Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Astroneer is what you would get if you made it so that you could suffocate and die in Euro Truck Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

power crystals posted:

My experience was that it had good ideas but didn't know how to make the intermediate steps interesting so it opted to make everything incredibly tedious instead, with every major update taking a previously simple mechanic and making it way more annoying, and with the in-world inventory "UI" going from cute to frustrating as the game added more production chains and more items/resources to go with them. Overall I'd recommend it but if you have low patience for the grindy part of survival games then beware.

Ok thanks! Maybe I’ll keep it on the wishlist for a bit. I’m still trying to figure out how not to die in 7 days to die tbh.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

MarcusSA posted:

Astroneer is on sale for $15 but how is it? I didn't realize the game came out in 2016.

If you like games like Space Engineers or Stationeers you're probably going to find Astroneers too simplistic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Astroneer is a decent enough game.
But it consists mainly of 'Make all the things to progress'.
Has good enough exploration to unlock places and find items.
No REAL story though.

Just dont buy it from Microsoft, that was my biggest mistake.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Astroneer is a fantastic multiplayer chill game if you got a group for it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Astroneer is really fun but it's not particularly long or deep. It does have nice design, and is pretty chill. You can get a good 20 hours out of it.

It's also free on Game Pass.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Astroneer is a great “Stationeers Lite”. More about floofing around on stylized planets with cute rovers and less “omg why is my helmet full of CO2 and it’s too hot and this gas tank just exploded why are the pipes broken aaaaah”. Thought I prefer the latter :)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
zomboid is clearly really cool and I can see why people are super into it, but man the grindiness/progression does not make sense to me, but I guess I need to make a fast learner character

also the ui is painfully bad

animations look great though

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island, which sounds like a shovelware game I know, but is made by the same guy that did Card Quest, which same problem, but was a great roguelike and this new game has been a pretty decent survival experience from my poking at it, albeit with an odd presentation and massive abstraction. It's giving me some weird nostalgia for something I can't quite put my finger on too...

Main loop of the game is don't die, keep fed, watered, rested and sane, and eventually build a raft and escape back to civilization, which is not instant and sailing on your raft is the end game, rather than the game end. Currently water feels a bit too hard to manage and random injuries from just exploring certain zones suck especially since treating them takes forever and absolutely fucks both your turn economy and food consumption. And it's still in EA so is very much the skeleton of a game.

Is run based and has meta-progression in the form of unlockable starting traits (every day survived earns you a 'sun', every month a 'moon'), sun traits tend to be basic innate things like simple debuffs or buffs or starting with a decent skill score in a specific skill and moon traits tend to be more game-changing, like instead of you being stranded your a survival show host lol, or it never rains, or you spawn in a crashed plane far in-land instead of on the beach, or be a horrible sea monster come to shore to nest, which is actually one of the preset builds and stupidly hard. Traits can be good or bad and there is no limit to what ones you can use once unlocked, so it's more about tailoring what kinda experience you want than actual progression.

Card Quest was a real good game for me, so yeah, am excited to see what this looks like better fleshed out even if it's a hell of strange genre combo.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Herstory Begins Now posted:

zomboid is clearly really cool and I can see why people are super into it, but man the grindiness/progression does not make sense to me, but I guess I need to make a fast learner character

You can change xp multipliers in the sandbox settings. Super helpful for MP where you can fast forward time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I'm pretty sure the original concept of the game wasn't really intended for people to survive more than a couple of months, the devs have gradually come around to players wanting to run endless games and have added some kinda engaging mechanics like exercise and VCR tapes to make it a little more reasonable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh i think most of my issue is being 1) new and 2) bad

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jawnycat posted:

So been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island, which sounds like a shovelware game I know, but is made by the same guy that did Card Quest, which same problem, but was a great roguelike and this new game has been a pretty decent survival experience from my poking at it, albeit with an odd presentation and massive abstraction. It's giving me some weird nostalgia for something I can't quite put my finger on too...

