Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how much computer use is "excessive" computer use

i'm a programmer as a job and as a hobby so i would say i'm touching a computer most of my waking hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Given the average person who complains about "too much computer", I would wager 'any more than the absolute bare minimum required for work'.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my dad's gf my change
Today Tessa kept making comments about how she's glad she taught her daughter to share and not be entitled

...she said, as she was angry she didn't receive money she didn't earn but felt entitled to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's both. The TV doesn't make you near sighted, but eyes do adjust to what they regularly do; sometimes that's reversible, sometimes it leads to permanent vision changes.
https://www.aoa.org/healthy-eyes/eye-and-vision-conditions/myopia?sso=y

"Individuals who spend considerable time reading, working at a computer, or doing other intense close visual work may be more likely to develop myopia."

Wait until you hear what happens when you're spending all day at a focal distance of 2-3" because you're staring into your VR metaverse headset.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
and as always everyone will vary

i spend most of my time either doing stuff on the computer or reading if my so is busy and my rx hasn't changed in like 25 years

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Wait until you hear what happens when you're spending all day at a focal distance of 2-3" because you're staring into your VR metaverse headset.

I could swear they were set up to not be eye straining. I used to have to wear them quite often, and they weren't annoying because they required you to focus too near - in fact, I had to wear my prescription glasses while I used them because otherwise it would be "far away" blurry.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

how much computer use is "excessive" computer use

i'm a programmer as a job and as a hobby so i would say i'm touching a computer most of my waking hours

lol same. also this is definitely anecdotal but I feel like I'm seeing more people with glasses now than growing up in the pre-cellphone era

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I could swear they were set up to not be eye straining. I used to have to wear them quite often, and they weren't annoying because they required you to focus too near - in fact, I had to wear my prescription glasses while I used them because otherwise it would be "far away" blurry.

Yeah, I'm pretty near sighted and if I wear a VR headset without glasses things are blurry. From what I've read online they're set up for an average focal distance of around 5 feet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alchenar posted:

If people have a mental condition then don't deliberately poke it. They're by definition not responsible for the irrational response.

That goes for the bird terrorist, not the OP. If you have a condition that makes you treat people as if they're made of acid, grab a person's hand and then freak out, it is on you to apologize.

It's not a free pass to treat people like poo poo.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mx. posted:

those books sound boring as gently caress

husband gave a solid gift to make up for OP's shittiness at least

I read those and the Little House series as well as being a big scifi/fantasy person, and they are fine but if you aren't interested in personal diaries of teens/tweens, then I can see bouncing off. The reason I liked them as a kid was they were generally hardback and would have thicker paper (to emulate old timey diaries maybe?) and would have a ribbon to keep track of where you were. I also recall them being pretty melodramatic and no big overarching plots since each book was a one and done.

So odd to me that someone who is a self professed lover of reading would be such a stickler for the genre.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JackSplater posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty near sighted and if I wear a VR headset without glasses things are blurry. From what I've read online they're set up for an average focal distance of around 5 feet.

Nice ones may be. But do you think "the metaverse" hardware is going to look more like that or more like google cardboard? Sure, there's going to be some manner of correction going on still, but this is going to depend on quality of the lenses. And the choices of the manufacturer of what the "right" distance is. And whatever that distance happens to be, you are staring at it the whole time. No focal changes.

Also, there's growing evidence of things beyond focal issues and motion sickness.

I have little doubt there is much more to come on this topic if mass market adoption picks up. This will absolutely include a startling level of injuries from idiots running themselves or just their limbs into things that they can no longer see with the headset on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Nice ones may be. But do you think "the metaverse" hardware is going to look more like that or more like google cardboard? Sure, there's going to be some manner of correction going on still, but this is going to depend on quality of the lenses. And the choices of the manufacturer of what the "right" distance is. And whatever that distance happens to be, you are staring at it the whole time. No focal changes.

Also, there's growing evidence of things beyond focal issues and motion sickness.

I have little doubt there is much more to come on this topic if mass market adoption picks up. This will absolutely include a startling level of injuries from idiots running themselves or just their limbs into things that they can no longer see with the headset on.

Inventing a focal length and getting mad at it. :allears:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mx. posted:

Ugh, I hate people like this, telling you you're not allowed to make a big deal over something they're imposing on you and are currently making a big deal over.

