Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I wish they had just left it at Rule 0 and not made any lovely blog posts that colored how people expect the format should be played. Just have people sit down, ask how Spikey everyone's decks are, and then play accordingly. There's way too many people that fawn over Sheldon and company for their "I'm not saying everyone should be playing this way buuuuut..." posts not to poison the well, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

These are the worst rule ideas I've ever seen, they're not actually being pushed by anyone, are they?

No, it was just a suggestion for how to force the game to be battlecruiser.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t let blogs tell me how to play magic, I feel like most people don’t

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t let blogs tell me how to play magic, I feel like most people don’t

Doesn't stop people from being mad about it

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/status/1479052151435534343

It's a very "funny" situation because so many of these cock-ups were caused by Garfield and the rest of the original designers assuming that, because of the regional distribution and scarcity of certain cards, it would be okay for some of them to be absolutely better than others. Like, surely no one would spend that much money and effort to assemble a Magic deck, right? It's either a fundamental misunderstanding of how games intersect with capitalism, or a cynical lie to drive more sales. (Compare and contrast with one of my all time favorite games, Anachronism, which had 100 cards per set, all with fixed distribution, and thus the only chase cards were tournament and mail-in promos. On the consumer side, it was great, because you paid $100 and you were done with investments until the next set dropped. On the industry side, however, Tri-King struggled to make a profit, and went out of business two years in...)

I love Anarchronism and still have a bunch of sets and about eight decks sleeved. You know, I should go eBay the rest of the sets just have to have them. But I digress...

Speaking of non-cEDH decks going aggro before turn 1,000, I have once again fallen victim to the siren song of Zada, Hedron Grinder. This is the third time I've built the deck, fourth if I include the *~secret commander~* WUBRG version fronted by General Tazri. It's the first time I've built the deck since Fists of Flame came out. YIKES is that card a loving all-star in this deck.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Blogs in 2022? Big lol emoji.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Blogs in 2022? Big lol emoji.

The only difference between Sheldon's SCG column and a livejournal is that he gets paid for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, that and millions of nerds don’t obsessively pout whenever he posts on his livejournal

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Well, that and millions of nerds don’t obsessively pout whenever he posts on his livejournal

Are you telling me the RC website isn't his Livejournal?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unironically, someone explain to me why everyone is trying to pretend like Toxrill is A Thing.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Unironically, someone explain to me why everyone is trying to pretend like Toxrill is A Thing.

Yeah it is very strange that a commander that everyone is ostensibly hyping because it can do a one sided landwipe with some setup is the hot new high cmc battlecruiser commander.

you better believe I bought a kormus bell just in case tho

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

"A Thing" in what sense?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

"A Thing" in what sense?

I'm but I keep seeing passing references to it being the new hot ticket everyone is either afraid of or wants to build around and that seems ludicrous to me as it's a massively overcosted durdle.

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the Big Deal about it is that you can Kormus Bell to wipe people which is like the dumbest slowest 3-card combo that doesn't even end the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

I'm but I keep seeing passing references to it being the new hot ticket everyone is either afraid of or wants to build around and that seems ludicrous to me as it's a massively overcosted durdle.

I'm gonna laugh my rear end off if the Big Deal about it is that you can Kormus Bell to wipe people which is like the dumbest slowest 3-card combo that doesn't even end the game.

It's oppressive but the buildup for it is massive. Plus, Kormus Bell + Urborg + board wipe has always been an available combo, and probably for cheaper than 7 Mana or whatever he costs.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Toshimo posted:

100 percent that's what it is.

I have something like that in Hanna, and have never triggered it even once. An anthem + enchanted evening + opalescence would be a one sided land wipe leaving me with like, several 1/1s and a few beefier enchantments. The one time I got enchanted evening and opalescence on the board, mostly out of spite, still left me with 2 other players with flying dragon boards and a chonky uril and I had no hope of winning, just dragged out the game for the other two players.

I guess toxrill is better in the sense that if you've got your setup, when it hits the board you will get your wipe assuming it makes it to the end step. Good players probably will treat toxrill like any other KOS commander and hold up a counter or a removal or something. Bad players will crumble to the fact that they don't have any interaction, didn't plan for what they would do when the 7 cmc commander came out, and play a land, pass, and then have the land die at the end of their turn.

