Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ideally you not just break off contact but convince the other person that you never existed in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
There is no having an amicable separation with manipulators.

E: And while it is in fact possible to remain friends with your exes after the breakup, this is not one of those times. This is one of those times you disappear in a cartoon cloud of smoke.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 17, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blastedhellscape posted:

It is kind of weird and offputing when someone immediately breaks up with a person, cuts all contact, and goes scorched earth on them all in one move when the breakup wasn't over anything that seems worthy of that.

There was that story a million pages ago where a guy was in a seemingly normal relationship, his girlfriend had a conversation with him where she was testing the waters about polyamory, and he was like "So of course I imminently threw her out, blocked her on all social media, and am having no contact with her or her family despite their numerous attempts" and it seemed kind of over the top and nuclear. I mean, it's a legit reason to decide that you're not compatible with someone, and there's something to be said for just ripping the bandaid off, but maybe *try* to have an amicable breakup first? That seems like the more compassionate and human thing to do.

quote:

Anyways he decided I had cheated on him and proceeded to flip out at me from 4 am till my exam which was at 9 am. Once I’d gotten him out of my house, he spent the next few days berating me and attacking me over text and phone call.

This is enough to go scorched earth. You don't flip out and accuse someone of cheating for hours on end over a nothing-burger. That's psycho poo poo and someone who should be severed from immediately.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for uninviting my mom from my wedding when she kept insisting on my “step” son not being there?

quote:

It’s a stupid thing to ask I know. But my mom’s been an important person in my life and I’m not sure if perhaps I overreacted. I (26m) met my soon to be wife Amy (25f) 7 years ago. Her son Jason was 11 months old and she broke up with his dad already. I love Jason as my own son and that’s how I see him.

He calls his dad “Dad/Daddy” and me “Pa.” My mom didn’t like the idea of me being with someone who already had a kid with someone else. We fought about that during the first 2 years of the relationship until I threatened to stop talking if she doesn’t accept Amy and Jason in my life. So she let it go and didn’t bring it up ever again.

I proposed 4 months ago. We’re supposed to get married in March. My mon offered to pay for half of the wedding and we accepted. The issue was my mom saying Jason shouldn’t be at the wedding because it would be just as weird as if her ex was there. We were both confused by that logic. Jason’s a huge part of our lives, it’s our wedding so of course he’s gonna be part of it. That was a hard no from both of us.

She tried to bring it up more times until finally she pulled the “I’m paying for your wedding so I’m allowed to decide ” card. That’s the part that got me the most. Is she wanted to use the fact that she’s helping to pay to keep our 8 year old from being there at our wedding. I paid her back the money she gave us for the wedding and told her she’s also not invited. Now she keeps calling crying that I’m her only son and it would be heartless keeping her from being part of this huge milestone in her life.

To her it’s not the same if Jason missed it because he’s a kid not a parent. My family is on my side about her going too far wanting to exclude my son but they do think I’m an rear end in a top hat if she’s not invited since I already gave her the money back so she has no say in anything. I’m just so mad about it and don’t wanna see her after she tried to control things like that. Am I being an rear end in a top hat?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for uninviting my mom from my wedding when she kept insisting on my “step” son not being there?

quote:

Now she keeps calling crying that I’m her only son and it would be heartless keeping her from being part of this huge milestone in her life
lmao

bitch you're being kept from this huge milestone in "your" life because you're heartless

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Discus-throw this woman into an acid vat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not really "your" acid so it's not actually burning!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

lmao

bitch you're being kept from this huge milestone in "your" life because you're heartless

I'm trying to figure out how her son being married is a milestone in her life.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

R/relationships: My dad caught me doing a meat cyclone with my junk

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean to have your kid get married is a big deal, presumably though this is because you love them and nice big deal things happening in their lives are exciting, and not because you're checking off a Lifetime channel list of achievements you can brag about to friends.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

she's a narcissist

everything is about her

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Nooner posted:

whats the point of maintaining contact after you break up? like what, you going to keep hanging out? maybe buy a house together? paint all the rooms a different shade of purple??

if I don't have ex's to validate my raw sexuality and send memes to on instagram then what's all this been for??

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some people want to "have a kid" and completely fail to understand they are "raising an adult." When it turns out there's an actual human being in their house whose thoughts, values, aspirations, flaws, etc. don't align with their plans/goals, it breaks them.

These people usually suffer from untreated Personality Disorders.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Now that’s a good soon-to-be-stepdad

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth, reading this.

AITA for "ruining" a coffee table

quote:

I could use some help in this situation since it's currently creating a small rift in our family.

