perfect but unfortunately the layout of our space means that anything that we want to be convenient to the kitchen needs to be on the counter or in a cabinet, and the cabinets are basically spoken for.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Small question: my wife is getting annoyed at the bottles of cooking oil & vinegar hanging out on the counter. She wants to get a lazy susan for them, which sounds like a terrible idea to me since it massively expands their storage footprint and also seems like a lot of accidents waiting to happen. I would like to get some kind of little basket or rack for them but most of what I'm seeing is part of a set of little pour bottles and gently caress if I want to be refilling those all the time. Any recs for where I could pick up some kind of nice wire rack or stand that I could just chuck whatever random bottles of assorted sizes? I have seen some pantry wall baskets that would be perfect but unfortunately the layout of our space means that anything that we want to be convenient to the kitchen needs to be on the counter or in a cabinet, and the cabinets are basically spoken for.

I installed these and they're great for maximizing cabinet space and ease with regard to reaching the back items. You might be able to reclaim some space with them.

https://www.verticalspice.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I installed these and they're great for maximizing cabinet space and ease with regard to reaching the back items. You might be able to reclaim some space with them.

https://www.verticalspice.com/

I recall seeing these a few years ago while trying to figure out how to get my spice cabinet organized. The price hurts a bit, but if they really are worth it I might finally buy them.