Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those jokes are timeless.

Crab Dad posted:

Was blow jobs not invented yet?

Dude, only the French savages practice such wanton offenses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Dude, only the French savages practice such wanton offenses!

Come on. I'm French and we all know it is those Spanish that practice such dark arts.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

A very traditional comic today, Shelley and Amy united. I’ve featured a lot of friendships in my comics, but this is my favourite.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is going to go one of two ways:

1. Wilbur lives...somehow...and Estelle feels like she has to take care of him so she agrees to marry him.
2. Wilbur doesn't live, and for reasons unknown Estelle feels a sense of obligation because they were fighting before he took a drunken leap.

Look at it this way, if Estelle feels guilty, it's something Mary can meddle in.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hey, Linda. You know that totem you keep around that represents your husband's CTE and gradual descent into early-onset dementia? The one that you project all your grief onto?
Yeah, possibly even the one he wore when he intentionally drove off the road?
Can we borrow that for a gag?

...oh, you know I'm going to stand in the background of the final panel and look smug about it, no worries there! Yeah, while she's wearing your dead husband's gear. It's a pretty good joke, I'm satisfied with this.

Uh-huh...you still think you got shortchanged by the suicide arc ending over a month before its announced length so we could do another couple months of Lisa misery strips? I...uhh, your signal's cutting out, I think I'm losing you, bye.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

[list]
[*]A Gentleman happening to turn up against an House to make Water, did not see two young Ladies looking out of a Window close by him, 'till he heard them giggling, then looking towards them, he asked, what made them so merry? O! Lord, Sir, said one of them, a very little Thing will make us laugh.
Things like this make me think that dick jokes are as old as humanity. Neanderthals were probably making dick jokes.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Standard dunking on Dustin aside, the art is pretty good today. Also that’s an unusually good joke to the point where I thought it was an edit at first.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is going to go one of two ways:

1. Wilbur lives...somehow...and Estelle feels like she has to take care of him so she agrees to marry him.
2. Wilbur doesn't live, and for reasons unknown Estelle feels a sense of obligation because they were fighting before he took a drunken leap.
Wilbur dies and Estelle writes a book about him and eventually testifies before Congress about cruise ship safety.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

This couldn't possibly be some king of transparent ruse!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Did Sassy get rebooted as a cat? I'm just about certain that she was a dog, back in the days of the jackelrod.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Wilbur dies and Estelle writes a book about him and eventually testifies before Congress about cruise ship safety.

She becomes an advocate for the WILBUR Act, or Watchdog for Intoxicated Losers who Belly flop into Underwater Risks.

(It needs work but I was having trouble coming up with an acronym for his name.)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

JethroMcB posted:

Uh-huh...you still think you got shortchanged by the suicide arc ending over a month before its announced length so we could do another couple months of Lisa misery strips? I...uhh, your signal's cutting out, I think I'm losing you, bye.

I thought it got cut short because the Pizza Box Monster had to return?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Presto posted:

Things like this make me think that dick jokes are as old as humanity. Neanderthals were probably making dick jokes.

The oldest one we know if is from the 10c AD Exeter Book, an Anglo-Saxon book of poetry and riddles:

quote:

A curiosity hangs by the thigh of a man, under its master’s cloak. It is pierced through in the front; it is stiff and hard and it has a good standing-place. When the man pulls up his own robe above his knee, he means to poke with the head of his hanging thing that familiar hole of matching length which he has often filled before.

The answer is a key, you perverts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

She becomes an advocate for the WILBUR Act, or Watchdog for Intoxicated Losers who Belly flop into Underwater Risks.

(It needs work but I was having trouble coming up with an acronym for his name.)

WATR. Widows Against Titanic Re-enactments

yeah yeah they never got married i don't care

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

Did Sassy get rebooted as a cat? I'm just about certain that she was a dog, back in the days of the jackelrod.
Sassy sounded familiar but I didn't make the connection. Looks like yeah the made Sassy a cat.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I was thinking the same. Rusty's dog Sassy used to be, well, a dog. Not an especially attractive dog, but a dog all the same. (Anybody still have that panel of Sassy and it just says "SASSY!" at the bottom? It was beautiful.)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Presto posted:

There's a bunch preserved in the graffiti at Pompeii, as I recall.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

maltesh posted:

I thought it got cut short because the Pizza Box Monster had to return?

Ha! I almost went with pizza box monster but couldn't remember the exact timing and figured Les Moore: Saddest Man in the World was the safer pick

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hobnob posted:

There's a bunch preserved in the graffiti at Pompeii, as I recall.
Famously archaeologists thought Pompeii was full of brothels and places where you could buy sex because that's what they classified every single building that had graffiti of a dick on it as.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: Chrysler is begging for money because "it's just so hard to comply with regulations and we're making so little money now and consumers are only buying small cars in response to the gas crisis can you believe that", and they took out a full page ad trying to convince people that this is normal and good(and not them grifting because they want to make money while still making lovely cars nobody wants).

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake/Johnny Hazard aren't on Sundays.

90s Overboard

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Success! :hai:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hostile V posted:

Famously archaeologists thought Pompeii was full of brothels and places where you could buy sex because that's what they classified every single building that had graffiti of a dick on it as.

I mean.... men worked all over as farmers and traders. Got a better place to set up shop than the local big city? Seem like cities have always focused on things men want to separate them from their money.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Crab Dad posted:

I mean.... men worked all over as farmers and traders. Got a better place to set up shop than the local big city? Seem like cities have always focused on things men want to separate them from their money.

They mean that penis graffiti was extremely common and found on buildings that we've since found weren't brothels

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Powerful Katrinka posted:

They mean that penis graffiti was extremely common and found on buildings that we've since found weren't brothels

Either way nothing's been proven other than dudes like to draw dicks on things.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 17, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Crab Dad posted:

Either way nothing's been proven other than dudes like to draw dicks on things.

I mean, it's been proven that a lot of the buildings we originally thought were brothels, actually weren't precisely because people have always loved obscene graffiti. It had a regular number of brothels, it wasn't full of whorehouses like we used to think

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 17, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 17, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 30-31, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have never been more invested in comics than I am in ChaCha Chako and Mary Worth right now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Oh my, hoisted by his petard

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Aragones

Love is Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

https://twitter.com/iamsteranko/status/1482937594451312643
https://twitter.com/iamsteranko/status/1482938892047335428

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
NO GODDAMNIT NOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
that fat gently caress was supposed to drown

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 17, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GODDAMMIT THEY WERE SELLING SHIRTS AND EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
lol at everyone who tried to kick the football thinking "surely this time Lucy won't pull it away!"

So now we're right on track for Wilbur and Estelle to be reunited at some point in the future and for her to apologize profusely for what happened to him, because she thinks it's all her fault for rejecting him.