Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Elblanco posted:

Msrp is $120, $300 is definitely scalping.

MSRP is worthless when they short print things as much as they do.

If there is $300 worth of poo poo in the box how is it "scalping" to ask for $300 for the box???

Acting like msrp is some sort of reasonable assessment of value is pants on head backwards and doubly so when you realize we are talking about something that has 90% of it's value in it's collectability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What packs/decks will give me the most bang for my buck as a new player going into live? I guess I’m asking what are the staples I need and what’s the most efficient way of getting them.

Man these might be the worst starter decks in any tcg I’ve ever played. As soon as I ditched the fire one for the dragonite deck I immediately started having 100x the fun

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 16, 2022

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

DrManiac posted:

What packs/decks will give me the most bang for my buck as a new player going into live? I guess I’m asking what are the staples I need and what’s the most efficient way of getting them.

Man these might be the worst starter decks in any tcg I’ve ever played. As soon as I ditched the fire one for the dragonite deck I immediately started having 100x the fun

Fusion strike prob if you want to play the best deck in format but inteleon line from chilling reign(?) Is also p widespread and usefull.

Either way when live drops it becomes 90% less important bc you will be able to craft/dust so if you want to go ham buy 125 of the cheapest pack codes you can find and don't open any of them to get cash shop credits

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wait boosters give you the gem equivalent in live? I might just do that.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Sealed product will when transfered to live.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, this is as much as we know at the moment:

I usually get codes from PoTown Store and the cheapest packs they have at the moment are Celebrations for $0.07 each. It's probably worth waiting for a definitive list of valid packs for transfer purposes, though.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Kalko posted:

Yeah, this is as much as we know at the moment:

I usually get codes from PoTown Store and the cheapest packs they have at the moment are Celebrations for $0.07 each. It's probably worth waiting for a definitive list of valid packs for transfer purposes, though.

I bought 125 @.08 and it was $12 plus tax iirc. Worst case scenario in my mind is I have to open those packs for dust and spend $20 on 125 different packs before live drops.

While we are theorycrafting: I took a small risk and bought a rack of 2 pack or less full art cards in case the dusting system works like HS and I get a large amount of dust per FA so I can turn around and craft what used to cost 40-50 packs like quick ball etc. It's not a slam dunk but for the 50 or so packs I'm in on this its a gamble I'm willing to take in case it does work.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Full set list for Brilliant Stars is here:

https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/02/brilliant-stars-english-set-list

I'm glad they're still doing sweet 2D alternate arts, though it looks like they'll be spreading them out for the international releases this year.

I'm kind of surprised at the complete lack of news about Pokemon Live considering this will be the second set since it was due, and a month ago they did some infrastructure maintenance ahead of its release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Goddamn I looked through that link and I'm getting hype for some of the new alt arts. Of course it's the ones everybody likes so they'll probably be expensive on the second hand market. I also may or may not be salty because I have yet to pull an alt from a pack.

And that sucks that there's been no news about Live. I've just kinda been waiting for it to roll out and really want the fresh start before everyone goes in with the pay to win tactics.

Edit: Oh and rather than necro the buy/sell thread in SAmart with this, does anyone have any ideas of what to do with "junk slab" PSA cards other than ebay? I've really soured on graded cards in general over the past couple of years and am sick of the collection and just want to get rid of it. Nobody really wants them on here and I don't know of any places locally that deals with graded garbage other than maybe a pawn shop. I'm almost tempted to just donate them to a thrift store tbh and call it lesson learned.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 10, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: Oh and rather than necro the buy/sell thread in SAmart with this, does anyone have any ideas of what to do with "junk slab" PSA cards other than ebay? I've really soured on graded cards in general over the past couple of years and am sick of the collection and just want to get rid of it. Nobody really wants them on here and I don't know of any places locally that deals with graded garbage other than maybe a pawn shop. I'm almost tempted to just donate them to a thrift store tbh and call it lesson learned.