I still want to do my hanna version of it in a real game, but i never get all 3 pieces for the critical mass combo and i dont think i'd win even if i did it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Laughing at the thought of three people becoming absolutely apoplectic because the fourth person at the table tutored up Urborg with an Expedition Map and nobody has any interaction capable of removing Toxrill, the Bell, or the Urborg before their lands get decimated.

E: I once accidentally played a Starfield of Nyx with Enchanted Evening out and Armageddoned myself.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

100 percent that's what it is.

I have something like that in Hanna, and have never triggered it even once. An anthem + enchanted evening + opalescence would be a one sided land wipe leaving me with like, several 1/1s and a few beefier enchantments. The one time I got enchanted evening and opalescence on the board, mostly out of spite, still left me with 2 other players with flying dragon boards and a chonky uril and I had no hope of winning, just dragged out the game for the other two players.

I guess toxrill is better in the sense that if you've got your setup, when it hits the board you will get your wipe assuming it makes it to the end step. Good players probably will treat toxrill like any other KOS commander and hold up a counter or a removal or something. Bad players will crumble to the fact that they don't have any interaction, didn't plan for what they would do when the 7 cmc commander came out, and play a land, pass, and then have the land die at the end of their turn.

I still want to do my hanna version of it in a real game, but i never get all 3 pieces for the critical mass combo and i dont think i'd win even if i did it.

Enchanted Evening + Cleansing Meditation is a better, easier version of this.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toxrill is cool even if you don't do Kormus Bell. He's a big slug and continuous 1-sided creature wipe. It's slow and kinda durdly, but like Koma, it can easily win a game on its own. Dimir is a solid color identity on top of that.

Also, yes I bought 10 Kormus Bells while they were still $0.50 when the slug was first spoiled.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Heath posted:

Enchanted Evening + Cleansing Meditation is a better, easier version of this.

hmm cleansing meditation never came up in my deck building process... must be a reserve list card let's check the price... a dollar fifty....

hello tcgplayer one cleansing meditation plz.

do i need to meet threshold before i cast the spell?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grevlek posted:

hmm cleansing meditation never came up in my deck building process... must be a reserve list card let's check the price... a dollar fifty....

hello tcgplayer one cleansing meditation plz.

do i need to meet threshold before i cast the spell?

Yes, but that's not hard to do. The "Instead" part makes it necessary to have Threshold first.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

They are bad. I've explained this before in the discord.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve just watched my Kormus Bell steadily climb in value, and that is very funny to me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of jank, I pulled a Soulcatcher's Aerie out of a set booster and now I kind of want to build a Taigam and Dovescape deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of jank, I pulled a Soulcatcher's Aerie out of a set booster and now I kind of want to build a Taigam and Dovescape deck.

Gonna put in Guile too?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Toxrill is a generic dimir deck (so baseline is already solid) which means it has a pretty good turbo adnaus/thoracle plan. It also allows you to run the dramatic scepter combo with Toxrill being the outlet. Actually casting and swinging with Toxrill is Plan C or D at absolute best, but that's still a decent fallback case because it eats hatebears alive, gives you card advantage, and is a decent clock.

Edit: I can't see Kormus Bell being in the actual optimized deck list. It's just a cute interaction.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Aranan posted:

Toxrill is a generic dimir deck (so baseline is already solid) which means it has a pretty good turbo adnaus/thoracle plan. It also allows you to run the dramatic scepter combo with Toxrill being the outlet. Actually casting and swinging with Toxrill is Plan C or D at absolute best, but that's still a decent fallback case because it eats hatebears alive, gives you card advantage, and is a decent clock.

Edit: I can't see Kormus Bell being in the actual optimized deck list. It's just a cute interaction.

100 percent the hype around Toxrill is Urborg + Kormus Bell + Toxrill even if that isn't optimal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

I can't really see what he does better in cEDH than Thrasios with any Bx partner. The amount of games where you cast him and keep him around for his abilities and body seem like they'd make up a vanishingly small amount compared to the massive versatility you gain by going into Thrasios+Partner

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm just looking at these scenarios:
1. People are running Kormus Bell + Toxrill at their battlecruiser tables, where either nobody can disrupt an artifact, a creature, or a land, when It's telegraphed from the commander reveal, which is the perfect storm of "their deck doesn't let me play" that casuals hate, but at 11 Mana total, which is :laffo:
2. People trying to do sick plays with a 7-man commander with no protection, who generates no immediate value, and who is only 2 colors, at higher-power tables which is pure :sickos:
3. People reading Sheldon's blog posts about how it's his Card of the Year, and strenuously believing he's onto something and they are just this close to figuring it out which is adorable :shobon:

I have seen the light. May all your Sluggos be Lit.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
My formal schooling is in economics, not wizardry unfortunately.