Main loop of the game is don't die, keep fed, watered, rested and sane, and eventually build a raft and escape back to civilization, which is not instant and sailing on your raft is the end game, rather than the game end. Currently water feels a bit too hard to manage and random injuries from just exploring certain zones suck especially since treating them takes forever and absolutely fucks both your turn economy and food consumption. And it's still in EA so is very much the skeleton of a game.

Is run based and has meta-progression in the form of unlockable starting traits (every day survived earns you a 'sun', every month a 'moon'), sun traits tend to be basic innate things like simple debuffs or buffs or starting with a decent skill score in a specific skill and moon traits tend to be more game-changing, like instead of you being stranded your a survival show host lol, or it never rains, or you spawn in a crashed plane far in-land instead of on the beach, or be a horrible sea monster come to shore to nest, which is actually one of the preset builds and stupidly hard. Traits can be good or bad and there is no limit to what ones you can use once unlocked, so it's more about tailoring what kinda experience you want than actual progression.

Card Quest was a real good game for me, so yeah, am excited to see what this looks like better fleshed out even if it's a hell of strange genre combo.

I gave this a try and within 15 minutes I had diarrhea from only eating and drinking coconuts, 10/10

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

To be fair I think the tutorial could probably stand to be expanded past "Hello! There are zombies. Here are the controls. Good luck!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

To be fair I think the tutorial could probably stand to be expanded past "Hello! There are zombies. Here are the controls. Good luck!"

i was playing with friends and one of them, clearly a genius, tried to enable runners but set runner spawn percent to 100

so avoiding that might help, too

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

esquilax posted:

Astroneer is really fun but it's not particularly long or deep. It does have nice design, and is pretty chill. You can get a good 20 hours out of it.

It's also free on Game Pass.

This I didnt know.
FYI

quote:

Is Astroneer cross-platform?
Yes, Astroneer is cross-platform, but not entirely. It can get a little confusing here. In Astroneer, cross-play is available only between Xbox One and PC. Apart from these two devices, all other players are restricted to playing with players using the same device only.

What this means is if you know someone who has it on Steam and you are on pc gamepass, then the only way to play is through a rented server.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

i was playing with friends and one of them, clearly a genius, tried to enable runners but set runner spawn percent to 100

so avoiding that might help, too

You should have played on the other server that wasn't modded to poo poo first.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

zomboid is clearly really cool and I can see why people are super into it...

Protocol7 posted:

The controls are pretty janky and the UI isn't great and fairly unintuitive for some things but as a pretty new player, I've gotten somewhat more used to it. Other then this thread (primarily), watching some gameplay vids is what convinced me to pick it up but even after watching some "how to" intro vids after firing it up I still felt myself struggling sometimes. As mentioned, the tutorial is near useless, I still wasn't comfortable simply walking around after a couple times through it.

Regularly I feel like I'm doing exactly what I should be doing to get the results I want but instead of "run away from these zombies into this building and close the door on them" I get "go inside, try to close the door, come on close the door, no don't open the window, dammit, ah crap run I guess!" and while that could be blamed on panicking, but even some completely chill moments of "inspect the cupboard I'm highlighting" ends up with "open the drapes in the next room" more often then it should.

I'm really enjoying it though, definitely with some settings tweaked however.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

You should have played on the other server that wasn't modded to poo poo first.

i think i need to log some hours solo or something

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Kind of a cross post from management games thread but:

I’m looking for a game that runs well on a recent surface pro because I’m traveling for work and want to distract myself from the fact I’ll end up with covid for my job. I’ve been having a ball with some friends in zomboid but a tinier screen and a not super accurate mouse and keyboard setup makes me loathe trying to fight “woops you got bit” style zombies.

