Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wendell_T_Stamps posted:

So, I've had 3 shots after making appointments online and giving my insurance info. Is anyone tracking this information? Do you know if I can make an online appt with my real name for a 4th (and pretend I lost my card or something) or is it better to give a fake name? I'm pretty sure no one gives a poo poo but I was hoping to get some insight from folks that have had a 4th. Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseum, too.

It depends on your insurer, which state you live in, and the pharmacy you use.

It's far easier to just simply lie and say that it's your first shot and say you don't have any insurance and give a fake name. You left your ID at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Sunny Side Up posted:

why do they all think it's going to peak? we have no real data. test limits plus home tests and hospitalizations limited or erroneous. deaths just starting to head upward. just a propaganda push?

I really doubt anybody knows exactly when it'll peak.

We just know that eventually, it will.

If for no other reason, it'll peak because the number of people who are either dead or recovered goes up too high for the virus to reach enough uninfected hosts to maintain its momentum. In other words, Rₑ falls below 1.

In other words, if no other check is operating, Omicron burns through so many people that it creates "herd immunity the hard way".

It's like a fire that burns through too much of the nearby combustibles to maintain itself.

Of course, calculating that point is probably trickier than anybody understands, right now.

We only just learned that it's capable of reinfecting people who've already contracted Omicron. So we probably don't really know just how likely Omicron-over-Omicron reinfection is yet.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mbobbish/status/1482802426717560833
:cripes:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

im making a youtube video about how to make an ECMO machine out of a bicycle tire pump and an xbox

Morbus
May 18, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

A bit of reflection on the genetic history of the pandemic ought to make it brutally clear that there is absolutely NFW that any model, no matter how carefully it is fitted to the known properties of the virus and the populations it infects, can possibly hand you anything except worthless trash for results past the next trough.

Because it absolutely cannot predict what the next dominant mutation is going to look like, or what it's salient properties will be.

Not to mention what particular branch of the cladistic diagram it's going to fork off of.

Remember how everyone seemed to think the next variant after Delta was going to be a recent fork off the Delta subtree? Right up until November 23, that is. :newlol:

Predicting which lineage the next variant is gonna come from is never going to be better than a good guess, based on "well, what is the most common variant".

But predictions of which mutations are likely to emerge have been pretty dead-on for, like, over a year now. We know there's a lot of low hanging mutational fruit, so to speak, along different axes like hACE2 binding, conformational escape, FCS efficiency, or INF modulation, and you don't need "a model" to predict that "gee if everyone has antibodies maybe these low-hanging single AA substitutions that confer antibody escape will be selected for".

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Greg Legg posted:

Funny, with all the prepper talk, a friend of mine who actually considers himself a prepper and watches prepper youtube isn't doing too good right now. He doesn't seem to want to accept that covid is real. It's strange

Honest to God never was interested in doom prepping before covid and finding the first renditions of this thread. The closest I got to that was maybe 1000s hours in the fallout games. From what I hear, this thread is keener at figuring out prepper poo poo than even some of the more well known prepper communities online. This is pretty much the thread that will determine which goons DNA is still floating around in the next 100 years or whatever. Networking really seems to be key, and I've noticed that if you can find any local or online communists they are also pretty well versed in prep. I know a commie across the river that I traded some Auras for potatoes.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

christ :d2a:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1482454811199131656

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Morbus posted:

Predicting which lineage the next variant is gonna come from is never going to be better than a good guess, based on "well, what is the most common variant".

But predictions of which mutations are likely to emerge have been pretty dead-on for, like, over a year now. We know there's a lot of low hanging mutational fruit, so to speak, along different axes like hACE2 binding, conformational escape, FCS efficiency, or INF modulation, and you don't need "a model" to predict that "gee if everyone has antibodies maybe these low-hanging single AA substitutions that confer antibody escape will be selected for".

good post

i really ‘like’ the idea that some of these variants spring up in chronic immunocompromised patients, thus resulting in a completely unexpected tree

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

bro at this point america should be amputated from the world like a gangrenous limb

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I'm offering e-classes on home ecmo. You have to buy your own supplies, but I walk the class through an easy 3 step process and its only 20 dollars per session.

home ecmonomics

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9ClI91K98

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Greg Legg posted:

Funny, with all the prepper talk, a friend of mine who actually considers himself a prepper and watches prepper youtube isn't doing too good right now. He doesn't seem to want to accept that covid is real. It's strange

