Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

The problem with this is that the show is very unapologetic about the characters being good and right. Which is so confusing when Mimi's song about Mark not living his life at the fullest is about not doing heroin with her.

TBF, it's weird cause there are a couple of points where the show seems to portray these actions as unsympathetic or wrong (like Mark calling her out on needing heroin to be fine, or the homeless person being pissed at Mark using her to make "art" without caring at all about her as a human being)...but then the show drives at home multiple times how these people are, indeed, good. So good in fact that the power of their feelings can reverse death :v:

yeah I edited my post but it was mostly just to say the same thing but clearer I hope.

Mark is potentially the least lovely of his wack-rear end collective, and he almost makes it, but the brain-rot from cosplaying as the impoverished down-trodden plebe gets the better of him in the end.

oldpainless posted:

At some point on this forum I said the 1992 version of Dracula was terrible and a bad movie and after rewatching it tonight I will say, for the first time in my life, I was wrong and that was a bad post.

this movie whips rear end. dracula's fluted red armor is the illest fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah I edited my post but it was mostly just to say the same thing but clearer I hope.

Mark is potentially the least lovely of his wack-rear end collective, and he almost makes it, but the brain-rot from cosplaying as the impoverished down-trodden plebe gets the better of him in the end.

this movie whips rear end. dracula's fluted red armor is the illest fit

I've got a picture somewhere of Dracula in anime as gently caress massive red armour and it's a look that suits.

One day I'll do that Pendragon campaign where Sir Belmont and their friends face off against the forces of Dracula in a tournament to decide the fate of the realm.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my college friends described Bram Stoker's Dracula as "Francis Ford Coppola filming an incredibly well-funded high school play" and I think it's surprisingly accurate.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rewatched Alien and:

Where is the rain coming from then Brett is poking around looking for the cat or whatever he;s doing? Aren't they in space and inside a ship? Or is it supposed to be condensation dripping off the equipment or something? I'd never thought about it before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Everything on the Nostromo is busted and leaky. All hosed up like a worn out old cargo ship.

Who knows what that hallway is. Maybe it's where they put the chains to get rusty?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

scott apparently says in interviews it’s moisture condensors or whatever but you could also say it’s stuff falling from the landing gear since that’s the room they’re in

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Jan 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A big point of Alien is that the Nostromo is an OSHA nightmare from every angle. Event Horizon is quite deliberately similar.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that’s where they store their rain

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot to critique about Rent, and I do agree that it misses the political forces that made the AIDS epidemic as bad as it was during the late 80s, but I don't really agree that Mark is some bougie guy pretending to be poor. Maybe he came from a more affluent background than most, but he genuinely seems to believe in his art and repeatedly rejects the comforts of selling out or coming back home, even when he wouldn't be judged for doing so. In our current age the idea of preserving one's integrity against the forces of capitalism is kind of alien concept, but 35 years ago there were people who truly believed that things like art and human creativity could withstand the process of commodification and mass production.

Nah, nah, I know guys exactly like that and they don't deserve any credit. One guy in particular ran away from a high school field trip in India to basically gently caress around with a bunch of backpackers, do lsd, and swim in the Ganges. He came back with a bunch of intestinal parasites he refused to get treated and talked about how he met Shiva while tripping balls and is now a guru. Later he ran away into the woods for a week and came back bragging about how he was able to fend for himself. Spent the next couple years train hopping, panhandling, and couch surfing. His parents are loaded as hell and the only reason he did all this was because he knew deep down that at any point he could just turn around and go home where he had everything he could ever want. It was all just fun and games where he was never actually in a precarious situation. Everyone else I knew who was working class thought he was a joke because we actually had to worry about our future and making ends meet. Last I heard someone beat the poo poo out of him for sleeping with his girlfriend and he moved to Florida to work as a yoga instructor. A happy ending

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

e: whoops, internet flipped out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mark is hardcore into poverty tourism, gets called out by an actual poor person for exploiting them, and learns nothing and does not reflect on it. He also gets a job offer during the musical and takes it, then continues to exploit his friends for free labor and work for his film.