Well if you're just looking to get rid of a bunch of random slabs I'll take them and happy to pay s&h + whatever else. I don't have any use for them and will just give them to my kids, who'll probably share or give them to their friends at school. It's fun watching them get hyped over random cards and giving them something that has no crazy value outside what the kids give them is a treat.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Louisgod posted:

Well if you're just looking to get rid of a bunch of random slabs I'll take them and happy to pay s&h + whatever else. I don't have any use for them and will just give them to my kids, who'll probably share or give them to their friends at school. It's fun watching them get hyped over random cards and giving them something that has no crazy value outside what the kids give them is a treat.

That would work perfectly! (I don't know any kids that would be hyped to have any slabbed cards or else I would have given it to them) I'll PM you pics and the full list of them after work tonight. Off the top of my head the hottest cards I got are two regular art Whimiscott GXes each at a 9? It pretty well goes down in desirability from there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Turbinosamente posted:

That would work perfectly! (I don't know any kids that would be hyped to have any slabbed cards or else I would have given it to them) I'll PM you pics and the full list of them after work tonight. Off the top of my head the hottest cards I got are two regular art Whimiscott GXes each at a 9? It pretty well goes down in desirability from there.

That's cool, I have zero intention of making any money off this and mostly just want to hype these up to my kids as insanely cool and special so they can share or trade them at school, kinda like what we did when we were kids. If you're fine having this effectively be a passthrough then I'm happy to pass along the karma to a new generation.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Louisgod posted:

That's cool, I have zero intention of making any money off this and mostly just want to hype these up to my kids as insanely cool and special so they can share or trade them at school, kinda like what we did when we were kids. If you're fine having this effectively be a passthrough then I'm happy to pass along the karma to a new generation.

Hell yeah, I'm not gonna camp out on Ebay hoping some other whimiscott fan wants them for top dollar. This whole thing started as a joke collection anyways when junk slabs were rare order filler type stuff and now that's becoming the norm because of last year's boom. Kinda ruins the novelty when you can find nearly any random modern card slabbed someplace you know?

Anyways I'm gonna pull out a couple more after work but expect it to be a lot of five or six cards that are mostly 8s or 9s with the only misser being a random Dhelmise at a 5.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And just so the thread isn't filled with my wheeling and dealing here's my last pickup while we wait around for Brilliant Stars to release:

I stumbled upon a Flareon VMAX box and got a good deal on it and man do I love both the promos that came in it (it's rare that I like both cards when they pair them up like this). It's a good thing too because I didn't get poo poo pull wise from the packs in it other than a Sandaconda V.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-live-makes-its-canadian-debut-in-limited-beta/

Live will be available on the 22nd for beta testing, but only in Canada for some reason.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Kalko posted:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-live-makes-its-canadian-debut-in-limited-beta/

Live will be available on the 22nd for beta testing, but only in Canada for some reason.

A rollout to the frostbacks first was always planned, most ppl think it's bc it's a small ish chunk of the ptcgo population that is more manageable to try and soft open instead of opening all the floodgates at once

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Interesting report here on the in-game economy:

https://www.pokebeach.com/2022/02/ptcg-live-will-make-it-insanely-affordable-to-build-pokemon-tcg-decks

I didn't expect it to be that generous but I guess when the primary method of acquiring new cards is to buy physical packs it makes sense. Does MTGA have any kind of paper to digital conversion system?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress I'll actually have to think about what cards I need to do a particular strategy vs scraping together something passable out of the poo poo I have. :v: I kid, this is a good thing overall because for a looooooong time the only big card I had was a Celesteela GX that saved my rear end so many times. Along with a Mawile card with Crunch on it; staying ahead with an energy removal attack was also my best strategy for, like, forever.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kalko posted:

Does MTGA have any kind of paper to digital conversion system?

Very very rarely with certain pre-con products.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Brilliant Stars is out now but since Live is right around the corner I won't update the OP until it's released. But here, have some new 2D alt arts. I love these so much, though I think the yellow border ones would look a lot better without the holo effect.