I'll elaborate on some of the details so it makes sense. I have been really into natural body oils for the last several years. After years of not feeling very well, I was told the body has natural oils that heal itself over time. The problem is most people don't let these oils form and get rid of them in various ways, one of which is constant hand washing and showering. So I decided several years ago to cut down. I shower about once a month, sometimes one every two or three months. I let my body essentially tell me when it's time to shower. Our bodies are very intuitive and they will let us know in subtle ways when it's time to do certain things.

So I tend to have naturally oily skin and my skin looks and feels great. My husband was actually skeptical about this but now he's completely onboard and sometimes goes without showering for longer than me.

We were visiting his sister last week for a small get together, just to catch up with each other. We always tend to get along. I took my slippers off and was barefoot most of my time there. Nothing was said at the time so I thought no big deal. They are just feet. I eventually just put them up on the coffee table while I was taking a nap. I was there alone for a bit while the rest of them went for a drive to get some groceries. His sister was going to put together a meal for all of us. She's a great cook.

They came back, nothing really out of the ordinary happened. She cooked and we had a nice meal together. Casual conversation all throughout.

But we get a mean phone call the next day about foot marks all over their apparently very expensive table. I saw some marks on it when I was there but I thought they would just go away in a couple of hours. It seems according to the sister there are footmarks all over one side of the table. She surprisingly asked for some money to cover any repair expenses.

Here's where I may have crossed the line but I am not sure. I told her the foot marks were probably mostly just temporary and the oils from my skin are natural and probably good for the wood. She just hung up the phone at that point. And she refuses to speak to us since.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lot of people ITT don’t know what ghosting is.

Telling someone you have been seeing “this isn’t working out I’m breaking up with you” and then deleting them off social medial and blocking their number isn’t ghosting.

Deleting them off social media and blocking them without telling them “I’m breaking up with you” is ghosting.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Evil Willow posted:

I dropped comp sci in undergrad because one of the other students in my project group left an actual human shaped grease stain on the futon and insisted I was the rear end in a top hat for insisting "everyone must shower within 24 hours of coming over". That's all this reminds me of.

As for the blocking everyone after a breakup, for a while I feel like every relationship advice columnist I read advocated at least temporarily blocking your ex and their friends after a breakup to ensure a clean break and avoid dragging things out with second thoughts.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

Surprised by some of these comments. I would have hoped at least some people would have knowledge about how important natural body oils are. Wood is natural and would just absorb the oil over the time. These oils are beneficial.

quote:

Yes I’m a licensed esthetician and literally have never heard this AND I WORKED AT A DERMATOLOGY OFFICE FOR 6 YEARS

quote:

That's because dermatology clinics don't want people to know the healing effects of natural body oils. Because you can't sell or market them. They would lose money. That's a fact. You really should do some research before you comment.

i just... i just...

gently caress it, i'm gonna go take a shower

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do comments say whether the table was painted / clearcoated? Guessing not, as OP assumed that her foot oil marks that she saw would go away by absorption, instead of just wiping them off.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"You see, my lack of hygiene and cleaning is in fact good because-"
Shut the gently caress up, get in the acid vat.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

As for the blocking everyone after a breakup, for a while I feel like every relationship advice columnist I read advocated at least temporarily blocking your ex and their friends after a breakup to ensure a clean break and avoid dragging things out with second thoughts.

A complete :sever: was the advice for literally every breakup or rejection according to the old E/N dating threads. Maybe it still is, but I prefer to get my relationship drama fix from non-goon sources these days.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"You see, my lack of hygiene and cleaning is in fact good because-"
Shut the gently caress up, get in the acid vat.

LOL the last post I saw by you mentioned an acid vat too. I don’t know which idea I like more: you have a very finite set of tools which you apply to every problem, or that you just have an acid pit lying around and you’re trying to get your money’s worth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

I dropped comp sci in undergrad because one of the other students in my project group left an actual human shaped grease stain on the futon and insisted I was the rear end in a top hat for insisting "everyone must shower within 24 hours of coming over". That's all this reminds me of.

Goddamn, who are these people? I had a person in my design class who would walk around and little cheese-smelling air biscuits would pop out of the waistband of his pants like a cartoon steamboat

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for showing everyone how little my brother knows about his kids after he's constantly claimed his ex is a terrible mother for "not knowing anything about the kids"?

quote:

This happened at new year's but I'm still getting poo poo for it so here we are.