"How dare you care so much about these quarters that I'm currently throwing a fit over!"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

give the change to a homeless person, right in front of her

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for being upset my husband gets drunk close to my due date?

quote:

I am 38 weeks pregnant and could have my baby anytime. My husband likes to get drunk with his friends almost every weekend. While I am okay with him having fun I have asked him to stop getting drunk in case he needs to drive me to the hospital.

He said he won’t get drunk but he will still drink since I am two weeks from my due date. He continues to get blackout drunk or drunk to the point if I am in labor I will have to drive myself to the hospital. He says that I am just ruining his fun and should stop whining because each time he’s gotten black out drunk so far I haven’t went into labor.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for being upset even though I didn’t go into labor on those nights?

guy's already dad of the year and the kid ain't even born yet. wait 'til he sees how much fun a baby can ruin!

lol j/k he's gonna make his wife do everything while he slugs whiskey from a "#1 dad" mug

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Foo Diddley posted:

guy's already dad of the year and the kid ain't even born yet. wait 'til he sees how much fun a baby can ruin!

lol j/k he's gonna make his wife do everything while he slugs whiskey from a "#1 dad" mug

I’d ban that man from the delivery suite if he was drunk that day. And maybe if he wasn’t.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

What do you MEAN I can't get drunk on the weekends? drat baby keeps crying, this is my Miller Time!

AITA for telling some the reason I don’t have kids and saying if they wanting me to be a parent they would give me money.

quote:

I have been married for 10 years. My husband and I tried have kids and discovered we had fertility issues. We tried three times IVF and it failed each time. We live in a state where insurance doesn’t cover it. My husband and I decided we can’t financially and emotionally afford another round. We came to peace with that decision. We have discussed possibility fostering in the future. Recently my brother and his wife had their first baby. It is my husband and mine first time being an aunt and a uncle. We are overjoyed and plan on spoiling our new niece and helping out as much as possible. After they had the baby extend family, my great aunt, started talking about how important family was. She mentioned my husband and I weren’t getting younger and we should start our family like my younger brother is doing. I tried to brush it aside but she kept going. Eventually I said that I can’t have kids normally and she was concerned about it so much she could keep paying for IVF. She got mad and called me ungrateful. My family is saying that while she was wrong I should I have kept my mouth shut to keep the peace. So am AITA?

This poo poo always makes me happy that I don't have a large family. Or really any at all anymore outside the immediate. The idea of shutting up to keep the peace is never the fault of the rear end in a top hat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I'll always remember this episode of Bill O'Reilly's show I watched back in the early 2000's where he had one of his dumb 'debates' with an internet-atheist about the need for religion in society. O'Reilly kept going back to this point about how people would just be murdering, raping, and stealing everything they could if they had no belief in heaven and hell.
My atheist husband commented that he always came away from those "otherwise everybody would be murdering and stealing!" conversations thinking, "Well, I'm certainly glad you're a Christian."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I would simply not marry nor get impregnated by a guy with crippling "functional" alcoholism but I'm weird that way.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for trying to expand my niece's literature collection?
All the books she mentioned are meant for kids way younger than her niece. Ann of Green Gables was something my mom read to me when I was maybe seven, and as I recall in middle school most of us were reading 'adult' books (i.e. lots of Stephen King and Michael Crichton).

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Just check out this stupid motherfucker!

I want my ex back but she won't listen to me

quote:

I (30M) got divorced about 6 months ago from my wife "Jules" (31F.) We were only married for a year, and dated for a year before that. She is a nurse practitioner and when we got married she agreed that I could work part time while also working on my music. But tbh, I didn't do much with my music. I got lonely at home because she was working a lot because she works in an ICU and with covid being out of loving control. Because I got lonely, I started seeking companionship in the music scene and started seeing someone else.

One day, Jules came home and I didn't hear her walk in. She overheard a phone conversation that was obvious what I was up to. She stood outside my office door and waited til I hung up then came in and told me to get the gently caress out of her house (she owned it before we got together and the deed never had my name on it.) I tried to talk my way out of it and tell her she misunderstood but she isn't stupid. I don't have any family around here so I went to the girl I was seeing and told her my wife kicked me out. She didn't know I was married and she told me to gently caress off too. I went back home and Jules agreed to let me stay but she filed for divorce the next morning. She said I could stay temporarily but didn't want me in our bed and also didn't want me having any "guests" over. I agreed, but I felt that was unreasonable to make me sleep in the guest room that only had a twin size bed. I thought we should work on our marriage but she said she couldn't trust me and wouldn't tolerate cheating. A couple of weeks later, I started seeing someone else, she came over while Jules was at work and when she came home, she caught us asleep in the master. She kicked me out, and said I could pick my stuff up over the weekend. I ended up in a studio apartment, and I got everything that was mine that I could fit into my apartment. When I left with my stuff I basically called her a bitter bitch because she couldn't handle the situation with any maturity. That was the last time I saw her before divorce court, and she has since blocked me on social media. I tried calling her once but she never answered.