Prepping is, like functionally all forms of political activism, a utopian engagement. One envisions a future that they want and then takes action to bring it about. Often, the logic is that people decide that certain traits are undervalued virtues, and so they want a world where those virtues are given their just dues. For preppers it tends to be a pretty hosed vision where they're shooting starving kids while making tough faces, which is mostly interesting for seeing what kind of gross virtues they value. Violent, callous machismo from action films is what I'm getting at. They want to be seen as the kind of Serious, Independent, Hard Men that our society values but they know that they're not going to be economists so they imagine a world where being ready willing and able to shoot your neighbors is virtuous.

COVID has made something of a mockery of this in several ways. For one, shooting a virus is loving dumb. For another, their notional political allies are the ones who are pretending that everything's fine, creating a cognitive dissonance. And perhaps most importantly, the social order isn't collapsing with the kind of speed and violence that they dreamed about. They dreamed about it like it was The Walking Dead, a 24 hour ripping off of the bandaid. They'd go to bed in the unjust world and wake up in the just one.

Plus many of them are learning that what they have in their dreams and what they have in their lives are not the same. They're just not as big of psychos as they dreamed of being.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I feel like I need to decide if I'm going to keep my officer job or become a full-time prepper, because I don't have time or energy for both.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Plank Walker posted:

home ecmonomics

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm offering e-classes on home ecmo. You have to buy your own supplies, but I walk the class through an easy 3 step process and its only 20 dollars per session.

unsure if the correct response here is "hey, that was a pretty good joke" or "congratulations on your presumably wildly successful business, are you leaving the conventional workforce for good?"

PerniciousKnid posted:

I feel like I need to decide if I'm going to keep my officer job or become a full-time prepper, because I don't have time or energy for both.

if you're an officer and a cspammer this is easy, ACAB

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Greg Legg posted:

I have definitely become some flavor of prepper over the past two years, and one of the questionably-useful ways I've responded to the pandemic has been building emergency kits (of the bug-out-backpack style) and giving them away to friends. Like, the kits aren't going to really help with a pandemic, and I know this, but I keep building them and giving them away.

I've also given out a lot of N95 masks and a fair number of respirators too, and those are much more concretely helpful in the current situation, so I'm not only handing out useless preps.

What I really want, at this point, is a good parcel of land. Very hard to find one that is decently sized, decent terrain, and located in the "close but not too close to civilization" range. I thought I found one and actually went and walked around on it this week, but apparently someone has already put it under contract.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

CPU Abuser posted:

I really doubt anybody knows exactly when it'll peak.

We just know that eventually, it will.

If for no other reason, it'll peak because the number of people who are either dead or recovered goes up too high for the virus to reach enough uninfected hosts to maintain its momentum. In other words, Rₑ falls below 1.

In other words, if no other check is operating, Omicron burns through so many people that it creates "herd immunity the hard way".

It's like a fire that burns through too much of the nearby combustibles to maintain itself.

Of course, calculating that point is probably trickier than anybody understands, right now.

We only just learned that it's capable of reinfecting people who've already contracted Omicron. So we probably don't really know just how likely Omicron-over-Omicron reinfection is yet.

that's kinda dependent on the idea of long lasting immunity though, isn't it? i mean yeah it'll peak, then fall back down, then you'll have reservoirs of covid here and there, and eventually waning immunity plus decreased public health measures everywhere (because lol if you think masks won't go out the window the moment things look "good enough") will just bring us back to exponential growth territory for another cycle of this sisyphean goddamn endless nightmare

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Greg Legg posted:

I am reminded of the scene from Tremors. It's not this scene, but it's shortly after this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFQ0_1g87Bo

the preppers are going over the insane list of stuff they prepared for, and then shake their fist and their shattered basement wall and say "through the GROUND. You BASTARDS!" like it was their Achilles heel.

The kind of social breakdown and failures of various social contracts we are seeing now, are stark and killing people, but, we're also nowhere (yet) near the desert of skulls wasteland. People who spent a bunch of time prepping for moving straight to Desert of Skulls probably didn't really think about what the collapse process would look like, and certainly were not thinking about a mass casualty pandemic that's lethal enough to upend society without being nearly lethal enough to end it and, again, move straight to Desert of Skulls. To the extent "preppers" think about pandemics, it's probably from the perspective of something like 28 days later, also, they assume they are the protagonists.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Omicron will peak in the next couple weeks (nationally anyway) because it'll run into fewer and fewer viable infection paths due to people either already catching it, or staying the gently caress home

But the decline will still be take another month and a half, just like the rise

And before it gets to anything resembling "low daily cases" (whatever that means anymore) the next variant's wave will start.

