Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Anyone for a cheeky Nando's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

#ElPlan

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ilmucche posted:

Why would pat o'o'ward be in F1

There's so much to unpack here

Pato tested for McLaren at the end of the season and has expressed an interest in moving to F1. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Ricciardo for 2023.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
TIL who all of those fat Brits and Germans you see on TV at F1 races are.

It’s the posters ITT who love KFC of all loving things. :psyduck:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Residency Evil posted:

TIL who all of those fat Brits and Germans you see on TV at F1 races are.

It’s the posters ITT who love KFC of all loving things. :psyduck:

Now I know how brits feel when Americans treat strongbow like it's some upscale import beer.

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.

Theophany posted:

Cheers bud, a proper Cuban sandwich is on my list and as our choices for break were NYC or MIA I'll take a grossly overpriced New York slice as ticking both boxes.

La Rosa Bakery right by the airport has amazing bread and is a good option for Cuban sandwich.

Since we’re talking lovely southern fast food: Bojangles is a must stop. Also 1am Waffle House.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
McDonalds built this crazy futuristic modern glass building with no front counters in my town and it's bang opposite the saddest KFC you will ever see in your life. It looks like the kind of KFC knock off you stumble into drunk at 3am but no, it's the real KFC.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imgur is broken

The building next to it was Lidl but now it’s the Sally army.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I miss Sunday morning F1 races. we need a 30 race calendar.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Imgur is broken

The building next to it was Lidl but now it’s the Sally army.

You finally post a picture that looks like North Yorkshire.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It literally says chesterfield on the picture

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

acidx posted:

Now I know how brits feel when Americans treat strongbow like it's some upscale import beer.

The entire country of Australia is worse off for being internationally represented by Fosters.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow absolutely shocking a bunch of Ferrari loving Euros have goddawful takes on fried chicken :911:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the paradigm shift posted:

pretty sure he's gonna suck ngl

5000 years of meritocracy

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

KFC fuckin' sucks, at least in the UK. Worst fast food chain here by far. Occasionally you get a decent one but most of them are so poo poo. You're better off with the fake frozen KFC knock offs you get in supermarkets, that's how poo poo they are.

the one iceland does, i think its called SFC or something, was loving incredible. frozen microwaved fried chicken had no business being that good. i worked at iceland when i was like 17 and basically lived off them while i worked there because i got a discount

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sab0921 posted:

I miss Sunday morning F1 races. we need a 30 race calendar.

I just want to wake up for an Aussie and a Japanese GP again

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

16 races.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
McDonald's in Slovenia is terrible

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Yes - we've heard your proposal for a season of 16 races that each last a maximum of 45 minutes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

McDonald's in Slovenia is terrible

I hear the juice there is great though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Slovenia was the last country to make legit mopeds I think. RIP.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

does anyone even make 2 stroke mopeds anymore? I know KTM does for their dirt track stuff but I don't even think they're road legal

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Only Tomos did and now they're gone I think. Very sad because 4 takt is the worst takt.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maybe 18 at a push, but honestly, we're at the point where clearly 21 or 22 is pushing too far and losing the quality of the individual races.

just to provide as a thought exercise, the 2022 schedule is such:

• Bahrain
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Australia
  • Emilia Romagna (Imola)
  • Miami
  • Spain
  • Monaco
  • Azerbaijan
  • Canada
  • Britain
  • Austria
  • France
  • Hungary
  • Belgium
  • Netherlands
  • Italy
  • Russia
  • Singapore
  • Japan
  • United States (COTA)
  • Mexico
  • Brazil
  • Abu Dhabi

Which is 23 races. Yikes.

So which would you recommend cutting (with maybe one or two added back in)? Let's see some ideas. See mine below:

• Bahrain
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Australia
  • Emilia Romagna (Imola)
  • Miami
  • Spain (Rotate Spain and Imola annually)
  • Monaco
  • Azerbaijan
  • Canada
  • Britain
  • Austria
  • France
  • Hungary
  • Belgium
  • Netherlands (rotate with Nurburgring annually)
  • Italy
  • Russia
  • Singapore
  • Japan
  • United States (COTA and Miami on rotation)
  • Mexico
  • Brazil
  • Abu Dhabi

If you're even more aggressive, you can cut a couple more to 16, but I think adding the rotations helps keep some scarcity.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Baku is a fun track, Ditch France instead. Also just ditch Zandvoort outright or switch it with Assen.

Also that predictions list was from a semi-joking "fuckit why not" prediction.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

Maybe 18 at a push, but honestly, we're at the point where clearly 21 or 22 is pushing too far and losing the quality of the individual races.

I grew up watching and loving baseball but the games are too loving long now and there's too many of them to care in any given season and I see a lot of parallels with where racing in general is headed. Even MotoGP is spilling past 20 races now and its hard for me to care what's happening in it the last few races.