A couple of weeks ago, she called and told me she wants the rest of my poo poo out of her basement. I was pretty pissed, first of all, this happened the day after I put "in a relationship" on facebook so I thought she was just being an rear end in a top hat because I was seeing someone. Second, she knows I don't really have the room for it. She said she doesn't give a poo poo and she looked into it and I have to pick it up within 30 days or its abandoned property and she can toss it. I ended up going over to pick up the rest of my stuff and this Harry Styles looking mother fucker answered the door. I asked who in the hell he is, and he said "You came here why dont you tell me who the gently caress you are?" It turns out Jules has a boyfriend. She came out and when I saw her I was blown away. She has lost probably 40lbs, cut her hair, its a different color, she looks gorgeous. I couldn't believe how different she looked. When she saw me she didn't really say much, just that she would help me get my stuff out of the basement and load it in my car. When I was about to leave I told her she looked great, she just said thanks. I asked for a hug and she said no. I said that she was a great wife and I was sorry she just said "Ok" and turned around. I haven't been able to get her out of my head since then. I went back over and waited for her boyfriend to leave and went to talk to her. I told her I realize I hosed up and I want another chance, and seeing her again reminded me how much fun we had together. She just stood there kind of expressionless and shut the door in my face before I could finish. I made another fb just to message her and she blocked me. I asked my bro to call her for me and he told me I am stupid and to give up but I dont know if I can just give up on the love of my life like that especially when I know now how much I screwed up. What do I do here? How do I get her to listen to me and remember the good times we had? I want her back before its too late.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for having a visible baby bump at my stepsister's wedding when I'd promised I wouldn't?

quote:

My husband 'Sam' (28m) and I (28f) have been married for two years. My stepsister and good friend 'Rosanna' was supposed to be getting married in June of 2020. This is all an old issue from last year that was brought up again and I still believe I was in the right, so I'm posting it.

Sam and I were trying for a baby. We stopped trying, 9 months before her wedding, not because she made me, but because I wanted to be able to attend her wedding in my bridesmaid dress. We started trying again, 3 months before the wedding, because then, if I were to get pregnant, it would be a non-visible tiny baby bump, if that makes sense. She knew we were trying, so we told her that she wouldn't have to worry about me getting pregnant. She looked reassured and happy about that.

Rosanna forgot to check the weather on the day of her outdoor wedding, until very close to the wedding. She ended up having to reschedule her wedding. Luckily, most of the stuff was reschedulable. She rescheduled it for October.

Turns out, I did get pregnant! The baby was due in early January, conceived in April. My baby bump showed at the later wedding date, but not the original.

Rosanna was really mad that I broke my promise but I said that she should have just checked the weather and it wasn't my fault.

I'd go NC and be done with it all but all my family members would go nuts over it. I just want to resolve this issue and go back to normal.

AITA?

e:

Evil Willow posted:

hahahaha eat poo poo and die mad

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Mx. posted:

AITA for having a visible baby bump at my stepsister's wedding when I'd promised I wouldn't?

I can't imagine how these types of people would react to an actual problem

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

is it too early to hand out the dipshit of the year award?

e: lol

quote:

Literally everyone who reads this wants to kick your rear end. I'm not sorry. You're an rear end in a top hat and you did this to yourself. Leave her alone and go be a better person somewhere else.

r/relationships: Literally everyone who reads this wants to kick your rear end

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 16, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Evil Willow posted:

loving lmao, could this guy be a bigger loving loser

Mx. posted:

Oh nvm I guess the other guy didn't soak up all my current supply of contempt.
gently caress your wedding lady lol.

Grape fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 16, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling some the reason I don’t have kids and saying if they wanting me to be a parent they would give me money.

After they had the baby extend family, my great aunt, started talking about how important family was. She mentioned my husband and I weren’t getting younger and we should start our family like my younger brother is doing. I tried to brush it aside but she kept going. Eventually I said that I can’t have kids normally and she was concerned about it so much she could keep paying for IVF. She got mad and called me ungrateful. My family is saying that while she was wrong I should I have kept my mouth shut to keep the peace. So am AITA?

