Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's Star Trek, space is infinitely large and incredibly small.

Naa. That's star wars.
This is almost as dumb as when Neelix found the Talaxians and left to join them in Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah if we don't learn there's more than chance to that meeting, it's preposterously improbable and dumb

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Taear posted:

It's too many coincidences all on top of each other really. She's a female ferengi Damon who owns a ferengi marauder (that she seems to run herself?) that's in a place super far away from where they were that bought him up but never mentioned the federation.
And they don't even seem surprised to see her?? It's just like "Oh hey this is effectively my mum we've randomly met. Anyway, onto the next thing"

Yes, it is 100% plot contrivance that they ran into her. The rest of that stuff can be explained away later if they start getting into the backstories of everyone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why the gently caress are you all talking about star wars in the star trek thread?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

Why the gently caress are you all talking about star wars in the star trek thread?

HD DAD posted:

Listen, Prodigy is decent so we need something to complain about until Picard/Disco starts back up.

We like chatting with fellow trekkers, ok!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prodigy is better than Discovery but it's still really badly written. Don't really care that it's for kids, because plenty of kids media is done well!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The_Doctor posted:

I thought something new other than the Prodigy ep had dropped, but no, the last 100 posts have been bitching about Star Wars for some reason.

My fault. :shrug: All I did was mention I can't be arsed with SW EU content and ask a quick yes/no Mandalorian question and welp.

HD DAD posted:

Listen, Prodigy is decent so we need something to complain about until Picard/Disco starts back up.

There is that. I noticed there've been no complaints except about the pile of concidences re: Ferengi grandma, and frankly said pile is completely acceptable in a kids' show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Prodigy is better than Discovery but it's still really badly written. Don't really care that it's for kids, because plenty of kids media is done well!

This is true but our standards are down to 32%

They can't take much more of this!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We’re at the point of fondly remembering Enterprise!

(Jk it has always rocked)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Meeting Ferengi mom in the middle of space doesn't bother me because tons of TV writing uses coincidences like that to keep a story moving.

What does strike me as weird about Prodigy is that all of the show looks great except the human (or human-ish) characters. The animation style seems better suited toward the more alien designs, while Spock and Janeway look kind of like game renders.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Spock, Beverly and Odo did look really weird, Spock especially. Uhura was fine though and Janeway has always looked fine to me.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HD DAD posted:

We’re at the point of fondly remembering Enterprise!

(Jk it has always rocked)

Enterprise is bad, but it is a bad I understand. Like I see where they are going but everything feels so tired. But it is still a Star Trek show following the Star Trek formula.

In comparison Discovery is a confusing mess and Picard is literally insane, but not in a funny or good way.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Disco used to be insane and it was a good thing. Now it's kinda like enterprise but even more boring (and still not very trek-like.) :sigh: I mean god, if it actually felt like trek I could forgive a lot of flaws. If they can't even do that, I'd rather they just go back to insanity and at least give us something worth laughing at.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 17, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah last season lots of crazy poo poo happened, but this season has been extremely boring. Which is not something I ever thought I'd say about Disco.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

It's just not what we see most, or the aesthetic most people seem to want. Threepio was shiny and new and from tattooine, and owned by a child slave!

No, he wasn't; Threepio was built from parts piece-by-piece from scrap, and didn't even have a casing initially. And when he did finally get one, it was a dull and filthy gray. Golden C-3PO wasn't until he was working for Padme.

Erulisse posted:

Bespinas (:v:) are clearly vintage and restomodded!
Hey clam down a bit, give the show a bit of leeway. Why you are not asking how Hutts got a recently caught Rancor on call? What's the deal with the train etc etc There are a lot of things but none of them are breaking canon

Character design tells its own story, and they stick out like a sore thumb in a show with an otherwise-consistent style, tone, and aesthetic. They're far too clean, well-dressed, and new-looking for supposedly-unemployed working youth who live in a desert town, and even if they are successful at stealing water or whatever, that doesn't get you to clean and new-looking in a place like Tatooine - Even someone who'd ostensibly have the money to buy something new and clean like the Mayor's majordomo has a speeder that looks third-hand and been through decades of use. Hutts having a rancor is something not entirely unexpected, and done in service of getting a Rancor into the Rancor pit. The train is... a train in an Old West sci-fi story? I'm not sure why this is an issue? :confused:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah last season lots of crazy poo poo happened, but this season has been extremely boring. Which is not something I ever thought I'd say about Disco.

Given seasons two and three read like a scattershot attempt to find out what makes a good show and work out what the fans like, I wonder if they think they've found their winning formula and are just absolutely wrong about it.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I prefer the abusive disco showrunners more than kurtzman and michelle paradise.

I genuinely loved 1.5 seasons of Discovery but very much not feeling the last two seasons. I don't know why.

Maybe it's the lack of angst?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will say that Michael Burnham has improved overall as a character, but she's still just not very interesting. I am getting very tired of Book being the focus of seemingly every episode when he's also not very interesting either.

Let's just transition the entire show into making Jett Reno the primary focus. CBS can throw whatever money they need to at Tig Notaro.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
There are a lot of things to be :confused: about in this show, power rangers just stick out due to visuals. Which was the point. And no, not everything or everyone on tatooine has to be in rags and dirty. Also with water going for such high prices... :v:
There are a lot of other inconsistencies, more grave to a keen "star trek fan" eye that were in EU and are almost canon but some ignorant folks run around shouting that this could have never happened etc. The train being one of these, as in "oh no we got a new race which is tuskens but civilised, impossiburu! We also never seen such train before in SW!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Spock, Beverly and Odo did look really weird, Spock especially. Uhura was fine though and Janeway has always looked fine to me.

