Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Thanks all. Just ordered a DT 770 PRO. I plan on these for the main mixing work but will also be listening on other devices. I appreciate the suggestions in here. I was going to do it off the laptop speakers and I’ve got my interface plugged into a pa so I was going to be listening on that since it’s noisy as hell and my room isn’t treated. We’ll, it kind of is. There’s no drywall so the exposed insulation keeps the room pretty flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stoopidmunkey posted:

Thanks all. Just ordered a DT 770 PRO. I plan on these for the main mixing work but will also be listening on other devices. I appreciate the suggestions in here. I was going to do it off the laptop speakers and I’ve got my interface plugged into a pa so I was going to be listening on that since it’s noisy as hell and my room isn’t treated. We’ll, it kind of is. There’s no drywall so the exposed insulation keeps the room pretty flat.

Those headphones are awesome and my absolute favorite for mixing+general music/game listening. Been through a handful of nice headphones and nothing compared to them. Enjoy!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i'll also throw out a recommendation for Sonarworks Sound Reference which has a hundred dollar headphone edition. it has average calibrations for a bunch of common headphones to help even out those weakspots mentioned earlier, and it absolutely makes a difference when i use my 7506s. it's still not quite as good as my main monitor setup with the custom calibration, but it's been absolutely worth every penny i convinced my employer to drop on it

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

DT-770s are my favorite closed can for mixing because they have a certain absence of suck factor compared to cheaper closed cans. How else to put it? I've had a bunch of HD-280s over the years, started using them in college and I always felt that while they are fine at what they do and provide really nice isolation in frequencies that can be picked up by mics on open cans, they're not great in terms of conveying impact and have a serious low frequency energy absence. Very useful for recording/monitoring headphones with good isolation, didn't like them for mixing in the end.

My favorite mixing headphones are wider open ones though. I use AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD-650, and Beyer DT-990 as well as DT-770 for when I need closed-back headphones. When it comes to auditioning mixes I listen on everything I can though, from my TV's output over HDMI to bigger hi-fi speakers to computer multi-media stuff, boombox, whatever I can play it on to get a more precise idea of how it will translate. I love how headphones get me close to the high frequencies and put me in the "space" of the song really precisely to work with panning etc.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 3, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

MDR-7506’s made all of my favorite music sound completely ugly

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

So they're accurate :smug:

I tease. I don't know why but I can't vibe with Sony headphones. Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, even Bose I can handle. But something about Sony headphones just irk me and I can't place it. Not sure if it's the feel or the sound, just never found any I've liked.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

landgrabber posted:

They def don't do the material any favors. lovely for listening for fun but this is what you're looking for in monitors. People say the same thing about HS5/7s, which are THE studio monitor and have been for 30+ years

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For mixing headphones my research pointed me towards the Sennheiser HD 560S. They are open back and very well reviewed for their accuracy, especially for their price range.

Ideally you want open backs for mixing, but sometimes that's just not possible (e.g. if you need to use them when you're sharing a room with others).

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey I need a small MIDI controller. I want to use it to control my DAW (Reaper) more intuitively and play in some melodies and rhyhtms.

I'm looking at two candidates. The AKAI MPK Professional Mini, and the Nektar Impact LX25+. They are comparably priced in my region. The AKAI has a built-in arpeggiator. The Nektar supposedly works well in Reaper. Reddit users complain about the feel of the AKAI keys. The Nektar on the other hand is ugly.

Can anyone offer a clear reason for one above the other? Otherwise I'm reduced to choosing based on which looks nicer essentially.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I have that Nektar midi controller and it's fine. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures so it's kind of cumbersome and I usually have it stored away for that reason. Also I'm not crazy about the sensitivity of the drum pads on any of the options it has. The keys feel like cheap springy keys but also they are cheap springy keys so I can't really complain. It is serving me me well enough for now but I know I'll upgrade eventually, it just feels plasticy and cheap. I can't directly compare it to the Akai but I know I personally hate miniature keys so it was a no-go from the start for me when I was shopping around.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This a good place to ask for recs for desk arms/stands (general voice coms and VO recordings)? Got an AT2020 for Christmas and I'm shopping around for an audio interface, so the last step is something to mount the thing on. This is the general vibe of my desk. I take the wheel off if I'm not in one of my driving game moods, and I'm thinking it might be a good place for an arm.

