Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So often when I'm sent out to do work on a customer's phone system, it's stashed away in some dank corner of a utility room somewhere, so it was nice find one that was easily accessible, well-lit, and and even had convenient nearby seating for when you need to plug in and do some work on it with your laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Livin' the dream.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Oh cool you got to visit a log cabin"
[scrolls down]
"A different type of log cabin I guess"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When you're backlogged, flush the cache.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

When you're backlogged, flush the cache.

mods: new thread title pls

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

nexxai posted:

mods: new thread title pls

That or something about flushing the logs

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

> [SPAM] FW: RE: The logs could do with a courtesy flush

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geemer posted:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

As long as we retain the [SPAM] FW: RE: I love it

e: this thread is getting old, do we want a new one?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We haven’t even hit 666 pages yet

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Geemer posted:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

We haven’t even hit 666 pages yet

Fair, no rush to send this to the Goldmine

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Geemer posted:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Geemer posted:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Changed!

Thanks for the reminder. I was away from my computer when the new title was being discussed the other day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geemer posted:

edit: goddammit. Too slow.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:blush:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm sure you've already checked this, but the last time I had a scenario like this, it was because of some VPN chicanery going on and the VPN IPs didn't geolocate correctly.

There was also the time where the end user's location used outbound IP whitelisting and they picked a regional anycast from their pool that was on the other end of the world and only used that one.

This is a global deployment of portable devices that call home for updates. So no VPNs. And IPs are theoretically assigned by geolocation so it could be the issue, but first I’d have to convince the customer that it could somehow be their fault. But that’s require pushing through a layer of ownership-avoidance thicker than the Earth’s crust.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I've got a technician scheduled to go out to a client site to be my on-site proxy for the next few days. I had everything scheduled and approved by the site. He was supposed to be there at 3:00 today.

A text came in:

quote:

I don't know how I mixed this up but I won't be landing until 7:00

How? It says the landing time on your ticket. How do you get 3:00 out of that?

Now I get to spend the next few hours rearranging the whole itinerary to still fit in everything we need to do.

Speaking of, I'm up to my neck with multiple projects that all have to be worked in addition to this onsite work and I barely have enough time to breathe. I pulled nearly 70 hours last week just prepping and coordinating.

Today, one of the directors pulls me into a surprise meeting with the service desk to tell us that they're behind (our T2 tech quit last week) and we all need to chip in to help cover a thing that could have been an email from the beginning (training users on how to connect to a new RDP server). He also wants me to call this site with the most complicated and busted server and print setup you could possibly conceive and help test printing on why it works on some desktops in this one 20 year old program and not others.

I straight up told him no.

For one, I'm too busy to do any sort of exploratory troubleshooting for anything. I've got 4 concurrent onboardings, including coordinating and supervising two fiber cutovers, a VOIP migration, and an MSP service transition, not to mention the actual onsite onboarding I'm focused on. Secondly, I specifically told him on three separate occasions that I will not be doing any service desk work that isn't directly related to my current onboarding clients prior to them being handed off to helpdesk for support. I'm not getting pulled back into service desk. Not no way, not no how.

Anyways, apparently being told "no" wasn't an option and he got mad, but so what? I've got way too many irons in the fire to do helpdesk's work for them.

I refuse to be taken advantage of ever again :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Big loving hell yes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not really possible to create this situation while also being a decent place to work at, but companies getting into a position where people bounce out after a few years would hopefully make them build actual processes rather than making select members of staff load bearing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not really possible to create this situation while also being a decent place to work at, but companies getting into a position where people bounce out after a few years would hopefully make them build actual processes rather than making select members of staff load bearing.

I just read this on another site:

quote:

The way people choose jobs is just insane

The typical employment lifecycle of an engineer is:
* Get frustrated by the current company culture and/or benefits,
* let this frustration sit for way too long,
* snap

choose a random company whose recruiter just happened to reach out,
*join there,
*and repeat the cycle all over again.

This is why recruiters are constantly reaching out at random – they now they will finally get somebody in the right state of mind who is ready to accept any job with a paycheck. Please be more deliberate!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is what I'm desperately trying to spearhead at this place. We need documented processes and procedures for just about everything. I make it a personal policy everywhere I work that as soon as possible I get some documentation in place so that any single person could step in at any point and do my job by just following what I've documented.

The problem is, we're a really small team: ~10 employees, including the owner. So when our one person that we have dedicated to T2 escalations and backup monitoring quits, we have this weird power vacuum where we're trying to fill the void that person left and it just stretches the rest of us thinner and thinner every time. This team has nearly completely changed three times since I've been here and I'm the holder of tribal knowledge at this point and it's something I'm trying really hard to get out of my head and into our knowledgebase. Every time an employee leaves, we scramble for weeks until we get about a week of stability before someone else quits. We're constantly in "all hands on deck" mode and it is SO EXHAUSTING after a solid year and a half of this.