The most alarming thing for me is how quickly everyone was willing to just have races back to back at the same circuit instead of just having one race less. I'm almost certain once the current contracts expire both FOM and Dorna going to try and negotiate that in with certain circuits to squeeze more blood from the stone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

I grew up watching and loving baseball but the games are too loving long now and there's too many of them to care in any given season and I see a lot of parallels with where racing in general is headed. Even MotoGP is spilling past 20 races now and its hard for me to care what's happening in it the last few races.

The most alarming thing for me is how quickly everyone was willing to just have races back to back at the same circuit instead of just having one race less. I'm almost certain once the current contracts expire both FOM and Dorna going to try and negotiate that in with certain circuits to squeeze more blood from the stone.

There's a reason every week of the NFL is a bigger event than the NBA or MLB's regular season, and it's that scarcity.

and I think you're right as well, doing back to back races in MotoGP and Formula 1 should only have been a last resort during COVID-impacted years (because they have minimum number of races to put on to meet the TV contracts), and I'm really hopeful 2022 isn't one of those years. I can understand the travel and transit costs being minimized by doing back-to-back races in one spot, but it's not great. At least MotoGP kept a couple of weeks between rounds at Misano last fall.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Paul Ricard sucks rear end. Jeddah can stay but they have to find a better system for getting debris off the track. Swap Bahrain or Russia for Germany. Portugal is a lot better than some of the tracks on the calendar too. They'd never get rid of Spain but I would be happy to swap that one out for Portugal.

acidx fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 17, 2022

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

harperdc posted:

There's a reason every week of the NFL is a bigger event than the NBA or MLB's regular season, and it's that scarcity.

and I think you're right as well, doing back to back races in MotoGP and Formula 1 should only have been a last resort during COVID-impacted years (because they have minimum number of races to put on to meet the TV contracts), and I'm really hopeful 2022 isn't one of those years. I can understand the travel and transit costs being minimized by doing back-to-back races in one spot, but it's not great. At least MotoGP kept a couple of weeks between rounds at Misano last fall.

The NBA and MLB play multiple games a week (MLB is drat near every day). F1 will still have scarcity on par with the NFL which has an 18 week season and 4 playoff rounds - so 22 weeks of football things.

As far as the quality of the races - that's more impacted by the level of competition. The 22 race calendar for 2021 was wildly entertaining because of the Max-Lewis competition. If a season ends up like 2019 or 2020 and is just single team domination from start to finish, it will drag - but that same issue would exist no matter the length of the season if only one team is reasonably competing for the title.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 17, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think 16 races would drag on as long as 20+ but I’m not sure I’m just guessing

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Do all 23. Add the Daytona 24, go back to Watkins Glen and make it a solid 25.

gently caress it run them at Le Mans too.

Add F1 to the 24 hour events.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Do all 23. Add the Daytona 24, go back to Watkins Glen and make it a solid 25.

gently caress it run them at Le Mans too.

Add F1 to the 24 hour events.

this is more than likely a joking post but you realize that the LMP1/hypercars at Le Mans run about 15 F1 race distances worth in the 24 Hours, right?

last year's Le Mans winner completed 371 laps, the Circuit de la Sarthe is 13.6 km long, so over 5,000 km of running in the one race. Daytona 24 last year was ~4,600 km.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
What’s the best way to watch the endurance races?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

harperdc posted:

this is more than likely a joking post but you realize that the LMP1/hypercars at Le Mans run about 15 F1 race distances worth in the 24 Hours, right?

last year's Le Mans winner completed 371 laps, the Circuit de la Sarthe is 13.6 km long, so over 5,000 km of running in the one race. Daytona 24 last year was ~4,600 km.

Yeah so? Make Haas do Daytona and Le Mans. Let’s see what these new F1 cars can do over 24 hours

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

GrunkleStalin posted:

the youtube highlights video when they are over

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

A much better way to help with travel costs is not randomly go back and forth between continents. Like the americas should be a block, euro MAYBE two blocks at most, and then wrap sea/oceana/middle east/whatever thats mostly together.

Also lmfao buxton is dumb as rocks

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GrunkleStalin posted:

They keep changing the name every year https://www.gt-world-challenge-europe.com/live

Everything’s on the official channel for free https://www.youtube.com/user/gt1world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV8aSjLjN9Y

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
They're adding yet another race this year (23 vs 22), but the season will be two weeks shorter overall (35 weeks vs 37 last year). Way too many races and too long of a season, but maybe having less "break" time will help a bit?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pvt. Public posted:

I absolutely agree, but for some reason he's going there :shrug:

eh, I've never been to Florida and it's the easiest place to meet between Cayman and the UK under current flight constraints :shrug:

ethanol posted:

two leclercs…. Ugh

:jackin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

McDonalds built this crazy futuristic modern glass building with no front counters in my town and it's bang opposite the saddest KFC you will ever see in your life. It looks like the kind of KFC knock off you stumble into drunk at 3am but no, it's the real KFC.

Let those who stray furthest from His light build glass palaces in His name, but remember that all churches are God's house.