Simply put: lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Anyone have tips for fit testing a cloth mask?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My brother works for a public university in PA and just texted me to told me he's sick with covid he caught there despite masking and vaccination. He's quarantining in his basement but he's got a five month old baby at home.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Fit it into a trash can and buy a respirator or N95

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Don't really want to be a prepper, just not to be sitting in a city apartment when the next variant rolls through. If they'd just shut down the bars and restaurants and do school online for a while the city could probably be somewhat safe but nope.

It's super cold here this weekend and it occurs to me that living in a house means the boiler is your problem if it fails. Probably not fun replacing one of those during an uncontrolled pandemic.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Imagine if this poor gently caress had to subsist on vegetables, like they do in China, instead of getting a proper American meal like this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

protein... puck

that doesn't even sound like a food

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

WarEternal posted:

Imagine if this poor gently caress had to subsist on vegetables, like they do in China, instead of getting a proper American meal like this.

NYT report: China cruelly deprives its quarantined citizens access to chicken fingies in a strikingly authoritarian move that has been compared to the Armenian Genocide

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

smoobles posted:

Omicron will peak in the next couple weeks (nationally anyway) because it'll run into fewer and fewer viable infection paths due to people either already catching it, or staying the gently caress home

And before it gets to anything resembling "low daily cases" (whatever that means anymore) the next variant's wave will start.

Embedded assumption: catching omicron increases, rather than decreases immunity.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

NYT report: China cruelly deprives its quarantined citizens access to chicken fingies in a strikingly authoritarian move that has been compared to the Armenian Genocide

Lol the NYT acknowledges the Armenian Genocide through gritted teeth if at all because Turkey and Turkish nationalism are key levers against Russia (and now China too)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

UN should investigate humans rights issue since people in China didn't get access to McRib while in quarantine.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

My experience with getting into mechanical maintenance (for bicycles) has been that the hardest part is convincing yourself you can do it. Its such a good feeling when you fix something and its still fixed like years later because you did an above and beyond job that a shop wouldn't have bothered with.

Yeah, I am plagued with doubt when it comes to being able to do anything with my hands (wonder if this is a common symptom of being a member of the The Gay Tour). But there's really no reason why that should be the case, just need to get over that initial hump.

Kylaer posted:

What I really want, at this point, is a good parcel of land. Very hard to find one that is decently sized, decent terrain, and located in the "close but not too close to civilization" range. I thought I found one and actually went and walked around on it this week, but apparently someone has already put it under contract.

Not doing this before the pandemic is one of my biggest regrets. We had plans to move from WA to VT to find a small plot of land or a very small house in the woods, but then COVID derailed things and now we're stuck in this apartment complex.

Wonder what prepper things you can reasonably accomplish living in a small 1BR apartment, aside from bean, rice, and 7093 hoarding. Recently started filling old jugs of whey protein with water too. I wish I'd been more on top of preparing for the earthquake threat when it was safe to go into stores.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

smoobles posted:

At this point the "good" option is "actually immunity to omicron is so poor that it can reinfect many people after mere weeks", because the alternative is we just get an even worse variant soon*

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mayor Dave posted:

Get a better mask. then throw the cloth one into the trash where it belongs.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The kind of social breakdown and failures of various social contracts we are seeing now, are stark and killing people, but, we're also nowhere (yet) near the desert of skulls wasteland. People who spent a bunch of time prepping for moving straight to Desert of Skulls probably didn't really think about what the collapse process would look like, and certainly were not thinking about a mass casualty pandemic that's lethal enough to upend society without being nearly lethal enough to end it and, again, move straight to Desert of Skulls. To the extent "preppers" think about pandemics, it's probably from the perspective of something like 28 days later, also, they assume they are the protagonists.

