Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bootmanj posted:

That said they are making a dumb comparison. As most people use larger 250 or 350 series trucks to haul such trailers anyways and the EV comparable trucks do not yet exist.

For certain applications (heavyweight/long distance towing being a super-huge one,) EVs are still not a valid replacement for gas and diesel ICE vehicles, and barring a really revolutionary change in battery tech (unlikely,) aren’t going to be anytime soon.

And that’s fine.

I don’t get on a 737 to go to the grocery store, and I don’t ride a Vespa on a cross country road trip. Different tools for different jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootmanj
May 10, 2018

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW
EVs are fine for replacing heavyweight and long distance towing there are a decent number of 18 wheeler plays in the market already. The current issue is that the 250 to 350 weight range just isn't high enough volume to make a E play worth it yet.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bird with big dick posted:

thats kinda the funny (not funny if you own one) part is that the regular version doesn't really chop power during the 1/4. Only the GT. I think it was C&D that tested them and the REGULAR version is actually 2.1s faster to 110 mph than the GT version.

So basically they probably have the same battery and same battery cooling ability but the GT has bigger motors and they've programmed the GT to shoot its entire wad 0-60 and then poo poo its entire pants 60-100.

Its pretty disappointing. And its nearly the only disappointing aspect of what otherwise is a pretty great car imo, which actually makes it more disappointing.

What happens if you don't do the 0-60 at full performance, would it be able to reach 110 mph as quick as the non-GT? Is there a certain power level below 100% that would manage the quickest quarter mile time?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

I didn’t search around a ton but Digital Federal Credit Union offers a starting rate of 1.99 for members (becoming a member just needs a 10$ donation to one of their charities). You can get it down to 1.24 if you use them as your primary bank or 1.74 if you only open a checking account with them. I don’t know if it will be easy to beat that unless you get a dealer deal from Ford.

They were awesome to work with every time I called them and were happy to explain everything I needed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I don’t get on a 737 to go to the grocery store

Check out this pleb.

E: actual content: at the rate the Bolt actually charges (about 22kW average), EA's per minute rate works out 29¢/kWh from about 12% to 80%. Exactly the same as the best per-kWh rate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrYenko posted:

For certain applications (heavyweight/long distance towing being a super-huge one,) EVs are still not a valid replacement for gas and diesel ICE vehicles, and barring a really revolutionary change in battery tech (unlikely,) aren’t going to be anytime soon.

And that’s fine.

I'm not sure if I understand that, electric vehicles have tremendous towing power so is it just that range is the issue? Cause that actually does seem solvable imo

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KingKapalone posted:

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

TJChap2840 posted:

I didn’t search around a ton but Digital Federal Credit Union offers a starting rate of 1.99 for members (becoming a member just needs a 10$ donation to one of their charities). You can get it down to 1.24 if you use them as your primary bank or 1.74 if you only open a checking account with them. I don’t know if it will be easy to beat that unless you get a dealer deal from Ford.

They were awesome to work with every time I called them and were happy to explain everything I needed.

I financed my Model Y through Digital Federal Credit Union (https://www.dcu.org) and yea, it beat the pants off any other deal I could find. 1.99% is the current "base", but getting down to 1.24% is easy. Any direct deposit will do for the .5% discount, and there's another automatic .25% for buying a "high-efficiency" vehicle, which any BEV is going to be. My job can do multiple direct deposits, so I just carve off a fixed chunk directly to DCU every paycheck, and configured auto-payment from my checking account. They're also running a stupid-high interest rate (6.17%) for the first $1k in savings account, so that's free money to backstop my checking account for a month if there's any weirdness on payroll. They were really easy to work with, but like everyone else they're facing staffing challenges to talking to someone can take a while.

For reference, the next-best rate I could find was ~2.25% (base, didn't see any other obvious immediate discounts) and the Tesla financing was ~2.5%.