The ones with trainers are called 'character rares' and there are more coming because, as usual, each international set release doesn't include every last card from the Japanese sets it's primarily based on.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 25, 2022

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Restock. Picked up 2:

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/180-85006/pokemon-tcg-sword-and-shield-brilliant-stars-pokemon-center-elite-trainer-box

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
That Boltund is loving adorable

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I started playing Pokemon TCG with my kids (ages 6/8/10) and we have been having a lot of fun just learning the game with the Battle Academy decks and some V Battle decks I picked up.

I am now trying to make more sense of the collectible/deck-building side of the game, though I think pre-built decks are probably the easiest (and most cost-effective) way for us to keep having fun with it. My kids are definitely more interested in just collecting cards of Pokemon they like and less interested in "I need 4x of this card as part of building a good deck".

I followed a bunch of Twitter accounts that post deals on various TCG products and have some questions:
  • Do people mostly buy booster packs because they are chasing rare/expensive cards to collect and/or resell?
  • Is spending $120+ on a box of booster packs the most cost-effective way to get a bunch of boosters?
  • What is the purpose of the "battle stadium" boxes? A way to get a bunch of boosters but also enough trainer/energy cards to ensure that you can built functional decks?
  • Why is the older Shining Fates Elite Trainer Box in higher demand than something like a more recent Fusion Strike box?

I did end up buying a few extra things like the Celebrations Collector Chest and a Brilliant Stars ETB just for the novelty of them, but I feel like if we are not going to be playing in tournaments at local game stores I should probably not sink a lot of money into booster pack-based products and just stick with buying new pre-built decks as they come out, or at least until my kids start to outgrow them?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm not too familiar with the physical Pokemon market but based on what I've experienced and/or know about other TCGs, buying booster boxes is the most cost effective way to get cards but it's absolutely the least cost effective way to get specific cards. If you had a decklist you wanted to put together you're far better off buying singles.

Pokemon does tend to have a lot of high value cards, like a new set will have cards with much higher dollar values on the singles market than MTG ever did (unless things have changed in the last ten years) and I think it's because Pokemon has always been a more attractive property for collectors. I did a quick google for Brilliant Stars singles and found this:

Charizard is one of a few specific Pokemon that always have very expensive rare cards, so I do think there's an extra incentive for buying boxes and hoping to get lucky compared to other TCGs.

As for the ETB and Battle Stadium boxes, like most sealed products I think they're intended to provide you with everything you need to start playing the game. The BS boxes contain promo cards and some extra components but if all you want is a pile of cards it's cheaper to stick with boosters.

I'm not sure why the Shining Fates ETB is worth more than the Fusion Strike box because SF wasn't a very compelling set, but if I had to guess I'd say it's due to speculation. The last couple of years saw a big jump in the value of older unopened Pokemon products for a number of reasons I won't get into, so a lot of people started buying them just to keep in the cupboard for several years (I really don't think this is a smart form of investment but I'm not an expert on cardboard) but it could also be because Fusion Strike was the biggest ever international set so the value of its individual cards is probably a lot lower than other sets.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Shining Fates was a smaller specialty set of cards geared towards the collector market with the inclusion of shiny pokemon cards as was Champion's Path and Hidden Fates before it. I would guess it's out of print and speculators gonna speculate, especially if they missed out on the Hidden Fates mania (the set that first introduced the shiny pokemon card concept).

From a playing the game aspect I wouldn't recommend those sets, as a lot (or all?) Of the commons/uncommons are reprints from then current sets. And yeah, I agree with Kalko that hoarding sealed product for a couple decades probably isn't wise, so if you got Celebrations and Brillant Stars (at MSRP or less) let your kids have fun opening it, get sweet pulls, make memories etc.