But at the same time, I need to feel like my promotions are actual promotions instead of just lumping more responsibility on me while also requiring me to do what I used to do at the same time. I've been doing this for 15 years now and every move feels like it's two steps forward and one step back. I was the director of IT for a school district before this. I led a team (for a time). I managed purchasing, budgets, schedules, workflows, projects... a lot. Getting busted down to tech (despite the pay) hurt a lot and I'm finally getting out of there. I'm not going back. I'm moving towards management and If they don't get that through their head, they're going to lose me, too.

All I've got to do is flip that "Open to" switch on LinkedIn.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TBH you should flip it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

larchesdanrew posted:

... I'm moving towards management and If they don't get that through their head, they're going to lose me, too.

All I've got to do is flip that "Open to" switch on LinkedIn.

:sever:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

Building processes is expensive, watching people burn out and quit in a huff is easy. :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Honestly, don't ever unflip that switch.

I'm happy where I'm at, but always keeping an eye on what's out there. I've noticed that people who do what I do are retiring faster. The posts are coming more frequently and with higher numbers attached. The average age of people like me is over 60, and I'm only mid 40s.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last two folks I talked to didn't tell me the job was contract until after the phone interview. Yeah, who the gently caress wants contract work in todays world.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

GreenNight posted:

Last two folks I talked to didn't tell me the job was contract until after the phone interview. Yeah, who the gently caress wants contract work in todays world.

i wouldn't hate it if the job/pay was right and it was at least 6 months guaranteed, as that gives me enough time to cool down from job hunting mode before ramping up again

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
PROTIP, if an interview process goes on for more than a month, regardless of external events like holidays, it’s not a job you want and you’re getting your time wasted. Even if you do get hired, now you’re the person they deliberated on for an entire fiscal quarter. Great for the confidence, eh?

It’s no longer an employers’ market. Demonstrate your worth and don’t let the bastards make you feel lesser.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

I'm about 5-10 years out from bouncing contract to contract based on the attractiveness of the project and location. That being said, anything less than 6 months is "we're hosed right now and can only afford someone long enough to fix the shitstorm we're currently stuck in"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

PROTIP, if an interview process goes on for more than a month, regardless of external events like holidays, it’s not a job you want and you’re getting your time wasted.

I don't know about that. If a large company can get you in the door in 2-3 weeks I'm impressed

Weedle
May 31, 2006

All Users accidentally got cc'ed on the secret valentine's day party planning email chain and now someone is frantically recalling all the messages from everyone's mailbox while someone else keeps blasting them out

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know about you, but when I think of work I think of "secret Valentine's Day party."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i mean, the planning was supposed to be secret, not the party itself. and by "party" i mean goodie bags and like some sort of cookies and punch thing after school. they really try

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

For one, I'm too busy to do any sort of exploratory troubleshooting for anything. I've got 4 concurrent onboardings, including coordinating and supervising two fiber cutovers, a VOIP migration, and an MSP service transition, not to mention the actual onsite onboarding I'm focused on. Secondly, I specifically told him on three separate occasions that I will not be doing any service desk work that isn't directly related to my current onboarding clients prior to them being handed off to helpdesk for support. I'm not getting pulled back into service desk. Not no way, not no how.

Anyways, apparently being told "no" wasn't an option and he got mad, but so what? I've got way too many irons in the fire to do helpdesk's work for them.

I refuse to be taken advantage of ever again :colbert:

Good on you standing up for yourself!

Have you considered starting a small, local business? It seems like you basically have the organizational/training part of all the jobs you've been at down pat; its just that you get overwhelmed and overelied upon instead of cut loose and given reign to bring people up to your level?

I'm thinking you might have some good luck reaching out with/networking to the good helpdesk techs(if any) that you've worked with in the past.

At this point its almost a value-add for you to be able to follow up "no, I won't work helpdesk " with "But I know three to four people that I've worked with in the past, trained up to my standards, and would love to contract out on a temp basis. Here's whats its going to cost, and since I'm already on OT that shouldn't be an issue"

Or, rephrased: you're already a one person rockstar player; and hit the point in your career where the only way to get more work-hours out of a day is to have a secretary freeing up time taken by all the little things.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Starting a small business has crossed my mind once or twice but I’ve never really had any interest in running my own business. I just want to slide into a cushy position somewhere and fly under the radar forever.

Also the switch has been flipped and I immediately got notified of a position opening up at a college for an IT Director position that is exactly what I was doing at my previous job for a 300% pay raise and an actual department (with employees!) to run.

Definitely applying. Wish me luck :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah! Get that cheddar and gtfo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like you'll be the perfect fit for the role. Get in there and document the gently caress out of their processes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

Starting a small business has crossed my mind once or twice but I’ve never really had any interest in running my own business. I just want to slide into a cushy position somewhere and fly under the radar forever.

Also the switch has been flipped and I immediately got notified of a position opening up at a college for an IT Director position that is exactly what I was doing at my previous job for a 300% pay raise and an actual department (with employees!) to run.

Definitely applying. Wish me luck :ohdear:

I think I know the position, and if you are interviewing with Joe he's a pretty nice guy.