Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Congrats! Got beat out for a 70 day job and then saw a 30 day relief in Bahrain and ran out the door. Have to go to the mountains for the winter where there's no union halls!

i didnt even make it to the hall luckily, i dont think that place has seen a mask in years i woulda got everyoen covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Just saw a story on intermodal trains getting busted open and looted in LA, has any of that been happening at anchor out there?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s a lot harder to do at anchor, for a lot of reasons.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

It’s a lot harder to do at anchor, for a lot of reasons.

No one has a security team embarked at anchor in the US, the train stuff is escalating to armed banditry apparently, a ship at anchor seems like easy pickings if you're organized. Assuming the uscg is now as hands off as the railroad police have seemingly become. A lot of the difficulties don't really exist if the enforcement has collapsed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wang Commander posted:

No one has a security team embarked at anchor in the US, the train stuff is escalating to armed banditry apparently, a ship at anchor seems like easy pickings if you're organized. Assuming the uscg is now as hands off as the railroad police have seemingly become. A lot of the difficulties don't really exist if the enforcement has collapsed.

If you dont have help from ships crew you would probably have to take them hostage just to get up the side and then use then stores crane to offload. You're looking at a whole new level of difficulty and organization. I would also expect the USCG and CBP to take a pretty hard stance on that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think USCG and CBP would take a pretty firm stance at a piracy incident happening in an anchorage off the coast of the US.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Piracy? Have they updated the old laws yet, or can you still string pirates up on site? :P

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

If you dont have help from ships crew you would probably have to take them hostage just to get up the side and then use then stores crane to offload. You're looking at a whole new level of difficulty and organization. I would also expect the USCG and CBP to take a pretty hard stance on that.

Container ships don’t have cranes to offload anything significant, you’d be stuck using the provision cranes off the quarters and that’s kind of inconvenient at anchor (no good surface to run up alongside)

Container ships have pretty high freeboards too. Then you get into the issue that a lot of containers are pretty inaccessible, and by the time you get the lashing and such off, the USCG has shown up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't think these people are stealing whole containers Fast & Furious style. Seems more like people just bust open a few containers, strip some boxes, and see if there's anything good in the 5 minutes or so it takes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah you can't exactly loot a cargo ship by just driving a panga up alongside it and grabbing a few boxes, and I'm pretty sure the Coast Guard is gonna give more than a little bit of stink eye to people committing open piracy off the coast of a major port city.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah that’s what I was referring to too.

This is what the container stacks on the deck of a container ship looks like, or at least the end that’s near a lashing bay:

So once you’ve made it to the deck, all you gotta do is loosen up the lashing rods and chains, cut the seals, open the door and you’re good to go. Then I guess you grab the stuff and chuck it overboard for your friends to pick up.

Of course before you get there you have to get on the main deck:

(This is a small ship)

Of course you have to get to the ship first, and they moved the waiting area off LA / LB way the gently caress offshore:

I mean it’s not impossible, but it’s not as easy as grabbing poo poo off a slow moving train.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 15, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't think these people are stealing whole containers Fast & Furious style. Seems more like people just bust open a few containers, strip some boxes, and see if there's anything good in the 5 minutes or so it takes.

A ship off SoCal at anchor is going to have a massive free board and its going to be really hard getting up and going down without crew assistance. Once on the ship theres no real easy access to the containers beyond maybe the first couple rows on deck and those will be lashed down and hard to open. Most of the stacks are pretty inaccessible and just not worth the time. If CBP decides they wanna go as hard as they do searching our rooms for contraband, anyone loving around won't have to wait long to find out. Theres also thousands if boxes on a ship so it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack, I don't even think we carry manifests anymore. Maersks are all digital.

Trains around terminals are much easier if you just want quick access to a box but also there's plenty of opportunity to go after trucks if you can figure out whats in a box and track it. When I was in school I worked at CNWS taking care of the tractors moving the expired ammo. Most of it went on trains with just a placard but the stingers and poo poo just drove out the gate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I mean you could target anything marked UN 3090, but I expect those boxes aren’t sitting on deck where anyone can get to them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We are US flagged so there's probably no UN around. Its either USN, USMC or US Army. Explosives go up forward and we always know when those are on board. I've heard stories of people getting in trouble grabbing random poo poo out of the MRAPs coming back from Afghanistan and 10 years ago one of the APL office people was asking if I thought any of the terrorist organizations were able to track the box numbers and if we should do something about it (cause they could predict unit movements and our capability or some poo poo). Still, noone is going to bother opening a box on a ship cause its such a pain.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

UN 3090 is the IMDG code for lithium batteries, usually means electronics.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I don't bother looking at any of that poo poo.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
High value reefers, steal a million bucks in fish or whatever

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
drat all my dumb posting about LA pirates is absolutely bc I'm hangry

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

High value reefers, steal a million bucks in fish or whatever

A reefer full of Hagen Daaz is insured for something loving wild like $20 millions.

