Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Karma Tornado posted:

Ghost of Tsushima not letting me skip dialogue or cutscenes is just the pits.

It's one of the dumbest decisions that they added that, but only for NG+ runs. Heaven forbid that anyone might ever want to skip a scene, even if they're doing a fourth run in the regular game because they don't want to start with everything unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's one of the dumbest decisions that they added that, but only for NG+ runs. Heaven forbid that anyone might ever want to skip a scene, even if they're doing a fourth run in the regular game because they don't want to start with everything unlocked.

A good compromise is how Souls-like games do it, like Jedi Fallen Order and Dark Souls - an elaborate intro for the boss the first time, then when you run in the room again after dying and respawning, thy are just standing there ready to fight.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

A good compromise is how Souls-like games do it, like Jedi Fallen Order and Dark Souls - an elaborate intro for the boss the first time, then when you run in the room again after dying and respawning, thy are just standing there ready to fight.

Ender Lilies, for all the things it does right, doesn't do this. Most bosses don't have any real cutscenes to speak of, but some have scenes where they, like, slowly rise to their feet and get their weapon. It only takes maybe 5 seconds, maybe a little more, but when you're dying frequently and returning for another round, ready to go, it's just a slightly frustrating time to wait.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Morpheus posted:

Ender Lilies, for all the things it does right, doesn't do this. Most bosses don't have any real cutscenes to speak of, but some have scenes where they, like, slowly rise to their feet and get their weapon. It only takes maybe 5 seconds, maybe a little more, but when you're dying frequently and returning for another round, ready to go, it's just a slightly frustrating time to wait.

Souls games do that, too. Bosses rarely just immediately start wrecking your poo poo. I don't mind it because it usually takes about that long to even run up to them, and the couple moments to get my focus together is handy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Going back to Ghost of Tsushima again, a good/bad thing is that the big duels don't repeat their intro monologues when you die and repeat. Good because I hate repetitive waiting, but bad because the load times are so short that I've had a bunch of times where I reflexively look at my phone during loading screen but the battle's restarted so I'm taking free hits :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Going back to Ghost of Tsushima again, a good/bad thing is that the big duels don't repeat their intro monologues when you die and repeat. Good because I hate repetitive waiting, but bad because the load times are so short that I've had a bunch of times where I reflexively look at my phone during loading screen but the battle's restarted so I'm taking free hits :v:

Didn’t they have to increase load times slightly because you didn’t even have time to read the tips?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the 10 or so years between playing the original SOTC and the ps4 remake, I forgot what happened on the bridge.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
SOTC chat is dragging down Ico for me because I would like to play Ico for the first time but as far as I know it isn't available on PS5.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The PS3 version of Ico is on PSNow, if that's close enough to being on the PS5 for you.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Disco in Yakuza 0 is upsettingly bad. It's pretending to be a rhythm game, but has no actual sense of rhythm. The judgement is all or nothing, you either get full points or drop combo and get 0 points, no "okay"s or "good"s. The actual game is "how many tiles can you land on without doubling over your trail in a very short time limit" and the answer is always "significantly fewer than the AI can." Whether you are allowed to win or not is dependent almost entirely on the AI deciding to mess up this time.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I played through inscryption and while it was kinda fun, SPOILER second and third acts dragged it down painfully. The first act turns over pretty quick, where run to run is fast and you have the puzzle solving to break it up. The aesthetic is bang on creepy and I loved it. The meta video thing was a little hokey but whatever.

Act 2 was so slow compared to act one. Building an infinite loop was fun, but each action and animation took way too loving long and each battle (of which there were many) was a slog.

Act 3 was garbage. It didn't do anything interesting with the game play minus the one boss where you got to set the rules iteratively. By the time I got to the true end I was loving sick of playing the game. Personally the guy should have cut the length of Act 3 in half. I think that would have been really solid.

Agreed. I love the atmosphere and plot, but Act 3 is a total slog and I don't have the patience for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Red Minjo posted:

Disco in Yakuza 0 is upsettingly bad. It's pretending to be a rhythm game, but has no actual sense of rhythm. The judgement is all or nothing, you either get full points or drop combo and get 0 points, no "okay"s or "good"s. The actual game is "how many tiles can you land on without doubling over your trail in a very short time limit" and the answer is always "significantly fewer than the AI can." Whether you are allowed to win or not is dependent almost entirely on the AI deciding to mess up this time.

