Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

CGI Stardust posted:

what have you been giving them

This has just reminded me that the spiders on drugs video exists and everything is a bit brighter .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The caffeine web is the best.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Heartening to see that marijuanas "mostly good enough, it's not like you're getting paid for quality" status is cross-species

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We had a white xmas just this most recent one.

I'm not sure how that disagrees with anything twisto just said.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1482671875452977154?t=ifd3rlyA5dei0KFdB8RhqQ&s=19

Tardy Keith Strikes Again

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought fried chicken was a Jewish diaspora cuisine.

I think it's an idea invented in a number of places independently, to be honest. 'Take chicken, dust it in flour, boil it in oil and it'll probably be nice' is an easy conclusion to jump to.

Wikipedia claims the Scottish were the first Europeans to try it, which, well, tracks. Wiki also claims the enslaved/Nigerian element was mostly the spice mix.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

feedmegin posted:

I think it's an idea invented in a number of places independently, to be honest. 'Take chicken, dust it in flour, boil it in oil and it'll probably be nice' is an easy conclusion to jump to.

Wikipedia claims the Scottish were the first Europeans to try it, which, well, tracks. Wiki also claims the enslaved/Nigerian element was mostly the spice mix.

When I was dating a Canadian girl and visited her family one time, we went to a local Hungarian Hall and the diaspora community gathered to have chicken and mashed potatoes, and few beers. It was great. I ate so much.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wes is, of course, entirely correct on this.
If we made Tory MPs stand up in defense of the Prime Minister we'd force them to say things in a public arena that could then be used to criticise them in future.
This, of course, is entirely wrong, because [decorum].

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its not that simple, as we saw with the no confidence motion in May. It is inadvisable to call for a motion of no confidence now while the knives are out for Boris because Tories don't want a chance of losing their seat, they just want Boris out.

They don't need to stand up and defend him, they didn't for May. They loving roasted her for days and then still voted in confidence.

Its a distraction from getting rid of Boris, and given what Nadine loving Dorries is up to we want him out asap so we can get her replaced.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Starmer needs Johnson to stay put because every indication suggests that the poll lead Labour is currently enjoying will disappear in a week once a new Tory leader stands up and says they've drawn a line under the shameful leadership of the former Prime Minister. The British public are malleable enough to fall for it. Liberal blue ticks are already talking about how once Boris is gone things can get back to competent normality.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

BBC licence fee to be abolished in 2027 and funding frozen

She also said this would be the end of the current licence fee funding model for the BBC, raising doubts about the long-term future of the public broadcaster under a Conservative government.
x

Being a Tory mouthpiece really paid off :lol:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's an interesting example of cultural osmosis/selection bias when people (outside of Scotland and the higher parts of England and Wales) are surprised by a lack of snow in December and early January. Seasons in the British Isles are like a month or more behind those on big landmasses because of the Gulf Stream - white christmases have always been the exception rather than the rule *even in areas that see a lot of snow*. Almost all of the worst, country-shutting-down snowfall has come in January and February, sometimes even in March and April.

We just all believe that snow comes in December because Prince Albert and Bing Crosby, both born in the middle of massive, cold continents, told us it does and because most of us remember one time that it did, then get completely blindsided when snowmaggeden happens nearer to Easter than Yule.

It snowed at Christmas frequently for a brief period in the 19th century that included Charles Dicken's childhood.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is it better for a weak boris to limp along to the next election, with him being more likely to be cowed by nutcase brexiteers, or a new guy/gal in so they can go turbo austerity 2.0 but potentially start dropping poll numbers by the next election

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Prole posted:

Starmer needs Johnson to stay put because every indication suggests that the poll lead Labour is currently enjoying will disappear in a week once a new Tory leader stands up and says they've drawn a line under the shameful leadership of the former Prime Minister. The British public are malleable enough to fall for it. Liberal blue ticks are already talking about how once Boris is gone things can get back to competent normality.

If you accept this as true then you surely need the new leader in place as soon as possible so the sheen can come off before the next election rather than let them come in, call an election immediately and sell themselves as a new approach like Boris himself did in 2019

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Much though I’d like to see Johnson go, the joy would be short lived. I was happy to see the back of Cameron and May too, but with each successor it’s been a real monkey-paw situation. A Sunak would be popular, competent(ly evil), and probably much worse on any sort of public investment.

If only one party leader were to be replaced before the next GE, I’d much prefer Starmer to go over Johnson.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So our culture secretary (lol) has just announced that she's freezing BBC funding for 2 years and is going to be scrapping the license fee altogether by 2027. The BBC is being blamed for the 'leftie attacks on Boris', despite the stories being broken by anyone other than the BBC.

I won't link to the DM article, but it looks like the culture war is stepping up a gear.

e: oops, I should have refreshed before posting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prole posted:

At the same time nearly another three years of Johnson isn't something I'm particularly keen about (despite the alternatives being potentially worse).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Boris is launching 'Operation Red Meat' to help boost 'Operation Save Big Dog'

This is the plan to win back the hearts and minds of the people:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Halisnacks posted:

Much though I’d like to see Johnson go, the joy would be short lived. I was happy to see the back of Cameron and May too, but with each successor it’s been a real monkey-paw situation. A Sunak would be popular, competent(ly evil), and probably much worse on any sort of public investment.

