Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

One thingikaruga got right was making the hole game an ugly brown mess 5 years before ps3 and 360 games were invented. Triple edit: should be a holy quadronity since un sqadron (snes ver only) is easily the equal of jets n guns but not raptor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Raptor is ftw as hell. Had a Windows 3.1 machine growing up so I lived off demo CDs of DOS games.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

the first game i ever beat was 1942 on nes and i've never beaten another shmup

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im checking out blazing star. so far it seems cool and it has an intro with classic bug eyed anime girls. after that it might be abttle garegega

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I've never played ikaruga but maddox always made it sound dope

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
3+ New Super Mario Brothers 2 (All Star Coins, All Secret Exits, All Moon Coins)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
gat drat sekiro is kicking my rear end. feel like i'm not even at the first boss (beat a few generals and the..ogre dude?) and im struggling so much on the lil mini dudes, the lil babbies. am i supposed to go further into the Harata(sp?) estate, or gently caress up more of the Ashina Castle?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

gat drat sekiro is kicking my rear end. feel like i'm not even at the first boss (beat a few generals and the..ogre dude?) and im struggling so much on the lil mini dudes, the lil babbies. am i supposed to go further into the Harata(sp?) estate, or gently caress up more of the Ashina Castle?

this is standard for sekiro lol. the ogre guy has some hosed up animations that can murk you instantly.. but the Hirata Estate is the best spot to farm xp/money in the early game

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. I'm actually shocked at how much I liked this one. Birthright was mediocre at best but this one fixed a lot of my issues with it--Conquest is more of a challege, has more varied objectives than just "rout all enemies" or "defeat the boss" like every BR map (Awakening too for that matter), and the story despite its flaws landed its emotional/character beats a lot better. I'd put it about on par with Awakening which I liked a lot, Conquest felt better in terms of map design and mission structure but Awakening has much better story and characters and feels a little better balanced so I don't know exactly how I'd rank the two. The whole premise of the game and the multiple paths--that your character is torn between their birth and adoptive families and has to pick a side in the war between them--was pulled off way better in this one, there's some real pathos with both families in this route while in Birthright the only good dramatic or emotional moments are with the family you sided against so you just felt like you made the wrong choice. Which I guess you did because this game's way way better.

I'm not excited for Revelations based on what I've heard about it but I'll probably start it soon anyway for completion's sake since I've done two of the three now routes. In Training calling it "awesomely lovely" at least has me interested that it might be the funny kind of bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

the "holy tromity" of shmups: jets n guns, raptor.call

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lady Radia posted:

Sekiro has a bunch of different ways you can go very early, you found two of them. I don't think there's a clear "best" or "supposed" route, just poke around in the routes you have open until you find enough upgrades and/or practice so you stop getting owned

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I keep losing track of which direction I'm facing when I'm playing Sekiro lol.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That's legitly the main reason I play it for 3 hours every 6 months.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

That's legitly the main reason I play it for 3 hours every 6 months.

I play it for 4 hours every 5 months.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1. Metro: Exodus (Good Ending): Enjoyed it less than the bad ending simply because I think the best parts of the game are the more linear sections instead of the „open world“ and I have to interact way more with the open world to get the good ending. Game has some pretty awesome high points, but also lot of stuff I didn‘t really enjoy, plus the eurojank.
2. Steamworld Dig: Cool game, short, charming. Definitely gonna pick up the second game as I hear it‘s even better. Makes me want to replay Cave Story somehow.
3. Monkey Island 1. Just the annual thing. All-time classic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There is definitely an intended route in Sekiro. Anyway OP that is normal so stay trucking! Being flying tackled and heaved off the cliff by chain ogre ftw

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

Hirata is a good tutorial - if you might say so - to managing larger packs of enemies in regard to the vertical movement that is available. It also introduces one (or two?, might have to replay it) mini-bosses that teach a counter technique. You can get a couple of very important upgrades there that will help you further on. There is a single path that might confront you with someone you shouldn't deal with yet, he is dressed in purple.

The later parts become a bit more wild, especially in how to engage them, but they also teach a good lesson of how to face some mini-bosses.

I recommend dealing with it before going deeper into Ashina, but it's not unlike Central Yharnam in Bloodborne in that the difficulty seems completely off scale so early on.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

Not to be the tenth guy to fall through the door and say that’s the game teaching you to play but yeah that’s how you learn to play sekiro. Exploring the bigger areas gets much easier as you gain more control of wolf. You’ll get it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

American McGay posted:

Raptor is ftw as hell. Had a Windows 3.1 machine growing up so I lived off demo CDs of DOS games.

hell yeah, played so much Apogee/early Epic shareware that way

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

hell yeah, played so much Apogee/early Epic shareware that way
Probably the only kid in the universe with fond memories of Hocus Pocus.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this is standard for sekiro lol. the ogre guy has some hosed up animations that can murk you instantly.. but the Hirata Estate is the best spot to farm xp/money in the early game

Just saw that you said you already beat the ogre, so my bad. In my defense I was extremely wasted last night.