I might consider something like unrealworld to finally learn, but I’m worried it might be a little much to bite off for “tired in a hotel for 45 minutes” type of game. One friend suggested rimworld again, which maybe. I have been hunting more “play a person, but there’s some management elements” games - zomboid hit this in a lot of ways because I got to play a base-mom in multiplayer, but I’m thinking of like Graveyard keeper or things of that nature. I have Feel the Snow which I’ve barely played?? Vintage story might be a good candidate if not for the fact I think it might look and play like crap on the surface pro.

Any strong suggestions?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Not a survival sim, but maybe Starsector could be good for this? Top down control space combat game where you build up a little fleet and planets under your control. Broadly speaking any mount and blade type of game could give those vibes.

Valheim kind of has that dynamic as well, if crafting and fighting, but better with friends imo.

Graveyard keeper is all right but gets quite grindy, maybe mod it a bit to speed it up imo!

You could also maybe get a smaller hard mousepad and a better mouse and stick with zomboid 🤷🏻‍♂️

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m looking for a game that runs well on a recent surface pro because I’m traveling for work and want to distract myself from the fact I’ll end up with covid for my job. I’ve been having a ball with some friends in zomboid but a tinier screen and a not super accurate mouse and keyboard setup makes me loathe trying to fight “woops you got bit” style zombies.

I might consider something like unrealworld to finally learn, but I’m worried it might be a little much to bite off for “tired in a hotel for 45 minutes” type of game. One friend suggested rimworld again, which maybe. I have been hunting more “play a person, but there’s some management elements” games - zomboid hit this in a lot of ways because I got to play a base-mom in multiplayer, but I’m thinking of like Graveyard keeper or things of that nature. I have Feel the Snow which I’ve barely played?? Vintage story might be a good candidate if not for the fact I think it might look and play like crap on the surface pro.

Any strong suggestions?

I don't really know the Surface Pro's specs but you could look at the first Subnautica, which is quite old now. Kenshi should also run well enough and possible to play in shorter bursts. Factorio is another one of these.

All of these you can play in shorter bursts of 45 min - hour, though you'll probably end up wanting to play more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Any strong suggestions?

Star sector
Rim world
Vintage story

Have you thought about a game streaming option like GeForce now? It might open up a lot of games for you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You can turn off infection in Zomboid and it's still a pretty good game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
While neither survival nor management, if you're just looking for something to kill some time in the evenings you might get a lot of milage out of slay the spire or monster train or across the obelisk

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

I can't speak to a heavily modded server but in stock multi, food, sneaking and long-term thinking is less of an issue and getting skilled up fast to deal with daily raiding is a must - an athletic and strong veteran is amazing. Try this for a multiplayer char that's focused on raiding in a team, becomes quickly competent in melee and firearms and can work with a group or solo to bring back stuff to base:

Veteran - Won't ever panic, gets good at guns fast

Illiterate - reading books is boring in multi anyway and hopefully you've got a shared VCR
High Thirst - Water is very easy to get. Carry 2 bottles of water on you instead of 1
Slow Healer - The only non-zombie way to get hurt is doing something dumb (not cleaning glass out of a window, falling) or running through trees. So don't do that.
Conspicuous - Zombies are going to spot you in the daytime with or without this and when you're in a group you're making noise or getting spotted anyway. This has low downsides and can be eventually offset with 3+ points in sneaking.
Hearty Appetite - This can hurt solo but if you're in a group food is much easier to come by. This hurts the most out of all the disadvantages.
Prone to Illness - Wear a jacket and don't be cold and you'll be fine.
Smoker - Getting smokes isn't that hard.
Weak Stomach - Just don't eat rotten food or random mushrooms/berries.
Speed Demon - The extra perk point has to go somewhere, and it's "OK".
Cat's Eyes - Absolutely critical, you are gonna get stuck in the dark at some point and darkness is no joke in this game.
Dexterous - This is a nice to have, looting fast is useful and very convenient.
Fast Learner - +75% to ALL skill learning? Yes. Become useful very fast.
Athletic - Affects swing speed, running, virtually everything combat and non-combat related. Agility is easily the most important stat in the game.
Strong - Affects carry weight, melee damage, zombie knockdown chance. Even if you're using guns being able to carry a large amount of loot is critical.