My brother has 2 kids with his ex wife. Ever since they split he's been constantly saying she's a terrible mother who doesn't know anything about the kids and doesn't deserve any custody of them, but the examples he gives for this seem to me like moments of absent mindedness. Things like her giving a wrong date of birth (she said 8th instead of 18th, then corrected herself), forgetting which kid is in which sporting team, not knowing one of them only eats one flavor of a particular food and buying the wrong flavor.

I know his ex, and from what I've seen she's a great mom. So unless I'm seriously missing something, it seems like my brother is just exaggerating to make her look bad. I've also always had a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't know very much about his kids. His wife had them for new year's and I figured he'd have a lot to say about it, so I found out some info about the kids and when he started claiming his ex knows nothing about the kids and is therefore a terrible mother I quizzed him on his kids. It was pretty simple stuff, favorite toys, teacher's names, allergies, favorite colors, favorite TV shows, what they want to be when they grow up. He didn't do very well. Incidentally, my other brother and sister knew all of that information about their own kids.

My brother was mad at me then and is still mad at me over 2 weeks later. My parents say I need to apologize for embarrassing him in front of the whole family. I think if he was gonna claim his ex knows nothing about their kids and that makes her a bad mom, he should be prepared to demonstrate that he actually knows things about them.

quote:

They have 50/50 custody

quote:

He forgot one allergy. It was the life threatening one.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
On the weekends I like laying in bed for a while and being lazy but eventually I get up and shower. On workdays the second thing I do is shower (after feeding my cats).

I cannot go for many hours being awake and not showering. It triggers something in me. I feel gross and unhygienic and all around disgusting until I finally get that sweet sweet water flowing all over my body and that soap coating me. I can't imagine willingly going a month without showering. I couldn't do it. It's disgusting and these people need to be shunned from society until they get with it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

LOL the last post I saw by you mentioned an acid vat too. I don’t know which idea I like more: you have a very finite set of tools which you apply to every problem, or that you just have an acid pit lying around and you’re trying to get your money’s worth.

Acid is a very versatile tool, what can I say

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Do comments say whether the table was painted / clearcoated? Guessing not, as OP assumed that her foot oil marks that she saw would go away by absorption, instead of just wiping them off.

Even if the wood does end up absorbing the oil, won't it be in just those footprint-shaped spots? It's not going to swallow it or circulate it around the dead wood or anything. It just becomes a permanent stain.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Troublemaker posted:

Even if the wood does end up absorbing the oil, won't it be in just those footprint-shaped spots? It's not going to swallow it or circulate it around the dead wood or anything. It just becomes a permanent stain.

gonna have to invite hygiene lass over to foot up the rest of the table

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

A cat’s skin produces oil the same way ours does. Unlike furred cats, hairless cats don’t have a thick coat to wick it away, which leads to an oily buildup on their skin. If your cat isn’t bathed frequently, they may leave an oily residue behind on your furniture and bedding.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

Our bodies are very intuitive and they will let us know in subtle ways when it's time to do certain things.

Now I'm curious as to what subtle hint to shower she is looking out for, because we know it's not a hideous stench. Maggots?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

gonna have to invite hygiene lass over to foot up the rest of the table

It's free furniture polish!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
dermatologist's got a pretty good racket going. convince people to stop showering, charge them to fix whatever skin problems develop.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Troublemaker posted:

Nah, the body oils = natural, and wood = natural, so the capillaries of the wood will naturally wick the natural oils into the thirsty, body-oil deficient areas of the natural wood and fortify itself with it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

On the weekends I like laying in bed for a while and being lazy but eventually I get up and shower. On workdays the second thing I do is shower (after feeding my cats).

I cannot go for many hours being awake and not showering. It triggers something in me. I feel gross and unhygienic and all around disgusting until I finally get that sweet sweet water flowing all over my body and that soap coating me. I can't imagine willingly going a month without showering. I couldn't do it. It's disgusting and these people need to be shunned from society until they get with it

Who would get into bed after making GBS threads without a shower in between. That's at least one a day.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The nice thing about not showering is that your bedsheets are naturally healed by your body's oils and thus require no cleaning. The rich mélange of bodily excretions will keep you young and spry for the rest of your days.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tarkus posted:

The nice thing about not showering is that your bedsheets are naturally healed by your body's oils and thus require no cleaning. The rich mélange of bodily excretions will keep you young and spry for the rest of your days.

It's like if raw denim were a symbiotic life-form we dwelt alongside

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tarkus posted:

You know it's working when your sheets are stiffer than plywood.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For me it's that distinctive rainbow shimmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
My body is very intuitive and it tells me that it's great to shower *every loving day!*