Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rutibex posted:

What's the run speed of a bear? They have to sleep, I have divination spells. That magic horn isn't going anywhere

Too late, it returned to the earth--ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The DM also wasn't pulling any punches since our fighter-samurai with GWM pretty much one-shot the Chardalyn Dragon.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SchrodingersCat posted:

The DM also wasn't pulling any punches since our fighter-samurai with GWM pretty much one-shot the Chardalyn Dragon.

Really glad I saw that Tidal Wave can be cast in the air before that fight, I kept knocking it prone

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

change my name posted:

Really glad I saw that Tidal Wave can be cast in the air before that fight, I kept knocking it prone

We were only level 5 when we fought the dragon and our wizard refuses to cast spells higher than 1st level. His biggest move is upcasting magic missile like it's a huge thing.

My bladesinger has Widogast's Web of Fire and uses it whenever he can.

My group is half people who are super into RP and half who are into gaming. We have a good time.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m interested in playing if anyone has need of an extra player. I’ve been DMing for so long that I need some more player perspective!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any ideas how I can present Professor Onyx in the Strixhaven module? I have one player who wants to do an independent study with a subject-matter that is dead-on for her, but I want to be sure that there's some value to running the character other than just making a goofy face at a nonexistent camera and hoping the two players who know about MtG get what's going on.

Maybe I should ask the Magic thread as well, I dunno.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm designing an adventure for my players for after they escape the grasp of the slave lords. I figure someone is going to ask them to go on a mission to the moon where a mysterious SCP Containment facility is located, spying on Mystara. Obviously when the PCs arrive there will be a containment breach and a bunch of SCP monsters will be loose. What sort of SCPs would make good D&D encounters? The hard to kill lizard SCP-682 is an obvious one which will have to be included.

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-series

They are going to find this as hint about whats coming up

quote:

SCP-7023 The Inter-dimensional Roller-coaster

Item #: SCP-7026

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Due to the nature of entities that have been seen to emerge from SCP-7026 containment is required in a secure facility in a remote desert site. SCP-7026 is contained in a concrete bunker and guards armed with heavy caliber machine guns are posted at the entrance of SCP-7026 at all times. Guards are also equipped with a variety of tranquilizers and nets in order to capture any instances of SCP-7026 entities that emerge. The O-5 Council recommends an upgrade to these procedures, with a future containment site to be constructed on the other side of the SCP-7026 portal in the extra-dimensional space designated SCP-7026-A "Mystara"

Description: SCP-7026 Appears to be an ordinary theme park amusement ride. However when passengers use this particular amusement ride it does not take them around the roller coaster, but instead disincorporates the passengers and transports them to a "fantasy-type class VII" extra dimension space designated SCP-7026-A "Mystara".

A number of tests were conducted by the foundation to discover the properties of SCP-7026 as well as the nature of the extra dimensional space it transports passengers

Test 1: Five D-Class personnel were fitted with cameras microphones and GPS trackers and sent through the portal. As soon as the D-Class disincorporated the foundation lost all contact with their camera and microphones as well as GPS. Approximately one hour later four of the D-Class personnel returned wearing medieval style clothing and reporting of and encounter with a number of SCP-7026 entities including one called "Dungeon Master" (designated SCP-7026-B). The D-Class reported SCP-7026-B guided them along a fantasy adventure and eventually showed them the way home. The missing D-class was said to have sacrificed himself to save the world. Most oddly the surviving D-class seem to have undertaken several months of adventures in the span of the single hour they were missing

Test 2: A robot drone was sent through the portal, it did not return

Test 3: A Foundation security team was sent through the roller coaster equipped with high powered rifles, nets and a number of anomalous weapons. Their assignment was to capture a number of SCP-7026 instances for study. The security team reported they too encountered SCP-7026-B and the anomaly offered to take them on a fantasy adventure. The security team were able to capture the creature using an anomalous freeze ray. It is contained at Site 15 cryo-storage for further study

SCP-7026

SCP-7026-B

This is what the SCP foundation is all about they are basically the X-Files if the government took it seriously. They find and capture fantasy creatures and try to find their properties to protect humanity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZnaSLpnDf8

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 16, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That's shockingly clever.

But yeah, what do people suggest for Map Making tools? I want to use (a) An app I install/run on Windows; because I dislike browser based tools for various reasons. (b) Easily lets me import tilesets. (c) Has layers and brush tools to create the base landmass/water before filling it in with details for either world maps or local battlemaps indoor/outdoor.

I tried Inkarnate and they have a limit of 100 custom assets which is miniscule compared to all the tilesets I own on Roll20. I tried RPG Map Maker 2 and its pixel art style which is nice but I don't want to commit to that style and also I can't figure out how to import assets.