My friend has the Røde PSA-1, and he's very happy with that, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an arm as long as it gets the mic close to my face.

And if there's better threads for this, I appreciate a link, of course.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: oops

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 14, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Black Griffon posted:

This a good place to ask for recs for desk arms/stands (general voice coms and VO recordings)? Got an AT2020 for Christmas and I'm shopping around for an audio interface, so the last step is something to mount the thing on. This is the general vibe of my desk. I take the wheel off if I'm not in one of my driving game moods, and I'm thinking it might be a good place for an arm.

My friend has the Røde PSA-1, and he's very happy with that, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an arm as long as it gets the mic close to my face.

And if there's better threads for this, I appreciate a link, of course.

I don't think it's really worthwhile to buy a super expensive boom arm. I use cheap ones. My one suggestion is to dampen the springs on the average cheapie one, because it will resonate with every single thing you say and every desk tap. I use a couple ponytail holders from when i was a longhair; broccoli rubber bands or something would be good too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't think it's really worthwhile to buy a super expensive boom arm. I use cheap ones. My one suggestion is to dampen the springs on the average cheapie one, because it will resonate with every single thing you say and every desk tap. I use a couple ponytail holders from when i was a longhair; broccoli rubber bands or something would be good too.

lol too late.

But hey, it's real pretty.

And as is the case with more expensive stuff, I'm paying for the benefit of not having to think about hair ties and broccoli bands.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it ain't ML if we ain't over-buying. I have chronic cheapass syndrome anyways.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I have another question for the hive mind:

To record my main guitar takes, I’m running the recording compensated line out from my jcm900 to my interface. No clipping. Since the signal is raw and rough, I’ve just been adding guitar rig to the track and have it set to just a cabinet. You guys think I’m good like this or should I stuck it up and get an actual load box for the amp that has line out and built in cab sim?

I’m not really worried about system load or anything, just looking to get the best natural sound I can from my amp without micing since it’s a 100 watt amp with a 4x12 cab with everything turned all the way up. If I had to mic, I’d have to actually play outside the room and it would really piss the neighbors off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have another question for the hive mind:

To record my main guitar takes, I’m running the recording compensated line out from my jcm900 to my interface. No clipping. Since the signal is raw and rough, I’ve just been adding guitar rig to the track and have it set to just a cabinet. You guys think I’m good like this or should I stuck it up and get an actual load box for the amp that has line out and built in cab sim?

I’m not really worried about system load or anything, just looking to get the best natural sound I can from my amp without micing since it’s a 100 watt amp with a 4x12 cab with everything turned all the way up. If I had to mic, I’d have to actually play outside the room and it would really piss the neighbors off.

You’ll be a lot happier with a load box. I went for the suhr reactive load ir and while it was pricy the results are absolutely amazing. I compared tons of them and I’m so glad I went for it. It’s the only setup I’ve used where I can silently play my tube amp into something and have it 100% feel and sound like I’m blasting a cranked tube amp + cab.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Kilometers Davis posted:

You’ll be a lot happier with a load box. I went for the suhr reactive load ir and while it was pricy the results are absolutely amazing. I compared tons of them and I’m so glad I went for it. It’s the only setup I’ve used where I can silently play my tube amp into something and have it 100% feel and sound like I’m blasting a cranked tube amp + cab.

Thanks for this. It’s what I thought so I’ll just save up for a load box. I just hate that I paid less for the amp than the box will cost.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stoopidmunkey posted:

Thanks for this. It’s what I thought so I’ll just save up for a load box. I just hate that I paid less for the amp than the box will cost.

