Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Seems hopeful, as there's not a ton of first person crawler style Roguelike fare:

https://aukustus.itch.io/realms-of-the-lost

Cute and has promise. The UI is a bit slow and chunky even for an oldschool style game. It also obviously lacks much content, but I hope they continue with it. I've always wanted to make something like this but I never end up returning to my 7drl attempts. Dungeon Hack cries out for a modern take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

megane posted:

Right, there are two different effects there. Some things (like those Lightning Bolt upgrades) say "Lightning Bolt also deals holy and dark damage" while others say "Lightning damage is redealt as holy damage." The former will go through lightning immunity, while I'm pretty sure the latter won't.

This is wrong, altho understandable given how ambiguous the use of the word "readeal" is. All of the "redeal" skills use the original, pre-resistance damage value. So with Fiery Judgement and Starfire a fire spell that hits once for 100 fire damage will now hit for 100 fire damage, then 50 holy damage, then 50 arcane damage, each of which checks resistance and pops shields independently. This is why fire elementalists are so straightforward once they have their skills online, as they're usually dealing 100-200% damage across multiple hits on top of having access to chip damage shenanigans like Searing Heat and Orb of Fire.

It's also why I consider fire elementalists easier to play than lightning. Lightning might have chaining and built in survivability/mobility via lightning form, but it only has one 50% redeal skill for dealing with resistances so usually has issues with massed metallic enemies and needs to awkwardly put conductance on powerful resistant enemies.

Also note that "redeal" skills will apply to any source of damage to enemies, so you can make Thunder Trolls holy damage themselves to death with their own lightning clouds.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rogue shoots

Big Nova Drift update coming up in a few days, it's live on the beta branch already: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/858210/view/5812453185837511417

I've been playing a bunch of Monolith lately, which is probably my favorite of the isaac-derived top down roguelite shooters. No cruft, minimal meta progression, plays fast, incredibly good 8bit ost and aesthetic. Play it if you haven't, it's the other sleeper alongside Deathstate that bubbles up in the thread occasionally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:hai: Monolith is super good

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My brother has been trying to get me into Caves of Qud for a while, I have the feeling that it might just be slightly too janky and old school for me to really enjoy long term though. To what degree does it have random bullshit "you just need to know <spoiler>" deaths like ADOM / Nethack? It it's DCSS-style "you just saw an enemy for the first time and it totally destroyed you because it's unexpectedly tough" that's OK.

Also any other recommendations for similar games which might have gone under my radar in the past few years would be cool. I've played most of the real classic roguelikes (like, nearly everything in the OP) except TOME and I have had a craving for something with overall similar gameplay but with hopefully more interesting character building options and an open game world rather than just being a giant dungeon.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Microcline posted:

This is wrong, altho understandable given how ambiguous the use of the word "readeal" is. All of the "redeal" skills use the original, pre-resistance damage value. So with Fiery Judgement and Starfire a fire spell that hits once for 100 fire damage will now hit for 100 fire damage, then 50 holy damage, then 50 arcane damage, each of which checks resistance and pops shields independently. This is why fire elementalists are so straightforward once they have their skills online, as they're usually dealing 100-200% damage across multiple hits on top of having access to chip damage shenanigans like Searing Heat and Orb of Fire.

It's also why I consider fire elementalists easier to play than lightning. Lightning might have chaining and built in survivability/mobility via lightning form, but it only has one 50% redeal skill for dealing with resistances so usually has issues with massed metallic enemies and needs to awkwardly put conductance on powerful resistant enemies.

Also note that "redeal" skills will apply to any source of damage to enemies, so you can make Thunder Trolls holy damage themselves to death with their own lightning clouds.
I find a well-upgraded lightning bolt is pretty amazing at dealing with anything other than vast packs of immune enemies without needing conductance. One of the upgrades makes it also deal fire and arcane damage, put that on top of thunder lord, arch sorcerer and the damage upgrade and you’re looking at about 36 damage of each type in a line with vast numbers of charges. Makes a pretty good anti-boss nuke as well. Death shock is also pretty spicy with those skills and the damage and cascade upgrades, since a lot of lightning-immune enemies have fairly low HP - 40 lightning and dark damage plus infinite cascades can very often just wipe out most of a level before shields start getting common.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

RabidWeasel posted:

My brother has been trying to get me into Caves of Qud for a while, I have the feeling that it might just be slightly too janky and old school for me to really enjoy long term though. To what degree does it have random bullshit "you just need to know <spoiler>" deaths like ADOM / Nethack? It it's DCSS-style "you just saw an enemy for the first time and it totally destroyed you because it's unexpectedly tough" that's OK.

