Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tobey is what I grew up with but rewatching those movies he just... wasn't amazing. His acting was really flat, his skill as an actor just can't compete with Holland or even Garfield (though not Garfield in ASM, but in other movies? He shows his range and skills)

The Raimi movies were held up by being unique and the time and having actually fairly alright plot structure for the first two. Tobey isn't the defining feature of the movies, he's not some star power that makes it stand out.

I'd honestly say Tobey was the weakest of the three Spiders in No Way Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is a fun movie of action figures getting smashed together with no real plot with characters acting like idiots but it’s fine because everyone likes the actors so much and it’s fanservice, the movie.

It’s not a good movie, but it’s fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Adrianics posted:

Generally, both the writing of Peter 3 and Garfield's performances in the role are hella good. They were on the cusp of something really great with the idea of a Spider-Man who is impulsive, hyperactive and arrogant (he doesn't even seem to change all that much after Uncle Ben's death), before learning the standard Spider-Man lesson of "I can either be Peter Parker or Spider-Man, but never both, otherwise those I love will be in danger" in the most horrible and brutal way possible, at a time when he's nowhere near emotionally intelligent or mature enough to deal with it. They even give him a warning shot in Captain Stacey's death and dying words to him, which he proceeds to ignore, and directly leads to Gwen's death.

It's why it's a drat shame they made the baffling decision to cut straight to six months later when he's cracking wise at Paul Giamatti screaming in a Russian accent, making it look like he's not in the least bit bothered about Gwen dying, and also why Peter 3 saying in NWH that in the intervening years he stopped pulling his punches because he didn't know how to deal with the trauma works as well as it does.

Though I'm amused by the idea of that Peter still being a quippy goofball despite being in his dangerous edgelord phase. Well, see also Spider-man 3.

Funny thing is the emphasis on curing/helping the villains does feel like something nearly all incarnations of Peter Parker would be down to do, but rarely are given the opportunity by the narrative to actually pull off. Weirdly, made me think some versions of Batman; both BTAS and The Batman had some recurring villains deal with their conditions and sometimes actually get cured and treated, and Batman checks up on them on occasionally to make sure they haven't relapsed and/or to consult with them on similar issues down the track.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Fun movie - felt more like closure to the past ~20 years of superhero movies and the MCU than Endgame to me. I like the idea that all the marvel insanity was itself just the foundation of your friendly neighborhood spiderman.

Could've gone for a better score and definitely more spider-man theme song/music but still, I never expected any kind of closure to the cultural phenom of superhero films and it feels great getting one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KittyEmpress posted:

Tobey is what I grew up with but rewatching those movies he just... wasn't amazing. His acting was really flat, his skill as an actor just can't compete with Holland or even Garfield (though not Garfield in ASM, but in other movies? He shows his range and skills)

The Raimi movies were held up by being unique and the time and having actually fairly alright plot structure for the first two. Tobey isn't the defining feature of the movies, he's not some star power that makes it stand out.

He (rightly) did not give a poo poo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the holland movies feel like big budget sitcoms but tbf it's kinda cheating because it's spiderman and everyone wants to see spiderman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean when Spider-man isn't the comic book soap opera it's def a sitcom.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The tone of the Holland Spider-Man movies is also completely out of wack because Holland has already helped save the entire universe before his 2nd & 3rd films even happen. Tobey and Andrew both get to grow up in their own universe and become their own heroes telling their own stories, so each movie got to decide what it wanted to be. The Spider-Man trilogy of 2016 & beyond has always been suffocated by the Avengers baggage, and as a result the films really lack any kind of consistency to tie them together. It’s why so many of us felt the Aunt May whiplash, it’s basically the only serious moment in like 9 hours of Spider-Man films, but played completely straight when absolutely nothing else is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I getcha, I do feel it oddly works when you get the other Peters Parker showing up and immediately bonding with Holland Peter over their shared trauma from their own movies. (And the Gwen Stacy death apparently was seen much the same- a surprisingly serious and well-accomplished tragic moment of an otherwise pretty crappy pair of movies)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've never seen the ASM flicks and Garfield's story still worked for me. He had a nice, neat, complete little arc here and I quite enjoyed it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He was the perfect Middle Ground between Tobey and Tom, I thought. Cooler and more adult and self-aware than Tom, but still deeply internally conflicted and insecure, the way most 27 year olds tend to feel even when they didn’t accidentally kill their own girlfriend fighting an electric ghost

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Honest Thief posted:

the holland movies feel like big budget sitcoms but tbf it's kinda cheating because it's spiderman and everyone wants to see spiderman

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He (rightly) did not give a poo poo.