Yeah I can understand that. It’s one of those “boring” feeling purchases that you’ll be really happy you went for in the future. Get something good and it should last you a looong time. Good luck!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've been playing with audiogridder, a free VST plugin that lets you run VSTs on another computer over the network with it, and it's pretty awesome. You load the server on your comp that has the instruments, and then load the plugin on the channel you want for the DAW. In the plugin you can select any of the instruments/effects that are on the server's computer and it will use those for that channel's output. It essentially creates a screen-share of that plugin on the server, so it looks exactly like it would natively with the exact same functionality.

My desktop is connected to my router with ethernet and I just tried it on my 2013 macbook air. The latency with a bunch of orchestra instruments loaded in it that this thing couldn't ever hope to play back in real time had a latency of 5 ms, and it will automatically correct for it during playback/rendering etc. My air is running MacOS and the desktop Windows and it worked flawlessly.

Now when I have an idea in my head but don't want to go down to my desktop, I can fire up reaper on my laptop and have every tool I normally would. AND because it's all being rendered on my main desktop, all the licenses are being used on one computer and I don't have to move a usb license stick or stupid software keys around.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

pokie posted:

I tried setting the gain just above -inf, and it made no difference in the noise. I also tried a bunch of dip switch configurations, moving them around the house, and even turning off wifi.

This was a few posts back, and I just bought the LP6's, and the hiss isn't that loud at all. Only really noticeable in a quiet room and within a few feet. I wonder if they are defective?

e: I also have a noisy house to the point that using single coils on a guitar is almost a no go.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My big JBLs had a ton of hiss until I switched to an external sound device (scarlet 4i4 or whatever) that could run balanced outputs to the sub/speakers. After that there was and continues to be no hiss. They're plugged in to a line conditioning UPS and they still hissed until I did that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I've been playing with audiogridder, a free VST plugin that lets you run VSTs on another computer over the network with it, and it's pretty awesome. You load the server on your comp that has the instruments, and then load the plugin on the channel you want for the DAW. In the plugin you can select any of the instruments/effects that are on the server's computer and it will use those for that channel's output. It essentially creates a screen-share of that plugin on the server, so it looks exactly like it would natively with the exact same functionality.

My desktop is connected to my router with ethernet and I just tried it on my 2013 macbook air. The latency with a bunch of orchestra instruments loaded in it that this thing couldn't ever hope to play back in real time had a latency of 5 ms, and it will automatically correct for it during playback/rendering etc. My air is running MacOS and the desktop Windows and it worked flawlessly.

Now when I have an idea in my head but don't want to go down to my desktop, I can fire up reaper on my laptop and have every tool I normally would. AND because it's all being rendered on my main desktop, all the licenses are being used on one computer and I don't have to move a usb license stick or stupid software keys around.

This might be a fantastic app for me. I have a beefy gaming pc and an old MacBook that I take into the study to record.

Does it work well over wifi?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat I still can’t perceive balanced vs unbalanced. But it does feel like my balanced patch bay introduces a poo poo ton of noise

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So if you guys remember, I'm the guy whose been in the guitar thread on and off bitching about RF noise, and also my guitar tone sounding like poo poo through whatever amp sim/eq setting/pick up height/whatever you can think of. Bad enough I avoid playing plugged in and wind up getting upset a lot of time when I do.

Well, now that I have an amp sim on my laptop as well, I figured it would be easy to go test out things in my bedroom, which is fairly large for a bedroom, but it's a slight rectangle shape instead of my living room which is open ended on one side with a sort of open hall? hard to explain. Anyway, I didn't want to move a bunch of stuff, so I just took my old lovely monitors and interface in there and hooked to my laptop. There was still some RF, but I also didn't have my power conditioner and was set up against the wall closest to the living room. It was still less, like only needing half as much noise gate. And it sounded good on a cleaner single coil setting, so big improvement still even if there's still RF.

Anyway, it sounded a gently caress ton better. I'm guessing the shape of my living room must just really gently caress up my acoustics. Also my bed is a big foam mattress so I reckon that's probably absorbing some echo better than my couch/rug in the living room. I reckon I'm going to set up shop in my bedroom now.