Let's say Toxrill is the good who's utility we are interested in.

We can measure impacts on complementary* goods to see if there is a connection to our good of interest.

I'm hypothesizing that Kormus Bell is a complimentary good for Toxrill. If Toxrill has a high demand, demand will rise for complimentary goods. Since Kormus Bell is not being reprinted, its supply is static or decreasing, and an increase in demand, would increase price, ceteris paribus (closest I get to casting a spell in my daily life).

Let's see if there is any noticable price increase for Kormus Bell, that might indicate an increase in demand.

:hmmyes:

Now can I conclude with certainty that the 1000% price increase is related to Toxrill?

*thanks AQE

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 17, 2022

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Funny enough, Kormus Bell + Urborg is no color identity, so it could also go in Elesh Norn or something just as easily.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

Funny enough, Kormus Bell + Urborg is no color identity, so it could also go in Elesh Norn or something just as easily.

Elesh Norn appears to be the second most frequent commander according to EDHrec. I was going to include that but :effort:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys are being enormous brain lords and dramatically over thinking it. Toxril is “a thing” because you ramp into it, protect it, and after basically two turns no else can play creatures and most decks don’t do anything besides play creatures, meanwhile the Toxrill player has a plan and a threat while no one else has anything. It’s not about being a mana outlet or a Kormus bell combo, it’s just a Dimir control commander that incentivizes ramping into your 7 drop and sitting behind a wall of countermagic.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Aranan posted:

I agree with this assessment. It's a Dimir shell (and so, decently good even if the commander is never cast), coupled with a decent removal ability to hit dorks and hatebears (i.e. Thalia, Aven Mindcensor, Vryn Wingmare, Notion Thief, Esper Sentinel, Hushwing Gryff, Glowrider, Kataki, and many others are all 1 toughness), and a draw ability once you have those slugs (including the ability to sac itself to its own ability, negating Gilded Drake and Oko style removal). Seven mana is a lot, but it's comparable with Sygg or Kels in terms of deck construction

In addition to all this, it's flavorful, and that is appealing to a lot of folks. Many very good commanders like Thrasios and Kraum are pretty dull. They give card advantage, and they're efficient in ways that most commanders aren't, but there's not much flavor or uniqueness to it; the commander is just kind of incidentally providing color identity and drawing cards. During many games, they won't even be cast at all. When you have a big slug who puts slime counters on everything, it's easy to put together the type of character this is and the story the card is trying to tell. Other recent cards in that category and ones like Pako and Haldane, where the dog is playing fetch, or Winota, where she's putting together a coalition of humans and monsters. It's easier for me to explain why vampire assassin Etrata puts hit counters on people to win the game or why vampire lord Edgar Markov easily summons a vast army under his control even when he himself is not in play. It's more difficult to explain why Kraum draws you cards when your opponents do things, when he's a fast flying two-headed zombie guy, or to get into the spirit trees of the Abzan to explain Anafenza's "rest in peace" effect. I believe there's a similar Spike/Johnny thing between the wargamers who prefer to play to win and couldn't care less whether it's a toy boat, a plastic chit with triangles, or a pewter soldier they're moving around the board, and the folks who need to make sure the miniature tank they're fielding is the painted the exact right shade of green for the English Army in 1943...

It may have no bearing on actual game play, but I think it does explain why certain cards and strategies blow up.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not about being a mana outlet

I mean, it is about being an infinite mana outlet. Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter are super easy tutor targets in Dimir, and if you get the Dramatic Scepter out you can just win right there. Having an infinite mana outlet in the command zone is super valuable, as you well know Mr. Extus.

Toxrill, despite its creature type, has legs as a competitive deck. I don't know if it's better than something like Najeela but it's still a very high tier by the nature of having blue and black, access to compact game ending combos, and a reliable fall-back plan if the game drags on.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In addition to all this, it's flavorful, and that is appealing to a lot of folks. Many very good commanders like Thrasios and Kraum are pretty dull.
I don't usually go on about cEDH because there's not an audience for it, but there's a difference between Thrasios and Tymna and Kraum, and big splashy stuff besides just being dull. Yeah, T&T are good, but they also need you to have a strong board to make them work. Thrasios needs a lot of mana (which you're not spending on advancing your board or interacting), and draws you cards. Tymna draws you cards, but you need creatures to connect. Both of them generate resources with their card draw, which is huge, but they're still dependent on you having the mana you need to use those cards, and getting the actual threats into your hand. And likewise, if you get interacted with or staxed out, it's easy to get shut down completely because your commanders are slow weenies who don't present a threat on their own.

