Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Is all the news just loving making poo poo up today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

kaxman posted:

Is all the news just loving making poo poo up today?

yeah but only today

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

quote:

“It’s just a shame,” said Madelyn Rubin, who lives in Jacksonville, Florida, where officials have halted recycling.

“You know that they could find the money to do it if they wanted to,” she said. “If it was a business that wanted to come in here, they would dump money in to make it happen.”

ha ha ha imagining the turbo screeching from SFH property owners at any increase at all in their solid waste bills

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

come on it's not just chaos

there's also unimaginable and insurmountable levels of institutional inertia at play too, which makes these brick walls we're driving towards that much more fun

kinda like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

was it like, a frozen package

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

it was a package of 3M Auras

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah but only today

Yeah yeah but like it feels more phoned in everyday

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

wouldn't all mail from outside China have traces of Omicron at this point

Morbus
May 18, 2004

post COVID posted:

Peptides used for drugs are going to be GMP grade - if the QC isn't good enough, how do you know you're not snorting other immunogenic peptides, that vary batch to batch and vendor to vendor?

I mean there are vendors available to produce experimental quantities of synthetic peptide under GMP conditions. Presumably someone who is making a DIY vaccine to snort up their nose is also capable of selecting a suitable vend oh who am i kidding lmao

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

this story is really sad

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19positive/comments/s5k8w0/second_time_getting_a_positive_diagnosis_and_im/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it’s worse than the defilers because you kill all those plants and your spells still always fail

trumo was our abalach-re

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah the probability scale is like

old issues of TV Guide - no
maple syrup on dry ice - maybe
black market kidney - sure

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cold-chain transmission is a thing, but also China is really the only nation left that has the werewithal to invest in tracing things like this because every other country has so many cases all borne of inhalation as the vector

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

see, he's fine! just needed to change the filter.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

cold-chain transmission is a thing, but also China is really the only nation left that has the werewithal to invest in tracing things like this because every other country has so many cases all borne of inhalation as the vector

Isn't it more likely one of the international Olympic athletes escaped quarantine to suck and gently caress, and this is just the laziest coverup possible

They're all there by now, right?

edit: what if it was a Canadian athlete, lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

thanks i want to die now

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah but only today

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

:hai: to all the above posts
lol all the old hits keep making comebacks

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

kaxman posted:

Yeah yeah but like it feels more phoned in everyday

yeah? the disconnect from reality is only going to get worse as more and more poo poo piles up and the only real plan is 'pretend it isnt real'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McNugget Buddy posted:

Isn't it more likely one of the international Olympic athletes escaped quarantine to suck and gently caress, and this is just the laziest coverup possible

They're all there by now, right?

edit: what if it was a Canadian athlete, lol

the first time they determined that cold-chain transmission happened was by eliminating literally every other possible source

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2021.164

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

the first time they determined that cold-chain transmission happened was by eliminating literally every other possible source

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2021.164

so why do we need the CIA when someone can just sneeze into a frozen pack of Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Yeah this is almost certainly a cock up, the idea that fomites would live for that entire journey is so insanely unlikely.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Wash your hands

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hashy posted:

Wash your hands

covid is over you never need to wash your hands again

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

I did quite a lot of low-cost/unpaid work for a local climate resiliency org up until very recently. It was a strangely high-doom group since their entire mission statement was essentially that no one is going to do anything, the best we can do is prepare on a very local scale.

Anyway, that experience broke whatever optimism I had left when I saw how hard it was to convince even a fully Democratically-controlled city that storing literal toxic waste on the shore below current flood levels might be a bad idea. We were lobbying to replace a city council member with a Republican at one point because spite was a better approach than working with existing politicians that had economic interests in changing nothing.

poo poo is just wildly broken at every level and the rot is incredibly apparent no matter where you look. The incompetence of our COVID strategy keeps surprising me, but the cruelty and focus on immediate gains over any kind of long-term planning absolutely does not.

Back during the Dust Bowl, there were farmers that refused to leave their land no matter how absolutely bad the dust storms got. With the COVID denialism being what it was I have to wonder if we'll see some variation of people just standing on the coast even as their home vanishes into the sea.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hashy posted:

Wash your hands

the hand washing thing taught me an important lesson that I sort of wish I never learned:
there are adults out there who think lathering your hands in sanitizer and wiping them on your pants counts as washing

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

a few things give me instant march 2020 memory: the feel of a sewn cloth mask and the smell of hand sanitizer.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Insisting fomite transmission is a complete nonfactor is undiluted, aerosolized prime copium coming from inside the thread

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

fosborb posted:

i work in operational and executive reporting and spend a surprisingly good chunk of my day in https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/ to prove to people that they shouldn't make their dashboards look like christmas trees

I feel you. I had a very similar gig two years ago and fought the high contrast fight all the time. It really broke the brains of some boomers that I wanted to take away their Red and Green arrows/numbers everywhere. “It has to be green not blue. I don’t recognize blue as being positive.” Yeah well, now maybe you can empathize with the people who been looking at your reports for a decade and just see a bunch of shades of puke.

I decided I hated myself too much to keep that job and now I get to manage ADA for a whole eCommerce site as part of my current gig. Holy poo poo do people have some aggressive opinions about the extra 5 seconds it takes to add alt text or how much I’m braking their design when I tell them the text on their images is too low contrast. “But that would ruin our creative vision.” Boo-loving-hoo.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

WarEternal posted:

The part that gets me the most is none of the people making minimum wage who have to check this poo poo could possibly even give a gently caress, you show them a picture on your phone, they glance at it and wave you in. Like, it's not a national registered database. These people are impossibly loving dumb, I always knew so but never was it shoved in my face so much, all day, every day.

After the second or third grocery worker was shot and killed by antimaskers most of the desire to die for minimum wage went down the drain, tbqh.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

All the Korean beauty sites are cleaned out of KF94s

:qq:

The only masks BeHealthyUSA has in stock are Christmas and Halloween masks

:qq:

Brave the Home Depot in chudville near wherever you live. Boxes and boxes of n95s await.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

empty whippet box posted:

wait really lol

like i'm not stupid, right? that means those numbers are based on 13/50 states actually providing numbers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cold chain, I can believe.

Plain ol’ letter, now that’s sounding more like lobsters.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Horizon Burning posted:

like i'm not stupid, right? that means those numbers are based on 13/50 states actually providing numbers?

yeah, but every Sunday sees 13/50 states reporting, so the drop in the 7-day average is legit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
50/13 = 3.84

3.84 x 264,432 = 1,015,418

oh well maybe it’ll show up on Tuesday

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

yeah, but every Sunday sees 13/50 states reporting, so the drop in the 7-day average is legit

-60 lol it's nothing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hashy posted:

Insisting fomite transmission is a complete nonfactor is undiluted, aerosolized prime copium coming from inside the thread

yeah, the point isn't that "fomite transmission is impossible", but rather that perhaps 99% of infections are coming from people just taking a big old breath of COVID fumes so fomite transmission is a low-but-non-zero priority, and that public messaging about airborne COVID and N95 mask wearing would have a larger effect on the pandemic than yet another PSA about hand-washing

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I'm going to try gathering the current data on death rates by age, and long covid rates (might even break down the various symptoms), and T-Cell poo poo (gotta figure this out more), vaccine protection rates, and whatever else I can come up with and show some people I'm still trying to care about like THESE ARE YOUR CHANCES OF ALL THESE BAD THINGS EVERY TIME YOU GET COVID

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Pizza re-bakers win again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Now my manager and manager's manager have covid. Noice. His boss, the company owner, is a covid denier who flies interstate every week and is fine.