Since it's slightly longer one way vs the other, isn't it better if I point my monitors/desk so they are facing down a long side? Or does it really matter since it's not a gigantic difference? I was limited in my setup for the test, and had it against the living room wall, facing across the short side of the room toward a window. I need to figure out where I'm going to put everything. Is it better to face a wall or a window btw?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 17, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
In fact, I did my best to recreat my room to as scale as I could. I have a bed, and a dresser to shift around. The desk I'm taking in there is fairly small, it should just be able to fit against the bathroom wall if I wanted to for instance. How would you guys arrange this poo poo for best sounds? I'm thinking desk against the window. More room to move around, I can load up foam and stuff against the dresser wall to catch reflections, and I'll be as far away from the RF source as possible. Or maybe I'd want to set up against the bathroom so the bed is behind me? Since it's quite a large chunk of dense foam. I accidentally drew my bed wrong in the diagram, it's against the window wall, and was behind me during my test when I set my laptop and monitors up on the dresser, and I suspect that's why it sounded a lot better. But maybe it's position doesn't matter too much.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 17, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

drat I still can’t perceive balanced vs unbalanced. But it does feel like my balanced patch bay introduces a poo poo ton of noise

I fixed this by switching all my TRS to TS unless it was going balanced to balanced the whole way through (surprisingly little actually was). Huge pain in the rear end

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I know but for some reason I though balanced == better and now I have a bunch of cables

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Balanced cables will reduce noise, but it has to be balanced throughout the entire setup, i.e. from source to output. And even then, there are some other 'gotchas.' There's 2 primary (3 if you count the speakers themselves, but let's assume they don't suck) sources of the noise. EM energy creating noise from the cables acting as high Z antennas, and grounding.

There's a million grounding issues that can arise, and volumes upon volumes of books have been written on it, but there's a few things you can check pretty easily to see if it helps, and it really is something you will have to play with. The most common is going to be ground loops caused by poor grounding OR different electronics being tied to ground levels that are mismatched. See, ground isn't an absolute value or anything. A ground reference can (technically) have any potential. It's a frame of reference.

You want everything in the chain to have the same reference. However, this is rarely completely straight forward. One thing you can try is moving around where things are plugged in. For instance, I have my computer and monitors all plugged in to the same UPS, but maybe your computer is too noisy ground wise and should go straight in to another outlet. Laptops are really bad about this because they aren't always plugged in which can cause issues when it comes to noise from ground loops. I had a project I worked on where I was measuring extremely low levels of current, femto to pico amps, and I could see huge shifts from plugging or unplugging the laptop I was using to read the data, and where it was plugged in. I ended up having to use optical isolators for the data to decouple the laptop from the system entirely.

tl;dr Ground loops suck, are difficult to track down, and can be even more difficult to solve. Try plugging stuff in to different outlets and power strips and if you have more things in the chain remove them one at a time to see if it comes from a certain piece of equipment.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

This might be a fantastic app for me. I have a beefy gaming pc and an old MacBook that I take into the study to record.

Does it work well over wifi?

Oh sorry I forgot to respond to this one. When I did it my MacBook Air was on wifi, the server computer hardwired and it worked great. I haven't tried doing it non-locally however.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just ran out of patch bay space so let me run something past you guys.

I have a synth that has a mix output and two assignable stereo outputs in the form of six 1/4 jacks, presumably all unbalanced. If I run these six TS cables through a TS->TRS stereo combiner Y-cable, then run that cable to a patch bay input, the output of that would logically be a TRS stereo signal, right?

If I want to split it back out into its constituent channels I would just use a TRS->TS splitter on the output side, no? What would happen if I accidentally jacked that into a TS destination — just one channel?

This is the kind of question that’s either so obvious I’ll feel dumb about having asked it, or so fraught with nuance about audio signals that I’ll feel dumb for having asked it. I lose either way so I’ll just ask :)

The real answer should be to just not patch in all 8 assignable outputs from my samplers, since I’m almost guaranteed never to use all 8, but humour me anyway.