So something where I can just copy and paste my assets into folders and the tool has decent organization for the assets.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah, what do people suggest for Map Making tools? I want to use (a) An app I install/run on Windows; because I dislike browser based tools for various reasons. (b) Easily lets me import tilesets. (c) Has layers and brush tools to create the base landmass/water before filling it in with details for either world maps or local battlemaps indoor/outdoor.

I tried Inkarnate and they have a limit of 100 custom assets which is miniscule compared to all the tilesets I own on Roll20. I tried RPG Map Maker 2 and its pixel art style which is nice but I don't want to commit to that style and also I can't figure out how to import assets.

So something where I can just copy and paste my assets into folders and the tool has decent organization for the assets.

I've been using dungeondraft. It's $20 but I think it's worth it. You can export as an image to import to roll20, or as a vtt format for other vtts like foundry

e: I know it can do custom assets but I haven't tried that so can't comment

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been using dungeondraft. It's $20 but I think it's worth it. You can export as an image to import to roll20, or as a vtt format for other vtts like foundry

e: I know it can do custom assets but I haven't tried that so can't comment

Wonderdraft is the same developer’s program for making world/regional maps. I’d highly recommend both, they meet all of the requirements stated.

E: apparently there is an importer for the full-fat VTT file that Dungeondraft makes for exporting into roll20, so you can do lighting and walls in Dungeondraft and have them work in Roll20. I’ve only heard about it, never used it myself.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The importer for foundry works really well. I just cancelled my r20 sub to move my campaign over.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I only use dungeondraft and it works great. Consider backing Forgotten Adventures or Crosshead on Patreon to get custom assets.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any ideas how I can present Professor Onyx in the Strixhaven module? I have one player who wants to do an independent study with a subject-matter that is dead-on for her, but I want to be sure that there's some value to running the character other than just making a goofy face at a nonexistent camera and hoping the two players who know about MtG get what's going on.

Maybe I should ask the Magic thread as well, I dunno.

Clearly you need to have Liliiana and Prof Onyx in the same room together to establish that Prof Onyx is not Liliana.

You players can get into wacky hijinks in their efforts to prove the opposite.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've went and got Wondercraft and managed to import my roll20 assets, the organization could be a bit better; because its a really massive dropdown list of the default assets and adding my own will make it longer. For "Symbols" (stamps in Inkarnate); my categories are "Symbols", "Mountains" and "Trees" which is a little limiting. I got stuff like "Tundra" that don't really fit in either mountains or trees and don't wanna overly crowd "symbols" and make one list or another overly long. Unless there's some QoL organization features I haven't found yet that would improve this other than "carefully pick only the asset packs I need".

Dungeoncraft is mainly for dungeons right? I own it as well, I'll check out those patreons.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've went and got Wondercraft and managed to import my roll20 assets, the organization could be a bit better; because its a really massive dropdown list of the default assets and adding my own will make it longer. For "Symbols" (stamps in Inkarnate); my categories are "Symbols", "Mountains" and "Trees" which is a little limiting. I got stuff like "Tundra" that don't really fit in either mountains or trees and don't wanna overly crowd "symbols" and make one list or another overly long. Unless there's some QoL organization features I haven't found yet that would improve this other than "carefully pick only the asset packs I need".

Dungeoncraft is mainly for dungeons right? I own it as well, I'll check out those patreons.

Dungeondraft has some automated features for creating buildings, dungeons and caves but works well for virtually encounter maps. World maps or towns are not really the scope of dungeondraft.

It's incredibly easy to whip up some quick maps in it or do huge detailed dungeons if you take your time.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Also shouting out Dungeon/Wonder draft for dungeon/world mapping, as well as Crosshead's assets (not a fan of the Forgotten Adventure style, but lots of people love them too)

Arivia posted:

Wonderdraft is the same developer’s program for making world/regional maps. I’d highly recommend both, they meet all of the requirements stated.

E: apparently there is an importer for the full-fat VTT file that Dungeondraft makes for exporting into roll20, so you can do lighting and walls in Dungeondraft and have them work in Roll20. I’ve only heard about it, never used it myself.

There is also a module for Foundry to accept the file with walls/lighting.

I got bored and instead of working wanted to test this importing stuff so I threw together a quick little interior map and exported with the VTT file and it's available here if people want to try and import it to their VTT of choice to see how it works (downloads may be limited, yell at me if it breaks):

https://file.io/pm7RgkMdaLvG

and here is what the Foundry import ends up looking like (wall view) and the lighting object over the fire is a Foundry lighting object as well, extremely neat stuff:

Also check out the mapping thread if y'all haven't :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That reminds me, how do y'all handle multileveled maps. Like a map that has a ground floor, but there's stairs to like an upper floor that's just like catwalks above the below floor, so if you were above you could snipe enemies and vice versa.

