Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

so how long on coffee. 3 years? I’ll do the grab as much instant at Costco as I can. also, how hard is it to grow tea in a greenhouse? long term happy to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

moved to Dallas a few months ago (rip) and I was wondering why all the light poles were leaning over the roads and poo poo. like majorly leaning, about to fall over. and then it dawned on me, the ice did this. heavy rear end ice pulled them sideways and they just haven’t bothered to put them back. lol, lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Howdges posted:

moved to Dallas a few months ago (rip) and I was wondering why all the light poles were leaning over the roads and poo poo. like majorly leaning, about to fall over. and then it dawned on me, the ice did this. heavy rear end ice pulled them sideways and they just haven’t bothered to put them back. lol, lmao

lol @ moving to texas

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LionArcher posted:

so how long on coffee. 3 years? I’ll do the grab as much instant at Costco as I can. also, how hard is it to grow tea in a greenhouse? long term happy to switch.
i'm a big coffee drinker but I don't worry about trying to squeeze out a little bit more time of the last vestigial remnants of the status quo that I was used to for just a little while longer. if it's gone, it's gone. so it goes.

instant coffee tastes like poo poo, and i even have pretty low standards. if you just want the caffeine go buy some bulk caffeine: that will at least last you awhile. anyways no one can say but brazil crops are looking grim and i can't say the long term prospects in columbia, ethiopia, indonesia, etc especially with leaf rot, are much better. but it'll probably still be available for several more years, just with massively increasing costs per lb and probably more frequent barren shelves. if you have $$$$ bigbux money, you'll probably be able to buy it a little longer than that.

depends on what type of tea. a lot of green-tea (and some black) types are grown in places like china and japan which are doing okay climate/resource-wise and can probably keep growing them for longer than coffee will be around (en masse). whether it's feasible to put them on container ships and drag em across the continent to dying america is another question but yeah it'll be around longer than coffee. other black teas grown in something like india are probably not going to be around a whole lot (in any significant quantity) because of also massive droughts. certainly worth looking into doing if you can just from a cost saver.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i quit drinking coffee a long time ago

just lol if you haven't looked death directly in its eyes enough times to wake up every day and say "lmao i'm still alive?" :350:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

While reading a bit about the issue i found let that roughly 100 million people are working as coffee farmers Worldwide. Holy poo poo, 1/80 people in the world are involved in producing Coffee just as a crop!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

While reading a bit about the issue i found let that roughly 100 million people are working as coffee farmers Worldwide. Holy poo poo, 1/80 people in the world are involved in producing Coffee just as a crop!

The British Empire went to war with China (partially) because of Tea.

If the global supply of coffee starts to run dry, it'll cause a war somewhere.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Son of Rodney posted:

agricultural work requires something like 25% of the global workforce still, despite huge advances in technology and fossil fuel consumption

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol @ coffee becoming extinct soon, I keep telling people about this when they vaguely go on about "it's not that bad, yet" in regards to the climate, and they always look at me like I'm crazy.

It also somehow gets people to stop for a second and actually contemplate cc, you can basically see their thought processes go from "that sounds bad -> will that really happen? - no, must be fine".

this is also the way of thinking that handed COVID the keys to the city before it even began

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

this probably came up when COP26 was discussed here but I just heard a prof who's active in artic research tell that when he gave a presentation there
the hall was just full of climate and other scientists with no prominent politicians in sight and I had a quiet lmao at how pinged he sounded over that realisation

like he's telling students during a lecture that one of the questions you will have to face after graduating is does climate science even matter when no one listens anyway

the hint of the aroma of doomer in a prim and proper university setting is such a treat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
coffee will literally always be available to the rich because they'll just pay someone to grow it in a controlled greenhouse. and even now tech bros are trying to create synthesized coffee. i don't expect it to ever be good but synthoffee could easily be a drink of the future

anyway\\

tea and yaupon are mostly just easygoing bushes. outdoors you can even grow them in big hedgerows in the us. it wouldn't be a probably to grow a few personal plants indoors, i mean look at what stoners do

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if you don't wanna give up caffeine just start growing yaupon holly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_drink

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my grandkids are gonna lose their mind when I tell them giraffes and whales used to exist

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smoobles posted:

my grandkids are gonna lose their mind when I tell them coffee used to exist

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol @ coffee becoming extinct soon, I keep telling people about this when they vaguely go on about "it's not that bad, yet" in regards to the climate, and they always look at me like I'm crazy.

It also somehow gets people to stop for a second and actually contemplate cc, you can basically see their thought processes go from "that sounds bad -> will that really happen? - no, must be fine".

Looks like people will just look for substitutes that surely will be accessible when you cant grow coffee like other plants wait poo poo that cant be right

smoobles posted:

my grandkids are gonna lose their mind when I tell them giraffes and whales used to exist

They won't care gramps

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I would think if capitalism demanded low coffee prices, we'd eventually see it produced in giant indoor farms

I know coffee plants are delicate and will die if you even look at them wrong, but if there's money involved titans of industry will prob figure it out, they'll knock down a few thousand acres of rainforest and put up some Bean Factories

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

They won't care gramps

That's true, by that time VR titties will be very realistic and distracting i think

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

smoobles posted:

I'm sorry your progeny will have to live through what's coming

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i managed to break my coffee dependency by going cold turkey for a few weeks. it was hard but not anywhere near as hard as quitting smoking.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i only drink coffee in the afternoon to stave off a nap but if the world ends i'll just take the naps

