Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's not a good advertisement for your product if your pizza turns out looking like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This travesty deserves to be seen, not hide its shamefulness at the end of a page

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mmmmm yeah gimme that tender-middle pizza

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Looks like a pound cake.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sad that a once prominent cabana company thought they could make a fast buck in pizza shortening.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dear God the recipe for the 'crust'.
Cophra is vegetable shortening (crisco).
The only other ingredients are eggs, milk, and instant potato flakes.

You basically make a custard from those and let it set and then dump tomato sauce and anchovies on

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh god that's Palmin, hardened and ~100% saturated coconut oil. Real Italian indeed.
My parents bought that stuff in kilo blocks as frying oil :ohdear:
Even as that, stuff tasted funny but apparently it was so claggy it didn't sizzle/splash onto your skin or something.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 16, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My "Not a Cophraphile" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions answered by my "Not a Cophraphile" t-shirt

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

what's that weird high-pitched "Oh no / Oh no / Oh no no no no" song that all the TikTok kids use? Because I immediately started hearing that when I saw this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like they're following a pizza recipe from 500 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6XvMKdD2tY

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

someone make this

someone make this and post it

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

WonkyBob posted:

"A piece by the lesser known artist Salvador Dalivery"

I’m halfway down a bottle of Calvet Prestige right now and that looks extremely tempting.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Five whole slices of olive on half the pie, very bold direction with the toppings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can't overwhelm the strategically placed microdosed cheese

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

someone make this

mods? advocating self harm?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Back when cheese cost extra

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Can't overwhelm the strategically placed microdosed cheese

Marketing guy: "I don't know, man. Cheese on a pizza?"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

someone make this

I would, because I'm on a homemade pizza kick and I'm making one later today, but it calls for self-rising flour and potato flakes and other things I don't want to buy. Also this recipe sounds gross

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure this is a "sure, you could" kind of thing

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Captain Hygiene posted:

covered in nice garbage bags I see :hmmyes:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

it's a dumb gimmick presentation but probably tastes fine... unlike Wet Pizza Sewer Box which I've seen a dozen times by now and still can't understand what's even happening :psyduck:

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Captain Hygiene posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/leopoldofurtado/status/1476514933424766982

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Once again I'm very tempted to change my name to STEVE PIZZA with those crabs as my av

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

someone make this

the mise en place is prepared

dinner is going to be interesting tonight

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Where is the claggy coconut shortening? Is it the silver tub? Did you have to buy that from some guys trunk at the Home Depot parking lot? Are you sure it is sufficiently claggy for the demands of the recipe ?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fartzilla posted:

Hell yeah, I salute/preemptively mourn you :patriot:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

fartzilla posted:

Can’t wait for the update. If you don’t post the results I’m going to recommend a mod challenge

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

shadow puppet of a posted:

Where is the claggy coconut shortening? Is it the silver tub? Did you have to buy that from some guys trunk at the Home Depot parking lot? Are you sure it is sufficiently claggy for the demands of the recipe ?

I am making do with Crisco. I looked up Copha and I doubt I'll be able to get it, at least on short notice. So unfortunately this isn't going to be authentic Italian pizza, I hope you all will forgive me :italy:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fartzilla posted:

:f5:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
With the Copha (Copha!) Cophacabana (Cophacabana!)
The pizza oven north of Havana (Ah!)
With the Copha (Copha!) Cophacabana
Shortening and passion were made pizza fashion
With the Copha I fell in love

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

fartzilla posted:

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Sorry for keeping you all waiting, I didn't have any cheese. Actually that isn't true, I have some fresh mozzarella, and I went back and forth on whether I should waste it on this or not. After thinking about it, I realized the sad flakes of cheese are an integral part of the dish, and lord knows it has enough saturated fat already. So I went to the store.

Some substitutions: Crisco instead of Copha, and I don't eat meat so pepperoncini peppers instead of anchovies. Hopefully I'm not bastardizing this classic of Italian cuisine too much with these subs.

Sorry for the photos, the light is terrible in this part of my apartment.

Anyway first here's the sauce. Nothing exciting, just a few small chopped whole tomatoes and a ton of tomato paste. Salt and herbs. No pepper, garlic, onions, or anything remotely interesting. It tastes vaguely tart, with a light aluminum aftertaste. Cooking it longer might have helped, but the recipe says 3 minutes of heating. I genuinely have no idea why, it didn't seem to do anything. I have nothing good or bad to say about it.

Oh hey, mashed potatoes. Who doesn't like mashed potatoes? Not a fan of the boxed type, but hey sometimes it's good to have in a pinch. I am OK with how things are unfolding so far.

Wait, what are you doing

what are you doing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:ohdear:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Delighted with the added ingredient of future-past body snatcher Samuel Clemens. That will really bring out the authentic Italian flavours of shortening pizza.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
the bad pizza thread has been my favorite thread for some time, but fartzilla is really going the extra mile. Thank you for your contributions, bad pizza comrade. I am so excited to see how this turns out.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
Wow so whoops, something happened and I lost some photos of the mashed potatoes. They look like mashed potatoes, and they tasted like instant mashed potatoes with shortening in them.

There was a terrifying 30 seconds after I mixed in the dry ingredients where I didn't think it would come together, but it did. The instructions said to knead lightly, and I did, and then it looked like a brain.

I added some water and kept kneading. It's smoother now, and I'm going to let it sit and see if the flour feels like doing any gluten development. Honestly I don't blame it if it doesn't want to. It smells like shortbread.

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
So now we're at a crossroads, and I really hate to be that guy that casts doubt on a recipe but I divided the dough into thirds (I halved the recipe, no way in hell am I making six of these loving things) and 1/3 was too thin. Didn't look anything like the puffy, poundcake-like bread in the photo. So what you see below is 2/3 of the dough. There is a remaining third I'll keep off to the side to try later, probably once I switch from wine to cocaine.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

maybe should have kept more of it? I only say that since the OG recipe showed it to be stupidly thick?
Like, I know that's not pizza as WE know it, but nothing else about it really screams 'this is pizza' either. You're still doing the lords work regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

Big Beef City posted:

maybe should have kept more of it? I only say that since the OG recipe showed it to be stupidly thick?
Like, I know that's not pizza as WE know it, but nothing else about it really screams 'this is pizza' either. You're still doing the lords work regardless.

I believe the term is "dummy thicc" and it is not looking good so far, it's mostly staying thin with some huge bubbles in it. I am genuinely fighting with myself over this, there is the food nerd part of my brain that is trying to work through what I could do next time to make this look more like the photo versus the rational part of my brain telling me that this is morally wrong and I could have done something much more productive with my evening like watch a movie or call my parents but no