The weirdest part of a musical where someone gets resurrected is that a character reprograms an ATM to give out free money and its just a like "oh yeah that happens" aside.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel it all sums up late capitalism so very well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, what the gently caress is a "password" for an ATM and if you're talking about a PIN, ANGEL is 5 letters so what the hell did he do the the machine? I don't give a poo poo about dog murderers, I want a musical about this techno wizard

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
La Vie Bohemme is one of the worst songs in the history of the stage and I'm including everything that fell out of Andrew Lloyd Webber's empty loving head. We're supposed to sympathize with a group of people that show up to a restaurant, order a bunch of poo poo, never pay for anything, and then stage choreographed musical numbers while people are trying to eat? It also keeps interrupting itself with snippets of other songs from elsewhere in the play, and half the lyrics are slogans and affirmations stolen from activist groups and marginalized communities at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cats at least doesn't even try to make sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

La Vie Bohemme is one of the worst songs in the history of the stage and I'm including everything that fell out of Andrew Lloyd Webber's empty loving head. We're supposed to sympathize with a group of people that show up to a restaurant, order a bunch of poo poo, never pay for anything, and then stage choreographed musical numbers while people are trying to eat? It also keeps interrupting itself with snippets of other songs from elsewhere in the play, and half the lyrics are slogans and affirmations stolen from activist groups and marginalized communities at the time.

Wasn't there a goon who talked about their highschool theater kids trying to do this in real life and getting kicked out/the cops called on them?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

half the lyrics are slogans and affirmations stolen from activist groups and marginalized communities at the time.
This is what really sucks about Rent.

All the important themes and representation are side dressing for what the characters really care about : do whatever the gently caress they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want. This is because, no matter how diverse the cast can be, all the characters are in the end an expression of white, wealthy 90s American sensibilities.

It's more or less this in long form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Wasn't there a goon who talked about their highschool theater kids trying to do this in real life and getting kicked out/the cops called on them?

Even if it was another case of stdh, it certainly feels like something that's happened.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I just watched Midnight Mass and it was honestly a lot better than I was expecting. One of the best parts about it was, get this, there was an actual loving ending. It was a complete story. One of the reasons I put off watching it was because I didn't realize it was a limited series. And thats my IIMM: so many modern "prestige" series are just gigantic wastes of time because there's some expectation that they will continue into perpetuity so they end up with tons of filler and padding that goes nowhere and adds nothing to the story. Mysteries drag on with no resolution and often the shows get canceled in the middle of some cliffhanger. Even when they do continue, they usually lose the plot as the writers scramble to come up with ways to keep the show going. It sucks. I really want more limited series where there is a coherent vision and a complete story arc with at least the attempt at a satisfying conclusion.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I just watched Midnight Mass and it was honestly a lot better than I was expecting. One of the best parts about it was, get this, there was an actual loving ending. It was a complete story. One of the reasons I put off watching it was because I didn't realize it was a limited series. And thats my IIMM: so many modern "prestige" series are just gigantic wastes of time because there's some expectation that they will continue into perpetuity so they end up with tons of filler and padding that goes nowhere and adds nothing to the story. Mysteries drag on with no resolution and often the shows get canceled in the middle of some cliffhanger. Even when they do continue, they usually lose the plot as the writers scramble to come up with ways to keep the show going. It sucks. I really want more limited series where there is a coherent vision and a complete story arc with at least the attempt at a satisfying conclusion.

If you haven't already, watch The Haunting of Hill House.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

That Italian Guy posted:

By the same people The Haunting of Bly Manor is also pretty great.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

By the same people The Haunting of Bly Manor is also pretty great.
I enjoyed that too, but it's probably my least favourite of the three. It felt a bit like they overdid the very subtle ghost thing from Hill House, turning it to 11, since it was so popular the first time around. But in this kind of things, less is quite often more.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Selling out" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. Especially Mark.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

That Italian Guy posted:

Was thinking about it since its by the same guy. I just read the book relatively recently as well. But now I'm having a mild Mandela Effect freakout since I distinctly remember watching a movie adaptation that wasn't The Haunting and I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think La Vie Boheme is cringey but makes sense since the people singing it are like 19 years old so of course they think liking Susan Sontag or Sondheim makes them counter cultural and important.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I think La Vie Boheme is cringey but makes sense since the people singing it are like 19 years old so of course they think liking Susan Sontag or Sondheim makes them counter cultural and important.
As with much of Rent, this would be fine if the show didn't present them as freedom fighters for sticking it to the man (in the form of moving around tables at a restaurant, singing about blunts and shocking all the prudes with their artsy ways).

I've said it before about the whole show, but La Vie Bohéme is literally "Throw it on the ground", but serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You said it earlier on this page lol

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

I have this weird? thing with horror that I always hated it until I started reading Stephen King in my 20s (started with me reading It to get over a phobia after seeing the miniseries when I was like 10 and absolutely loving the novel) and realized it's a lot broader than just either slasher gore or 'small group of people are in a scary location, jamp scares happen'.

I still hate set ups where it's like small family moves into haunted house, family secrets and scariness happens, but I've come to appreciate stuff like Midnight Mass and Archive 84 (which I'm in the middle of now) because the supernatural horror is kind of secondary to the real horror of the regular people and/or an actually compelling mystery that goes beyong a previous owner or ancestor doing something evil and now the new people have to pay or whatever.

