Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ramming is modeled

Yes.

That's actually how i beat the Monitor vs Virginia as the Virginia because it's a useless piece of poo poo.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The union forever, hurrah boys hurrah! Down with the traitor, and up with the star!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The ironclad training missions are just painful, especially as the Virginia which has the hardest time bringing its big guns to bear because the casemates are garbage.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Glory, glory, hallelujah! :911:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Both ships seemed way more resistant to flooding than they really should have been. I'm also curious if it was a standard turret on Monitor rather than the godawful Timby design actually put on a number of those early US monitors.

Still, if we're looking at incredibly silly fights, clearly we should do a battle between one of the Popov monitors and some other random ship of the era (or the other one, if we're feeling particularly silly). Assuming the ability to build those is even modeled, of course.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

We'll all go down to dixie, away, away, each dixie boy must understand that he must mind his uncle Sam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhSzuhdIkuE

Complications fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 17, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The original Super Prototype vs. Souped Up Veteran. Still glad to see the Virginia lose.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Complications posted:

We'll all go down to dixie, away, away, each dixie boy must understand that he must mind his uncle Sam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhSzuhdIkuE

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Oh hell yes, I was going to ask for this but didn't think the game went back that far.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There were plenty of ideas that didn't really work out. Cruiser commerce raiders in WW2 weren't so much a thing, because subs handled the role much better, for example. And then there's things like lattice masts...theoretically a great way to save on weight, with one minor little detail:

(This wasn't enemy action, just high seas)

Lattice masts weren't just about weight savings. The theory was that they'd be more durable, not less. The individual parts of the lattice are too light to detonate a shell, and there's redundancy, so that enemy fire can take out multiple stringers and the mast would stand. Sadly, the math wasn't quite right.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Let's get the tournament restarted with the right side of the bracket first!

Fight #17: Yamato vs USS New Mexico

In a sense, this is Yamato's debut as her first fight was kind of a gimmick. She takes on a meat slab of a battleship in New Mexico in a bid to avenge Kongo -- the battleshipcruiser New Mexico had little trouble with in round 1.

NewMex doesn't have any advantages as such, but these dumbass standards have proven themselves tough as all hell. This was more or less the exact kind of ship Yamato was built to dominate though, so let's see if those 18" guns can succeed where 15s and 16s did not.

The crowd is very ready to see Yamato's big guns in real action for the first time.

*tuba noises*

Yamato lets fly at just past 30km. This is her first salvo, and it is lethally close. NewMex's bridge gets splashed with a mountain of seawater from the huge shells.

Yamato's second shot hits. Unlike most of the other long-range hits we've seen, this one slices right through NewMex's main armor deck and causes massive damage to her bow. NewMex's armor is not going to be proof against Yamato's gunfire at any range, it seems.

A big hole in a very dangerous place. That one shot killed 20 of NewMex's brave sailors.

Standards are nothing if not stubborn fighters. NewMex obligingly closes the range and gets her 12 guns situated on Yamato.

Yamato's tactic here is interesting -- she doesn't even pretend to involve her rear guns and just heads straight at her opponent. The range closes rapidly as both ships are head-on.

NewMex's gunnery at distance is solid. She puts a round through Yamato's bow, though probably ahead of the main armor deck. She's been comparably accurate to Yamato at this point, though her shells are doing far less damage.

NewMex pops Yamato pretty good - a partial penetration and fire in a dangerous spot. Yamato seems almost surprised, or insulted or something. She abruptly turns in order to use her full broadside.

Dear god, what have I done...

Yamato squares up, and promptly eats a round to her funnel. NewMex is outhitting Yamato decisively, but she has yet to cause any significant damage.

A big hole and fire, as two 18" rounds slice through NewMex's bow right next to her #1 turret.

NewMex may be on the receiving end so far, but she's game for this. She hits Yamato with four 14" shells and damages her forward turret.

Things unravel fairly quickly after that. A single salvo from Yamato hits NewMex three times, and wrecks her bow to stern.

A whole lot of holes and fires. NewMex looks bad here, but her fighting core is still mostly intact. She's only lost one turret and she's still hitting Yamato regularly, if mostly ineffectually.

An idea of just how good NewMex's fire really was. Yamato is still more or less fine here, but she's taken a lot of fire and some considerable if mostly superficial damage.

Even as she loses power and burns all over, NewMex won't give it up. Not only will she not blow up or sink, she's still putting accurate fire on Yamato.

It takes a couple more salvoes from Yamato to finally finish the job. NewMex "survived" in the sense she suffered not a single catastrophic failure in the entire battle: her fighting core was still fighting when the ship literally broke up around it. A tough girl, this one.

Clearly one-sided, but Yamato is hardly out of this scot-free. That sort of damage would have probably put her in the yard for a couple of months. NewMex never really had much of a chance here, but she comported herself very well against a ship more than twice her size.

I *think* Yamato could handle two Standards at once, but she'd pay a serious price for doing so....

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bewbies posted:

I *think* Yamato could handle two Standards at once, but she'd pay a serious price for doing so....

That might be an interesting bonus round.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trundle trundle blam did its best.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That might be an interesting bonus round.

