Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I try to keep volatiles on hand for those edge cases where it comes in useful but then I find a bunch in a ruin, forget to keep some, and sell the whole lot. I do the same with metals and transplutonics and then can't chuck down nav buoys and sensor boosters in remnant systems when i want them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
While I'm usually disciplined about that stuff, I'd definitely appreciate being able to mark an inventory slot for "20 transplutonics" or "100 supplies". All it'd need to do is to first fill it or empty it to said number if you're doing ctrl+click trading. Would just need a second click if you want to sell it all regardless or buy to capacity.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'd actually love a feature for your colonies where you have supply fleets track you down and deliver things you order so you could just stay exploring the entire time.

Just had a moment where all my space battleships formed a battle line accidentally because they all have the same range weapons and unloaded a broad side. It was tim and eric air kisses. Beware the LRM's from S&W haha those things loving arrive right as my fighters and blow them all up, thankfully i've swapped to all unmanned fighters so it's not a big deal but still it'll destroy an entire wave in 1 missile. I gotta say i'm using a musashi BC and so far it's not OP and all of the ships and weapons are on par with my vanilla apogee builds. The weapons can be loving terrifying when on spinal mounts but the refire delay balances them really well so far--1 hit will make you flinch and build up that flux but it takes awhile for another hit.

Industrial evolution is pretty nice so far, those buildings that basically just counter a hazard type is really nice. I'm still confused as to why the loving pathers hate orbital mirrors, they're not that advanced for a space faring society haha. It's gonna be nice just filling the loving sector with food though, already got 3 amazing food and organic planets and they can all take soil nanites and orbital mirrors.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Can confirm, object analysis mod is good.

Unobtrusive, but lets the compulsive part of me rest.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

As a note, an Expanse mod can't work, just like a video game of it can't work like it does in the books or the show. Nothing in the entire universe has armor that can stop a railgun or a missile hit. There is essentially no meaningful armor in that universe. PDC's shoot down missiles, but at a certain distance whoever has the fastest and most accurate railguns wins. Even Point Defense Cannons straight penetrate other ships. Space combat is brutal as gently caress in that universe.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I can't remember, does shadowy post here?

BitBasher posted:

As a note, an Expanse mod can't work, just like a video game of it can't work like it does in the books or the show. Nothing in the entire universe has armor that can stop a railgun or a missile hit. There is essentially no meaningful armor in that universe. PDC's shoot down missiles, but at a certain distance whoever has the fastest and most accurate railguns wins. Even Point Defense Cannons straight penetrate other ships. Space combat is brutal as gently caress in that universe.

there is a game that was? is? on steam that was kinda like it but more 'realistic'. it was just ships blasting past each other at insane speeds over extreme distances along huge orbits (like slinging around jupiter and poo poo at .1% light speed) and jousting in the microseconds they are actually hittable as they pass each other at very close distances. haven't looked at it in years though, forgot what it's called.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 16, 2022

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Children of a Dead Earth is probably what you're thinking. It's a bit nuts, really.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's a concept that is appealing for exactly 5 minutes, except for the 0.01% of extreme nerds that also love those realistic submarine sims.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Taerkar posted:

Polarized Armor does three things:
1) Increases max damage reduction of armor from 85% to 90% This means that a 100 damage hit against armor that's tough enough will be reduced down to 10 damage instead of 15. This significantly helps armor brick ships as after a certain point that extra armor loses some of its usefulness against lighter hits (outside of just being more armor to chew through). Hits that didn't hit that 85% cap in the first place will be unaffected... UNTIL
2) Increases the effective armor by up to 50% for calculations, depending on ship flux. More flux = more bonus armor for damage reductions. This means that that 90% cap could potentially include heavier hits as well, which can be quite significant.
3) Increases EMP resistance by up to 50% depending on ship flux (EMP stuff is arcane and I don't fully understand it, but EMP is also the bane of armor tanking, so this helps reduce that)

Against lighter hits #1 applies more. Won't matter too terribly much against a 10 damage hit (I think the game does do decimals?), but against a 50 point hit that's only 5 damage instead of 7.5 getting through. 500 point energy hit? Your armor would only take 50 instead of 75. This *also* applies to the residual 5% armor protection even after the armor is stripped, which really helps with those small but rapid hits.