Also any other recommendations for similar games which might have gone under my radar in the past few years would be cool. I've played most of the real classic roguelikes (like, nearly everything in the OP) except TOME and I have had a craving for something with overall similar gameplay but with hopefully more interesting character building options and an open game world rather than just being a giant dungeon.

CoQ is generally quite fair. There's a certain dungeon that's a massive difficulty spike, but that's more that it's got tricky mechanics rather than 'you didn't pick up this item so you die'. There's a handful of enemies that are exceptionally lethal if you don't know what they do, but they appear relatively late on. I can only think of a couple of times I died with very little chance to react, and looking back on it now I probably could have lived if I'd played a bit more carefully.
Plus there's a non-permadeath mode if you want to progress through the story.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

Dirt cheap too! The expansion is great but it mostly adds optional challenge content to extend your runs, absolutely recommend it but no rush if you're still learning the base game. Awesome music too.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

Given your second paragraph I really think you should give Caves of Qud a longer shot because it's exactly what you say you're looking for. There are a couple game options for CoQ that got added with the Palladium Reef update; "Classic" (permadeath etc), "Roleplay" (reload at villages if you die) & "Wander" (reload on death, XP for exploring, quests, and diplomacy -- no XP for combat, factions start neutral to you).

All 3 are perfectly valid ways to play Caves of Qud. That said I never really found anything in CoQ to be even 1/5ths as bullshit as the Amulet of Life Saving. Maybe a couple of the enemies later on can be unexpectedly dangerous, but generally by the time you get to that point you'll have half a dozen ways to declaim bullshit.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Qud is amazing and generally fair and you can savescum all you want, it's cool.

Monolith is also amazing and the shmuppiest roguelite around, I hope they can release the next DLC this year.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Forgot I'd picked up Gordian Quest and started it up. Anything to know going in without spoilers?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

goferchan posted:

Dirt cheap too! The expansion is great but it mostly adds optional challenge content to extend your runs, absolutely recommend it but no rush if you're still learning the base game. Awesome music too.

the temple music is especially amazing imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypynv4lk3Hg

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I have made a thing for FTL.
I think it's unfortunate that the Vortex is so terrible. The concept of one Engi going to fight the universe could be fun.

Here's my vision, intended to be tolerable starting with a single operator.

The good:
- You can man the guns, and when the enemy fires, run to the helm to evade. The helm starts upgraded for when you can't.
- You can jump into a node, get boarded and quickly man the doors. If the boarders are too much for you, you can vent the whole drat ship and hide in the DNA bank. The clonebay is separately ventilated.
- You have a sweet alpha strike. 3 Heavy laser shots and pre-igniter. I figured a captain would have to be very motivated to go alone, maybe looking for revengi. (I considered a drone-damage ship, but this seemed more fun.)

The bad:
- You have no shields, zoltan or otherwise, no cloaking and three engine pips without an engineer. It will cost 100 scrap to get your first bubble.
- The fire drone sucks. I added it for drone-y flavor and to make it easier to get early crew kills, but the amount of fire it creates for 3 power is frankly pitiful. In addition, early on the enemy ships have so little hull that by the time you've neutralised the weapons and shields, the ship will often burn out before the crew. I guess it's 25 free scrap towards your shields.
- The doors are lvl1. When boarders get into the door room you're going to have to hold your breath. Seemed too much to make them lvl2 with the other high level systems.
- Heavy lasers hitting shields is terribly wasteful.

The Ugly
- Against two shield bubbles your alpha strike will do only 2 damage, assuming everything hits. I have tested the ship on 2 Normal runs, both victorious. Both times, the hull was wearing pretty thin in sectors 1/2. It might not work on Hard.
- Zoltan shield enemies will suck.
- I haven't run into early Lanius boarders, but those would really suck.
- Offensive drone enemies will suck unless you successfully alpha strike them.
- Asteroid belts will suck.
- Basically all those problems with the Stealth ships, except worse.