If you can beat that with Ford Financing, go for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not sure if I understand that, electric vehicles have tremendous towing power so is it just that range is the issue? Cause that actually does seem solvable imo

Efficiently takes a massive hit due to the weight and hosed up aerodynamics. It’ll tow fine, you’ll just have to stop every 100 miles and without pull through chargers you might have to disconnect the trailer to even get the charge port close enough to the charger to actually connect them.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 16, 2022

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Yikes, time to add "has all 4 brakes?" to the Tesla pre-delivery checklist. https://www.thedrive.com/news/43876/tesla-model-3-owner-discovers-car-was-delivered-missing-a-brake-pad

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Efficiently takes a massive hit due to the range and hosed up aerodynamics. It’ll tow fine, you’ll just have to stop every 100 miles and without pull through chargers you might have to disconnect the trailer to even get the charge port close enough to the charger to actually connect them.

Bingo. The powertrain is perfectly up to the task (you could make a solid argument that an electric powertrain is BETTER) but the power density and external infrastructure of batteries is still nowhere near hydrocarbons.

And EV semi tractors are not currently being aimed at OTR trucking, but at short distance trucking, where the truck can charge more frequently, and where the overall duty cycle is a lot lower. Again, in certain use-cases, electric trucks will probably end up being straight up better than the ICE trucks they replace, but that doesn’t mean it’s a magic bullet for all trucking.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Worth the click so you can listen to what sounds like grinding metal coming from the rear wheel when the brakes are applied and then reading this quote:

quote:

Gillmore recorded the above video to send to her Tesla service advisor, who claims multiple technicians listened to the video, only to declare "the brakes sounded normal for a performance Model 3."

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Wonder if they'll try to lemon law it? They're not too far out from being able to do so in a fair number of states

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bootmanj posted:

That said they are making a dumb comparison. As most people use larger 250 or 350 series trucks to haul such trailers anyways and the EV comparable trucks do not yet exist.

one of the Silverado variants coming in the next 2-3 years is supposed to be rated for towing 20k pounds

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QuarkJets posted:

It is solvable.

Between Frankfurt and Stuttgart, there's a stretch of highway that functions as an e-highway test facility, so basically trolleybuses, but for freight.

Not as efficient as moving freight by train, but the trucks can drive to and from the highway on battery power, so you skip the steps of moving freight from trucks to trains and back to trucks.

At long range, trains still win, but for short-to-medium range, I think it's perfect, and you can get away with relatively smaller batteries in the trucks.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 16, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Northwest Federal Credit Union is another I've seen recommended. They don't go as low as DCU, but 1.79% for 72 beats DCU if you want those extra 7 months.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

This was exactly my experience. My previous post had some incorrect info.

The only difference for me was the person I called said a direct deposit wasn’t enough for the .5% off. I had to deposit my “net monthly” that I reported in the site. So YMMV based on which rep you talk to. Either way, I do a direct deposit to them and just pay for the vehicle from my checking account with them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I promised I'd post some photos of my new Leaf so here ya go! Nothing crazy, standard 2019 SV with the tech package, but I love the car and extremely happy with the purchase. It's my first EV and I can already tell it's the future and I'll probably never commute in a ICE vehicle ever again. Sounds great to me!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

This is how you slowly burn up good will.

Imagine spending $60k on a car to have it show up with missing brake pads and then being told to gently caress off for 3 weeks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kronix posted:

This is how you slowly burn up good will.

Imagine spending $60k on a car to have it show up with missing brake pads and then being told to gently caress off for 3 weeks.

Ya, this is my biggest beef with Tesla. Have a service concern? You can’t get anything done same or next day. You make your appointment and they get to you. It’s been a pleasant, trouble free experience every time for me, but it’s on THEIR timeline.

poo poo happens, but it’s how you take care of your customers that counts, and Tesla now is not Tesla of 2018.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sounds like Kia. You have a problem? You must take it to the dealer.
The dealer: we don't know how to fix this.
:rolleyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Ya, this is my biggest beef with Tesla. Have a service concern? You can’t get anything done same or next day. You make your appointment and they get to you. It’s been a pleasant, trouble free experience every time for me, but it’s on THEIR timeline.

poo poo happens, but it’s how you take care of your customers that counts, and Tesla now is not Tesla of 2018.

I don’t disagree, but also this has been my experience with plenty of other car companies.

