Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

etalian posted:

The Zizek Matrix review as great, like the whole paragraph on how he didn't actually watch the movie and just used other online reviews to develop his criticisms of the film.

Work smarter, not harder

The Brown Moses model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Weenies get mad at him for phoning it in but it rules. Who cares about the lovely movie.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Zvahl posted:

this seems to be a really important part of all of qt's most successful romps, everyone in reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, the kill bills, and once upon a time in hollywood seems to really, really be enjoying themselves and the script a whole lot, including tarantino himself, and it's a lot more noticeable of the blasted wasteland that most movies are lately

Sam Jackson is always having a loving BLAST

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grevling posted:

Weenies get mad at him for phoning it in but it rules. Who cares about the lovely movie.

I imagine it's also Zizek making GBS threads on any western media who thought it was a good idea to get to him to write a serious review on sequel to a has-been movie series.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

etalian posted:

I imagine it's also Zizek making GBS threads on any western media who thought it was a good idea to get to him to write a serious review on sequel to a has-been movie series.

yeah, I mean it's the 4th in a series
you know what you're gonna get and you probably know if you're gonna like it or not before you sit down to watch it
Unless it had gone completely bonkers or been incredibly terrible but it didn't and it wasn't - it's fine. Watch it you piggies drink up the slop, get it out of the way so you can watch The Eternals and your Hawkeyes and your Boba Fetts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I watched 42 movies over a span of the last 4 weeks and I think eternals was like 5th worst. And most of what I was watching were trashy b movies. It's like the actors in these marvel movies are embarrassed to be in them. A far cry from when this genre got rolling and Wesley snipes and Ian McKellen were just like hell yes this is gonna be fun

Other movies as bad as eternals : venom 2, jarhead 3 the siege, the mercenary, spawn

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Jan 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zvahl posted:

this seems to be a really important part of all of qt's most successful romps, everyone in reservoir dogs, pulp fiction, the kill bills, and once upon a time in hollywood seems to really, really be enjoying themselves and the script a whole lot, including tarantino himself, and it's a lot more noticeable of the blasted wasteland that most movies are lately

One of the almost unique things about Tarantino is that him obviously being in love with the whole concept and process of making movies means he actually seems to enjoy it, and makes it something enjoyable for others.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I watched 42 movies over a span of the last 4 weeks and I think eternals was like 5th worst. And most of what I was watching were trashy b movies. It's like the actors in these marvel movies are embarrassed to be in them. A far cry from when this genre got rolling and Wesley snipes and Ian McKellen were just like hell yes this is gonna be fun

Other movies as bad as eternals : venom 2, jarhead 3 the siege, the mercenary, spawn

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the almost unique things about Tarantino is that him obviously being in love with the whole concept and process of making movies means he actually seems to enjoy it, and makes it something enjoyable for others.

Gets a bit (almost literally) masturbatory sometimes though. Once Upon a Time is a "Hail Caesar" style stumble, I think. Not a bad movie but made for a narrow audience

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
masturbatory nonsense is indicative of, if nothing else, passion

i'll admit my bias in that i'm deeply in the boat for a movie like once upon a time in hollywood both for setting and tarantino's involvement but i'm going to side with weird passion I may or may not understand personally every time if the alternative is focus-tested garbage designed to ensure no strong emotions of any sort

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
tarantino generally seems to balance his desire to create niche films with creating stuff that most people will enjoy. when he talks about films he talks about wanting them to be fun to watch. i wish we had more auteurs like him producing films in the various genres they like.

i do think once upon a time in hollywood is perhaps his worst film, but it's also still miles ahead of most films and i really liked it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's very fair. I will take an interesting but flawed product of actual creative passion versus a plot-by-numbers mass market film any day.
My major gripe is just that Hollywood felt like a huge step back for him after The Hateful Eight, which is some of the most beautiful cinematography and leisurely plotting I've seen in a modern film

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol there are 3 jar head movies wtf

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

smarxist posted:

Sometimes a franchise only gets good a bunch of sequels later, like universal soldier or undisputed

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jan 16, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

From what I understand they go the First Blood -> Rambo route of entirely missing the point of the original film and just using the brand for direct-to-video Ooh rah action movies
which is fine provided each one has a throwback to a scene of someone failing to masturbate to a picture of their cheating spouse because that's literally the only thing I remember from the first one

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grevling posted:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
didn't someone try a sequel to three kings?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

would love a 4 kings where they're transporting heroin to pakistan with clooney's son on his first deployment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

smarxist posted:

Picturing a prequel, Two Princes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/bucklepard/status/1482412920336265221?s=21