Ungrateful? Ungrateful for what? Aunt hasn't done anything.

Foo Diddley posted:

Why do men like this have children at all? I get that he is a piece of poo poo who plans on making his wife shoulder the entire responsibility, but given that he clearly doesn't care about his future child, why have one at all?

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 16, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nebrilos posted:

Why do men like this have children at all? I get that he is a piece of poo poo who plans on making his wife shoulder the entire responsibility, but given that he clearly doesn't care about his future child, why have one at all?

i doubt he planned much more than "bby you know i don't like the way a condom feels"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

Help me Reddit, I keep punching myself in the balls, how do I make the pain stop

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Help me Reddit, I keep punching myself in the balls, how do I make the pain stop

By the way I will not stop punching

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Willow posted:

She renovated her life and put him out on the curb for bulk trash pickup. Good for her.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

the most pathetic loser on the planet. ugh

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evil Willow posted:

I don't care if this has been commented on a few times just :lol:

This is truly amazing and there isn't a :lol: big enough.

Its beautiful.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
well sure i called you a bitch, but that was before you got hot!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Evil Willow posted:

jfc. loving clueless loser weirdo. god drat! lol

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Foo Diddley posted:

is it too early to hand out the dipshit of the year award?

e: lol

r/relationships: Literally everyone who reads this wants to kick your rear end

If it is, this is the dipshit to beat; anyone who wants to dethrone him must somehow be denser and more powerful, which I struggle to conceptualize.

Nebrilos posted:

I feel like you kind of answered your own question. Because he found a good doormat mommywife who will clean all the poo poo stains from his underwear and the only thing she won't budge on is having a baby which she knows full well she will be taking full responsibility for once it arrives, so why rock the boat? All he's got to do is not wear a condom.

AITA for telling my GF that her cat doesn’t love her back?

quote:

I (M30) have been in a relationship with my girlfriend (F27) for over 2 years. One of her main personality traits revolves around loving cats and especially her cat. She calls her cat her “son” and “baby” and lets him sleep on the bed with us at night, and seems to be constantly worrying about his well-being (leaving the air conditioner on for him when we’re out of the house during the summer, scooping his litter box 2-3x a day etc.)

I thought that this perspective was rather childish and recently I mentioned to her that he’s just a cat. She got defensive and said that she’s sure that at least they share a bond, but I told her that the nature of domesticated cats is that they’ll be loyal to whomever can provide food and shelter. The truth is that if the neighbors started providing the attention and food that the cat needs, he will easily be just as attached to them as he is to my gf. The “bond” she mentioned is surely just a projection of her own emotions onto the cat. She was really upset at hearing this and now isn’t talking to me. AITA?
Post from Colin Robinson's account here.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 16, 2022

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

I don't have any family around here so I went to the girl I was seeing and told her my wife kicked me out. She didn't know I was married and she told me to gently caress off too.

This made me burst out laughing.

quote:

A couple of weeks later, I started seeing someone else, she came over while Jules was at work and when she came home, she caught us asleep in the master. She kicked me out, and said I could pick my stuff up over the weekend.

Then this made me burst out laughing a lot harder.

Also: how the gently caress do all these people in these stories manage to find affordable studio apartments? A couple years back I was trying to get out of an uncomfortable living arrangement and I was constantly scouring apartments.com and other sites for studios, and there were *never* any studio apartments open within a hundred-mile radius of my work. The only thing that ever seemed to be open was multiple bedroom places where you'd have to engineer some sort of elaborate roommate situation to afford the rent. All I wanted was a tiny room with a kitchenette and bathroom that I could huddle in, but there were never any places like that in my area.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

Post from Colin Robinson's account here.

Butters is disappointed in you, sir.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

some pet people can get pretty weird with their ~bonds~ but the idea that pets are emotionless automatons seeking food and shelter is patently false. cats and dogs do recognize their owners and have personalities and preferences that extend beyond basic life functions. this guy probably has terminal stem brain unforch

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I tried to rehome a cat to a friend once and it came home. Just a couple city blocks but still, come on dude. Just go eat the same kibble and poo poo in the same box somewhere else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

I tried to rehome a cat to a friend once and it came home. Just a couple city blocks but still, come on dude. Just go eat the same kibble and poo poo in the same box somewhere else!

You didn't love your cat?