I have found the ship entertaining. It's fragile, but the HLs and Pre-Igniter redeem it, especially once you have a decent shieldbreaker (+ hacking for lots of crew kills).

Thoughts welcome.
I'll look into putting it up on some mod site. All the graphics are there, albeit I could only be arsed to make 3 gibs.

Fake edit: The disconnected room gets no systems. Occasionally somone boards there and you can taunt them over the intercom before opening the doors.
Edit 2: I guess you could take them along and show them the world instead.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 15, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duuk posted:

Doom2 modding, but ftl.

Awesome, great work. Gotta love seeing the classics getting some love.

I'm gonna second what SKULL.GIF said and I think it might be right up your ally, especially that second paragraph. It doesn't have super oldschool 'gotchas' (anything with instadeath is very lategame and has all sorts of blazing claxons around it warming up), but rather like you said lots of dying to new enemies and hubris. Its biggest hurdle is getting over the starting dungeons as new players undervalue defensive stats, from then on it's all world exploration.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Chaotic Flame posted:

Forgot I'd picked up Gordian Quest and started it up. Anything to know going in without spoilers?

Generally anything that works in deckbuilders works in Gordian Quest - don't take bad cards, upgrade your good cards (note that the number of upgrades you can have on a card is gated by your level), remove most of your starter cards. But it's not that hard of a game - once you know what you're doing, you can probably make any combination of characters with any combination of powers work, as long as you understand your strengths and play tactically. The most important part of that is learning what the enemy attack targeting means, and what you need to do to avoid damage.

You don't have to fight every battle, and at a certain point doing so just becomes a waste of time for not many rewards. The best time:reward payoff is usually the exploration nodes.

I did not mess around a lot with the really expensive mechanics in town (gambling, crafting, etc.), and didn't feel like I needed to. Sockets are really good, so learn how that works once you are able to (re-socketing though seems like a waste of money).

When I played on super hard mode, the biggest challenge was figuring out how to spend money - you need to buy equipment so you don't die, but you also need to save money for resurrection in case you do die, and this is also the only time that the resupply cost actually affects you. But it's only hard until you are fully equipped, then it stops mattering.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

FINALLY got my third Rift Wizard win, conjurations again but this time Lightning Spire did the heavy lifting.

The Dreamer totally sucks to fight and I ran into five of them. FIVE.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Generally anything that works in deckbuilders works in Gordian Quest - don't take bad cards, upgrade your good cards (note that the number of upgrades you can have on a card is gated by your level), remove most of your starter cards. But it's not that hard of a game - once you know what you're doing, you can probably make any combination of characters with any combination of powers work, as long as you understand your strengths and play tactically. The most important part of that is learning what the enemy attack targeting means, and what you need to do to avoid damage.

You don't have to fight every battle, and at a certain point doing so just becomes a waste of time for not many rewards. The best time:reward payoff is usually the exploration nodes.

I did not mess around a lot with the really expensive mechanics in town (gambling, crafting, etc.), and didn't feel like I needed to. Sockets are really good, so learn how that works once you are able to (re-socketing though seems like a waste of money).

When I played on super hard mode, the biggest challenge was figuring out how to spend money - you need to buy equipment so you don't die, but you also need to save money for resurrection in case you do die, and this is also the only time that the resupply cost actually affects you. But it's only hard until you are fully equipped, then it stops mattering.

Thanks for this! Definitely still learning what all the enemy attack symbols mean and how to determine who's being targeted / when.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Blade Assault arrives at the big v1.0 with a potent update and a general vibe and sense of ongoing ambition despite not coming from a powerhouse dev outfit that puts it in esteemed, Best In Class company alongside the likes of Skul:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1367300/view/3110299024073940440

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ciaphas posted:

monolith is insanely great and the only roguelite that actually truly knows shmup content rather than just cribbing a few things

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

got a normal run done earlier today, but hardmode is gonna take a while

my superpower is dashing into bullets that would have missed if i'd stood still

(e) doesn't help that i go into Temple 2 or 3 when offered, out of sheer hubris

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I should play monolith; it’s the only roguelike I’ve heard positive things about in shmup circles, and shmup circles have ridiculously high standards

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's very, very good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blade Assault tries really hard to be Hades, down to copying the korean mmo levels of currency variety.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Blade Assault tries really hard to be Hades, down to copying the korean mmo levels of currency variety.