I just can't get over the voices. It was like when they spliced milhouse into that Radiactive Man film in the simpsons when he ran off.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's weird because IIRC the Guardian voice clips in Discovery seemed like they were done a lot better, and they had way less potential material to work with.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They didn’t need to splice up the Guardian of Forever’s voice clip, and the original had very little in the way of background noise. Throw in the music swell and fancy sound effects, and that clip blended much more nicely with the modern elements than in Prodigy. Plus, you know, it was the Guardian of Forever - he can sound a bit wonky if need be.

That’s not to say Prodigy’s attempt wasn’t good - honestly, that’s probably the best that could be done in a timely manner, due to several technical reasons that I will spare everyone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the fact the guardian was already booming and echoey gave them a lot of leeway, since it already sounded out of place compared to the real voices.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's true, but what I meant was more that while the Guardian had 1 episode of dialogue to pull from, Spock and the rest had an entire series' worth. So they might have had to modify the dialogue/scene (which they were already constrained by "what can we write that includes archive clips"), but I feel like they could have cherry-picked some dialogue clips that sounded a little better and maybe had less background noise, etc.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Even an AI generated voice would have better, I appreciate the attempt though as janky as it is

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure you could find voice actors able to do any of the characters they used.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wonder if there's some rights issues preventing that. I doubt it since Spock and Uhura have been recast before, but maybe?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think that would miss the point of what they were trying to do

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hoooooooooly poo poo I COMPLETELY forgot that the GoF was ever in Disco. Reading those posts I was like "whaaaa?" and had to hit up MA to jog my memory. God, that is so damning. They even did a good job with it, iirc.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I kinda liked the clip voices in Prodigy. They came from different times, with different types of recording equipment. So it seems like they didn't do anything to the clips to try and normalize them or anything. Sounded basically like they just clipped them right out of the episodes. You know they were the real voices then. The target audiences probably won't care much either way. But then if their parents like Star Trek they should at least be able to recognize some of the stuff they used. I think that's neat.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the point was that it was the original actor, at least in my mind, so recasting them or doing AI voices wouldn't have the same effect.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The biggest problem I had with the voices was that everyone had clips of their voices except Gates McFadden, so we’re seeing TNG-era Dr. Crusher and hearing a voice that’s 30 years older which to be honest didn’t sound a whole lot like Dr. Crusher - I’d assumed they’d got an impersonator in for some reason!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

I kinda liked the clip voices in Prodigy. They came from different times, with different types of recording equipment. So it seems like they didn't do anything to the clips to try and normalize them or anything. Sounded basically like they just clipped them right out of the episodes. You know they were the real voices then. The target audiences probably won't care much either way. But then if their parents like Star Trek they should at least be able to recognize some of the stuff they used. I think that's neat.

I imagine the Prodigy sound engineers thinking of all the work it'll take to find and cut out the snippets the writers used from thirty years' worth of episodes and movies... and then the light bulb goes off, they google "Spock sound board", and go to an early lunch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Yeah ... I'm not gonna say I know what his perspective is but I feel like if I was starring on a bad TV show that was in season 4 and someone said my show was poop, I'd laugh at them for watching 4 seasons of it and not figuring it out at season 1.

I, me, in my current position, deserve to be laughed at for sticking with this show, and I don't even complain to the actors about it!

I assume that the "submit reply" button on this site comes with the unwritten acknowledgement whatever we post will be laughed at, whether because un/intentional joke, or just like the cosmic joke of us endlessly lobbing back and forth star trek discussions in a dusty corner of the void. I dunno about you but I'd probably be posting exactly as much about Star Trek today if they never made any new ones, I just can't help myself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zaroff posted:

The biggest problem I had with the voices was that everyone had clips of their voices except Gates McFadden, so we’re seeing TNG-era Dr. Crusher and hearing a voice that’s 30 years older which to be honest didn’t sound a whole lot like Dr. Crusher - I’d assumed they’d got an impersonator in for some reason!

Yeah I checked too, I definitely didn't think it was her. Weird

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think the jankiness of the voice clips kind of worked, since it was supposed to be a simulation of mashed up anachronisms. (I mean, of course that's not how the holodeck "really" works, but still.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe that's how they work after the LaForge/Barclay bylaws were put into place after too many "incidents."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lil showcase page for the in-show graphics of Prodigy here: https://territorystudio.com/project/star-trek-prodigy/

Some of the early concepts like this were buggging me at how similar they were to PCAP-SYS (the UI used in the JJTrek movies), especially that font, and I pulled up the showcase of those and then realised I was recognising the same name - the same guy who did a bunch of the computer interfaces and diegetic graphics for Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness (Jorge Almeida) is Design Lead at the studio that did Prodigy's graphic design. And apparently they contributed a number of other assets and sequences. Which explains a bit of the similarities and the Kelvin-esque elements that are sneaking in. And extreme abuse of the color blue.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 17, 2022

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey it's 17-01 today.

Happy Enterprise day.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just want to say, I appreciate how well the Lower Decks cameos are written. They still feel like the characters from the original series only cranked up to the manic level 11 that defines Lower Decks. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

AlternateNu posted:

I just want to say, I appreciate how well the Lower Decks cameos are written. They still feel like the characters from the original series only cranked up to the manic level 11 that defines Lower Decks. :allears:

Lower Decks is an in-universe comedy cartoon based on real events.