Is there a way to toggle on/off "levels" of dungeons in Foundry to let players see whats below easily? Or is it better to just separate them out so the top level has the below level "under" it, but the "below level" is a separate section of the dungeon map the players are looking at and maybe just duplicate tokens for the sake of tracking where people are relative to each other?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

That reminds me, how do y'all handle multileveled maps. Like a map that has a ground floor, but there's stairs to like an upper floor that's just like catwalks above the below floor, so if you were above you could snipe enemies and vice versa.

Is there a way to toggle on/off "levels" of dungeons in Foundry to let players see whats below easily? Or is it better to just separate them out so the top level has the below level "under" it, but the "below level" is a separate section of the dungeon map the players are looking at and maybe just duplicate tokens for the sake of tracking where people are relative to each other?

no solution will be adequate until it can run Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits :getin:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I usually just put upstairs and downstairs on different parts of the same scene and drag people upstairs as need be. I know in Foundry there's a couple of modules (Levels and Multilevel Tokens) that might be of interest for you for adding actual levels to maps. The catwalk thing is certainly possible, but I couldn't actually describe how to do it because it's just a thing I saw in a YouTube video (~9:00 into this vid if the link doesn't work) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnXVnJ70iM&t=541s).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I usually just put upstairs and downstairs on different parts of the same scene and drag people upstairs as need be. I know in Foundry there's a couple of modules (Levels and Multilevel Tokens) that might be of interest for you for adding actual levels to maps. The catwalk thing is certainly possible, but I couldn't actually describe how to do it because it's just a thing I saw in a YouTube video (~9:00 into this vid if the link doesn't work) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snnXVnJ70iM&t=541s).

This looks rad as gently caress. I'll check it out! :D

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I finally have my Out of the Abyss character sorted I think, a level 1 Variant Human fighter starting with the Tough feat and 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, and 10 Cha. I'm going straight battle master so I took the fighting style that grants you a maneuver and one superiority die.

I've been spoiled the tiniest bit and I know there's the potential for madness effects to be slung around (more than the potential, it'll probably happen), did I screw myself by dumping mental stats? Even some of the short-term effects seem pretty dehabilitating

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

In foundry you can use the stairs module and link stairs to different scenes to teleport the tokens

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

change my name posted:

So I finally have my Out of the Abyss character sorted I think, a level 1 Variant Human fighter starting with the Tough feat and 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, and 10 Cha. I'm going straight battle master so I took the fighting style that grants you a maneuver and one superiority die.

I've been spoiled the tiniest bit and I know there's the potential for madness effects to be slung around (more than the potential, it'll probably happen), did I screw myself by dumping mental stats? Even some of the short-term effects seem pretty dehabilitating

I wouldn’t optimize my character based on a spoiler, personally. Your character is going to be a dumbass, though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

no solution will be adequate until it can run Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits :getin:

Good God (no pun intended), that's complex for the sake of being complex.

(I would love to see it rendered in a 3d space though.)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

imagine dungeons posted:

I wouldn’t optimize my character based on a spoiler, personally. Your character is going to be a dumbass, though.

Well yes, that's how even my smart characters usually end up shaking out anyways so why not cut out the middleman and go there from the start

(She's a Red Sonya knockoff who's great at beating people up but pretty much an oaf otherwise)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Well yes, that's how even my smart characters usually end up shaking out anyways so why not cut out the middleman and go there from the start

(She's a Red Sonya knockoff who's great at beating people up but pretty much an oaf otherwise)

If you want to eke out the most optimal set of stats, I think you dump int and cha, not wis.

https://www.dungeonsolvers.com/2019/09/06/common-saving-throw-abilities/

(I don't think it matters if you have a fully realised character in mind)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This stuff is really awesome and I appreciate the dedication people have to do it, but the way the applications are built it is super tedious to do this kind of stuff. I tried it a few times for a couple small set pieces, but I’d love if the software were easier to navigate so I could flesh out some of my other plans. I’d love to build out a small city like he has with multiple levels, that’d be super dope. I think I’d genuinely pay decent money for a pack that comes with that kind of stuff prebuilt.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have discovered after looking at some youtube videos that apparently Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator lets you edit the map :aaa:

My plan now is to create the rough landmasses I have in mind in Azgaar's, export the height map and biome map and then manually in Wondercraft make my world using the tilesets I want. Basically so I can have reasonably correct mountains/hills.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Character concept: ASMR Bard

No singing, no music. All performances involve whispering, tapping, and crinkling. Somehow your pals find this very inspiring.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

No singing, no music. All performances involve whispering, tapping, and crinkling. Somehow your pals find this very inspiring.