And for my final bit of moralizing I've forgotten where I first read it but, the value in MTG cards is in the TCG gameplay viable cards and the value of Pokemon cards is in the collector desired cards with popular characters depicted. Two very different types of markets.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalko posted:

Charizard is one of a few specific Pokemon that always have very expensive rare cards, so I do think there's an extra incentive for buying boxes and hoping to get lucky compared to other TCGs.

And thankfully, Charizard is almost always poo poo in actual play

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I just beat someone with a bunch of VMaxs with the shittily optimised Rayquaza-V deck after thinking I was gonna get totally dunked on.

Feels good and holy poo poo they should have put some flaaffy in that deck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Live is that bad huh? I haven't been paying attention to what the Canadians are saying about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty much everything other than getting cards is a huge step down from what PTCGO is like.

And given that PTCGO is already just "adequate" rather than being any sort of premium experience, going backwards from there is really not a good look.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Christ on a pancake I was hoping for better out of Live. This sucks, maybe I'll have to give in and jump ship to MTG Arena or something unless Pokemon can pull it back from the brink.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Did they ever confirm what their super big announcement was they mentioned last week, or was it actually just the minor bug fix update they pushed?

From what I've seen, the beta would be more appropriately called an advanced proof of concept - it's very minimal and has real UI/UX issues. Having not given any kind of timeline or even details on a review cycle/iterative change before it goes into live, and coupled with the fact you can already permanently migrate your account in already, it is a pretty bad sign.

I like the idea behind the trading/dusting thing - having only recently picked it up the leap from the AI opponents to real players is huge, and anything that allows someone to work toward a viable deck more quickly is a good thing. They do seem to have swung to the other extreme and left existing users out in the cold though, and the dull UI and poor experience is not going to help convert those new players into long term users.

The most recent issue I've seen is a move timer of about 10s that starts when a card is played, not when you actually take control, and continues through any animations even if you can't interact . If someone plays a something that makes you discard and search your deck, you can lose entire turns.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that's a real shame. I've been holding off on playing while I wait for the new client. Maybe in another ten years we'll get a good one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Me too, only been opening it up to slam code cards in cause whatever somebody's gotta burn 'em.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I saw the latest set had some cool Espeon and Umbreon cards, and was thinking of making a deck just for the hell of it. I haven’t played in at least fifteen years since I taught my younger cousin how to play.

What would be a decent Psychic/Dark deck to make?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Open Marriage Night posted:

I saw the latest set had some cool Espeon and Umbreon cards, and was thinking of making a deck just for the hell of it. I haven’t played in at least fifteen years since I taught my younger cousin how to play.

What would be a decent Psychic/Dark deck to make?

Speaking of, I have an extra of the alt-art Umbreon Vmax cards from the trader gallery if you're interested in trading (also an extra full art Marnie).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is that the extremely nice looking, and extremely expensive, one? Those alt art cards are the main thing holding me back. I know if I start buying cards for a deck, I’ll want those beauties.

EDIT: For some reason I thought Evolving Skies was the latest set. There’s like two and a half sets after that.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 12, 2022

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Does anyone have any advice on evaluating and selling 1st edition pokemon cards? I recovered a bunch from my parents basement but I'm not sure which are worth getting graded, which I should just sell as singles on TCGplayer and which I should just try and sell in bulk. I also have some weird 2nd gen JP cards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I dug a bunch out when I was home last. Found a first edition foil jungle vaporeon in good condition. It's cool as heck! Found a bunch of other foils too but mostly not first edition. A load of Misty's seadra prereleases lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Partial Octopus posted:

Does anyone have any advice on evaluating and selling 1st edition pokemon cards? I recovered a bunch from my parents basement but I'm not sure which are worth getting graded, which I should just sell as singles on TCGplayer and which I should just try and sell in bulk. I also have some weird 2nd gen JP cards.

I’d be interested in them and can help give some ideas of which may be worth grading. Something to keep in mind is that grading through PSA right now is $100/card, which means you’ll quickly suss out which cards may be worth grading since a 7 or 8 for certain cards may only be worth $100 and not worth grading in the first place. What kind of 1st editions do you have?