Hirata Estate is still a good option, however.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

First game of the year complete - Unsighted. I only even heard about this through Iron Pineapple's souls games you've never heard of series but I think this is being massively slept on. It's pretty much a straight cross between a 2D Zelda and a Metroid, there's practically no distinctions between dungeons and field areas either so everywhere ties into each other through loads of map links and and can sequence broken wide open through movement techs and secret equipment applications. You can really tell the dev really liked Twilight Princess too because it's straight up got the spinner and dual hookshots but they're both insanely useful movement options in this game and the stars of the show. Also the entire thing looks like an insanely lush 2D PS1 game with 90s anime cyberpunk aesthetic, just a complete treat from start to finish

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

No Dignity posted:

First game of the year complete - Unsighted. I only even heard about this through Iron Pineapple's souls games you've never heard of series but I think this is being massively slept on. It's pretty much a straight cross between a 2D Zelda and a Metroid, there's practically no distinctions between dungeons and field areas either so everywhere ties into each other through loads of map links and and can sequence broken wide open through movement techs and secret equipment applications. You can really tell the dev really liked Twilight Princess too because it's straight up got the spinner and dual hookshots but they're both insanely useful movement options in this game and the stars of the show. Also the entire thing looks like an insanely lush 2D PS1 game with 90s anime cyberpunk aesthetic, just a complete treat from start to finish

I started this a week or two ago and it seemed fun. I’ll pick it back up again now I think

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

American McGay posted:

Probably the only kid in the universe with fond memories of Hocus Pocus.

I liked hocus pocus. I begged my parents for the full game and they bought me Mystic Towers instead lol.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
took another 5 seconds off my tgm1 pb....next one will be sub-10 for sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJA0dwSnWuE

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mbt posted:

I liked hocus pocus. I begged my parents for the full game and they bought me Mystic Towers instead lol.

me too. they've been filming the sequel around here for the past couple of months

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Unsighted was good. I wasnt paying attention and let the fairy doe adter a cutscenes roght toward the end. Oh well.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1) Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster

Awesome game, couldn’t pick a better one to start the year off.

It was a lot harder than I remember. I had to lean really heavy on Mix, Gil Toss, And Rapid Fire/Spell Blade to beat some of the last bosses. I might try the four job fiesta out this year and try to use some of the shittier classes and see how far I can get. I hear Blue Magic and Item Throw are both really strong but I barely used them.

These Pixel Remasters kick rear end, they look fantastic (other than the font lol) and every song remaster is amazing. I bet the FFVI is insane.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Langrisser remake. Nothing more than a curiosity for SRPG-heads but the presentation was cool. They made it trivially easy so I’m not sure about doing the second one

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mycophobia posted:

took another 5 seconds off my tgm1 pb....next one will be sub-10 for sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJA0dwSnWuE

Impressive. Rooting for ya.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

mbt posted:

I definitely remember having the full versions of hocus pocus, mystic towers, halloween harry/alien carnage and blake stone on cd-rom and I played a lot of all of them

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

nobody liked my joke because i didn't put a period at the end.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i wasnt really paying attention and htought yall were actually talking about the movie

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

No Dignity posted:

that's like five selling points at once, I should check it out

fadam posted:

1) Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster

Awesome game, couldn’t pick a better one to start the year off.

It was a lot harder than I remember. I had to lean really heavy on Mix, Gil Toss, And Rapid Fire/Spell Blade to beat some of the last bosses. I might try the four job fiesta out this year and try to use some of the shittier classes and see how far I can get. I hear Blue Magic and Item Throw are both really strong but I barely used them.

These Pixel Remasters kick rear end, they look fantastic (other than the font lol) and every song remaster is amazing. I bet the FFVI is insane.
fiesta rocks, I'm looking forward to doing it on the remaster the first time. I've done a bunch of dumb combos, hmu if you have issues

also: do you know how to fix the font? If it works like it did for FF1, it's super simple

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

me too. they've been filming the sequel around here for the past couple of months

This is so stupid lfmao. Blonde bimbo witch FTW though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Animal Crossing New Horizons: Happy Home Paradise.

Designed 30 homes and saw the epic event.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

that's like five selling points at once, I should check it out

fiesta rocks, I'm looking forward to doing it on the remaster the first time. I've done a bunch of dumb combos, hmu if you have issues

also: do you know how to fix the font? If it works like it did for FF1, it's super simple

I saw a guide for it on Steam but I didn’t check it out. It didn’t really bother me after a few minutes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
thanks for the advice all! stocked up on pellets and diving back to the estate now, i took a bit of time beating up parts of ashina to feel more comfortable with wolf too. i platinum'd bloodborne, i can handle this*!!!

*might eat these words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

thanks for the advice all! stocked up on pellets and diving back to the estate now, i took a bit of time beating up parts of ashina to feel more comfortable with wolf too. i platinum'd bloodborne, i can handle this*!!!

*might eat these words

Imo hirata is the second step as the final boss there is definitely intended to be faced after the first boss in the Ashina area. Perhaps you faced him already as you mentioned some generals but if not I'd complete him before returning to Hirata. He'll roar his name at you in a wonderful boss entry so that's how you know it's him lol. The skill he checks vs the skill check of the boss in Hirata imo make them an ascending challenge to face this way. But like others said there will often be multiple paths so fight along each as far as you feel comfortable and do your best!