Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Imagine trying to defend yourself with a bowl of cereal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So many men have been raised with literally no standards about how to treat people, let alone their closest relationships that their entire lives and status supposedly depend on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So many men have been raised with literally no standards about how to treat people, let alone their closest relationships that their entire lives and status supposedly depend on.

so so so true

i sometimes think about how i might have turned out if i wasn't queer and forced to fight for everything where i grew up. i think i might've ended up as some sort of christian libertarian

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And so many of those men then can't even put themselves in someone else's shoes to get the slightest inkling of what someone coming home from an exhausting day at work (who pays all my bills) might want. Cereal LMAO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mediaphage posted:

so so so true

i sometimes think about how i might have turned out if i wasn't queer and forced to fight for everything where i grew up. i think i might've ended up as some sort of christian libertarian

A lot makes sense when you realise these dudes were usually raised with the at least implicit assumption they would have comfort and success handed to them for zero effort, like their boomer parents were, and they have no idea what to do now they haven't gotten it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Imagine trying to defend yourself with a bowl of cereal.
Clevin?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...is this an enforceable contract? Could the MIL take the OP to court for the $25k because she didn't follow through?

This court hereby orders you to set your Facebook relationship status to "it's complicated"

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Holy crap, I had forgotten about SFP :psyduck:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is your aunt dead at the hands of your furious parents?

No. She eventually moved out, got scammed a lot by people on Facebook, moved in with her sons family, moved out again, had a stroke (the family only found out because she posted on Facebook saying she couldn't feel half her face) and then died of a heart attack or something like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beachcomber posted:

No, he's totally boss.

So what's the name of this handsome fellow?

His name is Olivia, because we thought he was a girl when his mom gave birth to him and his sister in our garage.

So the whole story, we had two cats, a stray cat gave birth to twins and raised them in our raspberry bushes, so we let them shelter in our garage until the momma cat (Heather) left them. We brought in Olivia and Pekoe and raised them until they were mature then tried to find them "forever homes". We didn't want to separate the siblings so we gave them to my friend together, but Olivia kept coming back so now we have ALL FOUR

Here's Olivia and his sister Pekoe when they were younger:

Alright, I'll stop talking about my loving cats now, sorry

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I still can’t get over the phrase “make her a bowl of cereal.” I legitimately had to ask myself if a bowl of cereal is something you can “make” in a gramatical sense. “Pour” would work, or “get,” but “make” does not compute for a bowl of cereal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Brawnfire posted:

His name is Olivia, because we thought he was a girl when his mom gave birth to him and his sister in our garage.

So the whole story, we had two cats, a stray cat gave birth to twins and raised them in our raspberry bushes, so we let them shelter in our garage until the momma cat (Heather) left them. We brought in Olivia and Pekoe and raised them until they were mature then tried to find them "forever homes". We didn't want to separate the siblings so we gave them to my friend together, but Olivia kept coming back so now we have ALL FOUR

Here's Olivia and his sister Pekoe when they were younger:

Alright, I'll stop talking about my loving cats now, sorry

Because you unnecessarily apologized for your cats, you have twenty-four hours to post a picture of all four cats hanging out together.

therobit posted:

I still can’t get over the phrase “make her a bowl of cereal.” I legitimately had to ask myself if a bowl of cereal is something you can “make” in a gramatical sense. “Pour” would work, or “get,” but “make” does not compute for a bowl of cereal.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 16, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Because you unnecessarily apologized for your cats, you have twenty-four hours to post a picture of all four cats hanging out together.

It's from two years ago, but I got it!

That'll do pig.

It'll have to, because good luck finding more than two of them in the same room anymore.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 16, 2022

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Brawnfire posted:

It's from two years ago, but I got it!

That'll do pig.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

But why? Why exclude him? There's some missing data here. The obvious solution is gently caress em, but I wonder what dynamics led to this Relationship, especially with the parents backing it up

OP:

quote:

Like I said they have a number disagreements. My family always make comments about his occupation which is in Law enforcement (he's a cop) Ryan always takes those comments as a joke and tries to ignore them but my sister is mainly the one with heavy dislike towards him.

Ohhhhh.

Nah there's definitely something going on there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

OP:

Ohhhhh.

Well that clears it up. From the story it sounded like she was just pushy and the rest of the family was loving with her, but she's the one trying to bring an rear end in a top hat into their lives.

A wedding should be a happy event for the bride and groom, and if they want to exclude children or cops that is their prerogative.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Ohhhhh.

My go to assumption for these situations is the partner is POC and the family is racist. But I guess sometimes they can have a good reason too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

100% support the sister, get hosed OP

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for demanding my fiance pay me back for selling my train collection?

quote:

I(28F) lived with my Aunt and Uncle as my parents could not raise me. My Uncle started collecting trains as a hobby when he was working as an engineer. I took a huge interest in them as a child and teenager. My Uncle gave me his entire train collection when he became sick.

When I turned 19, I moved out and found a nice apartment near my college. I brought the collection with me. Some of my friends thought it was cool, others find it weird. I met my boyfriend in college and he moved in with me after we graduated. We got engaged last year and are currently struggling with debt, student loans and the wedding.