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

at the beginning of the pandemic, i cut myself down to one cup. Slowly over time, I started adding in decaf. I'm now at one daily cup with 5g of caffeinated coffee and 20g of decaffeinated coffee. I need to just drop it at this point, but it's a weird morning ritual. I've cold turkeyed other drugs in the past and had awful results, so this time, I'm on the world's slowest taper

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bi crimes posted:

at the beginning of the pandemic, i cut myself down to one cup. Slowly over time, I started adding in decaf. I'm now at one daily cup with 5g of caffeinated coffee and 20g of decaffeinated coffee. I need to just drop it at this point, but it's a weird morning ritual. I've cold turkeyed other drugs in the past and had awful results, so this time, I'm on the world's slowest taper

This sounds like a sensible plan. When you realise something is poisoning you but you're addicted, you slowly swap it out for something cleaner and keep going until you've cut the poison out of your life entirely, allowing you live a long healthier life.

I mean you'd have to be an idiot not to do it. An absolutely colossal idiot.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

lol i hope coffee goes extinct before i die because the uproar from the brunch crowd wil be absolutely loving gold

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Coffee won't go extinct, it'll just become a delicacy for rich people like caviar or decent healthcare

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
speaking of addictions I just want to live long enough to see the internet go away. I will miss you all but that's the final frontier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kicked Throat posted:

speaking of addictions I just want to live long enough to see the internet go away. I will miss you all but that's the final frontier.

Tonga down, 420 other countries to go

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Is there something article wise about this coffee sitch?

I have it somedays and not others. I've never felt it addictive at all. Nicotine however, and fancy liquors, which is why I've taken up growing tobacco and wormwood

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This sounds like a sensible plan. When you realise something is poisoning you but you're addicted, you slowly swap it out for something cleaner and keep going until you've cut the poison out of your life entirely, allowing you live a long healthier life.

I mean you'd have to be an idiot not to do it. An absolutely colossal idiot.

coffee doesn't poison people??

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
poison is a strong word but having a dependency on caffeine loving sucks and can have adverse health impacts if you have high blood pressure or gut problems already

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Son of Rodney posted:

It gets pretty staggering when you finally break open a window at the top of this ivory tower, look out past the glare, and behold the heaving mass of humanity we retain in a lifetime of bondage - existing only to furnish us with the consumer necessities we rely on for daily existence.

100 Million growing coffee, 10 million to cocoa, untold numbers slaving short lives in the cobalt mines, the festering masses chained unto death in the fashion sweatshops of Bangladesh.

Confront a Liberal with this reality, with the pricetag in human suffering for their comfortable western lives, and they'll do anything to recoil from it and paint you as the villain. You painted the window on the wall, it doesn't exist, "they" ended slavery a century ago and quality of life has never been better in human history!

They'll scream that delusion unto their last, parched, gasping breath.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Just eat Adderall
Bing bong brb gonna pluck the split ends from the back of my head all day at work

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

poison is a strong word but having a dependency on caffeine loving sucks and can have adverse health impacts if you have high blood pressure or gut problems already

well, yeah, but i'd like to think that's pretty obvious at least in this thread

anyway caffeine usually doesnt do much for me. i can go from having three coffees a day to decaf or none and it doesn't really bother me. some of my genetics tests suggest atypical caffeine metabolism, so maybe thats it

i just drink coffee because its fuckin delicious

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mediaphage posted:

It's a dependency, and dependencies suck, especially as supply chains breakdown. I don't want to be in withdrawal when the power shuts off. loving sucks if you really need the meds or whatever vs just recreational use

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mediaphage posted:

anyway caffeine usually doesnt do much for me. i can go from having three coffees a day to decaf or none and it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, this is me, too. Some days I'll drink a whole pot and sometimes I'll go a week without having any at all. I even drink coffee before bed pretty regularly. Took me a while to accept that caffeine withdrawal was actually a thing because I'm a solipsistic rear end in a top hat I guess.

edit-

bi crimes posted:

It's a dependency, and dependencies suck, especially as supply chains breakdown. I don't want to be in withdrawal when the power shuts off. loving sucks if you really need the meds or whatever vs just recreational use

caffeine leaves your system really, really quickly. it's not really a substantial dependency in that way.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

bi crimes posted:

i mean, caffeine also exists in pill form and it's pretty cheap

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mediaphage posted:

I know but then my post in the Biosphere Collapse thread doesn't work, just let me have this :mad:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i only drink black coffee and it owns getting served immediately at the cafe and saying "i'll be outside" to who im with instead of standing in the corner waiting for some kind of weird milkshake

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

caffeine leaves your system really, really quickly. it's not really a substantial dependency in that way.

i am aware. i have gone through benzo withdrawal, so it's nothing in comparison, but still. The withdrawal isn't dependent upon how quickly a drug leaves your body, it's your body's dependence and change in neurochemistry that causes the withdrawal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

smoobles posted:

Giraffes aren't real idiot

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Look at this loving thing. You think a neck like that would exist in nature? It would immediately flop over like a flaccid penis. Moran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

mediaphage posted:

well, yeah, but i'd like to think that's pretty obvious at least in this thread

anyway caffeine usually doesnt do much for me. i can go from having three coffees a day to decaf or none and it doesn't really bother me. some of my genetics tests suggest atypical caffeine metabolism, so maybe thats it

i just drink coffee because its fuckin delicious

I'm in the same boat. I love my morning hot bean water even if I'm not dependent. I'll be sad when it's gone.

Anyone try that mud watr product or whatever? Some sorta mushroom based coffee replacement.