Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

marshalljim posted:

They're adding yet another race this year (23 vs 22), but the season will be two weeks shorter overall (35 weeks vs 37 last year). Way too many races and too long of a season, but maybe having less "break" time will help a bit?

Definitely not for anybody involved who isn’t flying private it won’t. They’re about to grind the mechanics into dust.

Douchebag posted:

Yeah so? Make Haas do Daytona and Le Mans. Let’s see what these new F1 cars can do over 24 hours

The engines are designed to last maybe half the racing distance at best. Full engine changes are also generally a DNF in endurance racing.

GrunkleStalin posted:

What’s the best way to watch the endurance races?

Kind of depends on where you live.

Also, date for Ferrari’s car reveal is set:

https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/status/1482978716997373952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

acidx posted:

the youtube highlights video when they are over

:wrong:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Baseball needs the long season to account for the coin flip that is most baseball games. They are too long though, 2.5 hours is enough baseball most days. The proposed solutions to game length that I can't remember all struck me as dumb though

Except pitch clock. Do pitch clock.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Just remove all those bullshit middle eastern countries and Russia.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What was the last race where the chequered flag was waved by somebody standing on the track? It was always happening in old races, now it never happens.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zandvoort should go, not just because it's full of the worst fans but because any circuit where you have to restrict double-stacking due to a stupidly short pit lane shouldn't have Grade 1 status. I don't care much about Monaco either, make it some sort of qualifying shootout with points awarded and then have all the drivers do a historic GP on the Sunday or whatever.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Found a pic of the new Ferrari, weird that it isn't painted red yet though

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

new alpine just dropped

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
New Ferrari leaked already:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ethanol posted:

new alpine just dropped

BREAD TORQUE

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Fake. Too aerodynamic.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Should've done it on Valentine's day. They've lost all their passion very sad to see.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is racism against Italians.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This thread is a bright spot in the world. There's so much hope between the old season and a new one with a new car due. We can all pretend that somehow the new season will bring us in to a new competitive era of racing, delivering our McLaren boys to the podium, while giving Our Lewis his 8th WDC before he can retire and immediately be raptured in to the energy of the universe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ethanol posted:

new alpine just dropped

Lights out and a whey we go!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Clarence posted:

What was the last race where the chequered flag was waved by somebody standing on the track? It was always happening in old races, now it never happens.

They still do at Le Mans I think, but the finish isn’t really a finish at Le Mans

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

italian quid posted:

This is racism against Italians.

You are NEVER wrong when racist against Italians. NEVER

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They still do at Le Mans I think, but the finish isn’t really a finish at Le Mans

The dude almost got hit by a car last year

Edit: because there was racing to the line

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

probably fake

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 17, 2022

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ok, I’m an Alpine fan now

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

Nah OP this is too good not to share.

https://twitter.com/AIpineF1Team/status/1483106536268476423
https://twitter.com/FormuIa1_F1/status/1483137227240755204

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I hope this means Brivio goes back to Suzuki

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Nandos is better than KFC and Popeyes.
All American food is 10% normal food and 90% high fructose corn syrup
All Americans are a similar ratio.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Here's what I'm thinking

• Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku (Rotate Baku and Baku annually)
  • Monaco
  • Baku
  • Canada
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Netherlands (rotate with Nurburgring annually)
  • Italy
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • Baku
  • United States (COTA and Miami on rotation)
  • Mexico
  • Brazil
  • Jeddah

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
While I recognize the greatness of Baku (member of the European continent and the European Union) I am concerned that it is not actually a good track and it has been only luck and abnormal driver mistakes that made its races good the past few years. Does it really have Good features objectively?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's consistently delivered good races so even if that's the result of being accidentally built on an ancient burial site instead of the track geometry then I'll take it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

While I recognize the greatness of Baku (member of the European continent and the European Union) I am concerned that it is not actually a good track and it has been only luck and abnormal driver mistakes that made its races good the past few years. Does it really have Good features objectively?

I mean it's got a tremendously long straight and then windy narrow street poo poo, what more could you want?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think a lot of its success is down to its huge straight loving with a lot of the tire temperature management since you aren't really loading the tires significantly for that part of the lap and then funnelling everyone into a street circuit after the fact.

Its good in the sense that its design is different from all the other tracks that since 1994 have uniformly moved in a certain direction converging on all tracks outside of Monaco having specific features. That's probably why you've seen weird mistakes and unforced errors produced by teams and drivers. but I think if you're looking at it objectively it probably in isolation is not a good track and there's going to be a major loving incident in that narrow section at some point.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Don't forget the new Red Bull

and the new Hass

and the new Williams

and the new Aston Martin

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I meant in F1, but I didn't know that about Le Mans!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Ahahaha I thought he got permabanned.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

italian quid posted:

I think a lot of its success is down to its huge straight loving with a lot of the tire temperature management since you aren't really loading the tires significantly for that part of the lap and then funnelling everyone into a street circuit after the fact.

Its good in the sense that its design is different from all the other tracks that since 1994 have uniformly moved in a certain direction converging on all tracks outside of Monaco having specific features. That's probably why you've seen weird mistakes and unforced errors produced by teams and drivers. but I think if you're looking at it objectively it probably in isolation is not a good track and there's going to be a major loving incident in that narrow section at some point.
From a perspective of objectivism then, as an objectivist who evaluates objects, I can deduce that the only thing objectively good about Our Baku is the straight. Because narrow windy street poo poo is bad in famous example of Monaco. I'm worried that once the teams learn to manage the tires better, it'll just be a Monaco with painted tarps over the buildings.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

In retrospect it probably would've been far less convoluted to say its good on the basis that its a track outside of the tilkedrome cookie cutter template but that shouldn't make it a template for circuits going forward. But unfortunately I think it basically is based on Jeddah and Miami

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm reading the MotoGP thread and I forgot how out there the depressed kiwi guy's opinions were lmao

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

From a perspective of objectivism then, as an objectivist who evaluates objects, I can deduce that the only thing objectively good about Our Baku is the straight. Because narrow windy street poo poo is bad in famous example of Monaco. I'm worried that once the teams learn to manage the tires better, it'll just be a Monaco with painted tarps over the buildings.

The long straight and T1, 2, 3 complex are what make Baku so welcoming. going from a 4 lane highway at 330ish km/h down to a single lane almost 90* turn presents itself as a great passing opportunity for the dive bombers and is where most of the incidents come from (apart from the odd LeClerc binning it near the castle).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Flavio hasn't been in the sport with Horner and Wolff about. Netflix newcomers, you are in for a show.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's a parody account, fyi

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am both had and immeasurably sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

(apart from the odd LeClerc binning it near the castle).

Are you talking about baku or monaco?