If only one party leader were to be replaced before the next GE, I’d much prefer Starmer to go over Johnson.

I reckon Sunak will be caught up in this xmas party business as soon as he floats himself as a replacement. The line will be "He lives next door to the PM, are we seriously meant to believe he knew nothing of these parties?! Clearly he kept this info from the public for the benefit of his own career." No. The headbangers will win this round too and the new PM will be Priti Patel. She's removed enough from all this to be a fresh face, plus her law and order rhetoric will fly with the base.

If this is the case, expect a referendum on the death penalty to be one of her pledges for a 2023 GE.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Absolutely mental poo poo with lifting covid restrictions, but I guess the tories are content that we're all ready to die and not care

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
'Send military to torpedo refugees' and 'let corona take the wheel yolo' are sure to go down a storm, to be fair

Because this island craves death, positively thirsts for it

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Do you ever get the feeling that we're living through the last days of a dying system? It's insane. Nobody seems to have any kind of care for life - it's all about preservation of careers. Short term victory. Like they don't *expect* much in the long term.

Exciting and worrisome.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the same mental virus that crows about Australia stopping the boats through concentration camps until a bread touching millionaire manbaby gets caught up in it in which case he's a freedom hero.

https://twitter.com/WabziS/status/1481996000407560192

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Prole posted:

Do you ever get the feeling that we're living through the last days of a dying system? It's insane. Nobody seems to have any kind of care for life - it's all about preservation of careers. Short term victory. Like they don't *expect* much in the long term.
Mate I was turned into Mister Jester-Man (Batman's friend) when I had my milk snatched. Which is a long way of saying Yes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Prole posted:

Exciting and worrisome.

Every waking hour, and many non waking ones too

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prole posted:

Exciting and worrisome.

Mate we live in a Fromsoft game and are governed by the NPC's that steal humanity.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1482679208795344901?s=19

Looks like all that coping for Boris didn't work out like they thought.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Prole posted:

Exciting and worrisome.

The political/media system is completely dysfunctional broken and has been since at least 2010 (probably since... Iraq? Diana? Depending on how historical materialist you want to be ofc but just tracking this particular degradation that produced our journalist-pm who does nothing and says anything) and it will continue to get worse until it's so bad it collapses or gets reformed, whichever comes first.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Frogs eternally shocked - shocked, I tell you - at scorpions

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

josh04 posted:

The political/media system is completely dysfunctional broken and has been since at least 2010 (probably since... Iraq? Diana? Depending on how historical materialist you want to be ofc but just tracking this particular degradation that produced our journalist-pm who does nothing and says anything) and it will continue to get worse until it's so bad it collapses or gets reformed, whichever comes first.

It's been poo poo forever, we just have the technology to watch it be poo poo in real time rather than a decade after the fact.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

josh04 posted:

The political/media system is completely dysfunctional broken and has been since at least 2010 (probably since... Iraq? Diana?

We warned y'all back in the 18th century. Of course clearly we didn't listen to our own advice and decided a Baron Harkonnen is even better than a King George.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm still hopeful that nice jeremy corbyn man will get in and we'll have good working conditions and public investment and proper schemes for the young people to go to

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

'Send military to torpedo refugees' and 'let corona take the wheel yolo' are sure to go down a storm, to be fair

Because this island craves death, positively thirsts for it
Only Trust Your Respirator! The State Will Never Help You!

Prole posted:

Exciting and worrisome.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

1) Why Streeting and not Keith? Is this part of the media rise of the McShitter?

2) Watch all of the Labour melts abstain because 'now is not the time.'

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

Only Trust Your Respirator! The State Will Never Help You!

:hai:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sinky posted:

x

Being a Tory mouthpiece really paid off :lol:
already extremely excited to see how Keith "wet eggs" Smithers flubs his response to "if Labour win the next election, will you save the BBC?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TACD posted:

already extremely excited to see how Keith "wet eggs" Smithers flubs his response to "if Labour win the next election, will you save the BBC?"

It's a loving good play from the Tories because now nobody likes the BBC, so they're going to make Keith not only defend something so widely hated from both sides, but now has to pledge to make people pay more money to keep it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The TV licence does feel outdated and a regressive tax, like the radio licence and dog licence and so on, it ought to have been managed from general taxation long ago.

Is there a case for "we will rebuilt a world class national broadcaster without the licence fee"? Yeah. Can kieth make it?

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Hard to find sympathy for the BBC thing tbh. I believe every democratic society should have a public service broadcaster but Britain isn't really a democratic society anymore and the BBC sure as poo poo isn't broadcasting in the public interest.

As usual, my assertion that things will have to degrade to a greater extent before anything of worth can replace the systems we have now remains intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well they did it, they made the BBC so hated nobody will really mind when it's taken apart and sold to the yanks.