I know there's a school of thought where you bring your A game no matter how mean the project, but I think to try in something like this is kind of an insult to the craft, and possibly to whatever remains of the human spirit in these late days.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 25, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We are all JJJ deep down.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I getcha, I do feel it oddly works when you get the other Peters Parker showing up and immediately bonding with Holland Peter over their shared trauma from their own movies. (And the Gwen Stacy death apparently was seen much the same- a surprisingly serious and well-accomplished tragic moment of an otherwise pretty crappy pair of movies)

that scene in particular got me thinking if Webb wasnt unlucky to be in the middle of blockbuster movies transitioning from a creative team or directors project to disney's formula of social media reactive movie making. cause that gwen stacy scene feels out of an entirely different movie, and a lot of what garfield does with peter, his arrogance, mean spiritedness etc.. could have worked if they didnt had to cram so many setup plots

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I know there's a school of thought where you bring your A game no matter how mean the project, but I think to try in something like this is kind of an insult to the craft, and possibly to whatever remains of the human spirit in these late days.

Maguire is a gigantic prick IRL and it would have been unnatural for this 40-something man to turn on the boyish charm like he's been happy-go-lucky since 2004 or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tobey Peter is basically the Peter B Parker of this movie, I've said.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

For me the vibe was just that this is an older, calmer dude. He's Spider-Dad. He's probably had a ton more immesurable losses, because that's what happens to Spider-Man, but he's also probably settled down and had kids and whatever else. I thought his performance worked well, and having him quippin' with the kids would have felt weird. In a way it's also like putting this character from the pre-irony blockbuster days where films weren't all completely self aware and tried to be earnest into a film where every line of dialogue wants you to know that it knows how absurd it all is.

Considering the film itself is just a Disneyland fanservicey ride, I thought the bit where Raimi Spiderman meets Doc Ock and it's just like two grown men catching up after 20 years a surprisingly touching moment . But it being a Disney Marvel film, any kind of scene can only last just barely long enough to nod something towards the audience, and not long enough to actually dig into anything interesting.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The Peter 2/Doc Ock moment was one of my favourites too, welled up like a big baby when the Elfman score came on. I thought the "trying to do better" callback was neat.

As much as I liked Electro and Peter 3 interacting again, I thought that in general Electro did nothing interesting with his new powers and took being depowered way too well. As overwhelmingly stupid as the Dubstep Spider-Man scene is in ASM2, at least they had a decent crack at showing what Electro would be capable of and made it clear Spider-Man was getting his rear end kicked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I can’t believe the vaunted black and gold suit that saw a lot of merch/publicity is just the other suit inside out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That made me laugh. Really squeezing for some toys there.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Garfield Spider Man catching MJ safely was such a poignant redemptive moment I really couldn't help myself but shout out in joy at the sight of it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I'm amused by the idea of that Peter still being a quippy goofball despite being in his dangerous edgelord phase. Well, see also Spider-man 3.

Funny thing is the emphasis on curing/helping the villains does feel like something nearly all incarnations of Peter Parker would be down to do, but rarely are given the opportunity by the narrative to actually pull off. Weirdly, made me think some versions of Batman; both BTAS and The Batman had some recurring villains deal with their conditions and sometimes actually get cured and treated, and Batman checks up on them on occasionally to make sure they haven't relapsed and/or to consult with them on similar issues down the track.

YES, Exactly, this is something I think all the movies kinda miss, that I think is a really good part of his character. Like they highlight the "Batman is just the same as a villain!!!" Thing, but they don't really touch on the "he sees them as the same as him" bit, which is quite a touching angle.

Like the fact that when they do Dr. Light dirty for being a goddamn rapist, Zatanna hides it from Batman, because they know he wouldn't condone turning someone into a vegetable, even if they are a rapist. It's like a pretty core part of who he is.

(I also think it's kinda weird that in the Teen Titans show, Dr. Light post lobotomy is a main character, only it's never addressed why he's "such a kook", I don't think?)

!Klams fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 1, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That was something I loved about Spider-Man as a kid. All of the villains were scientists, basically, except Scorpion and Rhino, so Peter really had to think on his feet because they were all geniuses.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Shocker was sort of a genius, I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vulture could've cured cancer if he wasn't so obsessed with flying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gaius Marius posted:

Vulture could've cured cancer if he wasn't so obsessed with flying.