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what a loving crazy story, and bless that Muppeteer for keeping it straight gangster. Jim Henson is one of my top tier rare genius types

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

smarxist posted:

what a loving crazy story, and bless that Muppeteer for keeping it straight gangster. Jim Henson is one of my top tier rare genius types

I was a bit young to have absorbed it at the time, but the loss of Jim Henson’s one of a very few I’d admit to having mourned

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That was a good Danny Trejo story, it's awful getting the worst news while working.

https://twitter.com/BuckLePard/status/1291113329776189440?s=20

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the way Leno is totally fine with getting archetyped like that is almost redeeming

almost

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

smarxist posted:

one of the greatest bit characters ever

And...

...the hat....

That fuckin' hat....

That loving...

How many times have I told you, don't wear that loving hat here?

How many?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

smarxist posted:

Open on a clip of the original movie, specifically the scene where Clooney or whoever says we shoulda gone all the way to Baghdad., then smash cut to Fallujah.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I just realised that what the Architect reveals in Matrix 2 is basically a metaphorical Matrix with a Matrix, though not literally enough to satisfy fans.

Also it's not a great action movie, natch.

wrong

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMagary/status/1482448492140371977

its funny that the predictions of all the past generations agonizing that young people in the future would have no shame would come true in the exact opposite way they were expecting

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Jan 17, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcEntel/status/1481835014480347137
https://mobile.twitter.com/amyewilkins/status/1482034821874348032

[Poop Culture] After watching No Way Home and Ghostbusters Afterlife and finding myself tearing up during both,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

its funny that the predictions of all the past generations agonizing that young people in the future would have no shame would come true in the exact opposite way they were expecting

this poo poo is dumb because comic book movies are literally only good for plane rides; infact, they're perfect for the medium of watching them in an uncomfortable chair with a 6" monitor on the back of a seat. about 90% of the super hero book poo poo ive seen in the last 10+ years has exclusively been on a 4+ hr long flight and they're really good for that because they're boring and you can doze in and out without missing anything. i think i woke up and fell asleep to man of steel like about 4x on 12-hr flight once just going back to the last conscience memory i had before dozing off immediately. absolutely perfect flight movie because it was so boring that you'd not miss anything

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Some Guy TT posted:

I hate being partially on this guy's side but I definitely wish it was societally unacceptable for people to watch marvel movies as adults

I didn't see Cruella but from what I heard it sounded like it was for all ages

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArcEntel/status/1481835014480347137
https://mobile.twitter.com/amyewilkins/status/1482034821874348032

[Poop Culture] After watching No Way Home and Ghostbusters Afterlife and finding myself tearing up during both,

Lol people still so mad at Scorsese

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
tbh I don't like watching movies on planes at all, but when I do, I'd much rather watch something dumb and visually unspectacular rather than try to appreciate kingdom of heaven or whatever on that little four inch screen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i like watching other peoples movies on my plane rides because trying to watch three movies at once tires me out and reduces my sensory input making the flight less unpleasant

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Heh heh hehehehe

Everybody thought we were going to be like Lil Kim.

Turns out we ended up being more like muppets with vtubers and second life avatars.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
however, you'd best believe that if I'm reading a book on a plane, I'm picking the biggest dickest intellectual book I can find. yes I'm reading Pynchon and yes I hope somebody asks me
about it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

tbh I don't like watching movies on planes at all, but when I do, I'd much rather watch something dumb and visually unspectacular rather than try to appreciate kingdom of heaven or whatever on that little four inch screen

When I still got on planes it was usually inebriated and asleep

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i am for the record inclined to agree that the plane example specifically is a bad one but i still agree with the broader point given the extent to which adults unironically build their entire personalities around harry potter and marvel to an extent that even actual children dont do because theyre addicted to youtube not millennial pop culture bullshit

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They're the new airport novels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i am for the record inclined to agree that the plane example specifically is a bad one but i still agree with the broader point given the extent to which adults unironically build their entire personalities around harry potter and marvel to an extent that even actual children dont do because theyre addicted to youtube not millennial pop culture bullshit

Millennials are the last people to have a cohesive pop culture.
[insert Simpsion reference here. ]

One of the most genius tweets from a gen x, to paraphrase
nobody will understand how much bad tv we watched just to see something good.

Before I was 18 yep, I was in that boat too.
And it was probably true for baby boomers after they turned 18 because television took over their lives.
"We played outside!"

Edit: pop open a gen Xer, and it's just pure pop-culture, but they never talk, so they will never admit to saying which breakfast club kid they were.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Jan 17, 2022