Honda made me wait almost a month for a replacement key fob for my old CRV, and this was in 2019.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

So I promised I'd post some photos of my new Leaf so here ya go! Nothing crazy, standard 2019 SV with the tech package, but I love the car and extremely happy with the purchase. It's my first EV and I can already tell it's the future and I'll probably never commute in a ICE vehicle ever again. Sounds great to me!

I really like the styling on this car. The color looks great against the black parts. Congratulations!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s an EV, brake pads on more than one corner is an unnecessary luxury really.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I was gonna make a joke about KITT being smart enough to tell if it was wearing a full set of pads or not, and then I got really scared that William Daniels had died without my knowledge, but nope he’s still alive thank goodness

He’s 94 tho

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Resident traffic engineer here to remind everyone to please respect speed laws. Going fast only ever saves you minutes at best. You’ll get where you need to be, promise. No need to rush it. There’s too many idiots on the roads and going fast impacts your reaction time / braking distances.

In SoCal the left 2 lanes are traveling at 75 to 80mph+

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Efficiently takes a massive hit due to the weight and hosed up aerodynamics. It’ll tow fine, you’ll just have to stop every 100 miles and without pull through chargers you might have to disconnect the trailer to even get the charge port close enough to the charger to actually connect them.

Yeah, I was thinking of a EV Pickup to pull a camping trailer but that would kill the range.

So the idea now is to hope that in 2 years there will be a longer range version of the Transit EV or similar because a conversion won't hurt range as long as you don't make it too heavy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of a EV Pickup to pull a camping trailer but that would kill the range.

So the idea now is to hope that in 2 years there will be a longer range version of the Transit EV or similar because a conversion won't hurt range as long as you don't make it too heavy.

How much trailer? Is it something a Ford Maverick might be able to handle?

Probably not worth it if you have to obligately spec the bigger motor and AWD to get the 4K towing package, but the hybrid looks like an excellent overlander/soft-roader if 99% of the actual transit is by road/highway.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

4WD, 3WB. Ford would advertise it as an option (“EcoBrake”).

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There's actually a pretty interesting solution that Airstream's parent company is pursuing by putting batteries and a drive motor in the trailer.
https://electrek.co/2022/01/10/airstream-parent-company-thor-signs-mou-with-zf-to-build-electric-rv/

Not only does it maintain and potentially exceed the nominal EV range, you now have access to a large bank of batteries to power the trailer's accessories and appliances. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you would go about charging the EV and trailer (unless the trailer motor produces only just enough torque to reduce the load on the EV and thus doesn't drain the trailer battery as quickly as the EV drains its own battery so only the EV would need to be regularly charged while on the go) or potential shortcomings of having that much additional weight from the battery and motor in the trailer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Edward IV posted:

On the other hand, I'm not sure how you would go about charging the EV and trailer (unless the trailer motor produces only just enough torque to reduce the load on the EV and thus doesn't drain the trailer battery as quickly as the EV drains its own battery so only the EV would need to be regularly charged while on the go)

Just hook up an alternator and charge the trailer while driving, duh!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Just hook up an alternator and charge the trailer while driving, duh!

Hahahah holy poo poo, that's awesome.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

VideoGameVet posted:

Get a topper for the pickup.
Make a box out of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s that's a little below the top of the sides of the truck bed.
Cut a second piece of 1/4" plywood to the exact shape of the bed (so things can't fall down the cracks around the sides of the box)
Build two big drawers to hold all the camping gear.
Put 1/2" closed-cell insulating foam and a 3" open cell foam mattress on top of the box
Buy appropriately-sized sheets, blankets, pillows

Now you can sleep in comfort in your adventure truck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Get a topper for the pickup.
Make a box out of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s that's a little below the top of the sides of the truck bed.
Cut a second piece of 1/4" plywood to the exact shape of the bed (so things can't fall down the cracks around the sides of the box)
Build two big drawers to hold all the camping gear.
Put 1/2" closed-cell insulating foam and a 3" open cell foam mattress on top of the box
Buy appropriately-sized sheets, blankets, pillows

Now you can sleep in comfort in your adventure truck.

this will be like the fourth time that I say this, but assuming that the Silverado’s midgate isn’t a colossal pain to wrangle and/or people aren’t smashing their manually-removable rear windshields left and right, it + a bed topper is gonna make a hell of a minimal-footprint camper truck

I wouldn’t be surprised if some midgate+topper owners leave the midgate window glass at home instead of stowed Avalanche-style and just drive around with the back cabin fully open.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

How much trailer? Is it something a Ford Maverick might be able to handle?