Against heavier hits #2 applies more, especially at high flux. This really helps when it comes to 'finishers' as that's probably when the ship's flux is pushing that 80% or more. If you've got over 2k armor that means you can actually eat a Reaper and not be utterly crippled, though it's still going to hurt like hell.

Note that if you have a ship with no shields + no phase you automatically get the 50% level, this is actually a nice buff to shield shunt use. You can also put on some other mods that reduce emp damage and basically be able to brick through EMP to crush faces in

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's very strong on low tech ships that get into somethings face, use shields to selectively shield against reapers or huge HE hits and then when you and the target are near max flux you just drop shields entirely and bully them to destruction. You'll tank so much extra damage from bieng basically at the flux cap that even torpedoes don't scare you that much if it means killing of something critical to the enemy line.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I try to keep volatiles on hand for those edge cases where it comes in useful but then I find a bunch in a ruin, forget to keep some, and sell the whole lot. I do the same with metals and transplutonics and then can't chuck down nav buoys and sensor boosters in remnant systems when i want them

lol I trained myself to keep transplutonics on hand simply so I can be little Johnny Commseed and spread communication relays across the Sector

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which I can only imagine will eventually trigger an invasion by domain network engineering because of your horrific janky rear end hyperwave network screaming noise across the galaxy.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's funny to think a Domain broadcast could be interrupted by a Max-Headroom style incident where the screen gets filled with WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE WE WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT US WE ARE ALIVE HERE

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carcer posted:

It's a concept that is appealing for exactly 5 minutes, except for the 0.01% of extreme nerds that also love those realistic submarine sims.

honestly it wasn't the strategy game aspect of children of a dead earth that bothered me, it was just that the controls are so loving clunky. trying to do poo poo like burst a laser all along an enemies orbital path in the hopes of burning out their radiator is cool. if it was just a little more sci fi it would be sick.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Do skills that benefit "piloted ship" also affect fighters from my ship?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

Not unless it says so. I think "Point Defense" is the only skill that does that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jinnigan posted:

Not usually, but some of the green fleet-wide carrier skills have extra effects for ships with officers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Excelzior posted:

lol I trained myself to keep transplutonics on hand simply so I can be little Johnny Commseed and spread communication relays across the Sector

You should play Death Stranding, I think you’d enjoy it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

TTS Ideas Guy is in danger of suffering critical malfunctions

lol

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Did some redacted hunting and besides the AI having a hard time dealing with extreme range fighting the musashi ships did really well. It's funny that the S&W ships are being more OP than them haha though the musashi ships are all really low on the DP cost but honestly they're not over performing for that cost. The radiant has a really hard time dealing with getting hit constantly by the railguns so it tends to be extra cautious even though it could technically rush in and grab a kill. So far i'm still just using a cruiser fleet with 1 BC so we're doing better than my 3 legion fleet but honestly i think that's just because vanilla has a terrible carrier selection. The dedicated musashi carriers are loving amazing, 4 wings with a decent PD layout but they also double as freighters with a really good fuel/cargo capacity for their size. They're under priced DP wise atm at 15 but if he changes them to 20-22 they'd fit right in with vanilla.

Once i get some of the bigger capitals i'll be able to see how balanced they are but i'm guessing the biggest one is supposed to be a super ship.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Question: does salvaging enhancement % stack linearly?

Is there any hard/soft cap to it?

Wondering if the fleet "Paragon and 29 salvage rigs" can kill a kite and pull 500 supplies out of the wreck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe the tooltip is explicit that no, it does not, you get diminishing returns for each salvage gantry equipped vessel of the same hull size you bring, it gives you a readout of your current general salvage bonus.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

OwlFancier posted:

I believe the tooltip is explicit that no, it does not, you get diminishing returns for each salvage gantry equipped vessel of the same hull size you bring, it gives you a readout of your current general salvage bonus.

I would really, really like the ability to tooltip over built-in hullmods and the like when inspecting a ship in the store. It's all very well knowing that the ship you're planning on purchasing has some unique hullmod but it doesn't help my purchasing decisions much when I don't know what it actually DOES. Or for that matter looking over ships with d-mods and trying to work out if it's worth buying anyways. I mean, yeah, you play long enough you'll remember it all eventually but I could use reminders now and then, and for things like salvage efficiency it'd be nice to get a confirmation of just how much you're getting in diminishing returns.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I really should pay more attention to tooltips.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tomn posted:

I would really, really like the ability to tooltip over built-in hullmods and the like when inspecting a ship in the store. It's all very well knowing that the ship you're planning on purchasing has some unique hullmod but it doesn't help my purchasing decisions much when I don't know what it actually DOES. Or for that matter looking over ships with d-mods and trying to work out if it's worth buying anyways. I mean, yeah, you play long enough you'll remember it all eventually but I could use reminders now and then, and for things like salvage efficiency it'd be nice to get a confirmation of just how much you're getting in diminishing returns.