It's literally done by a Korean dev so I guess it's appropiate.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jack Trades posted:

This opinion sucks, both what you mean and the way in which you say it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Jack Trades posted:

wtf is korean mmo levels of currency dude, that's not a thing?? that's a real weird thing to say
and hades has only 1 currency (obols) the rest are just various upgrade materials.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Samopsa posted:

wtf is korean mmo levels of currency dude, that's not a thing?? that's a real weird thing to say
and hades has only 1 currency (obols) the rest are just various upgrade materials.

Just because the currency is tagged for metaprogression doesn't mean it's not a currency that you still need to go out and collect. Darkness, keys, titan blood, nectar and ambrosia. Especially when it comes to unlocking & upgrading new weapons, aka the most important part, there's a bit of grinding to do.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Serephina posted:

Just because the currency is tagged for metaprogression doesn't mean it's not a currency that you still need to go out and collect. Darkness, keys, titan blood, nectar and ambrosia. Especially when it comes to unlocking & upgrading new weapons, aka the most important part, there's a bit of grinding to do.

yeah it's metaprogression, what the hell does this have to do with mmo currency, and it's even weirder to type it as a 'korean' thing.

I know that metaprogression is not for everyone but that's a different point.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
From the context I'd assume he was complaining about having a lot of little currencies to keep track of. But I'm going to trust what Orange DeviI said and just move on, sorry for the derail.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

yeah it's metaprogression, what the hell does this have to do with mmo currency, and it's even weirder to type it as a 'korean' thing.

Many service games end up with tons of currencies/resources that are only used to buy specific stuff. Hades also does this (some of the things you buy are metaprog stuff). It's not rocket surgery. You can argue about whether Hades' amount of currencies is 'tons' I guess but why would you?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You could also try to argue that crafting in Minecraft is a system of using countless different currencies to buy items and upgrades, but that would be just as frustrating and pointlessly contrarian as this conversation

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle also had currencies (4 of them), with merchants only accepting whichever was the local one. You had to convert some currency whenever you switched town, at a fee of course. But then, you also had a spell to create money, so...

I wonder how many games got into actual currency exchange like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Currency, materials... it's splitting hairs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

FishMcCool posted:

Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle also had currencies (4 of them), with merchants only accepting whichever was the local one. You had to convert some currency whenever you switched town, at a fee of course. But then, you also had a spell to create money, so...

I wonder how many games got into actual currency exchange like that.

An old MUD called Dragonrealms did that with three different currencies used in different regions. I always liked it, felt it added versimilitude, even if you lost a few coppers in the exchange rate and banker fee.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Blade Assault, also, is more aware than most of how this can go awry---which is why they also have a resources conversion mechanic fairly readily available to where all sorts can be modified to suit what is aimed to be accomplished at the time. Something I should hope would become a genre standard going forward.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samopsa posted:

it's a lovely post and is basically fueled by 'i don't like these things so they're the same in my head' and that's basically all you need to know

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I remember feeling overwhelmed with different types of trinket in Hades. None of it was paid, just a lot of different types of shop.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My main quibble with Hades' currencies is that you're frequently presented with a choice between metacurrency and something useful for your current run, e.g. when presented with a Nectar door and a Heart door. "Never encourage the player to weaken their current run in favor of later runs" is one of the big Rules of Non-Awful Metaprogression.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hades is a series of awful design decisions piled on top of each other which is liked because people love to fellate the developer. I checked out fast enough to get a refund when I saw that it had isometric level design but absolute directional controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jedit posted:

Hades is a series of awful design decisions piled on top of each other which is liked because people love to fellate the developer. I checked out fast enough to get a refund when I saw that it had isometric level design but absolute directional controls.

isometric directional controls are rear end in literally any context

it's a solid B+ game with good core gameplay and fantastic presentation, marred mainly by metaprogression and how repetitive runs are