Yes, it's a running gag that pretty much all of Spider-Man's foes don't need to do crime, they are skilled enough in biotech/materials science to make a killing and absolutely transform society. But, you know *cue that panel of "but I want to turn people into dinosaurs"*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

!Klams posted:

YES, Exactly, this is something I think all the movies kinda miss, that I think is a really good part of his character. Like they highlight the "Batman is just the same as a villain!!!" Thing, but they don't really touch on the "he sees them as the same as him" bit, which is quite a touching angle.

Like the fact that when they do Dr. Light dirty for being a goddamn rapist, Zatanna hides it from Batman, because they know he wouldn't condone turning someone into a vegetable, even if they are a rapist. It's like a pretty core part of who he is.

(I also think it's kinda weird that in the Teen Titans show, Dr. Light post lobotomy is a main character, only it's never addressed why he's "such a kook", I don't think?)

If I recall correctly, Identity Crisis didn't start and have that reveal until a year after Teen Titans started airing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's kind of laughable how quickly I think Tom Holland's Spider-Man could dispatch Woody Harrelson's Carnage.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, it's a running gag that pretty much all of Spider-Man's foes don't need to do crime, they are skilled enough in biotech/materials science to make a killing and absolutely transform society. But, you know *cue that panel of "but I want to turn people into dinosaurs"*

didn't Osborne accuse Peter of being a slacker and not fulfilling his ambition and Parker basically called him on his bullshit basically saying he could of solved a bunch of worlds problems if he wasn't a power obsessed monster?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Roth posted:

If I recall correctly, Identity Crisis didn't start and have that reveal until a year after Teen Titans started airing.

Correct, the first Teen Titans episode featuring Dr. Light aired in 2003. Identity Crisis didn't start until 2004. The TT version was just a play on the goofy bumbling 80s Light.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hazo posted:

Correct, the first Teen Titans episode featuring Dr. Light aired in 2003. Identity Crisis didn't start until 2004. The TT version was just a play on the goofy bumbling 80s Light.

And was the one who got thoroughly violated by an out of control Raven to the point of instantly surrendering the next time he saw her.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Bust Rodd posted:

That was something I loved about Spider-Man as a kid. All of the villains were scientists, basically, except Scorpion and Rhino, so Peter really had to think on his feet because they were all geniuses.

There's a Flowers for Algernon type story where the Rhino gets injected with a serum that increases his intelligence. He beats spiderman easily, becomes a crime kingpin, but then turns good for a while / goes through a bit of an existential crisis. Drugs wear out though and he regresses, and ends up just enjoying life as the Rhino crashing through walls and robbing banks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hazo posted:

Ah, ok, I came across them in reverse order and it always felt super weird

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Goffer posted:

There's a Flowers for Algernon type story where the Rhino gets injected with a serum that increases his intelligence. He beats spiderman easily, becomes a crime kingpin, but then turns good for a while / goes through a bit of an existential crisis. Drugs wear out though and he regresses, and ends up just enjoying life as the Rhino crashing through walls and robbing banks.

Its more than that, he reverses it himself and specifically requests to be made even dumber.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Adrianics posted:

The Peter 2/Doc Ock moment was one of my favourites too, welled up like a big baby when the Elfman score came on. I thought the "trying to do better" callback was neat.

As much as I liked Electro and Peter 3 interacting again, I thought that in general Electro did nothing interesting with his new powers and took being depowered way too well. As overwhelmingly stupid as the Dubstep Spider-Man scene is in ASM2, at least they had a decent crack at showing what Electro would be capable of and made it clear Spider-Man was getting his rear end kicked.

I think Electro was still psyched that he turned out to be Jamie Foxx.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

3.5/5, with a full point being that bit where Dafoe is grinning manically whilst being pounded in the face.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I watched this movie and it was pretty fun, but I have to say tom holland does seem like a little bitch compared to his older selves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

didn't Osborne accuse Peter of being a slacker and not fulfilling his ambition and Parker basically called him on his bullshit basically saying he could of solved a bunch of worlds problems if he wasn't a power obsessed monster?

I'm not up to speed on the comics, but in Spider-Man 2, Octavius says that Dr. Connors told him that Peter was "brilliant but lazy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

I'm not up to speed on the comics, but in Spider-Man 2, Octavius says that Dr. Connors told him that Peter was "brilliant but lazy."

It's a little unclear in the film whether Peter is actually lazy with regards to his studies, or this is just how it looks to his professors because he's trying to balance his study life, work life, romantic life and spider-man life and it's not working out.