I don't think we'll ever see Mad Max wasteland apocalypse. I do think we will see societal decline of the post-Soviet Russia flavor, and having a place of refuge that is equipped to handle things like rolling blackouts as the power grid slowly breaks down seems valuable. And real security is only found in numbers, nobody alone is going to be safe, so it needs to be a compound, or a commune, or something similarly big enough to house not just you, but enough of your circle that you can take care of each other. Also, there's no point in being a sole survivor. If you're going to be the only one to make it, what value is living?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i have covid. it's pretty bad. a couple of nights ago I was googling "when to go to the hospital with covid symptoms" because every breath was pretty awful. it was better the next day. about the same today but I can't smell or taste. i can tell when stuff is salty and soda still has a carbonated feel and I can tell that it's sugary but I couldn't pick out a Dr pepper from a diet coke. not that ive tried. it's hard to believe people think this is anything like a cold.

ive been mostly ignoring the details and news coverage. when I try to Google poo poo and find things out I'm shocked at how impossible it is to find poo poo that agrees with other poo poo. even non-crank sounding websites don't agree on when your sense of smell goes away, whether it is an indication of severity of other symptoms, whatever. im tired.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

protein... puck

that doesn't even sound like a food

like some poo poo from snowpiercer

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i have covid. it's pretty bad. a couple of nights ago I was googling "when to go to the hospital with covid symptoms" because every breath was pretty awful. it was better the next day. about the same today but I can't smell or taste. i can tell when stuff is salty and soda still has a carbonated feel and I can tell that it's sugary but I couldn't pick out a Dr pepper from a diet coke. not that ive tried. it's hard to believe people think this is anything like a cold.

ive been mostly ignoring the details and news coverage. when I try to Google poo poo and find things out I'm shocked at how impossible it is to find poo poo that agrees with other poo poo. even non-crank sounding websites don't agree on when your sense of smell goes away, whether it is an indication of severity of other symptoms, whatever. im tired.

get a pulse oximeter immediately, friend. if it gets to 90% go to the hospital.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I'm sorry you're not well. Hopefully you turn a corner soon.

Imo the best way to tell if you should go to the ER is getting yourself a pulsoximeter. Probably should go in if you are consistently below 90% o2 saturation. Normal levels are >95%. Others may have other thoughts on the threshold.

Loss of smell / taste aren't related to your blood oxygen though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hexigrammus posted:

drat. I hadn't thought about what this is doing to people with PTSD. I've been caretaking my elderly father in law and trying to deal with his dementia. There are five of us running interference for him with the bureaucracy but it's been incredibly difficult because we keep running into holes in the Health Services org charts and the few left are not leaving the office. I keep wondering what life is like for vulnerable people who don't have someone with the time and patience to stalk the remaining health care professionals and threaten (politely, :canada:) to kick doors in if calls aren't returned.

Hang in there, man. I'll think about you guys when I'm feeling sorry for myself. "No Dad, do not call 911 to report Mom kidnapped. She died of cancer last month." is trivial.

I’m sorry you’re going through that. At least being wrapped up in the flag means that there was always a “floor” for how much VAC could gently caress up before, lest someone run off to the media or their MP. People with identical issues from regular life don’t even have that leverage.

To your point about “client driven services model”, that was always kind of how you solved issues before: You could always sit in someone’s office until they saw you. It created this situation where if you were unable to, because of geography or just not functioning well enough, you were on their schedule (hosed). I mean, even how VAC works is you have to ask for specific services and benefits and do the paperwork, which means that the least functional people have the least access to services they need the most. It reminds me of the “Access To” clause in liberal policies that gets brought up here all the time.

VAC offices are also the only place in Canada I’ve seen, other than police stations and some government buildings where the reception has that reinforced plexiglass with a little slot and tray to pass documents through.

The problem with the pandemic is that there were already lots of guys who were barely functional and so were not up to navigating a complex bureaucracy, articulating their needs, and then devoting the time and energy in working the system to make it happen. Home visits were as close as the system got to Push-Logistics rather than Pull-Logistics, because at least then the case manager would know they weren’t doing well, as opposed to expecting them to report that there weren’t doing well by scheduling a Google Teams appointment 4 months out via a MyVAC form.

I don’t know, I’m pensioned for life so I’m getting paid through all this, which is another example of veterans having what everybody going through this should have, but the pandemic is not exactly conducive to human flourishing eh?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol this isn't even good protein content. there's some there but you'd probably get a similar to ratio of calories::protein with loving macaroni and cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oops I meant to attach this

Only registered members can see post attachments!