A bonus round I'd like to see is America's "Standard" line of battleships versus the Japanese ships built to blow it up.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
New Mex did real well, all things considered. I was expecting a one-sided execution, but the old girl put up one hell of a fight.

This does quite a bit to win me back on the derpy old Standards.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A full blown early '42 fleet engagement between the USN and the IJN would be cool, if it's not too much work to setup.

Assuming no Pearl strike of course, since carriers don't exist in this universe.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The old standards were built to amble into range and then stand and deliver, and it seems here that they definitely can.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rest in peace, brave sailors of the tuba battle boat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Didn't Yamato's design brief have something about how she was going to be able to fight two earlier generation ships at the same time? Yam versus two New Mexicos would be pretty fun.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If the US could force Yamato to stand her ground, and a standard close to the range where nobody's armor can hold up, things would be dicey. On the other hand, Japanese planning said they'd intercept the USN on the way to the Philippines, so there'd be no reason for Yamato to ever let the standard creep up on her.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
We might see different results if it were the 12x14” Standards or the 8x16” Standards (Colorado et al). I believe Drachinifel had a video on the topic—“what if Oldendorf’s old BBs met the Center Force off Samar?” was the question, and among the many, many variables that could’ve swung things one way or the other, “whether the Yamato goes after the 14” Standards or the 16” Standards” was one factor.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

New Mexico put up a proper fight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Didn't Yamato's design brief have something about how she was going to be able to fight two earlier generation ships at the same time? Yam versus two New Mexicos would be pretty fun.

Agreed.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You're also subject to the AI, closing the range against most standards for example seems unnecessary if the strategic circumstances don't require it. At 86% ammo remaining there could have been a lot more time to pick away at the ship with ineffective return fire.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yep, I forgot the source off the top of my head (might have been in one of Ian Tolls books), but Yamato was designed from the ground up with the idea that it would have to tangle with multiple US battleships at once.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We should do the Yamato home run league

Yamato fights a gauntlet of increasing amounts of standards until she loses, go for the high score

I think Yamato can beat at least 3

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Yamato should get a Cauldron of Doom but with Scharnhorsts instead of destroyers

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

AtomikKrab posted:

Yamato fights a gauntlet of increasing amounts of standards until she loses, go for the high score

I think she'd probably run out of ammo against three but this would be fun to see

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Yamato versus Colorado sounds interesting. Yamato versus two of them might be a bit much. I don't think two New Mexicos will change much though, given Yammy's speed advantage and her armor effectiveness. Perhaps a lucky conning tower hit might change things though, it seems to have in other fights involving Standards.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bewbies, you know deck penetration increases with range, right? Hence the immunity zone concept. There've been a couple fights where it sounds like you're saying a long-range deck penetration means no immunity zone at all, which is iffy at best and especially suspect with the older ships that have thin decks and thick belts. But maybe I'm misreading you, or maybe the range is closer than I think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A good bonus round is a forcing the Yamato to do a boss rush against ships of an ever increasing edge for our bloody amusement.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Maybe we should see if Yamato can beat everyone else in the tournament before coming up with wacky challenges? Iowa and a few others still stand a very decent chance 1-on-1!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
poor New Mexico. So far from heaven, so close to Texas

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

gohuskies posted:

Maybe we should see if Yamato can beat everyone else in the tournament before coming up with wacky challenges? Iowa and a few others still stand a very decent chance 1-on-1!

Agreed. The Standardrush can be a bonus round later on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

AtomikKrab posted:

hell yeah, or:

zetamind2000 posted:

The Yamato should get a Cauldron of Doom but with Scharnhorsts instead of destroyers

FuturePastNow posted:

I think she'd probably run out of ammo against three but this would be fun to see

you can crank up the ammo storage pretty high at the cost of some tonnage

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The solution to Yams is Picric Acid I, the death or glory HE hero we all love.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Battle #18: EUROFASCISTS (Littorio vs Bismarck)

Prides of the Fleet for the great Axis powers are loading their magazines. One of the most intriguing battles of the second round, these two ships are remarkably similar in nearly every respect. I thought it might be fun to the audience to pick their winners before the big ships go have it out.

They really are amazingly alike. Top speed is more or less identical. Littorio has slightly thicker armor, but Bismarck's steel is slightly better. Littorio has 9 guns to Bismarck's 8, but her 9 are in only 3 turrets. Bismarck's cyclic rate is much better and her guns more accurate, but her shells are much lighter, and as we've seen, these ships can run through even an enlarged magazine pretty quickly. Fire control for both is more or less the same.

I'm going to pick Littorio based on her thicker armor. She'll probably take more hits, but she'll be better able to withstand them. My biggest concern with her is the relative lightness of her conning tower/citadel armor -- at only 10 inches, it'll be vulnerable to Bismarck's fire at nearly any range, and as we've seen repeatedly, a heavy hit to a ship's nerve center can swing a battle dramatically.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Gotta keep my money on the Bismarck, and will prop bet a critical hit to the Littorio's tower as you mention.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Littorio just because

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Is it possible for both ships to mutually sink each other or will the game force a winner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Littorio because of the better armor