Probably not worth it if you have to obligately spec the bigger motor and AWD to get the 4K towing package, but the hybrid looks like an excellent overlander/soft-roader if 99% of the actual transit is by road/highway.

Well, the whole idea was to ditch propane and run the RV off the AC power from the truck/van. Cover roof and awning with solar to at least cover the appliance use and maybe get some charging of you're parked in a sunny spot for a week.

Why? We're not a fan of RV campsites, so we'd like to stay at less crowded locations (BLM land) and that means no hookups.

Even with something as aero as a Airstream trailer, you're going to lose a lot of range.

Now the current Ford Transit EV has meh range, 125miles, but I expect by the time I do this there will be far longer range Van EV's.

Maybe Rivian will sell the vans they are building for Amazon to the public by then?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, the whole idea was to ditch propane and run the RV off the AC power from the truck/van. Cover roof and awning with solar to at least cover the appliance use and maybe get some charging of you're parked in a sunny spot for a week.

Why? We're not a fan of RV campsites, so we'd like to stay at less crowded locations (BLM land) and that means no hookups.

Even with something as aero as a Airstream trailer, you're going to lose a lot of range.

Now the current Ford Transit EV has meh range, 125miles, but I expect by the time I do this there will be far longer range Van EV's.

Maybe Rivian will sell the vans they are building for Amazon to the public by then?

Oh no, I totally get it. gently caress campsites unless you’ve got a bunch of young kids.

Being able to be truly self-enclosed for a week or more is the dream for sure.

In terms of ditching propane, I know a few ppl who’ve had success going fully electric for their campsites with 1-2 Jackery/etc type power bank devices and solar panels. They’re not cheap and you may occasionally have to run into town to recharge, etc but one of my friends who has a Jackery has run camp fridges and TVs for tailgating off of one with days of power to spare.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t disagree, but also this has been my experience with plenty of other car companies.

Honda made me wait almost a month for a replacement key fob for my old CRV, and this was in 2019.

I’ve had to wait for parts on cars too, the difference is none of those parts were ever a brake pad that wasn’t installed from the factory. Can we please stop making excuses? That Model3 performance is nearly a $60k “luxury” car.

That’s what people who spend more than the average American yearly salary on a car expect. Electric cars are novel right now so Tesla can pull this kinda poo poo and not get burned. Damage to a brands reputation can last forever, just ask Cadillac.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Edit: somehow I screwed up this post and posted twice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kronix posted:

I’ve had to wait for parts on cars too, the difference is none of those parts were ever a brake pad that wasn’t installed from the factory. Can we please stop making excuses? That Model3 performance is nearly a $60k “luxury” car.

That’s what people who spend more than the average American yearly salary on a car expect. Electric cars are novel right now so Tesla can pull this kinda poo poo and not get burned. Damage to a brands reputation can last forever, just ask Cadillac.

my intent isn’t to make excuses, however I do think that Tesla gets an extra dose of scrutiny and recrimination over manufacturing flaws that other companies have themselves done or outdone as a result of their CEO being a public piece of poo poo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
There's plenty of proven stories of OEM's not installing basic poo poo in cars - the British car makers were / are legendary for it - like delivering cars without gearboxes or differentials.

You have in this case a hyper critical section of terminally online who refuse to believe other car makers can be as bad or worse AND also - here is this is where dealerships are an advantage as they have pre-delivery checks to stop most of these dumb rear end mistakes getting through to the end consumer. Doesnt stop them all but it does cut down on the more glaring gently caress ups.

The fuckups of Tesla do make me have a quiet laugh but it's just added to the pile of stories to have a giggle at from pretty much any manufaturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tesla also positions itself as a tech-forward company. If you get most news in bites on MSNBC.com and read "Tesla automates 90% of process! Automaker has "solved" factories" and any other number of nonsense its PR arm puts out, then watching them fail at some basic poo poo is funny.

Like when the iPhone version shipped whose internal antenna was thwarted by "holding it wrong".