Unboxing a new lute mid-battle…

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Facebook Aunt posted:

For some reason their brain just tingles and vibrates and they love it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

This sounds extremely Critical Roll. :D

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

So this is a neat idea and I hope you have fun with it, but I'm just going to put something out there, and maybe I am the weird one here, but it may be worth talking about that concept with other players.

The reason I say this is that, well, ASMR stuff makes me like.....I dunno, angry? The weird whispering and crinkly paper stuff from someone outside of specific contexts (generally intimacy with someone), just makes my fight or flight response go through the roof. It is like this involuntary anger response, and like I know it is completely irrational, and I usually just shrug it off, but if I was in a campaign with someone doing that poo poo, I would probably just have to quit. Even thinking about it here is making my hair stand on end and it is horrifically unpleasant, its like the auditory equivalent of those lotus pod photoshops. I don't know how common this is, but if it happens to me, I am sure there are others.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 18, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of bards, can you gain proficiency in playing random things, like the spoons (or rhythm sticks I guess) or washboard? Since I mean, if someone was actually able to play something good with them, I'd find that pretty inspiring! haha :D

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The entire idea behind the bard class being magical through music is so goofy that if your DM doesn't let them blow on a jug or slap spoons then you should eject them from your gaming circle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Madmarker posted:

So this is a neat idea and I hope you have fun with it, but I'm just going to put something out there, and maybe I am the weird one here, but it may be worth talking about that concept with other players.

The reason I say this is that, well, ASMR stuff makes me like.....I dunno, angry? The weird whispering and crinkly paper stuff from someone outside of specific contexts (generally intimacy with someone), just makes my fight or flight response go through the roof. It is like this involuntary anger response, and like I know it is completely irrational, and I usually just shrug it off, but if I was in a campaign with someone doing that poo poo, I would probably just have to quit. Even thinking about it here is making my hair stand on end and it is horrifically unpleasant, its like the auditory equivalent of those lotus pod photoshops. I don't know how common this is, but if it happens to me, I am sure there are others.

Nah I dislike ASMR too, particularly the mouth smacking. I don't want to hear anyone's wet mouth noises, thank you very much.

It's just fun to imagine bards whose delightful performance isn't the standard lute and toot. Several descriptions of the bard and bard subclasses mention things like speech and poetry. The Performance skill mentions music, dance, acting, storytelling and "other". A classical jester might tell jokes, do tumbling, prat falls, and flatulist performances. Maybe your bard is a buff dude whose primary performance is dance, specifically Haka.

I think things like Critical Role can be intimidating. You might like everything about about playing a support caster, but you aren't confident you can improvise songs on the fly like Scanlan. Or maybe you're just tone deaf. Does that mean you should never play a bard? Of course not.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of bards, can you gain proficiency in playing random things, like the spoons (or rhythm sticks I guess) or washboard? Since I mean, if someone was actually able to play something good with them, I'd find that pretty inspiring! haha :D

Personally I'd say yes, absolutely. Drums are listed as a possible instrument, and the kind of drums you can play while wandering are very simple, so simple instruments are in. Spoons, washboard, a guy who just shimmies his tambourine, or plays the perfect single note on the triangle.

Hell, have a bard who channels the weave through beatboxing, a perfectly valid form of verbal performance.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Excellent replies! Just what I want to hear :D (and beatboxing is an excellent idea! As long as I'm not expected to RP it with any degree of proficiency if at all, hahaha)

...NOW...what if I crank it up a notch by suggesting an electric lute? (or another instrument) Like, either using the Shocking Grasp cantrip on it each time you play for a performance as an action, or somehow have a similar spell applied to it through other means. (e.g. item enchantment or Familiar abuse)
Since if I could play something like "Thunderstruck" or...I dunno, "Pour Some Sugar On Me" maybe, alongside another backing bard, then I would be very happy!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Excellent replies! Just what I want to hear :D (and beatboxing is an excellent idea! As long as I'm not expected to RP it with any degree of proficiency if at all, hahaha)

...NOW...what if I crank it up a notch by suggesting an electric lute? (or another instrument) Like, either using the Shocking Grasp cantrip on it each time you play for a performance as an action, or somehow have a similar spell applied to it through other means. (e.g. item enchantment or Familiar abuse)
Since if I could play something like "Thunderstruck" or...I dunno, "Pour Some Sugar On Me" maybe, alongside another backing bard, then I would be very happy!

You’re going to want Animate Dead for your skeleton backing band

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

imagine dungeons posted:

You’re going to want Animate Dead for your skeleton backing band

Danse Macabre ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Base Emitter posted:

Danse Macabre ffs

Hell yeah! I didn't know about this spell until you mentioned it. drat, now I need a L5 wizard with levels in bard, to pull this off :D (works better this way too, seeing as animated corpses don't need money! My take will be all the bigger)