Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Im not feeling smug as a non-cofffee drinker, im feeling concerned as a tea drinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
who needs tea when we have fentanyl

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
my speedballs made of earlgray and fent arent hitting quite right

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

who needs tea when we have fentanyl

You're making a pretty good case here. Where would one acquire this fentanyl?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

as someone who never got themselves addicted to caffeine

HA HA

i'm sure a massive drought in a rain forest biome coupled with ever increasing burning won't have any knock on effects that i care about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Complications posted:

as someone who never got themselves addicted to caffeine

HA HA

i'm sure a massive drought in a rain forest biome coupled with ever increasing burning won't have any knock on effects that i care about

weird take

i could give a poo poo if coffee stopped having caffeine tomorrow. i drink it because it’s delicious

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

You're making a pretty good case here. Where would one acquire this fentanyl?

disclaimer: i do not know what fentanyl is

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

disclaimer: i do not know what fentanyl is

It's that other thing killing 6-12 people a day where ever you live.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

elephant heroin is destroying america

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

Can you please give me a probe with BDEATH as the image? Sorry I'm late, covid thread's been busy

Edit: gently caress

vyelkin posted:

gonna call it here since it turns out people care about the Leper's Colony and also because skull.gif has a point that this has gone on long enough, thanks everyone for playing, glad we all had a good time

Chamale has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Jan 17, 2022

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
‘The collapse of humanity is deathly funny’: Gary Shteyngart on writing comedy in difficult times

Out yourself, Gary. :colbert:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

super sad true love story is some of the most embarrassing trash I’ve read in novel form. no way shyteyngart is of the caliber to post here, the last refuge of megalomaniac geniuses on the web.

quote:

The son of a Russian immigrant, protagonist Leonard (Lenny) Abramov, a middle-aged, middle class, otherwise unremarkable man whose mentality is still in the past century, falls madly in love with Eunice Park, a young Korean-American from New Jersey struggling with materialism and the pressures of her traditional Korean family. The chapters alternate between profuse diary entries from the old-fashioned Lenny and Eunice's biting e-mail correspondence on her "GlobalTeens" account.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Jan 17, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
That's sad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
shteyngart wrote a whole essay about his circumcision in the new yorker which i assume is the modern white male novelist pinnacle of success

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Coffee is loving good

Indulging a substance you are addicted to feels loving great

I used to smoke and I loving loved it. If smoking wasn't so harsh on teeth, I would have smoked forever.

Anyway, I hope coffee is ok

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Egg Moron posted:

Anyway, I hope coffee is ok
it's not. its one of those predicted to become nearly-extinct by people decades ago. and it's happening now. brazil is the largest exporter at like over 1/3rd the world production and with crops hitting 90% complete death, that's a loving lot. and probably isn't going to get better with their extended drought. another large % comes from colombia that had like leaf rot and also extended ongoing drought and loss of crops.

vietnam i think is fairly stable and does produce a lot with relatively okay precipitation, it'll probably become the biggest exporter after brazil's industry collapses. indonesia is probably the 4th largest which likewise is doing badly with droughts and rot. ethiopia is the last major one and likewise doing bad.

there will probably be some small farms in other countries that are doing okay but not nearly enough for the world consumption and prices are gunna skyrocket big time.

unfortunately coffee doesn't last forever so stocking up doesn't help, but do expect to see massive price hikes and coffee shortages soon

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
Biosphere Collapse: This is dead, look at this. This is all dead. Everything is gone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

yaupon. it’s a cousin of yerba mate.

the scientific name is ilex vomitoria but that’s because dumb white people just watched indigenous folks use it and assumed it was an emetic

Yaupon holly is delicious.

It’s criminally underappreciated. Maybe I should become the Johnny Appleseed of yaupon.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol please do. I could never get the stuff to germinate from seed

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

What about khat? Is that doing ok?

I'd chew khat till my brin rotted, I guess

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Xaris posted:

unfortunately coffee doesn't last forever so stocking up doesn't help, but do expect to see massive price hikes and coffee shortages soon

instant coffee half a shelf life of around 20 years

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tbh instant coffee doesn’t really taste like coffee either. the starbucks vias aren’t too bad.

more to the point tho learn to roast. green beans will last several years with proper storage. and honestly with a good freezer you might manage twenty years.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ya lemme just store beans for the raiders that kilt me...

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
glad a whole generation of americans grew up playing games where they practiced forging for cans of food among a waste land

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

instant coffee half a shelf life of around 20 years

Id drink that swill I guess

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

mediaphage posted:

tbh instant coffee doesn’t really taste like coffee either. the starbucks vias aren’t too bad.

more to the point tho learn to roast. green beans will last several years with proper storage. and honestly with a good freezer you might manage twenty years.

I'm not making coffee put of green beans, get the gently caress out of town

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

glad a whole generation of americans grew up playing games where they practiced forging for cans of food among a waste land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEYJwQpjhj0

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Platystemon posted:

Yaupon holly is delicious.

It’s criminally underappreciated. Maybe I should become the Johnny Appleseed of yaupon.

What zone does it grow in well? Any chance it could pop in the PNW?

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/16/passengers-stuck-at-sea-after-norwegian-cancels-cruise-mid-voyage/

rofl

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

silicone thrills posted:

7-9, it doesn't like extreme cold but anywhere west of the cascades could probably grow it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

It’s listed as zone 7, maybe 7b, conservatively.

I don’t know why you couldn’t grow it in large portions of the Pacific Northwest. It has an extensive native range in the Southeast. It’s farmed commercially on a small scale from Austin to Orlando. It’s seen as either a weed or as an ornamental, depending on who’s talking, but only near its native range. It has never caught on elsewhere.

I know that it can take frost, wet heat, even dry heat. It grows fine in Southern California; it’s just very rarely planted. I suppose the thing that I don’t know that it can take is the degree of cold and wet weather that the Pacific Northwest gets, but it’s not a great stretch to say that if grows like a weed in Virginia Beach’s climate, it will persevere in Portland.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cool. Might give it a shot in Seattle. I'm also trying to grow some tea

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Is it similar in taste to máte at all?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not entirely unlike máte, but they have distinct tastes.

Yaupon doesn’t have the grassy and bitter notes of máte. Instead, it’s almost sweet.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lol @ coffee becoming extinct soon, I keep telling people about this when they vaguely go on about "it's not that bad, yet" in regards to the climate, and they always look at me like I'm crazy.

It also somehow gets people to stop for a second and actually contemplate cc, you can basically see their thought processes go from "that sounds bad -> will that really happen? - no, must be fine".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

if i play my cards just right, perhaps my demise can serve as one of those hilarious cautionary tales that the lone wanderer stumbles across during a side quest. i'm pretty clumsy and don't have many skills to speak of outside of some light computer touching and shitposting so most likely it will be the result of attempting a mundane survival task that somehow yields some tragically ironic outcome.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol @ coffee becoming extinct soon, I keep telling people about this when they vaguely go on about "it's not that bad, yet" in regards to the climate, and they always look at me like I'm crazy.

It also somehow gets people to stop for a second and actually contemplate cc, you can basically see their thought processes go from "that sounds bad -> will that really happen? - no, must be fine".

consider yourself lucky if you haven't yet been met with outright hostility. that's happened to me a few times and i don't really bring it up all that often. i suspect that reaction will only increase as things continue to deteriorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

A Russian troll farm posted:

The fact that the AMOC collapsing will cause much more relative harm to the global south than the global north, while at the same time giving more fodder to denialists, really makes me believe that evil is baked into the very fabric of reality. Gnosticism seems truer by the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2tgZCabTzs