My question is, are the Haunting stuff mentioned more of the former or more of the latter?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Len posted:

You said it earlier on this page lol
This is true, but I'd rather watch that 50 times in a row than watch Rent again :v:

Edit: also insomnia is a hell of a thing :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Taeke posted:

I have this weird? thing with horror that I always hated it until I started reading Stephen King in my 20s (started with me reading It to get over a phobia after seeing the miniseries when I was like 10 and absolutely loving the novel) and realized it's a lot broader than just either slasher gore or 'small group of people are in a scary location, jamp scares happen'.

I still hate set ups where it's like small family moves into haunted house, family secrets and scariness happens, but I've come to appreciate stuff like Midnight Mass and Archive 84 (which I'm in the middle of now) because the supernatural horror is kind of secondary to the real horror of the regular people and/or an actually compelling mystery that goes beyong a previous owner or ancestor doing something evil and now the new people have to pay or whatever.

My question is, are the Haunting stuff mentioned more of the former or more of the latter?

More the former generally but some of the ghosts have interesting backstories, like the Bent Neck Lady from Haunting of Hill House - The Bent Neck Lady is a ghost that one of the children keeps seeing, often standing in a corner, or hovering over her while she's in bed, and she's creepy as gently caress. Towards the end of the story, we see what it actually is - that same child is compelled to hang themselves by some supernatural force, and as they fall, they fall straight THROUGH the floor, and are pulled by the rope through every appearence of the Bent Neck Lady - turns out that lady was actually the girl's future self, being dragged backwards through time after her death.

Bly Manor has kind of a neat visual thing where the longer a ghost is trapped in their afterlife, the more of their face erodes away as they forget who they are. Both of the shows also have a bunch of hidden ghosts in multiple shots too, standing in shadows where they can barely be seen, but in screenshots it's like "OH, they WERE there!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Jan 16, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Both of the shows also have
I would spoil that just to be sure because it's such a good thing to experience blind especially in Hill House. A lot of times I was on edge because my unconscious mind had noticed something weird in the scene - like the statue heads being turned to follow the characters in a corridor after a cut.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Good point, I did.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Was thinking about it since its by the same guy. I just read the book relatively recently as well. But now I'm having a mild Mandela Effect freakout since I distinctly remember watching a movie adaptation that wasn't The Haunting and I can't find any reference to it anywhere.

The house on haunted hill maybe? Or Rose Red, the TV miniseries?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Most of the cast of Rent is supposed to be in like their mid-twenties to early thirties :v:

Iirc the only reason Benny gives a poo poo about any of them is because him and Mark were roommates in college.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Am I a cultureless monster if I just find the music really catchy?

I want to go ou-wooooooot tonight

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oldpainless posted:

At some point on this forum I said the 1992 version of Dracula was terrible and a bad movie and after rewatching it tonight I will say, for the first time in my life, I was wrong and that was a bad post.

I'm glad you acknowledge your mistake, because it owns real hard and is also super duper camp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

Most of the cast of Rent is supposed to be in like their mid-twenties to early thirties :v:

Iirc the only reason Benny gives a poo poo about any of them is because him and Mark were roommates in college.
Isn't that just a problem caused by the shared cast between the theatrical musical and the movie (with 9 years between the two releases)?

In the same vein, Even Hansen being played by the same actor. This is what an highschooler looks like!

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jan 16, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The crazy thing is that guy looks 40 but he's only 29.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Isn't that just a problem caused by the shared cast between the theatrical musical and the movie (with 9 years between the two releases)?

In the same vein, Even Hansen being played by the same actor. This is what an highschooler looks like!

I was more referring to some of the stated occupations/history in the movie.

Collins is/was supposed to be a university professor, Benny is a trust fund kid but who's taken over enough of a position to have his own personal money to go throwing around on things like 'buying an entire city block so his friends can live in it rent free'. Mark is the same age as Benny since they were in college together (and presumably, finished college together). Joanne is a Harvard graduate lawyer working for a prestigious law firm, etc etc.

I'll give you maybe like Mimi or Angel might be young, but the rest of the cast at least should be solidly mid-twenties at the earliest, unless there's some serious anime aging going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

SiKboy posted:

The house on haunted hill maybe? Or Rose Red, the TV miniseries?

I figured it out, it was Legend of Hell House. I got it confused because they have very similar stories. Matheson is much more misogynistic than Shirley Jackson, tho

e: House on Haunted Hill with Vincent Price owns. The ending is hilariously bonkers

800peepee51doodoo has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Jan 16, 2022