Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Imagine being Chloe Zhao and realizing your billion dollar movie has a lead who can't emote lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean that hadn't fazed the Wachowski's during the Matrix

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It took Hemsworth like 4 movies before he did. it's not a requirement.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gemma sucked. Worst part of the movie. Except sprite. They sucked worse.

Everyone else was fine.

Although kingo annoyed me. Treat your friend better dude

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah they killed Thanos a bunch of movies ago why is this news
Thanos is a deviant

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean that hadn't fazed the Wachowski's during the Matrix

Keanu can emote, he just doesn't always do a good job at the talking part

I thought Eternals was amusing enough. Not one of the worst Marvel movies, but not among the cream of the crop either. Someone mentioned this way back when it came out, but it was nice to see super speed represented by... just really being fast, instead of doing a bunch of slow mo bits. Can't deny that the gang weren't exactly evenly matched in terms of charisma, though. Tomb Raider and Train to Busan Guy were making everyone else look pretty bush league.

also I'm surprised at how much I'm interested in what is going to happen to Mr. Dane Whitman and his ominous sequel stiger given how little of a poo poo I've ever given about Black Knight

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
look do you wanna see the stark brothers punching jonathan majors in the face or not?:colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The United States posted:

Thanos is a deviant

They're all Eternals :rolleyes:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I liked Eternals. It has flaws, but it's like a million times better that Dark World, so I dunno why people decided to be so harsh on it.

Angelina was so good in this, and she was the Wonder Woman we never had. :swoon:

I liked their plot twist, also a big gently caress you to Ikarus.

And quite sad that Kingo just went "byeeee" and we didn't see him kicking rear end in the last action scenes. oh and oh yes, let's kill all the PoC first! That annoyed me so drat much.

Aphrodite posted:

It took Hemsworth like 4 movies before he did. it's not a requirement.

Bless Taika for making Hemsworth to do comedy, because that hot man is so good at it.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

I liked Eternals. It has flaws, but it's like a million times better that Dark World, so I dunno why people decided to be so harsh on it.

The guys I know who hated it all parroted the exact same tired talking points about being force-fed a diversity cast, that a female lead doesn’t work, that the straight white guy is the villain, and how it was as bad if not worse than Captain Marvel and they’re the bottom two Marvel movies. Like almost word for word “opinions” from three different people, so I guess they’re all listening to the same podcast.

If we’re talking an actual plot issue did they ever address that the Celestial digging itself out from the core of the planet would’ve hosed Earth beyond saving? Like wouldn’t a space god busting through the mantle and crust cause irreversible damage to the planet, even if they halted his birth?

Desperado Bones posted:

Bless Taika for making Hemsworth to do comedy, because that hot man is so good at it.
I would like a Thor/Peacemaker crossover of muscle idiots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sanschel posted:

If we’re talking an actual plot issue did they ever address that the Celestial digging itself out from the core of the planet would’ve hosed Earth beyond saving? Like wouldn’t a space god busting through the mantle and crust cause irreversible damage to the planet, even if they halted his birth?

I mean yes, if one did that here. But the MCU Earth has multiple hidden magical realms, leylines, alien tech etc. on it. A few weeks ago the seed of a different Celestial grew in a massive area over it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sanschel posted:

Beats me, they went full anime now. A few villages where swallowed by the ocean, thanks to the giant Evangelion robot, and it was like "eh". I was honestly thinking about when are humans going to start mining it :v:

Sanschel posted:

I would like a Thor/Peacemaker crossover of muscle idiots.

