Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

I am pretty sure I can see the code crying during this run.

I wonder why it's janky. I know nothing about Zelda, but the early Final Fantasy games are janky because the space limit on a SNES cart meant they had to do some wizardry just to fit the games on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder why it's janky. I know nothing about Zelda, but the early Final Fantasy games are janky because the space limit on a SNES cart meant they had to do some wizardry just to fit the games on it.

I wonder if it is janky, or is this is just what happens when one of the most popular games of all time is subject to decades of dissection by ruthless speedrunners.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

:aaaaa:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"Exploding indefinitely" much like this game

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Pretty much all the 2D Zeldas share a design conceit where the entire overworld is stored one big map and all the underground and dungeons are stored in another single combined map. So they all share similar vulnerabilities where if you can get consistently out of bounds in the underworld, you can go wherever you want, you have the keys to the kingdom

Kestral posted:

I wonder if it is janky, or is this is just what happens when one of the most popular games of all time is subject to decades of dissection by ruthless speedrunners.

That too, popular well-loved games get the kind of scientific dissection from speedrunners that makes it possible to discover glitches like these buried far from where a casual runner could stumble upon them

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

You can tell this is going to be a fast Speedrun when the game starts going to plaid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh God this poor game

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I need a terminal montage cartoon based on this run.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's also worth noting that he's doing all this in green tunic, getting more than grazed by these later bosses will vaporize him.

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004
This run is nuts. Amazing, but nuts.

Is hotarubi the grandfather of speedrunning or something?

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Kestral posted:

It's also worth noting that he's doing all this in green tunic, getting more than grazed by these later bosses will vaporize him.

It looks like taking damage even without a death would be a big time waste considering how many of these manipulations require swordbeam.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda amazing doing half this poo poo doesn't result in crashes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Azza Bamboo posted:

Some amount of it is practical programming. You could code a given SNES game to be bulletproof and accept all kinds of weird inputs and respond without breaking the game, but you don't have unlimited time to code or test, and you don't have unlimited space on the cart or processing power to do these things with.

Another thing is how static memory locations are in games like this, that means if you happen to find a way to get the game to mis-load things from memory in a predictable way you have a really powerful glitching tool. You see this a lot in various Zelda games, LttP and OoT particularly come to mind.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the game is fighting back now.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's that apocalyptic weather again

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"If you have a problem, you can just hookpush it somewhere else!"

New therapy just dropped

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Hunt11 posted:

I think the game is fighting back now.

The game has correctly identified the runner as a threat.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
here's to the couch commentator and his ongoing struggle against hiccups

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what a pleasant color palette.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Fall down a hole, go into Swamp Palace. Ahh LttP glitches, never change in your insanity.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ok, how the gently caress did anyone ever figure out that hole --> Argus skip? :psyduck:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
hotarubi is putting on a clinic, I would love to see this guy take on the randomizer

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is one of the weirdest runs I have ever seen of a game I thought I understood.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

we did it :)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Well, that completely ruled. And now it's time for...

T E T R I S

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

That was loving awesome.

Hotarubi just adds to his legendary status with that showing.

TGM 20g is used as a practice mode, this is gonna be a breeze for the runner.
To beat TGM regularly you still have to do 500 20g levels. Doing 20g from the start is just like doing 2 GMs in one game basically.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
Incentive's not met yet, time to stall like twenty motherfuckers and pray.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'm always so hype for tetris

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
My suspicion is that the 20G mode will be played after the regular run, to buy time for the incentive to be met.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Blindfolded Sekiro on KB+M

And Hobz fell into the Void mid interview. :lol:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ahahaha, the Jhobz death-stare. And now we know that not all of these interviews are pre-recorded!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's kinda amazing doing half this poo poo doesn't result in crashes.

It is extremely difficult to get LttP to crash.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"I am Jhobz" killed me

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Day-TO-NAAAAAAAA

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

daytonaaaaaaaa

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Do the interviews get put on youtube too? I might want to see that one again lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
YE GODS, MY PRIZE IS RUINED

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay this is extremely dumb but I like it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Why is there smoke coming out of your office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Flesnolk posted:

Do the interviews get put on youtube too? I might want to see that one again lol

Yeah they're usually attached to a vod.