My fiance asked if we could have an expert come into the apartment and price the train collection. I was against the idea and told him that I would not sell the collection as it was a large memory of my Uncle.

My best-friend got engaged this past weekend and a few of us went to celebrate at her parent's lakehouse. I was gone for two nights and when I returned, the train collection was completely gone. My fiance came running over saying that a collector came and gave him a decent price for the set. I started crying and yelling at him that he destroyed my trust and told him to leave the apartment.

He left without protest and has been staying with his parents. I told him that he had to pay me back all the money. I did threaten to sue him as well. His parents are trying to argue that he was only doing what was best for the both of us.

look, stealing your poo poo is what's best for both of us. i get money for selling your stuff *and* you stop paying attention to something that isn't me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wizardofloneliness posted:

My go to assumption for these situations is the partner is POC and the family is racist. But I guess sometimes they can have a good reason too.

Honestly a very nice twist. Sometimes you get a reversal from title expectations in the post, but uncommon is the one whose absence in the OP is suspicious but devastating to their case when finally revealed in a comment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

look, stealing your poo poo is what's best for both of us. i get money for selling your stuff *and* you stop paying attention to something that isn't me

I swear to god this is a near exact gender flip of an earlier one.

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

But why? Why exclude him? There's some missing data here. The obvious solution is gently caress em, but I wonder what dynamics led to this Relationship, especially with the parents backing it up

Because the scapegoat forced the golden child to publicly out herself as a petty bitch...which offends the trash family of enablers.

Honestly, this is just r/relationships 101

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

Shouldn't it be possible to get the collection back? I mean they weren't married so it didn't belong to him, so it's theft, no? If for example a pawn shop buys stolen goods they don't get to keep it, at least in the US. There's a lot of stories like this and I always wonder.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rescue Toaster posted:

Shouldn't it be possible to get the collection back? I mean they weren't married so it didn't belong to him, so it's theft, no? If for example a pawn shop buys stolen goods they don't get to keep it, at least in the US. There's a lot of stories like this and I always wonder.

yeah errybody's telling OP to inform the collector that the trains are stolen property, and call the cops, and she agrees:

quote:

I am definitely going to be contacting the collector. My Aunt is devastated that my fiance sold them. I just have no words for my fiance anymore.

quote:

I have been in contact with a lawyer and will also get police involved. I came back yesterday and it's just been a lot to deal with.

depending on how much the collection was worth, that could be grand theft. :rip: in peace, dipshit ex-fiance

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's this whole category of stories that are: One person sets an explicit boundary, second person agrees, then violates that boundary at the first opportunity, with the excuse of "but I really wanted to."

How do these people get into long-term relationships? It's never "guy I started dating 3 weeks ago" but "fiance" or "spouse of 30 years."

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling my boyfriend the word duvet isn't classist?

quote:

Ok Reddit, I know this is a strange question. Tonight when my boyfriend and I were doing the laundry I asked him to pass me the duvet and he had no clue what I was talking about. He asked if I meant the "big fluffy blanket". And I was like "yeah, the duvet! that's what I meant thanks" And his response was "that's classist" and then proceeded to ask me "what do you put a cup on?" and I responded "a coaster" and he was like, see that's classist too. Like I get not knowing a word. And I politely told him what the word meant... But also I don't think that the word duvet is classist??

So, am I the rear end in a top hat for dying on this hill??

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Your boyfriend has let internet politico poo poo get to his head, only choice now is to put him down cause its only gonna get worse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ask him what single word he would use to describe himself and then correct him that word he is looking for is "single"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I'm dying to know what he calls a coaster.

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?

guy uses cocktail napkins in solidarity with the working class

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Foo Diddley posted:

guy uses paper towel in solidarity with the working class

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
a man so averse to "snobby french" that he can't even use the word guillotine in his diatribes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Barudak posted:

Ask him what single word he would use to describe himself and then correct him that word he is looking for is "single"
:hmmyes:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sisal Two-Step posted:

tell him that if it bothers him so much, he can go sleep in the garage car hole

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm curious how 'decent' the price was. I'm imagining the collector spectacularly lowballed the idiot fiance once they realised he had no idea about trains.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?

The coaster itself is classist, real people put it directly on the table or maybe some junk mail if they’re feeling fancy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

Thanks I was feeling stupider than usual today. It's nice to know that there's still several basements below me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

I'm curious how 'decent' the price was. I'm imagining the collector spectacularly lowballed the idiot fiance once they realised he had no idea about trains.

I don't think there's any reason to believe the collector did anything but act in good faith, but I am somewhat confused by the fact that OP is 'having to demand their money back' from fiancee and that this is apparently a problem.

Where the gently caress is the money, fiancee?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Elissimpark posted:

I can almost guarantee you that the dipshit tossed them off way below value. To him the trains are garbage competing with him for attention, and so any amount of money is 'decent' because it got him paid and the competition gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?
Joking aside I'm guessing "Beer mat"