Please, yes. Make it happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eternals is way better than Captain Marvel IMO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Eternals is way better than Captain Marvel IMO

CM has Coulson.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Samuel L Jackson was a delight as young Fury in CM, and Eternals would have been greatly improved with a scene of him dressing down the Eternals for not helping out with Thanos

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

CM has Coulson.
He’s not in it that much

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rhyno posted:

RIP Gilgamesh Kingo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s not in it that much

Enough to make it count.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also IIRC the Coulson de-aging was a lot sloppier than for SLJ

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty sure they just slapped a hairpiece on him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember his face looking too smooth

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wonder if they’ll ever explain why Thanks is purple and Eros isn’t, or any of the other Eternal/Deviant and Celestial inconsistencies

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I liked Eternals more than I expected based on its rep but it felt long and some of the talent felt wasted. Not sure what was going on with Chan since I've seen her in other things by she lacking any charisma. The character felt hollow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lobok posted:

I liked Eternals more than I expected based on its rep but it felt long and some of the talent felt wasted. Not sure what was going on with Chan since I've seen her in other things by she lacking any charisma. The character felt hollow.
Most of the characters had that problem, to me.

A lot of them felt really alien or artificial (which is funny when you get the reveal midway through the movie), but I wonder if that is a directing issue.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

From what I remember there were definitely some issues with unnatural performances, though I liked the movie overall.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

omg chael crash posted:

I wonder if they’ll ever explain why Thanks is purple and Eros isn’t, or any of the other Eternal/Deviant and Celestial inconsistencies

Oh my God, chael, you can't just ask someone why they're purple

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

omg chael crash posted:

If they do more with the Eternals in general and Celestials specifically, yes.

So Thanos is a titan, which is a kind of Eternal, y/n?

So does that mean that if any one of the Eternals showed up to fight Thanos, it would probably be over real quick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics they're an offshoot.

In the movies he's probably an Eternal that was assigned to Titan.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

At least for me I found the characters dull and the dialogue plodding, which goes against the Marvel formula

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

CM has Coulson.

Captain Marvel had an actual plot and not just endless introductions of characters.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like Captain Marvel has charisma but isn't given much to do on a character basis, whereas Sersi has no charisma and has all this character stuff that doesn't land as a result. It's an interesting contrast in not doing a great job with your lead.

I bet Eternals 2 is going to go heavy on Thanos flashbacks to offset the (sort of, not all that really, but compared to the big Marvel hits) tepid reception the original got

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Eternals 2
That's certainly optimistic.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think some critics being harsh on the movie has made you forget it still made a zillion dollars and Disney will favor that over anything else.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing that's potentially good about a sequel is that there will be, or should be, fewer members of the team. A lot of the movie was about introducing an Infinity War-size team and bringing the band back together.

Also, question for the post-credits scene (guess I'll spoiler it?) What is Black Knight supposed to appear in next? That was Ali's voice at the end, so is he going to be part of Blade? I know the Ebony Blade (lol) is cursed so is Blade going to be the centre of a different corner of the MCU with supernatural / dark / horror stuff, separate from Strange?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal's had too many characters, and the super deviant ended up being pointless.

But I think the lamest bit was the 'The Avenger's really looked up to us... just off screen' scene. It just gave off lack of faith in the Eternal's on their own merits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I think some critics being harsh on the movie has made you forget it still made a zillion dollars and Disney will favor that over anything else.

400mil on a 200mil budget is a loss these days. But pandemic asterisk and everything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I liked Zhao's work on Nomadland because it gave a window into relating to real people with a very different world view and life. She tried to do the same thing with Eternals and that's just a lot harder and more pointless when you take the "real people" part out of the sentence. The plot and a lot of the character choices did not make much sense.

Ikaris was so wooden I assumed he was trying to act like a robot, which makes some sense. Druig-Makkari were very fun to watch, I hope those kids do well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It will probably be tough for Lauren Ridloff since she's legitimately deaf, but Barry Keoghan is blowing up right now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

JoylessJester posted:

But I think the lamest bit was the 'The Avenger's really looked up to us... just off screen' scene. It just gave off lack of faith in the Eternal's on their own merits.

Which scene is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

It will probably be tough for Lauren Ridloff since she's legitimately deaf, but Barry Keoghan is blowing up right now.

Thanks, I was wondering if she was really deaf. I hope she has a good future as the Happy Eternal.