E: Patch bay says 48 balanced channels so presumably A-OK with TRS.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 21, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Obnoxiously, TRS balanced and TRS stereo are technically different and the way some patch bays work it won't pass right.

Or mine was hosed but I definitely tried that and had problems. The Thomann patchbay everyone knows and loves and another DBX one

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh that’s annoying for sure.

I grabbed two TRS-TS/TS splitter Y cables off Amazon since it’s a cheap enough experiment I guess, but if it doesn’t work I guess I might split off some of my stuff to a smaller second mixer I have lying around and just feed the main out of that into the patch bay ahhhh so many things to keep track of.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
to answer one of your questions at least - when you plug a TRS signal, whether or it be balanced or stereo, into a TS jack - the ring of the connector will be connected to ground. With balanced trs signals, all this means is that the - side of the signal is now strapped to ground - and you will have basically a regular unbalanced signal between tip and ground, with 6db less volume (half the voltage excursion between 'hot' and 'ground' = 1/4 the power). When you plug a stereo trs into a ts plug, right side is shorted to ground, left is still available on the tip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the education gang. I'm always terrified of some nuance that I might not be grasping.

To close the loop on this one, I did a really crude proof of concept:

lovely iPad USB-C 3.5mm TRS audio dongle -> 3.5 stereo cable -> TRS 3.5mm to TRS 1/4 jack that I got with some headphones -> Neutrik patch bay input / thru -> another 1/4 to 3.5mm TRS headphone adapter -> 1/4 TRS to Tip-TS+Ring-TS adapter -> Yamaha 01v CH1 and CH2.

Panned CH1 full-left, CH2 full right.

Launched an online sine generator with a L/R balance option, and when I panned the wave left to right the 01V did reflect left on CH1 and right on CH2. Some residual noise on both channels but that's because the lovely USB-C audio adapter hisses like crazy.

So I guess world's longes way of saying "I think what I want to do will work" if I really want to go to the effort of having to remember to break out the stereo signal back into discrete channels to my mixer.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hell yeah, def getting a Neutrik next time (or doing my test right)

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nys-spcr1

also I think you can grab those and save a converter or two?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around something and I need some help.

I have a Motu M2 interface.

I have a guitar, an OP-1, and will probably be adding another synth or a drum machine at some point and I'd like to avoid plugging and unplugging stuff like crazy to record in Ableton.

So I'd like to add a mixer and then hang my Monitors/headphones off of it.

I don't need USB and I've been checking Craigslist here in NYC but it's pretty bleak.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to

A) what I need in the mixer to hook the ins and outs of my Motu to a mixer

B) any recommendations of a reasonably priced non USB mixer that's not too big since I'm in an apartment and have limited tabletop space?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

it's going to be hard to find even a (new) basic mixer that doesn't offer some kind of USB out. you can just opt to use the mains out into the motu. look at Soundcraft signature, old mackies, and the yamaha MG06. Behringer also makes cheap mixers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

A MIRACLE posted:

it's going to be hard to find even a (new) basic mixer that doesn't offer some kind of USB out. you can just opt to use the mains out into the motu. look at Soundcraft signature, old mackies, and the yamaha MG06. Behringer also makes cheap mixers

The 802VLZ4 seems to have a ton of options and is in my budget.

I'm thinking the main outs from my Motu to ST return, and the ALT out to the inputs?

That way I can just select a channel to send to the sound card but also use the mixer without my DAW? And then I've got the mixer to use with my monitors and no daw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

The 802VLZ4 seems to have a ton of options and is in my budget.

I'm thinking the main outs from my Motu to ST return, and the ALT out to the inputs?

That way I can just select a channel to send to the sound card but also use the mixer without my DAW? And then I've got the mixer to use with my monitors and no daw?

that one looks really nice. theres a dozen ways you can route it, yeah.