It looks like a rhythm game but it's not, really. The actual beat of the music and timing has almost nothing to do with it. Yakuza 0 is probably the best yakuza game, but it's got some weird minigames in there (which are still better than some of the minigames that come in later yakuzas)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i never was able to finish even a single round in the batting cages, even at the easiest level. so really the problem is its too realistic

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You're supposed to watch your character change pose while holding the bat, then strike the ball.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the AC Valhalla Skye Island DLC there's a big fight between Eivor and Kassandra but for some reason instead of letting you play this it is just a cutscene.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

In the AC Valhalla Skye Island DLC there's a big fight between Eivor and Kassandra but for some reason instead of letting you play this it is just a cutscene.

That's because Kassandra is so much cooler and better than Eivor that there's no way I'd accept being able to beat her

(I actually know nothing about the dlc, that's just my gut reaction)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has pulled an obnoxious stunt in a chapter filled with godawful game design. I've been playing the romance for one of the companions in the party, named Arue. Chapter 4 takes place in her home city, a place that has a lot of bad memories for her. She's not happy during this part of the game in general, and there's one particular place she specifically asks you to not take her to. So, I haven't brought her to that place and used her very little in general during this part of the game.

Except I'm almost done with this chapter, and when I looked up whether there were any other sidequests to do, it seems I completely and permanently blocked myself out of a big personal story arc for Arue because it's triggered by taking her into the place that she specifically asks you not to bring her to. And because of a quest I did there, the NPC that triggers Arue's first quest inside is no longer there.

Way to loving go, game devs.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i mean, in most games that's a signal for where you should take a conpanion. she's not real, you can't hurt her feelings

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Many games have loyalty mechanics and will punish you for actively antagonizing your followers.

Double that for games like Pathfinder where decisions from the beginning of the game can have consequences that appear towards the end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just save the game and take her there to see what happens

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

Many games have loyalty mechanics and will punish you for actively antagonizing your followers.

Double that for games like Pathfinder where decisions from the beginning of the game can have consequences that appear towards the end.

It's basically a coin flip when a character in a game like that says something like that whether doing the thing means they'll get a huge plot moment, or they'll leave your party forever. It'd be nice if games were clear which one it was.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah it's, generally, awful game design to explicitly tell the player that there'll be negative consequences to doing something, when the opposite is the case. It's another case to be actively subverting something, but here the game is just being misleading to no avail.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Who knew game devs are still taking notes from the scorpion fight in FF7.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has pulled an obnoxious stunt in a chapter filled with godawful game design. I've been playing the romance for one of the companions in the party, named Arue. Chapter 4 takes place in her home city, a place that has a lot of bad memories for her. She's not happy during this part of the game in general, and there's one particular place she specifically asks you to not take her to. So, I haven't brought her to that place and used her very little in general during this part of the game.

Except I'm almost done with this chapter, and when I looked up whether there were any other sidequests to do, it seems I completely and permanently blocked myself out of a big personal story arc for Arue because it's triggered by taking her into the place that she specifically asks you not to bring her to. And because of a quest I did there, the NPC that triggers Arue's first quest inside is no longer there.

Way to loving go, game devs.

Laffo thats diabolically rude

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That sounds like a dumb decision but it's also the most obvious video game sign post there is. A party member mentioned a specific place? Let's absolutely never bring them there.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"if you do this i'll hate you" - character whose combat effectiveness is based off how much they like you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Late-era Telltale games were the worst with this. "The thing you didn't want to happen and explicitly chose against happening happens anyway except five minutes later."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Brass Eye, when an eight-year-old boy is trapped in a space-station with a sex-offender: This is the one thing we didn't want to happen.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Tried to get into Deep Rock Galactic but I don't think it's for me. Getting lost in claustrophobic underground trying to find hoohahs is just not really doing it for me.

Also the I hate how there's so many specific terminals everywhere on the rig that just does one thing. Just give me a menu man.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

2house2fly posted:

Just save the game and take her there to see what happens

I did, and nothing happened. Because the event that triggers her story arc needs one particular character to be there.

If you do a certain sidequest, that character is no longer there. I did that sidequest a long time ago and don't have a save from before that point.

Arue still goes "How could you make me come here?! I specifically asked you not to!" when I enter, then nothing happens because the required NPC to start her quest is no longer present.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cythereal posted:

I did, and nothing happened. Because the event that triggers her story arc needs one particular character to be there.

If you do a certain sidequest, that character is no longer there. I did that sidequest a long time ago and don't have a save from before that point.

Arue still goes "How could you make me come here?! I specifically asked you not to!" when I enter, then nothing happens because the required NPC to start her quest is no longer present.

Lol that's pretty hosed up

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stexils posted:

i never was able to finish even a single round in the batting cages, even at the easiest level. so really the problem is its too realistic

The trick with the batting cages in the Yakuza games is that every particular course always gives you the same pitches in the same order. So if a course pitches in the top-left, then the center, then top-right etc, then those are the places the balls will come in your next playthrough.