In general it would be nice to be able to load any craft in the refit screen so you can test drive it and test fit it with different loadouts, as well as check the mods etc.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I decided to investigate the things protecting a coronal hypershunt and :supaburn: happened. RIP 2 paragons and an astral.

Does low tech fair better against the things outside the core worlds and around cool tech?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Azuth0667 posted:

I decided to investigate the things protecting a coronal hypershunt and :supaburn: happened. RIP 2 paragons and an astral.

Does low tech fair better against the things outside the core worlds and around cool tech?

Nothing is really strong against SUPER REDACTED. The best way I found to deal with them is non-stop missile pressure to force them to keep their shields up and hitting them with the strongest EMP/HE weapons once they're near flux. If you can't constantly pressure them, they can easily disengage and managed their flux levels since their dissipation is so high. Once they separate into smaller ships, missiles especially Locusts become even more effective since they have lower flux stats and you can clean them up more easily.

The Harbinger special system works against them too if you can line up big hits with it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I just discovered the remnant quest line in nexerlin interested to see how this goes.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Haha my answer was to load up with a ton of extra crew, tossed all my marines on a safe station and brought 30 combat ships. I lost all but 1 legion and my cruiser/frigate dregs took a beating but funny enough my cruiser carriers fared really well. All tech types will work against the horrors in space but generally the high tech ones will give things up for speed and flux but the problem is redacted ships will do it better than them so beware bringing auroras who's only thing is their speed and good flux management. You generally want a really strong kinetic load out for pounding shields and keeping flux up while things like bombers or a few dedicated ships exploit the high flux.

I thought i had all the musashi ships but a few super ones, NOPE! There's 3 huge battleships, one has 5 loving carrier decks and the modular carriers large variant has 6 loving flight decks haha. Gonna keep 1 ebisu M as a backup carrier with it's 4 decks then try to rock 2 of those battle carriers for loving 14 wings on the field not counting the few wings that other ships bring in. I love how all the modded ships already come with built in mods that just make sense, of course you're going to want to stick range mods on your artillery ship. It's funny how ECM kinda bites you in the rear end when you have a higher range than vanilla haha, i'm sticking ECCM/ECM on a ton of my ships as built in S mods because i'm seeing as much as 20% ECM against redacted.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Azuth0667 posted:

The unique capital you can get from the galatia plot is a giant force equalizer against those thanks to its ship system.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Onslaught does surprisingly well at the hypershunt if you build right. Burn driving in at the right moment to keep up the pressure works

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

BitBasher posted:

As a note, an Expanse mod can't work...

Fine what about Babylon 5

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Stairmaster posted:

I just discovered the remnant quest line in nexerlin interested to see how this goes.

It doesn't really go anywhere but it does let you build up rep with the Remnant if you want to explore in peace.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It's a cool thing but honestly not worth it, you lose out on cores you could be getting from fighting remnant fleets opportunistically.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Which is neat but I'm not sure I want a truce with the main source of alpha cores. If remnants did raids I'd be more interested.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brandfarlig posted:

Which is neat but I'm not sure I want a truce with the main source of alpha cores. If remnants did raids I'd be more interested.

I'm pretty sure they do in nexerelin.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zudgemud posted:

I'm pretty sure they do in nexerelin.

They do. I just had a remnant raid on my main colony system.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It's amazing for an early scavenging start.

Just a couple of rep points push remnants into neutrality, which let's you pick through high-risk systems mostly in peace.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a critical relation to maintain for Breaker/Pather/Pirate/really bad random relation starts, because it makes the fringes safer and also it won't ever piss anybody off to make the Remnants like you.

Plus when the contact offers to sell you an order of items you can get really good poo poo out of it, especially if you have one of the mods that adds better remnant versions of weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tabletops posted:

I can't remember, does shadowy post here?

Sometimes, I think FFXIV have her bad rn.