Then you have something like Toxrill or Pako or Najeela; they are threats that demand you deal with them right this second. Even if you have no cards in hand and no other threats on the table, you have something in the command zone that will win you the game by itself. Even without flavor, a card that dominates the game in your command zone is a different kind of value than cards that make your 99 work better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/sheldonmenery/status/1483112680978268162?s=21

Let’s GOOOOOO

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm not clicking a SCGs link. :colbert:

What's the break down?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just read it. Here's my take:

So much of what Sheldon says is vague or broad to the point of being meaningless. For example: "It’s time to redefine Commander’s target demographic as 'people who want to have fun together.' " Yeah, no kidding my dude. It's a game for us, not a job. Even the spikiest spikes in Standard are still having fun by their own definition. A lot of the article falls along those lines. They're rudderless platitudes without a lot of concrete solutions.

He itemizes a few areas he thinks went well last year, and some areas of future concern. He has very few actionable prescriptions for any of them. As usual, it's the typical "talk is cheap" kind of stuff from him. For example, he focuses on homogeneity as a growing concern, but elsewhere he praises Wizards pushing good EDH products last year (which have increasingly exacerbated homogeneity). I agree with some of his points, like that homogeneity is boring and bad for the format, but he offers nothing as a guy who can influence product design to do anything about it.

There is also an underlying distain for competitive players of all stripes, be they cEDH or even tuned casual players like myself. This paragraph near the start of the article sets the tone:

quote:

A statement on the health of the format is a useful opportunity to point out that in the continued upswing of people joining our community, some folks will bring the “optimize for winning” mindset. What we see there is that that mindset becomes risky for the ability of other people to play casually—which is not an indictment of that mindset. In the abstract, there are no red flags. We only get into trouble when that mindset prioritizes itself over the group (whether that’s your best buds or three strangers at a CommandFest).

gently caress off with this condescending poo poo. Play to win, or go jerk off for three hours. It's a card game that is meant to be won. It's not frizbee or Chinlone or something like that. God drat, Sheldon.

I am increasingly an EDH anarchist, and I mean that in the philosophical/political sense. If we take Sheldon as "the state," then maybe we all just play our own way (i.e., to win) and "the state" will become increasingly irrelevant and maybe someday cease to exist like a bad dream. No gods or kings (or pillowfort losers making GBS threads up the format).

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
don't make me point at the chart again *taps in kormus bell*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

I just read it. Here's my take:

So much of what Sheldon says is vague or broad to the point of being meaningless. For example: "It’s time to redefine Commander’s target demographic as 'people who want to have fun together.' " Yeah, no kidding my dude. It's a game for us, not a job. Even the spikiest spikes in Standard are still having fun by their own definition. A lot of the article falls along those lines. They're rudderless platitudes without a lot of concrete solutions.

He itemizes a few areas he thinks went well last year, and some areas of future concern. He has very few actionable prescriptions for any of them. As usual, it's the typical "talk is cheap" kind of stuff from him. For example, he focuses on homogeneity as a growing concern, but elsewhere he praises Wizards pushing good EDH products last year (which have increasingly exacerbated homogeneity). I agree with some of his points, like that homogeneity is boring and bad for the format, but he offers nothing as a guy who can influence product design to do anything about it.

There is also an underlying distain for competitive players of all stripes, be they cEDH or even tuned casual players like myself. This paragraph near the start of the article sets the tone:

gently caress off with this condescending poo poo. Play to win, or go jerk off for three hours. It's a card game that is meant to be won. It's not frizbee or Chinlone or something like that. God drat, Sheldon.

I am increasingly an EDH anarchist, and I mean that in the philosophical/political sense. If we take Sheldon as "the state," then maybe we all just play our own way (i.e., to win) and "the state" will become increasingly irrelevant and maybe someday cease to exist like a bad dream. No gods or kings (or pillowfort losers making GBS threads up the format).

* glances nervously at a 5C Enchantress list with a bunch of pillowfort poo poo in it * Y-yeah, gently caress those guys.