So you could play it once and just note down where the pitches came to, then play it again and move your cursor to the locations ahead of time, or do what I do and look up a guide which has done all that work for me ahead of time. It doesn't make the batting minigame good, but it does make it possible to complete without an enormous time investment, and sometimes the rewards are useful.

The dumb thing is that when one of the characters in the Yakuza games was an ex baseball pro, they made a better baseball system that you could actually do without making notes. And then in all subsequent games they threw that system out and despite having multiple different kinds of baseball minigame in later games, never brought back the ex baseball pro or anything to do with the better baseball system he used.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gort posted:

The dumb thing is that when one of the characters in the Yakuza games was an ex baseball pro, they made a better baseball system that you could actually do without making notes. And then in all subsequent games they threw that system out and despite having multiple different kinds of baseball minigame in later games, never brought back the ex baseball pro or anything to do with the better baseball system he used.

If there aren't minigames of dubious quality, is it even really Yakuza?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That baseball pro had a slow-mo ability. The thing is that you had to unlock it in a sidequest, but it's quite easy to finish the entire baseball side-story without ever touching it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

This stretch of the game is deemed the weakest part after the post-ARR slog. From Shadowbringers onwards the story is on fire.

The focal character Lyse appeared before, but for all intents and purposes she is a new character here. And she sucks. She just whines about how bad every situation is like a redditor on a dour news article, and she has no distinguishing traits except her poor taste in hotpants.

The story is broken into separate arcs that tell the same story twice. You try freeing a desert country, then get your rear end kicked, go to Japan and free them from the same oppressors, return to the desert and free them for realsies. Outside of the villain also taking a trip to Japan there's little connection between the two halves.

Three of the six questing zones are set in the desert country, and they suck. If a game is going to be High Fantasy then why bother adding mundane brown zones? They're especially redundant since there's already an identical desert country in the base game.

The story repeats itself with the tropes. In both countries there's a troubled female villain who undergo a form of redemption. It works with the former who is a boxed-in soldier who lacks the pull to change. It's less convincing with the viceroy who commits atrocity after atrocity, never exhibits any growth organically, and is awkwardly handled by the narrative throughout.

Heavensward had two major character deaths that heavily impacted the story and characters. In Stormblood an entire castle collapses on the comic-relief character, and he gets better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

With how Breath of the Wild handles health and stamina upgrades, I really appreciate that they allow you to swap upgrades back and forth between them for a pittance of money. But man, it's implemented in the most aggravating way possible. Giving or taking an upgrade takes a minimum of three dialogue options and an unskippable animation each way. Why can't I just use a counter to say "I'm exchanging five hearts for five stamina, yes I accept the 100 rupee fee"? Just one of several consistently aggravating interface issues that I can't believe made it through testing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

With how Breath of the Wild handles health and stamina upgrades, I really appreciate that they allow you to swap upgrades back and forth between them for a pittance of money. But man, it's implemented in the most aggravating way possible. Giving or taking an upgrade takes a minimum of three dialogue options and an unskippable animation each way. Why can't I just use a counter to say "I'm exchanging five hearts for five stamina, yes I accept the 100 rupee fee"? Just one of several consistently aggravating interface issues that I can't believe made it through testing.

Because BotW doesn't value your time OP

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Because BotW doesn't value your time OP

No it doesn't. There's so much I love in it, but I really want a more focused Zelda experience.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

In order to get through the game's designated water area, you need a specific power. Unlike other powers used to navigate the castle, though, this one isn't a guaranteed drop from a boss, it's a random drop from a regular enemy. What's more, the power allows you to swim, but it only allows you to swim; you can't open chests underwater or use any of your other navigation powers. In order to do that, you need to go to the area past the water area, fight a boss, and get a power that lets you walk underwater.

The entire thing feels so... arbitrary and obnoxious. Like, either have the first power let me do all the underwater stuff I need, or structure the water area such that I can get the second power without needing the first power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

serefin99 posted:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

In order to get through the game's designated water area, you need a specific power. Unlike other powers used to navigate the castle, though, this one isn't a guaranteed drop from a boss, it's a random drop from a regular enemy. What's more, the power allows you to swim, but it only allows you to swim; you can't open chests underwater or use any of your other navigation powers. In order to do that, you need to go to the area past the water area, fight a boss, and get a power that lets you walk underwater.

The entire thing feels so... arbitrary and obnoxious. Like, either have the first power let me do all the underwater stuff I need, or structure the water area such that I can get the second power without needing the first power.

Yeah, I liked the game fine but I spent so much time loving about in that area trying to figure out intended progression before I finally got the power to drop that allowed me to progress. It's such a weird choice to make a necessary progression power a random drop, even if it's not rare.