Optionally, additionally:
Lucky - If no one else has it, it's good - it's a 2nd loot pool
Pacifist - Almost entirely offset by fast learner, so combat skills only go up at the "normal" rate

Wakeful - It's sometimes hard to sync sleep schedules in multi, so a bit of wiggle room is nice to have
Short Sighted - It's not great, but you're running out of "good" perks. Zombies will only become visible 3 tiles rather than 4 tiles away when they are coming at you from behind.

This gets you a 10/10 combat character that will never panic and can generally get away with killing or running from their problems. Shines in group play. The largest downside is that you need to rely on the TV to learn skills, need more food, need decent meds and can't hotwire cars without a good VCR setup.

Even solo, I'd never take a character without Cat's Eyes, Fast Learner and Athletic. IMO, High thirst, Weak stomach, Prone to illness are free points. Underweight isn't too bad; you can eat yourself to a healthy weight in 3-4 days for a net 1 point of agility loss.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 15, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've skipped illiterate for so long because of magazines and books, but you're right that with VHS tapes that makes it a far less awful trait.

I don't know if this was a bug or not, but on my multiplayer server I was able to watch a crafting VHS twice and get exp both times. First time I was just sitting there myself trying to get to rain catchers, 2nd time it was a joke, "yo everyone get some beers and a magazine to practice reloading while we watch a VHS tape in a game lmao" and I saw my carpentry skill rising.

But maybe adrenaline junkie, coward, and agoraphobic is better?????

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've skipped illiterate for so long because of magazines and books, but you're right that with VHS tapes that makes it a far less awful trait.

I don't know if this was a bug or not, but on my multiplayer server I was able to watch a crafting VHS twice and get exp both times. First time I was just sitting there myself trying to get to rain catchers, 2nd time it was a joke, "yo everyone get some beers and a magazine to practice reloading while we watch a VHS tape in a game lmao" and I saw my carpentry skill rising.

But maybe adrenaline junkie, coward, and agoraphobic is better?????

Apparently after logging out you can watch a vhs again apparently?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I haven't played Zomboid in years but I probably should see how much it's changed since the early 2010s. Do they still make you do... the thing... with the pillow in the tutorial?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Bhodi posted:

Conspicuous - Zombies are going to spot you in the daytime with or without this and when you're in a group you're making noise or getting spotted anyway. This has low downsides and can be eventually offset with 3+ points in sneaking.
hind.

how do you level up sneak efficiently? even with inconspicuous, zombies are still turning and seeing me no problem when i've only got a few points in my attempt with that pack

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BrianRx posted:

I haven't played Zomboid in years but I probably should see how much it's changed since the early 2010s. Do they still make you do... the thing... with the pillow in the tutorial?

Nope, that story is completely gone.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Any strong suggestions?

Not management/simulation but I'd definitely look into some coffee break roguelikes. Would be good for this I'd think

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wayward will play on just about anything, I bet. Might be worth a look.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

how do you level up sneak efficiently? even with inconspicuous, zombies are still turning and seeing me no problem when i've only got a few points in my attempt with that pack

There used to be a tactic where you set off a car alarm and run a few screens away and hide, then sneak around just out of aggro range of the horde

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord

BrianRx posted:

Okay I’m really curious what this is

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m guessing smother a family member or something for edge’s sake

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

buglord posted:

Okay I’m really curious what this is

Popoto posted:

I’m guessing smother a family member or something for edge’s sake

Yep

Project Zomboid wiki posted:

Prior to the removal of NPCs post 0.2.0r, the pillow could be used to smother Bob's wife, Kate. This was a way for the player to skip the tutorial.

This feature is expected to return with the addition of NPCs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
:chloe:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You could also, you know. Not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Any strong suggestions?

you mention graveyard keeper, have you thought about just stardew valley?