Shoes can be a good value / weight ratio too, and they don’t need refrigeration. Tools are heavy but easy to resell.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The 200-300 reefers we carry pay for the voyage, the rest of the boxes are just profit. APL almost lost USN contract cause they lost a box or two with $500k of crab going to Jebel.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
How can you deliver bad news without crab legs?

We're not barbarians, the sailors should at least get surf and turf before they have to eat poo poo.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

The 200-300 reefers we carry pay for the voyage, the rest of the boxes are just profit. APL almost lost USN contract cause they lost a box or two with $500k of crab going to Jebel.

We got like a dozen of fish coming from Seychelles that had ALL been trick hosed to just barely run and came very close to that level of fuckery

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lightpole posted:

wasnt me

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kitty Hawk on its way to the glue factory:

https://news.google.com/topstories?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
drat the train bandits are derailing them now

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This is kinda blowing my mind, how is it more economical to tow this thing around to Texas via the straights of Magellan than to find somewhere on the West Coast to break her up?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Elviscat posted:

This is kinda blowing my mind, how is it more economical to tow this thing around to Texas via the straights of Magellan than to find somewhere on the West Coast to break her up?

There is no place on the west coast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your choices are Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Elviscat posted:

One of the drilling companies I used to worked for, back in 80s, had a number of really old scrapper rigs that "mysteriously" sank while on tow, normally in about 6000 fathoms of ocean.

Now I'm not saying that's going to happen here but it totally is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It should have been a target to make an artificial reef but the drat thing is too full of Bad Stuff.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

It should have been a target to make an artificial reef but the drat thing is too full of Bad Stuff.

A SINKEX on that thing could have been pretty cool.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elviscat posted:

The dude who bought it for scrap is in Texas, nobody on the west coast wanted it.

Burt posted:

One of the drilling companies I used to worked for, back in 80s, had a number of really old scrapper rigs that "mysteriously" sank while on tow, normally in about 6000 fathoms of ocean.

Now I'm not saying that's going to happen here but it totally is.

Yeah the insurance markets have gotten wise to that one.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Theres three ship breaking yards in the US, 2 in the northeast and one in Texas. I have no idea what the capacity is looking like or what sizes they can handle since most of the RRF fleets have been scrapped at this point but Brownsville is the most common one that I've seen. Theres no complicated mystery here.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

lightpole posted:

Theres three ship breaking yards in the US, 2 in the northeast and one in Texas. I have no idea what the capacity is looking like or what sizes they can handle since most of the RRF fleets have been scrapped at this point but Brownsville is the most common one that I've seen. Theres no complicated mystery here.

When the US started scrapping carriers after WWII, Gilette bought one to turn into razor blades. After a couple months, they called the Navy and asked "how do you cut through a flight deck?" The Navy replied with "let us know when you find out. It's gonna be important when we try to refuel the Enterprise."

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Her and the Kennedy were each sold for $0.01 to Brownsville

She had to go to Bremerton to get scraped and cleaned before what I'm assuming is a dead tow and Brownsville is almost certainly the only breaker in the US that can handle her so they are already down millions.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 17, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When the US started scrapping carriers after WWII, Gilette bought one to turn into razor blades. After a couple months, they called the Navy and asked "how do you cut through a flight deck?" The Navy replied with "let us know when you find out. It's gonna be important when we try to refuel the Enterprise."

:rubby:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Midway Class deck plates were only 3.5 inches, an oxy torch should handle that easily although perhaps slow

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm sure I've said this before, but if you ever get a chance to go walk around the decommed carriers in Bremerton, its worth a trip.

I spent an afternoon trying to raid magazine sprinkler bits from whatever was there at the time (2009?). I think it was the KH, Ranger, Independence, and Constellation. You walk up to the ship and they throw a master breaker to turn the lights on, and then its just you and like two other guys walking around in a place meant for five thousand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kinda late champ. No carriers left in the mothball fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but if you ever get a chance to go walk around the decommed carriers in Bremerton, its worth a trip.

I spent an afternoon trying to raid magazine sprinkler bits from whatever was there at the time (2009?). I think it was the KH, Ranger, Independence, and Constellation. You walk up to the ship and they throw a master breaker to turn the lights on, and then its just you and like two other guys walking around in a place meant for five thousand.

Yeah, when I was a volunteer at the Midway Museum I would get their before pretty much everyone else to do turn on stuff for the exhibits. It's eerie but cool to walk around a completely deserted aircraft carrier.